Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mirthless posted:

My solution would have been to understand this was an issue the American people just didn't care about - no matter how much I didn't like that fact - and focused on issues that I could convince them were important, instead. This is opposed to what we did do, which was attempt to passive aggressively guilt trip America into realizing they were being dicks.

There are times and places to fight certain battles. Fighting a battle for the souls of syrian refugees is noble, but we chose a lovely time to do it and there's a lot more people who are going to be hosed as a result, and I am way more likely to meet any one of these people than I am to meet the syrian farmer family who genuinely deserve health and safety but are literally ten thousand miles away from me now when there are people starving in my city

edit: for the record I am not saying "because we want to do one, we cannot do another", so much as I am saying "(in part) because we tried so hard to do this one thing, now we can't do it or anything else"

Respectfully, I'm not sure I buy this idea that we should have avoided the issue because it was unpopular. And how was saying "Those people aren't monsters, they are human, they've been driven out of their homes and they need a place to go. We're a country of immigrants and if we turn them away we are validating everything ISIS says about us" an instance of us "trying too hard"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

comingafteryouall posted:

this is spineless bullshit. There are a lot of Democratic voters that care about the refugee issue and it would have been a disservice to ignore it.

There are a lot of independent and conservative voters that think islamic terrorism is a real problem and our efforts to convince them of anything but that point have ended in utter failure. We do not have the support of the media, we do not have the support of the electorate, and the terror attacks continue.

This isn't about what Democratic voters want. This was never about what Democratic voters want. We lost the election because "what Democratic voters want***" was the only thing we could focus on this election

(***"the good ones")

Alter Ego posted:

Respectfully, I'm not sure I buy this idea that we should have avoided the issue because it was unpopular. And how was saying "Those people aren't monsters, they are human, they've been driven out of their homes and they need a place to go. We're a country of immigrants and if we turn them away we are validating everything ISIS says about us" an instance of us "trying too hard"?

the part where we kept talking about it after the Pulse shootings

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

racists bad don't be racist

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
is there a reason y'all are engaging with the gamergate moron?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mirthless posted:

the part where we kept talking about it after the Pulse shootings

So your solution is "welp we've lost, time to throw in the towel and play it safe"? Isn't this why we lost in November? Courage of conviction is far more worthy of respect than blowing with the political wind, no matter which end of the spectrum you are on. It's why some people on the right respected Bernie Sanders, even if they thought he was wrong about everything, and it's why so many people on this very forum feel such contempt for many prominent Democratic politicians for not coming around on gay rights until it became clear that it was "safe" to do so.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Mirthless posted:

We don't have tens of thousands of white christians trying to immigrate into the country from a place where we are currently at war with like a dozen different groups who all look like said refugee group

I don't side with the right on this issue but I at least recognize I am in the minority of Americans. Most people are loving terrified of islamic terrorism and you're not going to convince them they're being irrational by telling them they're being irrational. We didn't have the political capital to make a refugee push happen, so why did we waste political capital on it at all?

Another dumb thing the we have consistently done: Pointed out that our domestic islamic terrorists were home-grown terrorists who weren't officially affiliated with Isis. No poo poo, really?! Technicalities don't erase body counts! If Isis is taking credit and the shooters did the shooting in the name of Isis, the fact that they didn't have an official ISIS corporate credit card is probably not worth mentioning but it does make us look like weak intellectuals who obsess over semantics.

This is more of what I'm getting at. There's a certain consistency and honesty that liberal politics in general has seen erode over the last 10 or 15 years. Fox News brought about a polarization of media outlets and in the process the liberal platform was forced to adopt a lot of tribalist bullshit to maintain an opposed front against that onslaught, but I think in the long run it has weakened them to moderates. Not everyone who is concerned about terrorism is a racist rube, and neither is everyone who is concerned about immigration and crime. Many of the decision made by the Dems, while I'm sure they were done for what was perceived as the right reasons, are a turn-off to the average swing or moderate voter.

"Why aren't we checking the immigration status of criminals currently in custody and enforcing that law?" is a reasonable question.

"Why is the media on the left reflexively bringing out the mantra for tolerance against Muslims during a terrorist attack or mass shooting, but not with any other demographic?" is also a valid question. I know why. Most D&D posters know why. But to many average people who see the same routine over and over again, it just appears to be picking sides.

There has to be a certain amount of consistency to the arguments put forth and the tribalist mentality prevents that. If you're going to advocate for tolerance and understanding, you should probably do it universally instead of in select situations. If you're going to advocate for rule of law, you should probably not ignore the law when it's inconvenient to your side.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

new phone who dis posted:

"Why is the media on the left reflexively bringing out the mantra for tolerance against Muslims during a terrorist attack or mass shooting, but not with any other demographic?" is also a valid question. I know why. Most D&D posters know why. But to many average people who see the same routine over and over again, it just appears to be picking sides.

