Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Schizotek posted:

we Republicans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

I changed it from "we still lose out" to "the republicans still end up stronger". Try not to read too much into a typo.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Schizotek posted:

I changed it from "we still lose out" to "the republicans still end up stronger". Try not to read too much into a typo.

s'cool

just thought it was funny, lol

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gin and Juche posted:

For Dept of Health I nominate Joe Camel

No, Trump's health secretary pick Tom Price doesn't want to 'phase out' Medicare

Donald Trump’s pick for Health and Human Services secretary, Rep. Tom Price, R-Ga., has a plan to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act. But a Democratic website says he wants to go further and nix Medicare, the federal health insurance program for seniors and the disabled.

"Trump’s Health Secretary Pick Wants a Medicare Phase Out by Summer 2017," reads a headline on a Winning Democrats article posted Dec. 1. Over the next week the post generated 14,000 likes.

The Winning Democrats article frames Price’s position as ending Medicare.

"In short, Americans can expect Republicans in Congress to begin their effort to wipe out Medicare in one swoop, which would harm millions of Americans immediately and millions more in the years to come as Medicare no longer exists to help older Americans pay for health care without having to deal with all the bulls--- private insurance companies do," reads an excerpt from the piece.

Democratic claims that Republicans wanted to end Medicare were pervasive in previous years, so much so that the claim "Republicans voted to end Medicare" won the 2011 Lie of the Year.

Price’s alleged position is significant since Trump promised to leave Medicare alone as president. More recently, however, Trump’s transition website says he wants to "modernize Medicare so that it will be ready for the challenges with the coming retirement of the Baby Boom generation -- and beyond."

Does Trump’s HHS pick actually want to discontinue Medicare?

We found that Price does favor changing Medicare, but it’s wrong to say he wants to end it.

Price’s plan does not equal phasing out Medicare

Price’s spokesperson sent PolitiFact the Fiscal Year 2017 Budget Resolution as a basis for Price’s plan. The resolution was prepared by the House budget committee, of which Price is chairman.

The plans does not include ending Medicare.

The suggested plan would be similar to the Medicare Advantage program. Beneficiaries would pick from a list of government-approved plans and the government would make a payment to the insurers to help cover the cost of the plan.

Paul Ginsburg, a public policy professor at the University of Southern California, called the "phase out" claim false.

"The FY17 budget resolution says some things about Medicare, but they appear to be along the lines of more private-plan alternatives to traditional Medicare," Ginsburg said. "However, it is not at all clear how these would differ from Medicare Advantage plans, which have attracted more than 30 percent of Medicare beneficiaries."

Ginsburg wasn’t alone. None of the experts we interviewed said Price’s plan amounts to getting rid of Medicare. Experts did agree, however, that Price’s plan would dramatically change how Medicare works.

"I do not equate Price’s plan to ‘phasing out Medicare,’ though the plan would significantly change how Medicare works, converting it from a defined benefit program (beneficiaries guaranteed a certain level of coverage) into a defined contribution program (beneficiaries given a fixed dollar amount with which to buy coverage)," said Michael Spearer, a health policy and management professor at Columbia University.

That’s a serious change, but the Winning Democrats story makes it sound as if Price is referring to phasing out Medicare.

Here’s how the remark appears in the story:

That quote originally appeared in a Nov. 17 Talking Points Memo article, "Rep. Tom Price Reveals Republicans Eyeing Medicare Overhaul In 2017."

So the Winning Democrats frames Price’s quote to refer to phasing out Medicare, when the remark was in reference to a Medicare overhaul.

Our ruling

Winning Democrats said Price wants to phase out Medicare by summer 2017.

Price favors an overhaul of Medicare, but the phrase "phase out" is too strong and gives readers the specific impression Medicare won’t exist under Price. Medicare will exist, and Price’s preferred plan for its future is laid out in detail in the 2017 Fiscal Year Budget Resolution.

In addition, the article offers little to no evidence to support the idea that Price wants to end Medicare. We rate this claim False.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
very few things or people incite a murderous rage within me and politifact is near the top of that list

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

R. Mute posted:

syrian family: hey belgium, can we come over? we qualify for a humanitarian visa, we have friends who'll vouch for us financially in belgium as well
theo francken, noted fascist and secretary for immigration: nah
belgian courts: uh, let them in or you (the state) will have to pay a fine of €4000 a day
ol' theo: i think ill just appeal and hope they'll die during the process
belgian higher courts: let them in, imo
theo: i lust for muslim death and also this is my face:

this guy looks just like his australian counterpart , peter dutton

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Schizotek posted:

2018 already favored Republicans, so even if we do way better than projected, the Republicans still end up stronger than they will be after this past election. Not that we shouldn't try to mitigate that as much as possible, but 2016 was when we were supposed to rack up seats to weather the 2018 storm. Also regarding the initial examples of womens issues, the womens pay issue came up way more often in Hillary in the DNC's media, and abortion was comparatively untouched.

