Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

pthighs posted:

Can you give more detail on this? I read it recently and had a vague memory of hearing that it was inaccurate.

TL;DR of the book is that the Medieval period was ten centuries of horrific backwardness, regression, and darkness in which no advancements were made, presided over by a corrupt church that cared only for temporal power and burning heretics, all wedged between the two golden ages of the Roman Empire and Renaissance, right?

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes I'll have the StuG cornet please, two scoops.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

Yes I'll have the StuG cornet please, two scoops.

That's a custom job, so its not wasting time at/in the factory.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Meanwhile, two Soviet conscripts snicker and high five before positioning a vicious Anti-Tank field gun closer to the thing.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is there any significant difference in the actual paint itself they put on tanks in WWII vs today? From the displays I've seen the old paint looked pretty thick and gritty. Is there anything magical about modern tank paint like there is for planes?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

Is there any significant difference in the actual paint itself they put on tanks in WWII vs today? From the displays I've seen the old paint looked pretty thick and gritty. Is there anything magical about modern tank paint like there is for planes?

The only big difference is the stuff now is designed specifically to resist chemical warfare agents. I don't know anything about the chemistry but I guess normal paint really sucks up nasty stuff and it'll stay in there basically forever but CARC keeps it out somehow with the magic of technology.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Speaking of David Irving, a movie came out recently about the time he sued an American historian, Deborah Lipstadt, for calling him a holocaust denier. Denial, it was called. I thought it was pretty good. Rachel Weisz played Lipstadt and Irving was played by the guy who played Peter Pettigrew in the Harry Potter movies.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

That is true, but what if you know about incidents like that terrible US Civil War historian that got publically dumped by HEY GAL's friend and can't keep a straight face trying to read the stuff?
ww1--that was ALL PRO SEXMAN's best bud and true hero niall fergueson

P-Mack posted:

Reading the old/crazy/debunked can still be useful and informative if you go in with open eyes and a sense of where it fits in the historiography of the subject.
every time wedgewood talks about the long term effects of the 30yw (she believes it was a whole lot of slaughter to no purpose) she's thinking about world war 1

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I remember from somewhere (no guarantees if I remember it correctly) that IDF uses some special coating that makes their vehicles gather dust to make them better blend to local terrain, so suppose if the surroundings are more yellowish then the yellow dust that the vehicles kick up will gather on the vehicles so the vehicles will stand out less for naked eye, and so on. In hitech warfare this of course has become less of an issue as the heat signature requires other methods to hide. For example take a look at this marketing video by Saab (maybe they should look into vidyeo games market after failing at making cars?):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lsmkwm3ang

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

Ah, hm. Wow. I have to ask because I'm fascinated: how the heck did they manage this level of dissonance?

One day I will finish reading all the imperial memoirs and be able to effort post the living poo poo out of this question.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

david_a posted:

A common issue is that the colours are incorrect due to some museum or restoration getting the colour wrong, then everyone else copying them. That's how you get the blue Matildas, it should be grey but the Imperial War Museum cocked it up back in the day and its stuck ever since.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

nrook posted:

Speaking of David Irving, a movie came out recently about the time he sued an American historian, Deborah Lipstadt, for calling him a holocaust denier. Denial, it was called. I thought it was pretty good. Rachel Weisz played Lipstadt and Irving was played by the guy who played Peter Pettigrew in the Harry Potter movies.

:v: now that is some excellent casting

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

pthighs posted:

Can you give more detail on this? I read it recently and had a vague memory of hearing that it was inaccurate.

quote:

Typically, the rest—nearly 60 million Europeans—were known as Hans, Jacques, Sal, Carlos, Will, or Will’s wife, Will’s son, or Will’s daughter. If that was inadequate or confusing, a nickname would do. Because most peasants lived and died without leaving their birthplace, there was seldom need for any tag beyond One-Eye, or Roussie (Redhead), or Bionda (Blondie), or the like.

Their villages were frequently innominate for the same reason. If war took a man even a short distance from a nameless hamlet, the chances of his returning to it were slight; he could not identify it, and finding his way back alone was virtually impossible. Each hamlet was inbred, isolated, unaware of the world beyond the most familiar local landmark: a creek, or mill, or tall tree scarred by lightning...

In the medieval mind there was also no awareness of time, which is even more difficult to grasp. Inhabitants of the twentieth century are instinctively aware of past, present, and future. At any given moment most can quickly identify where they are on this temporal scale—the year, usually the date or day of the week, and frequently, by glancing at their wrists, the time of day. Medieval men were rarely aware of which century they were living in. There was no reason they should have been. There are great differences between everyday life in 1791 and 1991, but there were very few between 791 and 991. Life then revolved around the passing of the seasons and such cyclical events as religious holidays, harvest time, and local fetes. In all Christendom there was no such thing as a watch, a clock, or, apart from a copy of the Easter tables in the nearest church or monastery, anything resembling a calendar. * Generations succeeded one another in a meaningless, timeless blur...

