Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know what would be pretty cool? If it turned out that when Supergirl said, "My cousin sometimes works with a crime-fighter who uses gadgets," she was actually talking about Batgirl, who on her Earth is Iris West, and Joe is commissioner of the Gotham City police. I know it'll never happen but I think that would be a fun twist. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Wheat Loaf posted:

You know what would be pretty cool? If it turned out that when Supergirl said, "My cousin sometimes works with a crime-fighter who uses gadgets," she was actually talking about Batgirl, who on her Earth is Iris West, and Joe is commissioner of the Gotham City police. I know it'll never happen but I think that would be a fun twist. :D

I love this and want it to happen so badly

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Only if Earth-1 can import this better and more interesting Iris after Savitar kills their Iris.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Guh I just thought up a whole fanfic of Supergirl meeting Batgirl this morning, why can't we have Batgirl, Gotham exists.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Because Batman is DC's golden goose and they're terrified of killing it.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Oracle posted:

Because Batman is DC's golden goose and they're terrified of killing it.

Implying it's possible to have a worse Batman story than the BvS movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's Gotham.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Hearsay is that it's significantly improved, is that not true?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Kraps posted:

Implying it's possible to have a worse Batman story than the BvS movie.
Batman is DARK and GOTHIC and VIOLENT and GRIMDARK and that's the cool poo poo kids love these days about their superheroes, all those funny bright Marvel movies catering to GENERAL AUDIENCES are just a flash in the pan.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

How much of the tv rights to Batman does fox hold anyway?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kraps posted:

Hearsay is that it's significantly improved, is that not true?

The opinions of the kind of people who enjoy Gotham should not be valued.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm still hoping for a Crisis that brings down that dimensional barrier, but before, or even instead of that, I'd be thrilled to see E-39 versions of the Flash and Arrow crews.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kraps posted:

Guh I just thought up a whole fanfic of Supergirl meeting Batgirl this morning, why can't we have Batgirl, Gotham exists.

Same but Batwoman. DADT is still recent enough that her backstory works

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bleeding Cool had said there were rumors of Batwoman and Oracle appearing on the show but Berlanti called them dumb and wrong.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Kraps posted:

:hfive:

I don't even particularly care which batgirl. Babs, Cass or Steph would all be cool.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

howe_sam posted:

:hfive:

I don't even particularly care which batgirl. Babs, Cass or Steph would all be cool.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Wheat Loaf posted:

Earth 38 Iris as Batwoman/Batgirl would be an awesome "crossover" episode. Also now that Kara knows Tiny Ray can we get adventures in the Bottle City of Kandor? Kara and Alex as Nightwing and Flamebird.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Bring in Starfire and Raven so Kara can have some super powered gal pals.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Bring in Starfire and Raven Terra so Kara can have some super powered gal pals.

Fixed that for ya.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Fixed that for ya.

I assume you mean Conner's Terra (Atlee iirc) and not the Markovian one

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like Raven. I will admit I'm just trying to back door teen titans into Supergirl.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

back door teen titans

I think I saw that one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

I think I saw that one.

Banned for underage.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cold open next episode with her debrief, doing impressions of everyone.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Bring in Starfire and Raven so Kara can have some super powered gal pals.

Natasha Irons would be a great character for this show.

No doubt she'd keep making oblique references to "my uncle", though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Natasha Irons would be a great character for this show.

No doubt she'd keep making oblique references to "my uncle", though.

Given that they just decided Natasha's bi in the comics, they'd probably have her be in a dumb love triangle with Maggie and Alex.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've just thought it would have been a lot cooler if Jimmy had become Steel rather than Guardian.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd be down with Lana Lang showing up, actually. Especially the modern action scientist version.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've just thought it would have been a lot cooler if Jimmy had become Steel rather than Guardian.

Steel is in Legends of Tomorrow.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That's a different Steel.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Aleph Null posted:

Steel is in Legends of Tomorrow.

Yeah the Steel in Legends of Tomorrow is Citizen Steel, Wheat Loaf is talking about Steel.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Piell posted:

Yeah the Steel in Legends of Tomorrow is Citizen Steel, Wheat Loaf is talking about Steel.
And if even comics nerds can't keep them straight no way they're going to introduce that complexity into the CW shows, where they think people can't differentiate between movie Batman and tv Batman.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No, you're thinking of Citizen Batman. The difference is he's wearing hockey pads.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Piell posted:

I didn't realize that there were two Steels. I guess that's why I wondered why he didn't have a big ol' hammer?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Aleph Null posted:

I didn't realize that there were two Steels. I guess that's why I wondered why he didn't have a big ol' hammer?

At least when Marvel does this, there's some connection. DC just loves reusing names with absolutely no connection. See also Atom, Mr. Terrific, the various flag-themed heroes in and about the JSA who are connected in the most ludicrous ways, etc.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The second Mr. Terrific is directly inspired by the story of the first one told to him by an actual Angel of God.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

That would suck. John Henry Irons is one of my favorite fictional names.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Test Pattern posted:

At least when Marvel does this, there's some connection. DC just loves reusing names with absolutely no connection. See also Atom, Mr. Terrific, the various flag-themed heroes in and about the JSA who are connected in the most ludicrous ways, etc.

At least with the Steels, the original was a golden age character who wasn't in use so "Steel" was relatively safe. Citizen Steel was a reference to that golden age character though and Steel was at least not MIA or anything so that was odd in that regard.

Some of the similarly used names were because of DC basically making new characters with old names as Silver Age reinventions as traditional (at the time) superhero comics hit a decline post-war. The silver age reinventions were a way to capitalize on the sci-fi trends of the era.

Shade and Shade, the Changing Man are probably the oddest pair of unrelated characters who were both reinvented in the 90s. The former was a recurring, though relatively minor Flash villain who appeared in both the golden and silver age and was also a foe of Starman. The latter was originally created by Steve Ditko in the 70s and then was cancelled after several issues. The former reappeared in '94 and reinvented as a mentor for the new Starman while the latter showed up as a Vertigo series as a more bizarre and reality bending version of himself that was reborn a lot.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Aphrodite posted:

The second Mr. Terrific is directly inspired by the story of the first one told to him by an actual Angel of God.

Man comics are dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xelkelvos posted:

At least with the Steels, the original was a golden age character who wasn't in use so "Steel" was relatively safe. Citizen Steel was a reference to that golden age character though and Steel was at least not MIA or anything so that was odd in that regard.

Some of the similarly used names were because of DC basically making new characters with old names as Silver Age reinventions as traditional (at the time) superhero comics hit a decline post-war. The silver age reinventions were a way to capitalize on the sci-fi trends of the era.

Shade and Shade, the Changing Man are probably the oddest pair of unrelated characters who were both reinvented in the 90s. The former was a recurring, though relatively minor Flash villain who appeared in both the golden and silver age and was also a foe of Starman. The latter was originally created by Steve Ditko in the 70s and then was cancelled after several issues. The former reappeared in '94 and reinvented as a mentor for the new Starman while the latter showed up as a Vertigo series as a more bizarre and reality bending version of himself that was reborn a lot.

I always think of Shade the Changing Man alongside Animal Man and Swamp Thing. Some talented writer came along and picked up an old forgotten character and made them something super new and interesting while not actually changing or invalidating any of the old stuff.