Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
SteamVR has been updated with in-game Touch controllers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Lucid Dream posted:

If we establish exclusive content as the status quo now then we'll have to deal with it in perpetuity.
That's going to happen anyway, since consoles are now also part of the equation. Exclusives (hardware or otherwise) are always going to be a thing and I suggest making your peace with that. I really want to play Rez VR (among other non-VR things), but I don't own PSVR or even a PS4 and I have little interest in purchasing either so welp.

Also, I would be entirely unsurprised if the moment hardware exclusivity stops being a thing (on the PC end of things, anyway), people just shift to bitching about Oculus store exclusivity instead, like they already do for uPlay and Origin because it's not Steam.

Quill is neat as hell, and I look forward to seeing what people who are far more artistic than myself do with it. Haven't messed with Medium yet.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Helter Skelter posted:

Also, I would be entirely unsurprised if the moment hardware exclusivity stops being a thing (on the PC end of things, anyway), people just shift to bitching about Oculus store exclusivity instead, like they already do for uPlay and Origin because it's not Steam.

Oculus is still unique compared to the other stores because of lack of refunds.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

KakerMix posted:

Oculus is still unique compared to the other stores because of lack of refunds.
Not that it excuses it, but uPlay doesn't either, unless it's bought through Steam. poo poo, even Steam didn't for the longest time.

I hope that policy changes, but it's not unique.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:
Been trying to keep up with the Oculus Touch reviews in order to finally make a choice between Rift and Vive. It sounds like functional parity is there, but that Rift just takes a little more tinkering with the setup (plus maybe an extra sensor), while also having a more ergonomic controller. Is that what it all boils down to at this point?

Whoops, to clarify: by tinkering and extra sensor, I'm referring to roomscale capabilities.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Helter Skelter posted:

Not that it excuses it, but uPlay doesn't either, unless it's bought through Steam. poo poo, even Steam didn't for the longest time.

I hope that policy changes, but it's not unique.

Yeah for sure and it was lovely then and isn't now regarding Steam and refunds. If you are going to try to be like Steam you have to at least 1v1 it. Oculus saying 'not unless we are required to' regarding refunds is transparent as hell.

You are right though about people just wanting to bitch, tribalism is alive and well.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

XOIC of Radishes posted:

Been trying to keep up with the Oculus Touch reviews in order to finally make a choice between Rift and Vive. It sounds like functional parity is there, but that Rift just takes a little more tinkering with the setup (plus maybe an extra sensor), while also having a more ergonomic controller. Is that what it all boils down to at this point?
The rift is also marginally more comfortable to wear for long periods, not as front-heavy as the vive, and you can also read text at the edges due to their lens design.

The disadvantage is all software and marketing; the oculus store is still crap compared to steam, they are riding the exclusivity train and of course you have the politics and actions of the company owners which might sway your decision. But there's nothing that the vive can do that the rift can't except for huge room edge cases and uh I think unseen diplomacy?

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 8, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

XOIC of Radishes posted:

They are about the same. If you want standing, you just go to the center of your area and reset the tracking. I really wish they would add the ability to have a circle on the floor around the center so you can tell where you are. Setting up guardian is pretty much the same as setting up the Vive. You draw out how much area you have and it will pick an area out of that as your play area. I find that guardian is way too intrusive though. My area is small so guardian is constantly up. I would much prefer the options that Steam VR has. I had to turn guardian off because I was constantly staring at a bright blue grid.

SteamVR as it is now has better boundary options. There's been rumors of games being able to change what the guardian looks like but hopefully they will allow users to customize it as well.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Cojawfee posted:

They are about the same. If you want standing, you just go to the center of your area and reset the tracking. I really wish they would add the ability to have a circle on the floor around the center so you can tell where you are. Setting up guardian is pretty much the same as setting up the Vive. You draw out how much area you have and it will pick an area out of that as your play area. I find that guardian is way too intrusive though. My area is small so guardian is constantly up. I would much prefer the options that Steam VR has. I had to turn guardian off because I was constantly staring at a bright blue grid.

SteamVR as it is now has better boundary options. There's been rumors of games being able to change what the guardian looks like but hopefully they will allow users to customize it as well.

