Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

oldpainless posted:

When I look forward to a slice of pecan pie and when I check there is no pecan pie so I can't have any pecan pie.

That really gets me.

More like oldpieless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Cleretic posted:

People who put up a barrier of ownership or experience before you can 'really' criticize something.

Very recently the thing that hit me on that was an assertion that I can't call the Final Fantasy game with no female characters in its main party the worst in the series for female representation, because if you PLAYED it you'd know that ACTUALLY it really respects women. And I know that's a pretty nerdy and pedantic version of it, but I've hit it so hard elsewhere. I've dug deep into political volunteering over the past year, and to so many people you're just not allowed to have political opinions until you've got a child and/or a house.

It's one thing to note that something is different once you've experienced it, and so outside criticism might not land right. But it's quite another to refuse any and all criticism of something, even on simple levels, until someone has experienced as much of it as you have.

Ditto this with parents saying "you don't know tired until..." gently caress you, I literally ran 55 miles and have been up since noon yesterday and it's now 7 PM, I'm allowed to loving say I'm tired. I don't know what tired is like because I don't have kids? Why can't I say you don't know tired because you've never run an ultramarathon? See also, people who do something and say "I feel like I just ran a marathon." I get it, it's an expression and by itself it's not a big deal, but when they try to win the Suffering Olympics by saying they're SO tired because they have kids that they feel like they ran a marathon, doesn't that mean actual marathon runners are allowed to be more tired than them?

Oh, but it's a "different kind of tired." gently caress you, you took a nap yesterday and got three hours of sleep while I was literally running until I went blind. I win this round.

Also, we both signed up for this--me for running unreasonable distances, and you for bringing a child into the world. Neither of us should really be complaining.

Though I really do love shutting their "I'm so tired/broke/dirty/stressed" complaints with a shrug and a "that's why I didn't have kids." It doesn't help when they're fishing for sympathy, but it shuts them up.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I guess I'm lucky there - my parents understand that despite the fact I work fewer days, those days are 12 hours long so being too tired to give a poo poo is my default now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Ditto this with parents saying "you don't know tired until..." gently caress you, I literally ran 55 miles and have been up since noon yesterday and it's now 7 PM, I'm allowed to loving say I'm tired. I don't know what tired is like because I don't have kids? Why can't I say you don't know tired because you've never run an ultramarathon? See also, people who do something and say "I feel like I just ran a marathon." I get it, it's an expression and by itself it's not a big deal, but when they try to win the Suffering Olympics by saying they're SO tired because they have kids that they feel like they ran a marathon, doesn't that mean actual marathon runners are allowed to be more tired than them?

Oh, but it's a "different kind of tired." gently caress you, you took a nap yesterday and got three hours of sleep while I was literally running until I went blind. I win this round.

Also, we both signed up for this--me for running unreasonable distances, and you for bringing a child into the world. Neither of us should really be complaining.

Though I really do love shutting their "I'm so tired/broke/dirty/stressed" complaints with a shrug and a "that's why I didn't have kids." It doesn't help when they're fishing for sympathy, but it shuts them up.

People are sick of hearing you talk about marathon running and are trying to change the subject. Like to their kids.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

People are sick of hearing you talk about marathon running and are trying to change the subject. Like to their kids.

Fair enough, but it goes both ways.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

areyoucontagious posted:

My parents are toxic, abusive, garbage human beings and my pet peeve is all the loving morality plays that happen over Christmas that seem to emphasize that "family matters most" when the reality is that sometimes people are pieces of poo poo that should be cut out of your life.

Biggest peeve for me on holidays is the excessive dick-waving some people do to try to look better than someone else. It's gone from "hey let's spend time together and have fun" to "I BOUGHT THE BEST/MOST EXPENSIVE GIFT THEREFORE I AM BETTER THAN YOU"

Same for unappreciative bratty kids that throw a tantrum when they don't get what they want. Count your blessings little turd, you could have it a lot worse than not getting that precious 3DS game you wanted.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I just got a notice that I was 6 minutes late to a meeting. The person who scheduled it did so for a time in the past, I guess she wanted an impromptu meeting and just rounded down? So imagine my "oh poo poo, I'm late for a meeting I didn't know about" when it turns out I hadn't even gotten the invitation yet.