Because we're not worried about white convenience store clerks and random passersby being attacked for "looking white" after a white guy shoots up a church or an abortion clinic. We don't instinctively ask white politicians to answer for the actions of all white people.

Conversely, I don't think I can remember a domestic terrorism incident perpetrated by a person with a Muslim-sounding name that wasn't immediately followed up by at least one incident of anti-Muslim violence.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Alter Ego posted:

So your solution is "welp we've lost, time to throw in the towel and play it safe"? Isn't this why we lost in November? Courage of conviction is far more worthy of respect than blowing with the political wind, no matter which end of the spectrum you are on. It's why some people on the right respected Bernie Sanders, even if they thought he was wrong about everything.

We had courage of conviction on this issue for the most part and we looked like weaklings in the face of terrorism. If you think this is a conviction the right would respect, I envy you, because you have way more faith in them than I do.

I live in the heart of conservative America and the syrian refugee issue was something nobody out here ever shut up about. I got the same from my mostly leftist family in Michigan. There is support for this in some parts of the country but in a lot of places it is about as toxic an issue as you can get. We lost voters because of this, I guarantee it. We didn't even get substantially more muslim voters than we normally do in the process.

My solution is "we should throw in the towel because this is a fight that is literally impossible for us to win." Maybe we can have a rematch in four-eight years when we don't have the kids of first generation immigrants shooting up a building every two weeks for a year.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
I feel like we're not taking advantage of poo poo like what Booker said here enough. Any sort of mobilizing force that drowns out his phone lines and his social media presence whenever he does that stupid poo poo is good. Make him afraid of his seat in 2019 and he'll reel in long before 2019 gets here.

I think we should be looking at turning over the seats that we can at local and regional levels and scaring everyone shitless with our impending votes at higher levels. Establishment dems are definitely scared and we should make them much much more scared.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Also if we'd actually managed to win the presidency we could have done something for, say, the sikh gas station clerks of the world over the next four to eight years as anti-islamic hate crimes in the US inevitably get worse

Unfortunately, because we are The Party of Principles, we can now do close to nothing for any of those people.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Alter Ego posted:

Because we're not worried about white convenience store clerks and random passersby being attacked for "looking white" after a white guy shoots up a church or an abortion clinic. We don't instinctively ask white politicians to answer for the actions of all white people.

Conversely, I don't think I can remember a domestic terrorism incident perpetrated by a person with a Muslim-sounding name that wasn't immediately followed up by at least one incident of anti-Muslim violence.

If you don't think that there is a large, vocal portion of the American left currently demanding that all white people answer for the crimes of all other white people, you aren't paying attention. Also, if you don't think hate crime is being perpetrated against white people as a result of current politics, you have your head in the sand. It's even worse when ostensibly neutral organizations that have been infiltrated by the left attempt to suppress that information:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/dec/5/southern-poverty-law-center-omits-trump-related-ha/

new phone who dis has issued a correction as of 21:33 on Dec 8, 2016

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

If you don't think that there is a large, vocal portion of the American left currently demanding that all white people answer for the crimes of all other white people, you aren't paying attention. Also, if you don't think hate crime is being perpetrated against white people as a result of current politics, you have your head in the sand. It'
s even worse when ostensibly neutral organizations that have been infiltrated by the left attempt to suppress that information:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/dec/5/southern-poverty-law-center-omits-trump-related-ha/

Aaaaaaaaaand you just quoted the Moonie Times. Pretty sure that's like the bibliographical Godwin's Law.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

If you don't think that there is a large, vocal portion of the American left currently demanding that all white people answer for the crimes of all other white people, you aren't paying attention. Also, if you don't think hate crime is being perpetrated against white people as a result of current politics, you have your head in the sand. It's even worse when ostensibly neutral organizations that have been infiltrated by the left attempt to suppress that information:

Well I'll see you guys on the balcony.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

i regret that my viewpoints have, in venn diagram fashion, overlapped with yours

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Alter Ego posted:

Aaaaaaaaaand you just quoted the Moonie Times.

Here's the post.

http://nypost.com/2016/12/05/report-buried-trump-related-hate-crimes-against-white-kids/

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Can't believe all those white kids got called cracker. Must have really put the fear of God in them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Post is a tabloid. You're zero for two.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

lol humanity does not deserve existence

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Mirthless posted:

Maybe we can have a rematch in four-eight years when we don't have the kids of first generation immigrants shooting up a building every two weeks for a year.

this has happened like four times in the past two years lol maybe this is why everyone thinks we have an Islamic terrorism scare problem

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Oxxidation posted:

The Post is a tabloid. You're zero for two.

Maybe if you keep your head down there in the sand long enough, Hillary will finally be president when you come out.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Former Everything posted:

black people are the real racists

There are not "real" racists, anymore then there is a "real" America.