I have noticed that about Guardian. You have a very prominent blue grid around you, and the fade-out is very... chunky? At the last possible second during the fade-out, the whole entire Guardian grid hitches and freezes in place for a split second. Not frozen in world space, but frozen in your headset, so if you are moving the grid moves with you. It is very distracting.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

XOIC of Radishes posted:

Whoops, to clarify: by tinkering and extra sensor, I'm referring to roomscale capabilities.

Some people find one headset significantly more comfortable than the other (the Vive can accommodate larger heads for example, some people literally cannot put on the Rift at all) so at this point I'd say the differences are not significant on paper, but you might personally find you like one more than the other so you should try out both before you buy one.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

XOIC of Radishes posted:

I actually found setting up the Rift for (2-camera) roomscale to be much easier than running through the SteamVR room setup (since you need to do both to play SteamVR games on the Rift). Steam can get fiddly as poo poo if your play space is on the smaller end and Steam decides that it wants to put the play space at a diagonal for some reason and won't let you rotate it to fit without backing out, starting over, and hoping it works this loving time god drat it I've been at this for half an hour.

Aside from that they're both pretty painless, though. Cable management is a potential issue with the Rift, and if you're not buying a third camera immediately I would recommend a USB extension cable if you intend to do roomscale (cameras purchased separately from Touch or the headset have been confirmed to include an extension cable).

Also I do like that I can just pop in a fresh set of Eneloops whenever the batteries die (I don't know if anyone has actually had the included set die yet) rather than having to plug in the Vive wands to charge.

Cojawfee posted:

I would much prefer the options that Steam VR has. I had to turn guardian off because I was constantly staring at a bright blue grid.
There's a toggle that'll just leave the floor border on and turn off the wall grid.

E: I also like that it'll use the largest available rectangle of space for the purposes of telling games what the size of your play area is, but still show you the actual borders you drew out during setup rather than SteamVR's "I don't care that there's a bunch of room beside your couch, you get a rectangle like everyone else" method.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 8, 2016

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Helter Skelter posted:

I actually found setting up the Rift for (2-camera) roomscale to be much easier than running through the SteamVR room setup (since you need to do both to play SteamVR games on the Rift).

You do? I was able to run SteamVR with no problems & my guardian area just *worked*

It was super, super easy to get both working - so much so I spent like 20 minutes trying to run SteamVR setup to no avail.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

IMO

Vive:

Pros, in loose order of significance:

Brighter (IMO the vive's greatest strength), vivid colors
Fov is a bit bigger
Large case playspace is better
longer hmd cable
Handles glasses well
Less apparent god rays

Cons, in loose order of significance:

Big bulky and heavy, with stupid straps
Limited to SteamVR games, a mostly bad indie game collection with little hope on the horizon
Tiny area of the screen is in focus
Lower effective resolution (less of the panel is being used)
Worse software environment, currently without ASW and ATW wasn't working well last time I tried
Laborious process to start up, headphones are a pain
overall stupid controller design, heavy
Cheap feeling construction and parts
They want you to mount the lighthouses, or you've got to use a tripod or just shelves if they're conveniently placed. In most cases transportation is a pain.
poo poo microphone

Oculus

Pros, in loose order of significance:

Light small and comfortable, with a good 'strap' system
Crisp, beautiful picture with lots of detail & higher effective resolution
wide area of the screen is in focus
Amazing controllers
Superb build quality
Semi-AAA software catalogue as well as SteamVR access
Great ease of use, and quick startup
Good software environment with amazing voodoo magic ASW
Extremely convenient headphones solution with generally good sound
Easy and flexible to set up tracking
Great microphone

Cons, in loose order of significance:

Dimmer picture
Smaller FOV
Less capable of (10+ ft)^2 playspaces
Glasses don't fit very well
HMD cable is shorter
God rays more apparent when applicable

I'd personally reccomend the Rift, with the caveat of giving it a try first if you always wear glasses. (I don't, but I think there's third party glasses-friendly foam, I don't know how well they work)