So I make my way to the conference room maybe 50 feet away, and in the 30 seconds or so it takes me to get there, she's cancelled and rescheduled it for tomorrow.

poo poo, woman, get it together. We're all in the same department, so if you need something RIGHT THIS SECOND, just pop into my office. Decorum hasn't stopped you from barging in before.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I just got a notice that I was 6 minutes late to a meeting.

And here I thought you were supposed to be fast.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

One of my bosses turns every conversation into something about her kid. It's a nightmare. He can't even talk, he's so boring. He also isn't relevant to a conversation about our wine selection or something that happened in the bar last night.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Biggest peeve for me on holidays is the excessive dick-waving some people do to try to look better than someone else. It's gone from "hey let's spend time together and have fun" to "I BOUGHT THE BEST/MOST EXPENSIVE GIFT THEREFORE I AM BETTER THAN YOU"

Same for unappreciative bratty kids that throw a tantrum when they don't get what they want. Count your blessings little turd, you could have it a lot worse than not getting that precious 3DS game you wanted.

This post perfectly describes my in-laws. I've never met a more materialistic and self-centred group of people in my life. Spending Christmas with them is pure torture. My mother in law will either literally throw a hissy fit if she doesn't like what you got her, or just rudely toss it aside with the most cursory and insincere thank you you've ever heard.

It's cliche as gently caress, but my mother in law is the source of many a pet peeve for me. Imagine someone who is a raging narcissist, dumb as a sack of poo poo, and dresses like she put on her teenage granddaughter's clothes by mistake.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

WampaLord posted:

More like oldpieless.

:(

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

when people find out literally anything about your life and suddenly have SIX MILLION BITS OF ADVICE about whatever you're doing. And it's always poo poo that doesn't apply or won't work. Yoga isn't going to magically cure my clinical depression, Deborah.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I'm totally unable to do that because I only ever buy DVDs or books for gifts, although there was a pretty great exception for my dad's birthday - I decided to get him something a little unusual so I got him a wooden box puzzle game thing (Lid is 6 numbered pieces, roll the included die and close/open whichever panel it lands on - objective is open the box all the way). Turned out he actually used to have that when he was a kid so I accidentally bought him nostalgia :3:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

I dunno why but your sad face made me look up "painless pie" and this was in the first dozen or so results

oldpainintheasspieless?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Oldpieintheass, I'd wager.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Sociopastry posted:

when people find out literally anything about your life and suddenly have SIX MILLION BITS OF ADVICE about whatever you're doing. And it's always poo poo that doesn't apply or won't work. Yoga isn't going to magically cure my clinical depression, Deborah.

I got to experience this thorn in my side lastnight. I went to a paid research group lastnight, we all had to introduce ourselves and say what we do for work, when I said i'm unemployed the guy in charge piped in with 'I heard the fast food joint down the road is looking for staff, have you applied there? I'm sure they'll take you on hurr'. Thanks for thr great unwanted advice numbnuts from out of town, but it just so loving happens we have the highest unemployment in the state for a loving reason and yes I've applied, there and everywhere else. But thanks for looking down on me and giving me poo poo advice.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Tarantula posted:

I got to experience this thorn in my side lastnight. I went to a paid research group lastnight, we all had to introduce ourselves and say what we do for work, when I said i'm unemployed the guy in charge piped in with 'I heard the fast food joint down the road is looking for staff, have you applied there? I'm sure they'll take you on hurr'. Thanks for thr great unwanted advice numbnuts from out of town, but it just so loving happens we have the highest unemployment in the state for a loving reason and yes I've applied, there and everywhere else. But thanks for looking down on me and giving me poo poo advice.

Oh god I hate that so much.

OH I NEVER THOUGHT TO APPLY TO PLACES. I THOUGHT JUST WISHING FOR A JOB WOULD GET ME ONE HOT drat WHAT A REVELATION.