Only in that Republicans traditionally show up more in the midterms than Dems. That's no guarantee, although it's certainly likely. But it was likely Hillary would be getting sworn in next year. I think we can say with certainty that turnout for Dems is going to be higher than it would if Hillary had won. How much remains to be seen. And Hillary isn't an outside the box thinker no matter how you slice it. She can't be divorced from the major democratic trends over the last 20 years.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 8, 2016

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

we don't want to get rid of Medicare we just want to completely change how it works

*points gun at politifact writer* now split those hairs or I swear to God I'll shoot

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it's not abolishing the institution if you don't formally shut it down or change the name

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it's like someone put fishmech in charge of punditry

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
http://africasacountry.com/2016/12/africa-is-a-country-joins-jacobin/

cool

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

NATO General Exmarx posted:

this guy looks just like his australian counterpart , peter dutton
the european potato-men

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
Politifact, 2018: Furthermore, the Atlantic referred multiple times to "concentration camps" and "internment camps" for undocumented immigrants and legal citizens of hispanic origin. We believe this language to be too emotionally charged and loaded. One can compare this with the clearly consistent labeling by the trump administration of "detention and labor centers". No evidence exists from the administration that any incidental deaths that took place at these facilities were intentional in any way, so we therefore see the Atlantic's characterization as misleading and rate their claim Pants On Fire.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/mmurraypolitics/status/806912926913282053

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Good name change.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

trump is considering exxon ceo for secstate :eyepop:

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it's like he's considering it a challenge to make each decision be worse than the last

this time yesterday I was marveling at how surely Linda McMahon would be the stupidest decision yet

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Celery Jello posted:

it's like he's considering it a challenge to make each decision be worse than the last

this time yesterday I was marveling at how surely Linda McMahon would be the stupidest decision yet

Oh my sweet child the stupidity of this administration will continue until Trump dies of old age.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Mustached Demon posted:

Oh my sweet child the stupidity of this administration will continue until Trump dies of old age.

I'm more than aware, I just don't think I'm ever going to find the bottom of my despair :(

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Celery Jello posted:

I'm more than aware, I just don't think I'm ever going to find the bottom of my despair :(

The bottom of a bottle of cheap bourbon. That's where you'll find it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mustached Demon posted:

The bottom of a bottle of cheap bourbon. That's where you'll find it.

If you want despair I'd advise Wild Irish Rose.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

who hasn't been considered for secretary of state at this point

barack obama, mark mcgwire, fishmech

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

hot take: defeatism in the face of failure, while understandable, amounts to nothing more than submission in the face of peoples more than happy to see you depressed

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Chelb posted:

hot take: defeatism in the face of failure, while understandable, amounts to nothing more than submission in the face of peoples more than happy to see you depressed
thanks mr. tzu

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

as an lgbt man living in texas i'm more focused on what i should do to improve my own personal safety and security while confronting a future more uncertain than it was a month ago

ideally that would mean transferring colleges to somewhere in california or the east coast; failing that, UT Austin or some other liberal city

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
learn to crush a man's eyeballs with your thumbs while feeling no remorse

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Get a basset hound

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Tiler Kiwi posted:

learn to crush a man's eyeballs with your thumbs while feeling no remorse

wise advice

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...melt-heart.html :33333333

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i've been at work for half an hour and have already been informed by three different people that it's friday :geno:

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Avshalom posted:

i've been at work for half an hour and have already been informed by three different people that it's friday :geno:

not in the best time zone :smuggo:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Happy 2016, everyone!

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

rip john glenn

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
who

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Glad it got out while he could.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

actually, wrong, it didn't melt my heart, instead, the dog should be melted, and the ten thousand dollars should have been spent on poor people diseases. that dumb dog and it's droopy face are going to get the shock of it's life, when it dies, and goes to hell, for being a class oppressive sicko dog.

i'm sorry it's been a long day

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

spaceman

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
major tom lives

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Tiler Kiwi posted:

actually, wrong, it didn't melt my heart, instead, the dog should be melted, and the ten thousand dollars should have been spent on poor people diseases. that dumb dog and it's droopy face are going to get the shock of it's life, when it dies, and goes to hell, for being a class oppressive sicko dog.

i'm sorry it's been a long day
vanya is up to six thousand in medical fees over the course of his lifetime jsyk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
biggest medical expenditure for a pet ive done was paying to have my cat killed in my arms

• Locked thread