Fooz fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 8, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The screen brightness isn't such a big deal as people claim. Humans can only tell relative brightness, not absolute. There's no physical way for any person on Earth to say "That screen is however many lumens" just by looking at it. Once you get into a headset and your eyes adjust to the brightness of the screen, you're not really going to notice. It's never been such a big difference that it bothers me even in rapid A/B testing. The colors may be a bit duller in the rift though.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Pryce posted:

SteamVR has been updated with in-game Touch controllers.

hell yeah

edit

Helter Skelter posted:

I actually found setting up the Rift for (2-camera) roomscale to be much easier than running through the SteamVR room setup (since you need to do both to play SteamVR games on the Rift). Steam can get fiddly as poo poo if your play space is on the smaller end and Steam decides that it wants to put the play space at a diagonal for some reason and won't let you rotate it to fit without backing out, starting over, and hoping it works this loving time god drat it I've been at this for half an hour.

There's a way to fix that? I've tried to redo the play area in steamvr a few times and it keeps putting it at a forty-five degree angle each time for whatever reason.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 8, 2016

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

The screen brightness isn't such a big deal as people claim. Humans can only tell relative brightness, not absolute. There's no physical way for any person on Earth to say "That screen is however many lumens" just by looking at it. Once you get into a headset and your eyes adjust to the brightness of the screen, you're not really going to notice. It's never been such a big difference that it bothers me even in rapid A/B testing. The colors may be a bit duller in the rift though.

Well I do notice it, the vive experience is more vibrant and impactful at first glance, where the rift gives a more demure impression. Once you settle in though, the rift just provides this stunning clarity and detail & looking at small things up close in it still blows my mind, while the Vive just frustrates me with a low res image and useless peripheral vision. You've got to pivot your head to glance at anything like an owl.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

hell yeah

edit

There's a way to fix that? I've tried to redo the play area in steamvr a few times and it keeps putting it at a forty-five degree angle each time for whatever reason.

It sort of picks its "forward" direction based on the shape you draw, you can edit it once you draw your square and rotate it to face the direction you want (may require some resizing manually to fit within the drawn area though).

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'd go with Rift due to the controllers I think. They're so just goddamned good.

Really though, either one is good. Just pick one and don't worry about what incremental improvement you may be missing out on.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Vive has a passthrough camera that I use all the time that I would miss if it were gone, although I'm not sure I'd want it if I never had it to begin with.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 8, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

drat, I badly want Superhot VR but not badly enough that I'll chuck an extra wad of cash equal to the original cost of the game, which was already overpriced. Kickstarter backers got bloody lucky with the VR and the game keys at the same one-off price.

E: And Unspoken looks really fun, and Climb is probably great, but none of them seem worth the cash especially due to the risk of ReVive support not being good enough.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

KakerMix posted:

Rift has a passthrough camera that I use all the time that I would miss if it were gone, although I'm not sure I'd want it if I never had it to begin with.

Vive? Seconding this, though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

El Grillo posted:

The Oculus standard foam is pretty comfortable I've found - or maybe now it's just Touch games are distracting I'm not noticing any discomfort.

When I first put the CV1 on I was like "This is the most torturous thing in the world". Then I went and made the straps as loose as possible without the thing slipping off my face, and tilted the headset so the weight rests mostly on my forehead (basically no pressure at all on my cheekbones). Now it's super comfy and I love it. My aforementioned boyfriend with the huge IPD also wears huge glasses to go along with it and he doesn't like the pressure it puts on his face at all, I think the glasses don't actually fit in the Rift, so he's hosed.

As for the Touch controllers (and I guess this would be a problem with the Vive wants too) the only thing I don't like is that in games like Dead and Buried I am most accurate and comfy if I fire a handgun from a Weaver stance, with my weak hand cupping my other hand, so I basically have to hook my weak hand pinky around the ring of the Touch (so it's not hanging off my wrist by the strap), in order free up my weak hand to support my dominant hand. It's not the end of the world though, and it looks really cool in Dead and Buried because in-game it kind of looks like you're fanning the hammer.

