Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

This guy came along asking for advice on why his crowdfunding campaign ($4,000 goal) has yet to see a single backer.

https://chrismohindrooart.com/product/big-bend-national-park-fundraiser/

quote:

On December 16-24, I will be at Big Bend National Park taking photos of landscapes and wildlife. Some of the photos maybe used on future greeting cards. You can order prints or digital copies of the photos when I publish the photos.

During the first few days, there will be a visible moon. I will need to rent a super telephoto lens to capture it with a beautiful scene in the foreground during moonrise or moonset. The same lens will be used to photograph wildlife. I will use a more regular lens to photograph the stars during the latter part of the trip. I will also need a regular zoom lens, a moderate telephoto lens, and a tripod with different heads.

Whoever donates between $2 to $5 will receive a single use coupon code for 5% off products sold through my site such as greeting cards and custom made prints. Whoever donates between $5 to $10 will receive a 10% off coupon code. Whoever donates between $10 to $20 will receive a 15% off coupon code. Whoever donates $20 or more will receive a 20% coupon code.

quote:

To rent the equipment I want to use, I have to meet or exceed my goals. The list of equipment I want to rent is below.

-Canon 5D Mark IV: To make the great photos better. It will be my backup camera or what I use for scenes not worth capturing on medium format.

-Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS: To use for purposes of figuring out composition before I install a prime lens. This will also serve as a backup lens.

-Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II: To use for whenever I need something in between telephoto and super telephoto.

-Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro: To use for capturing flowers and other plants up close. It is also for landscapes that look great when captured at the 100mm focal length.

-Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art for Canon: To use for making low light photos of stars look better. It has better wide aperture performance which helps with less grainy photos and has fewer problems at wide apertures. It also helps make daytime or sunset photos better.

-Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art for Canon: To use for making low light photos of stars look better. It has better wide aperture performance which helps with less grainy photos and has fewer problems at wide apertures. It also helps make daytime or sunset photos better.

-Tamron 200-500mm f/5-6.3 SP Di LD for Canon: This is for capturing birds and other wildlife on the fly. With it being light for a super telephoto lens, I can shoot handheld if I needed to.

-Sigma 300-800mm f/5.6 EX DG APO HSM for Canon: This is for capturing taking photos of the moon with a beautiful scene in the foreground. I will take the photo during moonrise or moonset. It is also for wildlife that is more predictable or when I specially go to an area to see wildlife.

-Hasselblad X1D Medium Format Mirrorless: This will be first choice when photographing landscapes. The Canon camera will be used for wildlife or other scenes in which this camera is not appropriate.

-Hasselblad XCD 45mm f/3.5: This is for photographing scenes in which I want a broad field of view. It has a 35 mm equivalent of 35mm.

-Hasselblad XCD 90mm f/3.2: This is a moderate telephoto lens with a 35 mm equivalent of 70mm. It is for scenes that demand it.

-Wimberley Type II Gimbal Head: This is the tripod head for handling the Sigma 300-800mm lens. It makes it easy to maneuver so I can track the subject.

-Induro Carbon 8X CT313 Tripod: This is for all of my scenes that demand it.

-Markins Q20i BV-20 Ballhead: This is for when I am using regular lenses.

-ProMediaGear 4in Universal L-Bracket: This allows me to take landscape photos in the portrait position.

-I will use a shutter release cable to ensure stability when using a tripod. It eliminates camera shake from hitting the shutter button because I trigger the capture when I hit down on the button on the cable.

After that list of required gear you may be wondering if this guy even owns a camera. I'll let his currated selection of two, count 'em two, greeting card photo designs speak for itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Doggles posted:

This guy came along asking for advice on why his crowdfunding campaign ($4,000 goal) has yet to see a single backer.
I hope he gets fully funded and makes a youtube video as he tries to haul that gear around with him. Maybe I'll send him $2 so I can get in on that sweet coupon code offers.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

this loving guy posted:

When did you develop a serious interest in photography?

In December, 2007, I took the photography merit badge. It was not until July, 2013 that I developed a serious interest in photography.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like how his GNP selections have absolutely none of the scenery that makes the park famous. I assume all the other collections are the same but couldn't stomach clicking on them.

And his B&W series is just converted color photographs.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

At least he already has his own shutter release cable.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

That Dude posted:

When I was at the Aransas Wildlife Refuge in March 2016, I went to a lake with ducks. This is my only good photo of the ducks.

I, er... I have bad news for you dude.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
If I understand it, his plan is
1. Go to Big Bend National Park, ready to shoot photos but without a camera.
2. Get money to rent a truckload of gear ($4000 to rent everything for a week - he's going to buy nothing).
3. Shoot photos, make them into greeting cards and similar products
4. Sell these items to the same people who already gave him money - they get a small discount! On something he has full control over the price.

I can't fault him for lack of ambition. And I appreciate every opportunity I get to laugh at a completely delusional business plan.

EDIT

That loving Guy Again posted:

After weeks of trial and error, I have completed the website so I can start selling the Christmas and holiday cards. It has taken me several hours to work on this. I have tried different ecommerce systems, web hosting providers, and USPS mailing plugins. I picked just the ones and I have the credit card processor installed.
He's worked on this for several hours, guys, give him a chance! He's clearly trying as hard as he can!

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 8, 2016

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Doggles posted:

After that list of required gear you may be wondering if this guy even owns a camera. I'll let his currated selection of two, count 'em two, greeting card photo designs speak for itself.

After reading his very specific list of required lenses, it confirms my suspicions that most of the "photographers" who are Very Serious about the differences between, say, a Sigma Art 50/1.4 vs a Canon 50/1.4 vs a Canon 50/1.2L, as if it will destroy the aesthetic value of their images if they use the wrong one, ultimately end up producing work like this.