Anyway, speaking of racism, let talk about criminal justice reform, or rather lets look at Hillary's proposals (and thus the current DNC platform) and why they were lovely.

The Source:
https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/criminal-justice-reform/

So reading this there isn't anything that pokes out as BAD, any obvious problems have long since been focus grouped away. But there are several reoccurring themes which act as a smokescreen to big problems of law enforcement, and thus the root of many social justice problems.

quote:

Strengthen bonds of trust between communities and police

Effective policing and constitutional policing go hand in hand. We can—and must—do both by:

Bringing law enforcement and communities together to develop national guidelines on the use of force by police officers, making it clear when deadly force is warranted and when it isn’t and emphasizing proven methods for de-escalating situations.

Acknowledging that implicit bias still exists across society—even in the best police departments—and tackle it together. Hillary will commit $1 billion in her first budget to find and fund the best training programs, support new research, and make this a national policing priority.

Making new investments to support state-of-the-art law enforcement training programs at every level on issues like use of force, de-escalation, community policing and problem solving, alternatives to incarceration, crisis intervention, and officer safety and wellness.

Supporting legislation to end racial profiling by federal, state, and local law enforcement officials.

Strengthening the U.S. Department of Justice’s pattern or practice unit—the unit that monitors civil rights violations—by increasing the department’s resources, working to secure subpoena power, and improving data collection for pattern or practice investigations.

Doubling funding for the U.S. Department of Justice “Collaborative Reform” program. Across the country, there are police departments deploying creative and effective strategies that we can learn from and build on. Hillary will provide assistance and training to agencies that apply these best practices

Providing federal matching funds to make body cameras available to every police department in America.

Promoting oversight and accountability in use of controlled equipment, including by limiting the transfer of military equipment to local law enforcement from the federal government, eliminating the one-year use requirement, and requiring transparency from agencies that purchase equipment using federal funds.

Collecting and reporting national data to inform policing strategies and provide greater transparency and accountability when it comes to crime, officer-involved shootings, and deaths in custody.

So all of those things are cool and good, but there is a conspicuous lack "stick" to the policies. What happens if a police department just ignores those things? For example, she wants (means tested, of course) funding for body camera's for "every police department in America." Sounds good, but what if the police department of Ferguson just says "no thanks." I guess the plan is just to kick some dirt and say "shucks, at least we tried?"
What if police departments continue to mis-use deadly force even after they received their "training?"
What if the newly funded federal group to monitor civil rights violations can't actually get the information they need from the police departments, because they are constantly being stone-walled, and of course the police deleted the evidence after they killed the next Michael Brown?
Basically I'm asking where is the Accountability for the police? It's not there, and it was never going to be there.

When is the supposed party for social justice going to actually attempt to pass policies that will actually support social justice?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
It only gets closer to that figure when you count in all the white guys slaughtering children and peaceful Bible studiers.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mirthless posted:

Also if we'd actually managed to win the presidency we could have done something for, say, the sikh gas station clerks of the world over the next four to eight years as anti-islamic hate crimes in the US inevitably get worse

Unfortunately, because we are The Party of Principles, we can now do close to nothing for any of those people.

So we become the party of inclusion...except when it looks too politically difficult?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Being fearful over X-on-white crime instead of white-on-X crime is like putting on hearing protection for a mosquito instead of a jackhammer.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Maybe if you keep your head down there in the sand long enough, Hillary will finally be president when you come out.

Yes, sure, tail between your legs, off you go.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

I would personally love to see what a hate crime against a white kid looks like. :allears:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Fullhouse posted:

this has happened like four times in the past two years lol maybe this is why everyone thinks we have an Islamic terrorism scare problem

Yeah, I was engaging in some ripe hyperbole but the Pulse and San Bernadino shootings were practically back to back and had massive body counts. It was still a bad loving time.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

I for one am really looking forward to Hillary 2020.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

MizPiz posted:

I would personally love to see what a hate crime against a white kid looks like. :allears:

See, no consistency. Hate crimes are bad but gently caress those white kids they can handle it. Oh poo poo how come all these white people voted against us?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

MizPiz posted:

Go find the video of that white guy who accidentally hit a black kid with his car in Detroit a couple of years back and then got dragged out of the car and literally beaten nearly to death for his trouble

Severe brain damage, a months long coma, permanent memory loss

P. sure the kid he hit didn't even have to go to the hospital

(you won't love seeing it though because legitimate hate crimes are really loving scary and gross)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Just a reminder of the quote in question:

quote:

Politicians don’t appeal to us. Clinton would go out of her way to appeal to minorities, immigrants, but she didn’t really for everyday Americans.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm not sure how much clearer I can be really. The conflict of 'immigrants and minorities' vs 'every day americans' is one coming entirely from a white nationalist view. Those people are every day americans too.

