Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

PT6A posted:

Fantastic. Was that just a dude with a gun or was that a police officer?

A longer clip I saw a long time back looked like a cat or something ran out in front of the car with the cam, and it was theorized the guy with the pipe saw it and was trying to go vigilante on him. I don't think the driver saw the animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/IfCNSFL.gifv

These are the ’roos you share a course with.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo at that fine red mist :stare:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mobby_6kl posted:

I was more impressed by the body skipping along.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I almost posted this in the awesome car poo poo thread for obvious reasons.

http://i.imgur.com/k2MChNx.gifv

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

I almost posted this in the awesome car poo poo thread for obvious reasons.

http://i.imgur.com/k2MChNx.gifv

Did he clear that loving parked car over there?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAKksqKR3pI

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Did he clear that loving parked car over there?

Just barely by the look of it. Holy poo poo.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

When Zapp Brannigan said, "A few of you will be forced through a fine mesh screen for your planet," I didn't think he meant "the bull bars on a dune buggy".

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

mobby_6kl posted:

Check out this fuckin genius:

No joke, I have been in this situation twice. The first time I was just "this is my life now" for a second, and then for some reason I thought about the AWD and hit the gas instead of the brake and simply drove right out of trouble.

The second time, I remembered what I did the first time without any of the crazy brain waffling first.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

B4Ctom1 posted:

No joke, I have been in this situation twice. The first time I was just "this is my life now" for a second, and then for some reason I thought about the AWD and hit the gas instead of the brake and simply drove right out of trouble.

The second time, I remembered what I did the first time without any of the crazy brain waffling first.

Yeah, the key to it is maintaining traction. Don't step on the brakes, because the car will just skid and you'll lose control. You can actually make some pretty sophisticated maneuvers on ice and snow as long as you keep the wheels rolling.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
This road rage incident doesn't end how you expect it to.
https://i.imgur.com/oQebSpI.gifv

Also, alright, I have hosed with the goddamned tags for 5 minutes now and I cannot get it to embed properly, like xyzzy did above, and viewing the source of his post and quoting his post to see what tags were used are both unhelpful. I give up, click the drat link and watch the video if you want. loving thanks a lot radium <:mad:>

e: WHAT THE TAPDANCING CHRIST. It didn't work in the preview post, but it did when I hit submit?!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, the gifv embedding is weird. You just paste the link and hit submit and it does magic. It never shows up in preview.

:iiam:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Hills: what are they and how do they work? Do I need to adjust my throttle input whilst driving up or down them? I know not the answer to these questions, for I am a Calgary-area driver and I will make you want to kill me!

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I just saw a Nissan Murano with a full rally lights setup. :iiam:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

Hills: what are they and how do they work? Do I need to adjust my throttle input whilst driving up or down them? I know not the answer to these questions, for I am a Calgary-area driver and I will make you want to kill me!

Were you also behind the Mercedes B200 owner that I now pass recklessly on sight?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can always spot the morons not using cruise control on the interstates because they lose 3-5 mph every time there's any sort of incline. When they get to the top they wake up and floor it, going downhill way faster than they had originally had been driving.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
These are the carjackers you share the road with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElzybLmIgro

Not sure I would have done as well as this guy did.

Edit:
Should probably start at 0:40 if you want to skip to the action.
Most intense dashcam I've seen in a while.

xergm fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 8, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

xergm posted:

Other than how long it took him to decide to call 911, I'd say he did very well.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

xzzy posted:

You can always spot the morons not using cruise control on the interstates because they lose 3-5 mph every time there's any sort of incline. When they get to the top they wake up and floor it, going downhill way faster than they had originally had been driving.

This is pretty standard behavior for many vehicles with cruise control engaged.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EightBit posted:

This is pretty standard behavior for many vehicles with cruise control engaged.

Well that's a pretty silly thing for a manufacturer to do.

Every cruise control I've used caused the vehicle to apply throttle to maintain the set speed when going uphill, and let off the gas when going downhill.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Every cruise control I've used caused the vehicle to apply throttle to maintain the set speed when going uphill, and let off the gas when going downhill.

The best part of Subarus is how absurdly aggressive their cruise control is. Even before I remapped the throttle on the ECU my WRX would try to go 10 over climbing hills and engine brake hard as soon as it realized what it was doing.