Alternatively, "when I was your age..." when you were my age 5 dollars could buy you all the poo poo you need to make dinner and now it won't even buy a pound of hamburger so maybe eat my rear end.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I dunno why but your sad face made me look up "painless pie" and this was in the first dozen or so results

oldpainintheasspieless?

More like perfectlypainless

(he did specify pecan, after all)

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
Yet another driving peeve: the road I normally take to work is under construction right now. They have been intermittently closing the right lane to accommodate this, however, they have basically just left the right lane closed sign up every single day, even on days when it actually is open. The construction really clogs up the road too, so trying to get over into the left lane is a pain in the rear end. I turn right off of this street, so I need to be in the right lane eventually. Basically, every time I fight my way over into the left lane, it turns out the right lane isn't closed after all, so I look like a jackass and have to merge back over. On days where I go "gently caress it, looks like it's open today" and just stay in the right lane, it is inevitably closed just a little further down than normal. Then I have to merge over at the last minute, again looking like a total jackass. Such a minor thing, but its so annoying! I wish they would just take down the sign when the lane is actually open!

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I will never understand the logic of closing down lanes for construction during commute hours. Yes, working at night or only in midday sucks. But do you think closing down major roadways at 8 am on a Tuesday is a good idea?

The woman who scheduled a meeting in the past from yesterday rescheduled it to this morning. It's one of those "why are we having this" meetings. She sat us down and lectured us on how to write our goals.

For context: this woman is a brand new hire, fresh out of law school, swears she passed the bar (but no one can find her on the state bar website), and the two of us she was lecturing have been here at least two years and already know how to write goals. We've done it before and the process hasn't changed.

I get that she's eager and all, but simmer down, girl, some of us have actual work to do.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I really love when it snows and it happens so infrequently here in Portland that it's nice when it finally happens. It really loving annoys me that my employees use even the lightest dusting of snow as an excuse not to make it into work. It started snowing well after the morning traffic around here, so main roads are going to be perfectly clear and typically snow is gone by the evening. The first flake hits the ground any my evening crew immediately text about how nervous they are and that the roads are already getting real bad. Come the gently caress on. Yeah, maybe it'll keep snowing and accumulate and maybe not melt by 6pm, but the roads are not already bad. Just say you want a snow day or admit you're a huge wuss about driving in the snow.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

genetic_knockout posted:

Yet another driving peeve: the road I normally take to work is under construction right now. They have been intermittently closing the right lane to accommodate this, however, they have basically just left the right lane closed sign up every single day, even on days when it actually is open. The construction really clogs up the road too, so trying to get over into the left lane is a pain in the rear end. I turn right off of this street, so I need to be in the right lane eventually. Basically, every time I fight my way over into the left lane, it turns out the right lane isn't closed after all, so I look like a jackass and have to merge back over. On days where I go "gently caress it, looks like it's open today" and just stay in the right lane, it is inevitably closed just a little further down than normal. Then I have to merge over at the last minute, again looking like a total jackass. Such a minor thing, but its so annoying! I wish they would just take down the sign when the lane is actually open!

Mine is that people don't realize that waiting until the last minute to merge is what you're supposed to do and actually makes traffic flow faster. It's called zipper merging. It works.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Sociopastry posted:

OH I NEVER THOUGHT TO APPLY TO PLACES. I THOUGHT JUST WISHING FOR A JOB WOULD GET ME ONE HOT drat WHAT A REVELATION.

Alternatively, "when I was your age..." when you were my age 5 dollars could buy you all the poo poo you need to make dinner and now it won't even buy a pound of hamburger so maybe eat my rear end.

I usually reply with "So uh what had your parents done when they were your age" and since in my country the reply is 95% of the time "fought in and survived several brutal wars and went straight on to building this nation" that usually kinda clues them onto how dumb that comparison is.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Sociopastry posted:

When I was having trouble finding work and started looking into retail positions my Dad started in with the old man gem "Just walk right in and ask to talk to the manager, look him in the eye, shake his hand" etc.