If you asked them whether there are black "Everyday Americans" do you honestly think they would deny that? Did she even say it was bad to appeal to those groups? The problem doesn't seem to be that Hillary tried to appeal to those groups, the point of contention seems to be that Hillary did not appeal to her and her social circle in particular.

Here's a easonable reading of that statement:
"Hillary does a lot of work to try and appeal to groups I and my peer group are not a part of"
"I wish Hillary would try to appeal, in a similar way, to a group I consider myself part of"
"I see myself and my peer group as everyday Americans"
"Hillary did not appeal enough to that group"

White nationalism is a possibility, but it is very much an assumption on your part and absolutely not required to hold that mindset. A far more reasonable final assessment is "This person voted for Trump because they felt Hillary ignored them and the people they cared about, and when they said 'everyday Americans' those were specifically the people they were thinking about"

You seem to go out of your way to assume the worst possible reading of something, when in many situations the rationale is (in my experience) a lot more local, a lot more personal, a lot more emotional and a lot less thoroughly thought out than you assume it is.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

40% of surveyed said they have seen attacks on minority students

20% of surveyed said they have seen attacks on white students

war on whites says cspam poster

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I saw a video of some children (like 10 year olds) where a white girl called a black boy racial slurs for at least a full minute before he got fed up and punched her in the face

I imagine that's probably a good chunk of the anti-white hate crimes

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

GlyphGryph posted:

White nationalism is a possibility, but it is very much an assumption on your part and absolutely not required to hold that mindset. A far more reasonable final assessment is "This person voted for Trump because they felt Hillary ignored them and the people they cared about, and when they said 'everyday Americans' those were specifically the people they were thinking about"

You seem to go out of your way to assume the worst possible reading of something, when in many situations the rationale is (in my experience) a lot more local, a lot more personal, a lot more emotional and a lot less thoroughly thought out than you assume it is.

I think Tatum just has a very, very hard time with nuance

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Then can we at least agree that if the person who said it wasn't a racist, that it was extremely inelegantly phrased and made it sound like she didn't think immigrants and minorities are "every day Americans"?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

MizPiz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-_Ah1RzgEc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hdH5TtjnLw

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

See, no consistency. Hate crimes are bad but gently caress those white kids they can handle it. Oh poo poo how come all these white people voted against us?

So you don't actually have an example. At least Mirthless tried.

Mirthless posted:

Go find the video of that white guy who accidentally hit a black kid with his car in Detroit a couple of years back and then got dragged out of the car and literally beaten nearly to death for his trouble

Severe brain damage, a months long coma, permanent memory loss

P. sure the kid he hit didn't even have to go to the hospital

(you won't love seeing it though because legitimate hate crimes are really loving scary and gross)

Seems pretty clear to me he nearly got killed because he's a poo poo driver, not because he was white. Mob justice is just a normal crime.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
hate crimes against white people are the real problem in amerikka and also here is an article that proves it

*posts a link to the national enquirer*

if only you stupid fuckin libs had realized that tolerance is what lost you this election maybe you would have a chance in the future but since its obvious that u wont change ur mind i guess we all deserve donald trump as president

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
hey everybody the centrist whose centrist husband put into law and policy things which imprisoned tens of millions of minorities and permanently damaged minority communities might not have been good for minorities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Powercrazy posted:

There are not "real" racists, anymore then there is a "real" America.

Anyway, speaking of racism, let talk about criminal justice reform, or rather lets look at Hillary's proposals (and thus the current DNC platform) and why they were lovely.

The Source:
https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/criminal-justice-reform/

So reading this there isn't anything that pokes out as BAD, any obvious problems have long since been focus grouped away. But there are several reoccurring themes which act as a smokescreen to big problems of law enforcement, and thus the root of many social justice problems.

So all of those things are cool and good, but there is a conspicuous lack "stick" to the policies. What happens if a police department just ignores those things? For example, she wants (means tested, of course) funding for body camera's for "every police department in America." Sounds good, but what if the police department of Ferguson just says "no thanks." I guess the plan is just to kick some dirt and say "shucks, at least we tried?"
What if police departments continue to mis-use deadly force even after they received their "training?"
What if the newly funded federal group to monitor civil rights violations can't actually get the information they need from the police departments, because they are constantly being stone-walled, and of course the police deleted the evidence after they killed the next Michael Brown?
Basically I'm asking where is the Accountability for the police? It's not there, and it was never going to be there.

When is the supposed party for social justice going to actually attempt to pass policies that will actually support social justice?

Yeah hard for me to accept that these people actually give a gently caress about social justice when there isn't a single mention of ending the drug war. Police accountability and use of force are a direct result of our decades long money-hole and POC meat grinder policies that enrich private corporations at the expense of the tax payer.

• Locked thread