Edit: Also this took me 10 minutes to figure out, but in Rec Room paintball you spawn with the gun in your right hand, I thought it was stuck that way but you can use the A button to drop it and pick it up with your left, and the game will actually take note of that and you'll continue to spawn with it in your left.

Edit 2: Also again, Rec Room is free for both HMDs and is awesome, I played more Dodgeball and it is still amazing, and Paintball is loving awesome, it is capture the flag with teleportation (on a cooldown so it is fair, and limited range), and has riot shields, paint grenades, and you can pick up a dead opponent's gun for dual wielding (but you have to drop it to grab a flag. It is really well balanced and well thought-out.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 8, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Pass through camera is incredibly useful if you are doing lots of roomscale, so that is a definite advantage of the vive.

Rift controllers are definitely better than vive but the vive controllers are still really good. That being said I prefer the vive controllers overall because I like to be able to crawl (I'm weird).

Setup is much easier for the Vive IMO, yes mounting the sensors is a tiny PITA but the time I spent with the rift and its over-adundance of USB cables really rubbed me the wrong way. Having to get a super long USB cable to run all along the perimeter of my room to do proper roomscale was not that nice.

If you want to do sit down, or largely forward facing gaming, and you don't have a bighead/glasses you need to wear the rift is probably your choice.

Otherwise I would still pick up a vive.

Someone also said vive is limited to only steamvr titles. That is half correct. There are applications that require almost no tinkering and allow you to play any and all vr titles in the vive pretty much problem free. Its not a perfect solution (blame Oculus for this) but its there. However straight out the box, yes Oculus has more title support.

Either way, hop aboard the vr train.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

drat, I badly want Superhot VR but not badly enough that I'll chuck an extra wad of cash equal to the original cost of the game, which was already overpriced. Kickstarter backers got bloody lucky with the VR and the game keys at the same one-off price.

E: And Unspoken looks really fun, and Climb is probably great, but none of them seem worth the cash especially due to the risk of ReVive support not being good enough.

I haven't messed with Revive much yet but I can try and see how well it works with those games if you're interested

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Vive has a passthrough camera that I use all the time that I would miss if it were gone, although I'm not sure I'd want it if I never had it to begin with.

There are times where I wish I had a pass through camera and then I remember that ugly cyan filter that steam puts on the pass through camera, then I just lift the headset up to look.

Knifegrab posted:

Rift controllers are definitely better than vive but the vive controllers are still really good. That being said I prefer the vive controllers overall because I like to be able to crawl (I'm weird).

You can crawl with both. After some quick testing, with both controllers I would have to crawl with my weight on the outside edge of each hand while still holding each controller normally. On both you can just hold the ends of the controller handle to get more surface area on the ground. Neither is very good for crawling as they both are shaped poorly for sitting on the ground.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Cojawfee posted:

You can crawl with both. After some quick testing, with both controllers I would have to crawl with my weight on the outside edge of each hand while still holding each controller normally. On both you can just hold the ends of the controller handle to get more surface area on the ground. Neither is very good for crawling as they both are shaped poorly for sitting on the ground.

I don't see how you can come to this conclusion. I have both my controllers with me right now. With the vive I just crawl, I don't have to think about anything, I just tilt my hand slightly and its great.

With the rift I have to seriously adjust how I'm holding it and put all of my weight on my elbows to keep my hands elevated so as not to put undue pressure on the rings.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I impulse-bought Onward and Raw Data last night, but didn't get a chance to play either because I was too busy figuring out why ReVive wasn't working (until I eventually copped to Just Reboot The drat Computer Already, Genius). Looking forward to giving both a go.

I'm still annoyed and frustrated by how much social presence in VR bugs me. I was mucking about in one of the games in Rec Room last night, someone addressed me by name asking if their mic was working, and I freaked and left the room like a scared child :smith:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

I don't see how you can come to this conclusion. I have both my controllers with me right now. With the vive I just crawl, I don't have to think about anything, I just tilt my hand slightly and its great.

With the rift I have to seriously adjust how I'm holding it and put all of my weight on my elbows to keep my hands elevated so as not to put undue pressure on the rings.