Part of what I did at my previous job was tell the people walking in doing that exact thing that they needed to go home and go through the online application process.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It can help in retail jobs in my experience. Gives the manager a face to remember and if you're not some freak they'll know that you really are interested in that particular job. I mean you still need to fill out an application first of course.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I remember the "speak to a manager" people. First off, back of house, or front of house manager? Then they'd name one of the owners. Uh, they own three restaurants, they don't just hang out here, thus the managers. Do you know what job you're looking for? Oh, "any"? Okay, you sound experienced...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When I did it I just asked for the person in charge of hiring

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
At my workplace, every single department has a different hiring manager, and every one of them HATES when people come in trying to talk to them or hand in physical applications/resumes. It's especially bad when people come in and say they applied online and want to talk to the hiring manager, but don't even know which department they applied for. Coming in or calling repeatedly is the fastest way to get on the "obnoxious fucker, do not hire" list.

Sure, that's not the case everywhere, but I know from experience that it's super annoying when you're job hunting and people who haven't applied for a job in 15+ years try to give you outdated, counterproductive advice.

Here's another work peeve: I hate when managers turn me down for supervisor positions, and tell me that I should be more of a leader and "act like a supervisor in my current role". Like, that's not how it works... I'm not gonna go around bossing folks around and telling them how to do their loving jobs when I have zero authority over them. Especially when 80% of our current supervisors don't give enough of a poo poo to tell people not to take extra long breaks or mouth off to customers. Don't loving turn me down for a job that should come with a raise, then tell me to do the job anyway.

One of my coworkers recently applied for supervisor and they told her the same thing, so she went ahead and started doing it. Surprise surprise, now everyone else on the team hates her and constantly talks poo poo about how she's bossing them around and trying to act like a supervisor.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Master Twig posted:

Mine is that people don't realize that waiting until the last minute to merge is what you're supposed to do and actually makes traffic flow faster. It's called zipper merging. It works.

One of my few driving pet peeves that really bothers me, because it's super dangerous: If I'm in the right lane of the expressway and someone is merging into my lane when entering the expressway and decides to 1. stay in the merging lane until the last minute, despite ample opportunities and no traffic or anything and, more importantly, 2. tries to accelerate ahead of me to merge despite there being almost no time/space left to do so. It's gotten to where I'll shift into one of the middle lanes on the off-chance that the person merging is a dumb rear end in a top hat. And these are all situations where I'm going pretty fast myself and there's plenty of space behind me so all they would have to do is slow down a bit and get in behind me.

El Cid posted:

When I was having trouble finding work and started looking into retail positions my Dad started in with the old man gem "Just walk right in and ask to talk to the manager, look him in the eye, shake his hand" etc.

This brings to mind a related pet peeve - people who have a pathological need to give other people advice (often when they don't even have any expertise in the area). I don't know why some people do this, but I suspect it's because they're insecure and really want to be someone who other people look up to and seek out for advice. My dad is like this, and what makes it worse is that a large portion of the time the advice he gives is flat out wrong (but he'll act all offended/hurt if I point that out). It's generally pretty obvious when someone is like this versus just having good intentions and wanting to help.

Ytlaya has a new favorite as of 23:50 on Dec 8, 2016

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Ytlaya posted:

and there's plenty of space behind me so all they would have to do is slow down a bit and get in behind me.

This right here gets me every time.

People look both ways, see that there's just barely enough time to turn in front of me and then proceed to gradually accelerate up to speed. If you saw there's enough space in front of me then surely you could see that there is absolutely nobody behind me! Why? Why do people need to take the very first opportunity that pops up instead of the second, obviously safer option that only requires an extra 3 seconds of waiting? And why, if you cut somebody off like that, wouldn't you at least get up to speed quickly?

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Ytlaya posted:

This brings to mind a related pet peeve - people who have a pathological need to give other people advice (often when they don't even have any expertise in the area). I don't know why some people do this, but I suspect it's because they're insecure and really want to be someone who other people look up to and seek out for advice. My dad is like this, and what makes it worse is that a large portion of the time the advice he gives is flat out wrong (but he'll act all offended/hurt if I point that out). It's generally pretty obvious when someone is like this versus just having good intentions and wanting to help.

I know I've complained about this before (I complain a lot, apparently!), but my mom does this even before I'm done describing a problem. Or even if there's no current problem to solve.