My TS' servo-mechanical cruise isn't nearly as bad but it definitely gets hysterical in some situations.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

xergm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElzybLmIgro

Edit:
Should probably start at 0:40 if you want to skip to the action.
Most intense dashcam I've seen in a while.

Kinda confused, does the 300 roll by at 7:13 just to gently caress with everybody?

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

xzzy posted:

In my experience it varies pretty wildly on the setup, every Honda I have ever driven uses vacuum to actuate the cruise and it is always a day late and a dollar short. My girlfriend had a 200SX for some time and that was cable actuated and it did the opposite; it'd spike the RPMs at the slightest incline and then drop them at speed so it would piss away the cruising economy in a hurry.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Kinda confused, does the 300 roll by at 7:13 just to gently caress with everybody?

Nah, the rims are different.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

xzzy posted:

It's not by design, but if they aren't using some method to detect inclines, and there is also a delay on throttle changes, you slow down going up hills and go down them too fast.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Also, in addition to the aforementioned hill driving fails, I went to overtake someone who was doing 5 under the limit. They sped up to the limit, so I pulled in behind them. Then they slowed down to 10 under the limit again, so I overtook them. Then they overtook me at 10 over the limit.

And apparently the speed limit is whatever the gently caress people want it to be. Why would you suddenly speed up when the speed limit only changes 500m down the road? If you are okay with speeding excessively in a construction zone for 500m, why not the 500m before that? How do you justify that to yourself?

God loving help us all if, against all odds, we get flying cars at some point...

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I've probably used cruise control a handful of times, all when I was a teenager. I'd just rather regulate my own speed. I do vary my speed quite a bit though, based on how steep and how long the mountain is. The trick to this not being considered lovely driving, is to not stay in the same lane doing it TO people who want to stay cruising. Around here when you go up a steep mountain, a third lane opens up on the right so trucks can go super slow. If I'm gonna let my speed drop 5mph, I just get in it if someone is behind me who may want to maintain speed and not be hassled to switch to the passing lane to do so. Seems pretty reasonable.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
In something with reasonable power, it is quite fun to be able to outdrag people just by holding the button down.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

When I hit resume on my cruise, it thinks it's time to wind up the motor to 7k and get to that speed, RIGHT NOW.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I don’t know if I should be appreciate that they have these or worried that they need them.

Florida.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

I don’t know if I should be appreciate that they have these or worried that they need them.

Florida.

Every time I drive a car with a shorter hood than mine I feel like I need those, but I am also from Florida.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My hood can be measured in smart cars, but i can see exactly where the corners are because it's a real car.

Also, that's a buick in florida, statistically, the driver is probably 104 years old, legally blind, and on bath salts at all hours of the day.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Got cut off by some rear end in a top hat in a lifted brotruck just after an intersection. His excuse? "As high as my truck is its hard to judge where other cars are."

OK - so maybe don't lift your truck so high that it fucks with your depth perception? Or you might consider glancing at your mirror before changing lanes, instead of making excuses that make you look like more of an rear end in a top hat than you already are...

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Platystemon posted:

Florida.

What are these? I've never seen them before on any cars around here.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Corner markers, so you can place the edges of an awkward vehicle accurately in tight spots.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Corner markers, so you can place the edges of an awkward vehicle accurately in tight spots.

Also to see where the personal snowbank you're driving ends and the rest of the snowbanks begin. :smith:

Heading home, gotta make a right onto Major Thoroughfare which necessitates passing over the right-turn-only lane, but I can pull forward enough to make sure I'm clear of oncoming traffic...

..except for the dude in the next lane that decides at the last minute that hey, he really wanted to make his right (directly out of his lane, so cutting off anyone in the actual turn/rightmost straight-ahead lanes), without looking to see if a bigass minivan was already merging in. Nothing resembling signals, of course.

Since he had to <gasp> *wait* until I got past, he then changed lanes (still no signal), did not move into the turn lane, but rather made an illegal right at the cross street.

I really need a street-legal BTR-90.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

When I hit resume on my cruise, it thinks it's time to wind up the motor to 7k and get to that speed, RIGHT NOW.

Fun to do from a stop sign. :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Oh I thought these were little toy lightsabers stuck to the hood.

Now I'm sad that it wasn't :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Fun to do from a stop sign. :v:

Trying this tomorrow