I could go on but the whole book is like this. I love the image of the peasant venturing a few fields too far from home, becoming hopelessly lost and wandering the country forever.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pistol_Pete posted:

I could go on but the whole book is like this. I love the image of the peasant venturing a few fields too far from home, becoming hopelessly lost and wandering the country forever.
how does the author think people hunted without dying

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

how does the author think people hunted without dying

Aren't humans like pretty drat good at navigating by landmarks since that is evolutionary selected for when you are hunter-gatherers?

Also something something the story of Martin de Guerre (admittedly a few centuries later, but still somewhat relevant)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
He's a...rennaisanceboo or something? He seems to be such an rear end in a top hat that he must be a redditor, too.

Posting in /r/enlightement how Dark Age peasants didn't know time and got lost all the time

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

This sounds like a good book if you pretend it's a fantasy novel

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

How the ever loving gently caress does he think trade happened?

Oh wait, I'm guessing contrary to all historical and archaeological evidence he assumes that trade just ended and people never met someone from outside their hamlet.

Or that the village priest had never either visited Rome or been taught by someone who had visited Rome.

What he's describing would be laughable in a loving post-apocalyptic novel.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

we've found a loving buddha in a viking grave

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Somebody post that hilarious Christian Dark Ages graph.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

Somebody post that hilarious Christian Dark Ages graph.

Get you one better

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
holy gently caress

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh wait, I'm guessing contrary to all historical and archaeological evidence he assumes that trade just ended and people never met someone from outside their hamlet.

Or that the village priest had never either visited Rome or been taught by someone who had visited Rome.

What he's describing would be laughable in a loving post-apocalyptic novel.

Its so antithetical to everything we keep learning about how interconnected past societies were. The fact that most people never leave home is meaningless, as that is still true today. Most people do not move a significant distance from home. They still are aware of the greater world, and still likely traveled to neighboring villages and towns, and if they ended up in an army, potentially quite a long way from home.

Also that viking buddha is dope and I love seeing poo poo like that.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

Also he's never seen a sundial, apparently. Or even, you know, looked up into the sky. 'Welp, can't tell if it's the middle of the day or just after dawn, how could I possibly tell the difference!)

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Get you one better

Holy loving poo poo dudes

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Pistol_Pete posted:

As a literal actual child I wandered through the endless plains and forests of Russia and managed to get to neighbouring villages and back without, it absolutely baffles me how anyone could think that fully grown adults would become hopelessly lost after creating a hill.

Nenonen posted:

I remember from somewhere (no guarantees if I remember it correctly) that IDF uses some special coating that makes their vehicles gather dust to make them better blend to local terrain, so suppose if the surroundings are more yellowish then the yellow dust that the vehicles kick up will gather on the vehicles so the vehicles will stand out less for naked eye, and so on. In hitech warfare this of course has become less of an issue as the heat signature requires other methods to hide. For example take a look at this marketing video by Saab (maybe they should look into vidyeo games market after failing at making cars?):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lsmkwm3ang

In the Russian army there'sa saying that your tank will take the colour of the terrain after driving through it for 10 kilometers. The only special tank paint that I read about was extra matte.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
So if it wasn't for the women, we could be having space ships by now?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pistol_Pete posted:

Every time a medieval man left his village, it looked like that dotted line trail from Family Circus.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhqeNUFCyI0

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pistol_Pete posted:

I believe they were called Ronin, tyvm. :colbert:

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I just found this documentary. How accurate is it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HProiNnmGwI

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Get you one better

:eyepop: :chanpop::zenpop::captainpop::bernpop::shittypop:

On the other hand there's been more global peace since women's suffrage than there was before, and more Hitlers were killed in a women-having-the-vote world than ever before so

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pistol_Pete posted:

This is almost as good as "Ancient people had X-ray machines, because otherwise how could they know the shape of a human skeleton?"

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Ensign Expendable posted:

As a literal actual child I wandered through the endless plains and forests of Russia and managed to get to neighbouring villages and back without, it absolutely baffles me how anyone could think that fully grown adults would become hopelessly lost after creating a hill.

In the Russian army there'sa saying that your tank will take the colour of the terrain after driving through it for 10 kilometers. The only special tank paint that I read about was extra matte.

Isn't Russia famous for people getting hillariously lost in the woods?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JaucheCharly posted:

I think Russia is mostly woods and empty fields, intermittently dotted with houses.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

This is almost as good as "Ancient people had X-ray machines, because otherwise how could they know the shape of a human skeleton?"

What? How can you ever be stupid enough to say that?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Pistol_Pete posted:

Did this guy believe in the Phantom Time Hypothesis? It seems right up his alley.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

JaucheCharly posted:

Those who wander not lost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Pistol_Pete posted:

So uh, how do larger settlements than villages work out in this grade a insanity?