Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

univbee posted:

It's also the only time I've seen a videogame being explicitly packaged in a way where it's not really meant to be played (even though you totally could, the data's all there).

who doesn't have 10 copies of FF7 on various platforms anyway...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Blame Gackt.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FireMrshlBill posted:

who doesn't have 10 copies of FF7 on various platforms anyway...

Especially when this was released (2005 I think?) it was essentially guaranteed that you were walking distance from a used store and could score a copy using whatever change was in your pocket. Also if you were spending the kind of scratch that Advent Children box cost, it was guaranteed you already owned a copy of FF7 anyway.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Thanks thread

:shepspends:

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Mace Bacon posted:

Thanks thread

Now you just need cables for your other consoles. Oh, and mods for the ones that don't output native RGB. Oh, and a nice SCART switch so you don't have to continually switch your plugs.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Mace Bacon posted:

Thanks thread

:getin: :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

Charles Get-Out posted:

Now you just need cables for your other consoles. Oh, and mods for the ones that don't output native RGB. Oh, and a nice SCART switch so you don't have to continually switch your plugs.

NESRGB Hasn't had the adapter board for the Original Famicom for months and it's killing me. I want RGB on my favorite console and they can't take my money. :argh:

If the Trinitron I got for free worked with PAL (it should, but for some reason PAL doesn't show colour :sigh: ), I'd Try and find RGB cables for my SC-3000 and Mega Drive, but I'd have to :retrogames: in order to get a properly working Trinitron, and getting one in the first place is a battle in it's own. Of course the solution for that is to get a JP Mega Drive and SC-3000, but I got both of those for free, and I like free things.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Apparently you can catch the boomerang in Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3. I did not know that when this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIU_iArlBfM

Is that you streaming? Maybe I am misinterpreting, but it sounded like you were telling chat to be E+, which I took as family friendly, then managed to curse several times right after catching the boomerang? Seemed a bit odd is all I'm saying.

REGARDLESS, that is pretty wacky, I never played the Advance editions of Mario, but something like that seems way out of left field for the game. Did we just not realize it could be done in SMB3?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Is that you streaming? Maybe I am misinterpreting, but it sounded like you were telling chat to be E+, which I took as family friendly, then managed to curse several times right after catching the boomerang? Seemed a bit odd is all I'm saying.

e+ is referring to the e-reader levels in Mario Advance. There is a literal e+ made out of coins on the screen at that moment.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Could you link me to the exact one? I went to their site and they have quite a few contact cleaners. I don't want one that will destroy anything.

https://www.radioshack.com/collections/cleaners-wipes/products/radioshack-control-contact-cleaner-and-lubricant

You have to kind of control yourself when using the stuff because if you spray too hard it gets everywhere.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I bought a Dreamcast last month, and I had been taking the VMU out to save battery. The past couple times I played the VMU beeped at me after shutting the console down and removing it. I had to redo the whole date and time thing for the VMU.

What is happening?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I bought a Dreamcast last month, and I had been taking the VMU out to save battery. The past couple times I played the VMU beeped at me after shutting the console down and removing it. I had to redo the whole date and time thing for the VMU.

What is happening?

Battery's dead.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Yeah, nothing you do will make the battery last longer. It was built to die.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Don't put batteries in your VMU, since saving is handled by a non-battery backed RAM chip anyway.

You know, unless you want to play one of those weird mini games.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There was a guy on eBay a while back who sold modified VMUs where he'd jammed in a little switch to flip that would cut the connection from the batteries to save power, and then let you switch it back on when you wanted to play the minigames. This was like 10 years ago though, but I always wanted to get one.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

How? I changed the VMU batteries when I got it. As in they are literally less than a month old. It beeped when it booted up then, but that's because it had the original batteries. Now it beeps when shutting down. I can still play around with the VMU outside of the Dreamcast.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

How? I changed the VMU batteries when I got it. As in they are literally less than a month old. It beeped when it booted up then, but that's because it had the original batteries. Now it beeps when shutting down. I can still play around with the VMU outside of the Dreamcast.

Might be the Dreamcast's internal battery that died. My DC has a dead battery so it beeps and I have to do the date whenever I boot it up

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

BORN TO DIE
SEGA IS A gently caress
Kill Em All 2001
I am Segata Sanshiro
410,757,864,530 DEAD VMUS

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

BORN TO DIE
SEGA IS A gently caress
Kill Em All 2001
I am Segata Sanshiro
410,757,864,530 DEAD VMUS

Want this shirt.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

Might be the Dreamcast's internal battery that died. My DC has a dead battery so it beeps and I have to do the date whenever I boot it up

Is this bad? Do I lose anything from this?

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Want this shirt.

I think pretty much anyone who owns a Dreamcast wants that shirt.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is this bad? Do I lose anything from this?