Also he claims he needs both a 200-500 and a 300-800 :wtc:

edit: Also I'm pretty sure he photoshopped in the trees in the foreground on the Merry Christmas photo. Actually I think it's just some ham-handed post-processing. polishingaturd.jpg

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 8, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Too bad he didn't spend 15 minutes googling to find one of the ten billion websites already set up to sell photographs that only need 10 minutes to get set up.

And I hope to hell his "credit card processor" is a plugin from an established business because that's a new level of stupid if he's trying to handle payments on his own.

(not that anyone is ever going to buy anything)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Luckily he mentioned he was going to use a shutter release cable, so we know this guy means business.

I mean, you might as well post "Don't worry chums, I'm highly skilled at making sure the lens cap is removed over 83% of the time when I'm taking photos. That's the level of commitment I bring to the table."

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Known Lecher posted:

Actually I think it's just some ham-handed post-processing.

About Me posted:

I do not believe in using painting the scene with touch up in an image editor to make my photos. I instead believe in relying on the beauty of the subject. I limit editing to making already good pictures better. If it does not look fascinating to me, I will not include it in my portfolio.

He's both admitting to this and denying it at once :psyduck:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Do yourself a favor (or not) and check out his facebook posts

quote:

I have had two online transactions already. I have sold more cards. Thank God for that. Pray that I sell out and crowdfunding campaign will hit my target goal. Pray that I use the best methods to get people to buy my cards and contribute to my fundraiser for the Big Bend trip. Ask God to help me fix anything I may be doing wrong.
Pray that I have a great time at Big Bend National Park and I come back with unique and excellent photos. Pray that I get some scouts interested in going to Iceland with me. Pray that I come up with the money for going to Iceland, renting the equipment, and other expenses. Pray that I get to see the northern lights and capture excellent shots of them with something beautiful in the foreground. Pray that I also come back with unique and excellent photos.

:stare:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

quote:

I limit editing to making already good pictures better.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
OK, now I REALLY WANT this guy to track his spike in website traffic back to this thread, throw $10 at Lowtax, and come in here swinging.

Then we can give him that as his AV. And put that text under it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

These are the words of a man who realizes he is in waaayyyy over his head but is just going with it

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
at what point do we step back and start wondering if this guy has a developmental disability or something because woooooooof

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wasn't another recent 'mediocre photographer who thinks you should give him $thousands for... reasons' a super praying Christian too? Are these people mistaking The Bible for The Secret or something?

Does that guy own any gear at all if he wants to rent both a primary and backup body?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

What is happening

Only registered members can see post attachments!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well the jig is up, Ansel didn't take good photos because of skills he just made a short prayer to Jesus to send the perfect photons through his lens. God probably did all the dodging and burning too.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
So obviously this guy isn't going to get the money, but if he did, he was just planning to pocket the money and buy the 5D Mk IV, and then move on, right? Maybe find a disposable single-use camera at a thrift store, and point it out the car window as he drives through Big Bend and takes a few snaps to prove he was there.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

https://twitter.com/chrismohindroo/status/807011384642834432

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Must be tough living a life where it seems any and all actions must be precipitated by external prayer.

"Guys, I really need to get out to the store and grab some milk and bread. Can someone send a prayer or two so I can get this thing done already."

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
actually it's great because if you fail miserably you can just chalk it up to gods plan and move on

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

So obviously this guy isn't going to get the money, but if he did, he was just planning to pocket the money and buy the 5D Mk IV, and then move on, right? Maybe find a disposable single-use camera at a thrift store, and point it out the car window as he drives through Big Bend and takes a few snaps to prove he was there.

It's not as if anyone was even gonna get jack poo poo for funding him, so why bother even doing that.

Fighting that $1 down payment urge to give him some life feedback.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Ok I'll pray... but to which god :twisted:

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's not as if anyone was even gonna get jack poo poo for funding him, so why bother even doing that.

Fighting that $1 down payment urge to give him some life feedback.

bad news the minimum is $2.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm out. Someone might fund the other $3,998 and it's too big a risk to lose.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Thank God my prayers for you to fight the urge to donate were heard.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I wish the Church of Satan had like a make-a-wish program where they paid for stuff that uber religious people prayed for on twitter as a gently caress you

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

BANME.sh posted:

actually it's great because if you fail miserably you can just chalk it up to gods plan and move on

it's actually a huge relief, really takes a load off your mind

I kind of like the mountain/tree card until I look at it closely but my taste is also garbage

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

lol he went to the same highschool i did

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'm not really sure what's going on here

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

akadajet posted:

lol he went to the same highschool i did

Are these your interests, too? :lol:

Twitter Bio posted:

My hobbies include Boy Scouts, computers, photography, and economics.

Something tells me he needs practice with a few of the above.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

akadajet posted:

I'm not really sure what's going on here

A late 90's RPG is generating a map.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ianskate posted:

Are these your interests, too? :lol:

Something tells me he needs practice with a few of the above.

my interests include another famous high school alumna:

yowza

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wow they really took Raphael in a whole new direction in the new Turtles movie.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

EL BROMANCE posted:

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

EL BROMANCE posted:

*sai*

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Does this guy sound familiar:
https://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/5hsp3k/i_am_looking_for_good_tripod_heads_i_need_advice/

quote:

I will use normal lenses and super telephoto lenses. The normal lenses are lightweight. One super telephoto lens weighs 4.3 lbs; it is the Sigma 150-600mm lens. The other weighs 13 lbs; it is the Sigma 300-800mm lens. I will use the super telephoto lenses for single and multishot landscapes and wildlife photography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

How is wood better than carbon fibre for tripods exactly?