Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

Super easy to mod out though. First thing I did.

Someone post EUIII 1.0. XD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Every time I see a Gamespot water mark on something, I get a sense of existential dread.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Kaza42 posted:

EUIV+all DLC= $290.55

(Yes, I know that you don't actually need all that DLC for anything, and that there are better package deals)

That is the price after years of development, not the asking price at release (I was specifically referencing WitP AE with the 80 bucks)
Additionally Paradox games go on sale ALL THE TIME, so it's not hard to pick up the stuff you've been missing with a good discount, in comparison Matrix Games has one sale each Christmas and that's it afaik.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wow, there is so much less going on in this picture. Crazy how things change.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

How did we survive with just 6 map modes?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

V for Vegas posted:

How did we survive with just 6 map modes?

Lots of clicking the "send merchant" button

tombom
Mar 8, 2006

EU2 had the best interface of all

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ So much nostalgia.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Wow, there is so much less going on in this picture. Crazy how things change.

The game was just vastly simpler and improved an enormous amount over its lifetime. 1.0 release was crazy too. No HRE mechanics at all, if I remember correctly, random minors would inherit majors left and right. One of these days I should dig out the old discs (games used to come on these little round plates) and do a mini AAR or something.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Playing EU3 now gives me weird existential fits where my memories of EU4 and it merge seamlessly with each other and every other moment is some mandela effect bullshit

edit: I wonder how interesting it would be to do a LP that's the same nation playthrough in EU3 vanilla and then again and again adding expansions each time, and then the same in EU4. Maybe just like 100 years each time through

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 8, 2016

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

If you've never seen EU3 before in any detail, do yourself a favor and read the Iroquois World Conquest AAR to get a feel for mid-development EU3. The last two expansions, after that game was played, brought it a lot closer to EU4 though.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

When EU4 came out it was pretty much EU3.5. Or EU3.75 depending on how you feel about the state of the game when Divine Wind came. The series has been really iterative in its design between the last two games and their expansions.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

tombom posted:

I'm glad that screenshot is of Province 0, Stockholm.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Man I forgot about those little halos around the nation's capital. The background inside the halo changed based on the country's stability.

And colonists and merchants were x per year and were due and forget, pray that they don't fail.

And leaders were entirely historical creations, you had no button to create one. I remember playing as the English who get Marlborough who was a 6/6/5 or something bonkers.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Oh my god sliders.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Man I forgot about those little halos around the nation's capital. The background inside the halo changed based on the country's stability.

And colonists and merchants were x per year and were due and forget, pray that they don't fail.

And leaders were entirely historical creations, you had no button to create one. I remember playing as the English who get Marlborough who was a 6/6/5 or something bonkers.

And monarchs were always historical. I think it was Granada who's last historical monarch had really good stats, and since the game didn't define any monarchs after him, he'd stick around for the next few hundred years if the country survived...

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Salami posted:

And monarchs were always historical. I think it was Granada who's last historical monarch had really good stats, and since the game didn't define any monarchs after him, he'd stick around for the next few hundred years if the country survived...

You could also annex any country that had an inherit event BB-free if you occupied their provinces when the event fired.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

sheep-dodger posted:

You could also annex any country that had an inherit event BB-free if you occupied their provinces when the event fired.

I think there was some other gamey way of like occupying an entire country except the capital, rebels would take the capital, the country would 'collapse', and you'd get all occupied provinces for free instantly.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

I think there was some other gamey way of like occupying an entire country except the capital, rebels would take the capital, the country would 'collapse', and you'd get all occupied provinces for free instantly.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you still got BB that way though, you only saved on the Warscore costs.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
EU2 was my first Paradox game, I had to have it imported to the UK by a special grog game store and then I played it for 3 days straight. I mostly played Austria, and the rage that flowed through me the first time that loving "give everything west of this line to Spain" event was what got me into modding. Good times.

tombom
Mar 8, 2006
EU1 just had you straight up able to annex any country in peace negotiations no matter the size IIRC, I'm pretty sure it had nothing like badboy either.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

tombom posted:

EU1 just had you straight up able to annex any country in peace negotiations no matter the size IIRC, I'm pretty sure it had nothing like badboy either.

At that rate we might as well talk about EU the board game.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

tombom posted:

While not quite as silly, up to the end of EU3 you could still have border provinces defect during a war if the right event fired, for free!

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Was that not in EU4 as well? I remember that but have never touched EU3 at all.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Jazerus posted:

While not quite as silly, up to the end of EU3 you could still have border provinces defect during a war if the right event fired, for free!

It was actually added to EU3 in some expansion, not in the base game.

This was because back then there was no ticking war score so if an enemy had one province you could not access for some reason ws never reached 100 and it could refuse peace forever.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Jazerus posted:

You still got 1 BB for it and it took forever.

Patriot rebels that you funded could flip a province to you completely for free. If you didn't fiddle around with the message settings, IIRC it wouldn't even tell you that you got the province.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I remember going to an Internet cafe to play an MP game of EU2 in a group. I was Austria and went rampaging through the HRE. Still had the old soundtrack which was awesome. Good times.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Are there any fantastic scenarios for EUIV? Like, all of Europe having South American religions instead or "Years of Salt and Rice" where Europe is just an empty wasteland or something like the fantasy New World only for the old?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

tombom posted:

I can't believe they sank france.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Are there any fantastic scenarios for EUIV? Like, all of Europe having South American religions instead or "Years of Salt and Rice" where Europe is just an empty wasteland or something like the fantasy New World only for the old?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=303749032
e: Though last update was 2014 so probably... pretty out of date...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How can I edit my CK2 files so that I can build as many castles and cities as I want in my provinces without needing to build temples first?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I wish the 'random nation' option had more fantasy options, like spawning different religions (change of Norse in northern Europe, Cathar's own western Europe) etc. Mayne a HRE: on/off/random switch.

I wonder if anyone else uses the 'random nation' games though, I enjoy it but I never hear anyone else talk about it.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Grouchio posted:

How can I edit my CK2 files so that I can build as many castles and cities as I want in my provinces without needing to build temples first?

defines.lua has this
code:
ENFORCE_ONE_OF_EACH_HOLDING = 1,			-- Require players to build at least one City, Temple and Castle in each province
I love that comment, making sure you find it if you search for either city, temple, or castle.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Do we have any idea what the next big project is for Paradox? Or are they going to take a little bit of a break and focus on the expansions/content for the newer full games?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
yeah it's a dating game

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
https://twitter.com/GeopolDatingSim

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

My crazy board game "Virgin Queen : Wars of Religion" has a "Jilted by Elizabeth" table, so I feel like I could be down for this. When does that vertical slice drop?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Not at home and can't take a picture of it, but Boardgame Geek to the rescue!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Is it actually possible for Elizabeth to marry someone?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

Is it actually possible for Elizabeth to marry someone?

Yes, it is. England is the only nation that is ruled by a woman so that is the only royal marriage with special consideration, as outlined in England's special VP card. (Essentialy, England can agree to a marriage at the start of a turn and use the card to break it off later, kinda like a dirty double cross.) This is covered in section 23.3 on page 37 of the rules, linked below for convenience.

https://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/7k6lsk8udr/VQ_Rules_Final_Lo-Res.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

VQ is an interesting game but also kind of a mess that requires too many players and time so it's perfect for Paradox players