"Oh, I have to send an email to financial aid--"
"You should just call and set up an appointment with someone!"
"Well, that's what the email's for, since it's hard to get ahold of them during work--"
"Have you left a message?"
"Yeah, but they always call back when I can't take it."
"You can--"
"Emailing is fine, it's not really an issue."
"Oh well okay, just for future then-- maybe you can get them right after work.."

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Sociopastry posted:

My mother tries to give me exercise advice when I am close to finishing PTA school and know more about exercise than she does.

She also is constantly telling me how to do things I already know how to do, like she can't accept that I know things or that I might prefer to do it my way or that I am not as horribly inexperienced as she thinks. Especially in the car. It's always stupid poo poo, too. Thanks, mom, but I know how to change lanes.

She is the most annoying passenger.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
In a conversation, maybe not a serious one, but discussing, say, shopping on Amazon and the like. Something both parties are involved in and neither are bored. It's Person A's turn to talk. But about two sentences in explaining something, Person B screams "BEE! BEEEEEEEE!"

Now, it's too cold for bees. In theory. I've seen them out and around and since I just came inside, someone screaming that they see a bee sends me into half panic mode and spinning around to see where the fucker is.

Oh. No. Person B is now hysterically laughing as she points as the ornament on the Xmas tree. It's a letter B.

But it's FUNNY, Cowslips!

No, no it's not loving funny. You are not a loving LOL SO RANDOM teenager wearing Hot Topic clothes and screaming about Invader Zim. We have lots of animals that could die if a bee stung them, I will get really sick if a bee stings me, so no, it's not funny. How about you start screaming fire in a crowd and then explain to everyone that you're just being funny?

IF YOU HAVE TO EXPLAIN A JOKE, IT'S NOT A loving JOKE.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

IF YOU HAVE TO EXPLAIN A JOKE, IT'S NOT A loving JOKE.

see also: offensive racist/sexist/homophobic "jokes" that aren't jokes at all, but when you call them out on being shitheads it's suddenly "oh you have no sense of humor it was just a joke"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I really hate it in TV shows or whatever when some "ethnic" character will throw in words in their native language and then immediately follow them up in English. "I'm a throwing una fiesta grande! A big party!"

No one talks like this! And everyone knows what a fiesta is!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Real code switching is much funnier anyways.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
Peeve: you have a specific problem and are looking online for a solution, to no avail. Finally, you happen across an obscure forum where someone else has posted the exact same question, and........there are no answers.

Peeve: chronically negative and miserable people who suck all the joy out of everything. I had this convo yesterday:

Person: how's everything going?
Me: oh pretty good. Today at work we had a staff appreciation lunch, so that was pretty cool.
Person: Must be nice to not hate your life. I dread going to work every single day, but I guess I'm getting used to being poo poo all over constantly.

drat! Like I get hating your job and realize that everyone needs to vent, but pretty much every time I talk to this person, this is what happens. It's getting kind of old.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

genetic_knockout posted:

Peeve: you have a specific problem and are looking online for a solution, to no avail. Finally, you happen across an obscure forum where someone else has posted the exact same question, and........there are no answers.

It's even worse when it's a thread with pages of replies so you think you've found the answer, only to find out every reply is "I have the same problem" and monthly bumps of "anyone ever figure this out?".

Related: people that find a solution to a problem they know a lot of people have and refuse to share it because it gives them an advantage at work are incredibly annoying. Or more generally, people who just don't care to help anyone once their problems are taken care of, which I'd imagine is what happens to a lot of those threads that are forever-unanswered.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looking for help on how to do something that could be answered in 3 sentences but the guy insists on making a 9 minute rambling Youtube video instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Mu Zeta posted:

Looking for help on how to do something that could be answered in 3 sentences but the guy insists on making a 9 minute rambling Youtube video instead.

Ugggh I hate that too. My husband loves to watch terrible Youtube videos like that for help with various things, and it drives me crazy. Why the gently caress would I want to watch some 20 minute video of some guy loving around when I can like read an article and be on my way in like two minutes??