Just the Dreamcast's ability to keep time. Doesn't effect time or games besides maybe stuff like Seaman

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

GBA on your N64 with an Ultra HDMI Mod, that's wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjtD1mOZlPc

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Harlock posted:

GBA on your N64 with an Ultra HDMI Mod, that's wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjtD1mOZlPc

Oh man, I saw they put out that video today. I assumed the best picture for playing physical carts would be Retron5, GBA SP (or modded GBA), GC's Gameboy Player with component cables or gcvideo. Though I feel like a backlit+bivert DMG may be preferable to playing original GB games on a newer device (the black/white mode on GBC/GBA is ok but feels different). Will have to watch to find out.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
How are they playing GBA on an N64? No way am I watching that 1 hour video.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

How are they playing GBA on an N64? No way am I watching that 1 hour video.

I haven't watched it either but you can play GBA games on an N64 with a Wideboy64 AGB, which was used at trade shows of the time to get GBA games up on a TV. I've wanted one for a good long while but, as with everything, it's too drat expensive these days.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Not so much built to die so much as you can't make a battery that lasts forever no matter how hard you try.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

absolutely anything posted:

I haven't watched it either but you can play GBA games on an N64 with a Wideboy64 AGB, which was used at trade shows of the time to get GBA games up on a TV. I've wanted one for a good long while but, as with everything, it's too drat expensive these days.

Yeah that. They said some streamer paid about $1000 for the wideboy.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

wa27 posted:

e+ is referring to the e-reader levels in Mario Advance. There is a literal e+ made out of coins on the screen at that moment.

Well that makes a hell of a lot more sense!

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Yeah... It's not really supposed to beep when the DC turns off. Even if the DC's internal battery is dead. My guess is the VMU is near-dead and probably dies a second after the DC cuts power to it. If that's not it, then.... I don't know, your Dreamcast must be special.

EDIT: Ahh... I didn't see that the batteries still work. Maybe my VMUs have been dead so long that I forgot the real behavior.

azurite fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 9, 2016

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Drowning Rabbit posted:

REGARDLESS, that is pretty wacky, I never played the Advance editions of Mario, but something like that seems way out of left field for the game. Did we just not realize it could be done in SMB3?

As has already been answered, "Ee-plus" was in reference to the hamfisted plug by Nintendo for the thing I would have already have been using to play that level.

As far as the boomerang being something we could have always done, the answer is a resounding "no." According to brief research on the topic when I was cutting the video, it was added in for the E-reader levels, specifically. There's apparently also a card for it that gives you the boomerang as a weapon that only disappears when you become another Mario-type.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
For those who don't know, the Wii U Virtual Console version of SMB3 Advance includes all the e-Reader levels, including the levels that were never made available outside of Japan, and they modified the ROM a little to make them all accessible at once.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Mace Bacon posted:

Thanks thread

:shepspends::hf::shepspends:

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Retro Gaming Megathread: At least it's not heroin.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

To be fair I also own the SD2SNES and EDGB, but i didn't get them in one go, so well done on out :retrogames:-ing me.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

But you got 20% off, so it's actually a bargain.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
Think of all of the money you'll save not buying carts.

*continues buying carts*

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Quick question about flashcarts:

I don't have access to a PC right now, so I'm stuck with my laptop, which only has a microSD slot. The card came with a microSD to SD adapter, so I'm curious if anyone has ever used that setup on a flashcart? I'm probably going to get the Super Everdrive just because I'm completely new to this whole thing and I highly doubt I'd get much use out of any of the extra functionality that the more expensive options might have, but I want to make sure I'd even be able to download games in the first place.

Is there any reason the flashcart would do something weird if I downloaded stuff onto a microSD card, put that in the adapter, and then put the adapter into the cart instead of a standard SD card?

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

URL grey tea posted:

Think of all of the money you'll save not buying carts.

*continues buying carts*

Well sure, there's still the special chip SNES carts that aren't supported like SMRPG, Yoshi's Island, and the Kirby games, unreleased ones like Starfox 2, translations like Marvelous and.. :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

You should be completely fine. Someone earlier specifically mentioned using microSD with an adapter and had no problems.

I ordered an SD2SNES and a GB Everdrive. I have a modded SNES mini and a Super GameBoy 2 coming.

I still intend to buy carts for my favorite games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Quick question about flashcarts:

I don't have access to a PC right now, so I'm stuck with my laptop, which only has a microSD slot. The card came with a microSD to SD adapter, so I'm curious if anyone has ever used that setup on a flashcart? I'm probably going to get the Super Everdrive just because I'm completely new to this whole thing and I highly doubt I'd get much use out of any of the extra functionality that the more expensive options might have, but I want to make sure I'd even be able to download games in the first place.

Is there any reason the flashcart would do something weird if I downloaded stuff onto a microSD card, put that in the adapter, and then put the adapter into the cart instead of a standard SD card?

Card adapters work fine.

• Locked thread