I don't know, I just put my hands on the ground. The ring on the touch controller might touch the floor a bit but I'm not putting any pressure on it and I'm able to put weight on my hand.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

I have both my controllers with me right now. With the vive I just crawl, I don't have to think about anything, I just tilt my hand slightly and its great.

I kind of agree with this, though I do get equally nervous about the top ring on the Vive wands (mostly because I'm afraid if I stop concentrating I'll roll my fists over on top of the controllers and press down on the angled part). I think that's more a problem with me and how awkwardly I move than the controls, though.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Which controller allows for easier penis access?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Nuts and Gum posted:

Which controller allows for easier penis access?

The vive has a hole for it ;)

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Fooz posted:

Well I do notice it, the vive experience is more vibrant and impactful at first glance, where the rift gives a more demure impression. Once you settle in though, the rift just provides this stunning clarity and detail & looking at small things up close in it still blows my mind, while the Vive just frustrates me with a low res image and useless peripheral vision. You've got to pivot your head to glance at anything like an owl.

Spoiled by a QNIX screen and being a goober that turns up color saturation a little high, the Rift does look a little muted out of the box. I'm happier with the saturation turned up a bit which I had to do by plugging a monitor into the HDMI port, going in Nvidia control panel (good luck AMD folks), turning up the saturation to maybe 62? then swapping back to the Rift. Setting sticks through reboots and so far driver updates; definitely recommend jumping through the hoop to try it out. Don't go as blingin high as you might on a monitor though or it looks weird/bad.

Hey y'all remember like 2 years ago when the thought of playing call of dooky or whatever on a fake big screen maybe with the fake stereo 3D sounded like 'the future doth approacheth' and now that everyone has controllers and cool games have been coming out holy poo poo it's here and so much better!

:vrfrog::pcgaming::vrfrog:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

teh_Broseph posted:

Spoiled by a QNIX screen and being a goober that turns up color saturation a little high, the Rift does look a little muted out of the box. I'm happier with the saturation turned up a bit which I had to do by plugging a monitor into the HDMI port, going in Nvidia control panel (good luck AMD folks), turning up the saturation to maybe 62? then swapping back to the Rift. Setting sticks through reboots and so far driver updates; definitely recommend jumping through the hoop to try it out. Don't go as blingin high as you might on a monitor though or it looks weird/bad.

Hey y'all remember like 2 years ago when the thought of playing call of dooky or whatever on a fake big screen maybe with the fake stereo 3D sounded like 'the future doth approacheth' and now that everyone has controllers and cool games have been coming out holy poo poo it's here and so much better!

:vrfrog::pcgaming::vrfrog:

Carmack stole it from Zenimax also did you know that Palmer luckey doesn't wear normal shoes at all also where is the porn??? Sounds like a fad imho

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Craigslist Casuals, looking for someone to show me there VR machine, dont be weird

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Crawling with Touch is possible but probably not as easy as the Vive wands. I wouldn't make my purchasing decision based on it.

Right now my Rift sensors are tilted up to see me so I don't actually have tracking within like five inches of the floor. This makes Job Simulator difficult.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Well if you're like me, you already have a Vive so just use the mounts you used for the lighthouses for the cameras and you should be set. :smugdog:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
The vive HMD doesn't feel overly heavy to me, and once you're used to how the straps work, putting it on is pretty simple.

I loving hate the cable and how it binds itself up so easily. Surprised I haven't decked it by tripping over the drat thing. I'm almost wanting that 100% wireless setup.

Almost.

Falken fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 8, 2016

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Falken posted:

The vive HMD doesn't feel overly heavy to me, and once you're used to how the straps work, putting it on is pretty simple.

I loving hate the cable and how it binds itself up so easily. I'm almost wanting that 100% wireless setup.

Almost.

Yeah what's the deal with that? I'd pay 200 bucks for full wireless hmd if it had the same performance.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

AndrewP posted:

Yeah what's the deal with that? I'd pay 200 bucks for full wireless hmd if it had the same performance.
Slight, very slight delay I hear. I'm going to see what people think about it before I put any more of my car respray fund into being a shut-in nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Knifegrab posted:

The vive has a hole for it ;)

I've made a terrible mistake.