Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Despite not mentioning it anywhere, it's all about the flat earth, right? Or is there another ridiculous conspiracy theory involving the shape of the planet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

laserghost posted:

Despite not mentioning it anywhere, it's all about the flat earth, right? Or is there another ridiculous conspiracy theory involving the shape of the planet?

If it is, that representative image and the phrase "blue marble" are superbly chosen.

Also check out the guy's other kickstarters.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I hope they succeed with their kickstarter. Can't wait to see how they cope when their own project proves everything they believe to be bollocks.

And yes, I know they're going to come up with some bullshit explanation as to why even their own evidence is wrong. But I want to hear those explanations. Should be a giggle.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

laserghost posted:

"Signs of curvature" and satellites "supposedly" orbiting Earth sure makes it sound like they are.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There's a decent grip of people who believe that we're living on the inside of the Earth and that the sun/moon/stars are essentially illusions.

Depending on how wacky they are, there's either another land on the outer shell, or the universe actually stops entirely more than 100 miles "deep" from the ground level.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can''t you see the curvature of the Earth using a cheap camera , a weather balloon, and some helium? I remember a guy did that for about $200.

Edit: this place has a kit for £134.83

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

muscles like this! posted:

"Signs of curvature" and satellites "supposedly" orbiting Earth sure makes it sound like they are.

You can measure the curvature of the earth from the top of locations like Pike's Peak, too.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I'm sure if this even gets off the ground they'll blame "big camera" or some other tinfoil poo poo for their findings.

Risks and challenges: totes not our problem, that's for the rocket guys that are going to launch our retard babycube.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Evil Fluffy posted:

You can measure the curvature of the earth from the top of locations like Pike's Peak, too.

That's just swamp gas from chemtrails sheeple 9/11 hollow Earth!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

PathAsc posted:

I'm sure if this even gets off the ground they'll blame "big camera" or some other tinfoil poo poo for their findings.

That's clearly lens barrel distortion! *flattens earth curvature with photoshop*

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Also, all aircraft manufacturers, pilots, cabin and ground crew are in on it — they don't want to tell you the truth that those plane windows are actually horizon-curving lenses to fool the sheeple.

That said, on a purely scientific-progress level, it's pretty pathetic that it's been so long since a human was far away enough from the planet to actually see all of that marble at once. Set up a project for Moon Mission 2025 and I'm on it.

Tippis has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Dec 8, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tippis posted:

Also, all aircraft manufacturers, pilots, cabin and ground crew are in on it — they don't want to tell you the truth that those plane windows are actually horizon-curving lenses to fool the sheeple.

That said, on a purely scientific-progress level, it's pretty pathetic that it's been so long since a human was far away enough from the planet to actually see all of that marble at once. Set up a project for Moon Mission 2025 and I'm on it.

The big question I want them to explain to me how we get latitude if the world is flat?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Young Freud posted:

The big question I want them to explain to me how we get latitude if the world is flat?

How much is Big Cartography paying you to perpetuate that myth, huh? :colbert:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Young Freud posted:

http://thedailywtf.com/articles/off-in-the-distance

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Evil Fluffy posted:

You can measure the curvature of the Earth from the beach, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgA_7-bHvyo

This is a Flat Earther video (fun fact: they call normal people “ballers”), but it actually illustrates the curvature well.

The discrepancy in how much of the platform is visible during the first and second observations is thanks to refraction and possibly the tide.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maybe its just me, but this looks dumb as poo poo.

Note, the record isn't moving, the box is.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Well, yeah, that's the point. It's like a reverse record player. Kind of dumb, but cute.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's kind of fascinating from a design perspective but I feel like if you want portable music this offers very little benefit unless you want to make a scene at Starbucks. And if you want to operate it without headphones for some friends to listen to that moving speaker would drive me nuts.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

All that money and they didn't even bother making it look like a car for maximum novelty value.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnJpB9yHDRc

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Dumb as poo poo, and unoriginal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDyMe-KtDbE

IIRC, they scratch the gently caress out of records on top of sounding like poo poo.

e: f, b

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
dude that thing is adorable I'd paint a little face on it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I feel like if they could get the price down to like $30 this would be a huge hit at places like Spencer's Gifts where you buy weird gadgets for people that they'll use like twice.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
For the Flat-Earthers, why do they think the conspiracy exists in the first place?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RandomPauI posted:

For the Flat-Earthers, why do they think the conspiracy exists in the first place?

They dumb.

They need to think bigger. Mag‐lev player reading the groove via LASER.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

because gently caress you

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

RandomPauI posted:

Most of them are religious and believe that the Bible says that the earth is flat, so therefore it must be flat and any attempt to convince people otherwise must be a trick by the devil.

Basically, they're already convinced of the answer and are looking for the reasons to back it up.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Included: FREE Doppler effect

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Truga posted:

Included: FREE Doppler effect

Yeah that plus the fact that it's unlikely that the volume is equal in every direction. You're going to hear every single revolution.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

CommunistPancake posted:

Most of them are religious and believe that the Bible says that the earth is flat, so therefore it must be flat and any attempt to convince people otherwise must be a trick by the devil.

Basically, they're already convinced of the answer and are looking for the reasons to back it up.

Doesn't that just make it even worse?! Is there even anything in the Bible to support that notion? Especially since the new testament was written hundreds of years after it was pretty thoroughly established to be a sphere? :psyduck:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Tippis posted:

Doesn't that just make it even worse?! Is there even anything in the Bible to support that notion? Especially since the new testament was written hundreds of years after it was pretty thoroughly established to be a sphere? :psyduck:

yes but you have to take the wording of Job and Genesis completely literally which would make you some type of idiot

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

yes but you have to take the wording of Job and Genesis completely literally which would make you some type of idiot

I see a pattern emerging here…

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

sinking belle posted:

You were a lust dog.

arraaaaaaahhhhh

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Tippis posted:

Catholic Church certainly has never taught that the Earth was flat, nor has any non-loony western denomination since. Pretty certain Eastern Orthodox priests would have known their Pythagoras too, ditto for the Coptics & the eastern churches.

So no :haw:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DoctorTristan posted:

Catholic Church certainly has never taught that the Earth was flat, nor has any non-loony western denomination since. Pretty certain Eastern Orthodox priests would have known their Pythagoras too, ditto for the Coptics & the eastern churches.

So no :haw:

Actually, they did have some Flat Earth beliefs, but it most likely didn't come from interpreting biblical verse but mostly them misinterpreting how gravity and perception work on a globe. It's like that it started as a globe, then a hemisphere since "God wouldn't make people whose feet were above their heads", then gradually flattened out during the Dark Ages.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I like the whole idea that the Earth used to be surrounded by a big shell of hovering water and the flood was God letting that fall down. "Like" the idea as in it's funny, not that I believe it.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Here's a flat earther with some Bible verses they think proves the world is flat.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Its adorable how you guys think that most flat earthers are sincere.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So much of that depends on a narrow misreading of a particular seventeenth-century translation :psyduck:

Guy Mann posted:

There are sincere flat earthers, and then there's the Flat Earth Society, which is essentially a drinking club.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Guy Mann posted:

More or less than you thinking many of them aren't? 2016 should have shown everyone not to underestimate the power of people believing absolutely outrageous poo poo. Just this week a woman got arrested for harassing Sandy Hook parents, because she belives they are "crisis actors". A guy was arrested for brandishing a gun in the Pizzagate restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

I've been told that climate change isn't real, using Bible quotes as an argument. That's when you just have to stop the argument, since you know it's pointless.