Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Welcome to tier 0!

For the record, I took the Emrakul out for the Vendilion Clique that was in the board and replaced it with a Disrupt because man, Emrakul was not good. I think I was like, 5 mana away from casting it at one point and that was the closest I ever got.

well i'm not actually that close to getting vintaage landstill together so

guess I'm playing this now

e: is that decree of justice real? I guess cycling it for guys is pretty funny and potentially insane against your miracles opponent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

EvilBeard posted:

Here's a little thought exercise. We're in my end step. My opponent has a Thespian's Stage, two Lotus Petals, a Snow Covered Forest. I have 3 Islands. My hand is Split Decision, Cunning Wish, Omniscience, Fact or Fiction, Emrakul. My opponent casts Crop Rotation, sacrificing his Forest. How do you not lose?

Here is my decklist. Relevant information: I sideboarded out 3 Spell Pierce for the Young Pyromancers in this game.

E: Guess I'll need to think more on this

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

well i'm not actually that close to getting vintaage landstill together so

guess I'm playing this now

e: is that decree of justice real? I guess cycling it for guys is pretty funny and potentially insane against your miracles opponent

It's real. You can't play landstill without a Decree of Justice, come on. I beat Shardless BUG in a game by getting him to 6, cycling for 4 and casting and Embleming a Gideon into his one blocker. Card's great, deck's great.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I apologize for forgetting to paste the decklist. I've corrected the post.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm pretty sure the answer is split decision to copy crop rotation, getting ancient tomb. Then cunning wish for pact of negation. You're cold to them naturally drawing a depths in the next two turns, or if they have wasteland in hand, but after that you're not in bad shape.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jabor posted:

I'm pretty sure the answer is split decision to copy crop rotation, getting ancient tomb. Then cunning wish for pact of negation. You're cold to them naturally drawing a depths in the next two turns, or if they have wasteland in hand, but after that you're not in bad shape.

Doesn't that leave you a mana short on your next upkeep?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

TheKingofSprings posted:

Doesn't that leave you a mana short on your next upkeep?

Three islands + Ancient Tomb is 5. You're copying the crop rotation, not casting it, so you don't pay the additional cost.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

This is correct. This was a turbo depths deck, not lands. He didn't have Wasteland in his list.

I realized how close I came there, so I sideboarded out a Force of Will and brought a Spell Pierce back in. That gave me the option to Cunning Wish/Force on 3 mana.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

EvilBeard posted:

I apologize for forgetting to paste the decklist. I've corrected the post.

Thanks, I figured it had something to do with copying Rotation but I didn't realize you had Tombs available.

Wish I had the chance to play Legacy around here (and the money to build a Legacy deck)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Thanks, I figured it had something to do with copying Rotation but I didn't realize you had Tombs available.

Wish I had the chance to play Legacy around here (and the money to build a Legacy deck)

Come visit Pittsburgh on a Friday. There's a slightly better than 50% chance it'll fire, I have a spare deck, and a few of the cards are even in English.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Come visit Pittsburgh on a Friday. There's a slightly better than 50% chance it'll fire, I have a spare deck, and a few of the cards are even in English.

come to chicago instead. it always fires AND there's a cool bagel place a few stores down

Landstill chat: What about Spell Quellers, like what the vintage version is doing right now? It's a "threat" in the same way that Clique is, same CMC, everything in the format costs 4 or less

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

come to chicago instead. it always fires AND there's a cool bagel place a few stores down

Landstill chat: What about Spell Quellers, like what the vintage version is doing right now? It's a "threat" in the same way that Clique is, same CMC, everything in the format costs 4 or less

I thought about it but I don't really like the idea of giving removal a target and also the deck is perfect and even if it wasn't what would I cut? They're really only great if you have like, Queller untap into Standstill.

Also they make the Verdicts look pretty bad.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i was thinking instead of clique but yeah it's horrendous with 3 verdicts

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

Split the cost of gas and explain to my wife why I need to drive ten hours round-trip to play Magic and you got a deal :v:

I've been on a crazy deck idea bender lately and came across a Modern Enchantress list that I reeeeally wish I had the time to try out-

Deck: Modern Enchantress

//Lands
5 Forest
2 Horizon Canopy
1 Marsh Flats
3 Plains
4 Temple Garden
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

//Spells
1 Blind Obedience
4 Ghostly Prison
2 Greater Auramancy
3 Idyllic Tutor
2 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Luminarch Ascension
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Phyrexian Unlife
1 Sigil of the Empty Throne
2 Sphere of Safety
1 Starfield of Nyx
1 Story Circle
4 Utopia Sprawl

//Creatures
4 Arbor Elf
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Eidolon of Blossoms
1 Nyx-Fleece Ram

//Sideboard
2 Leyline of Sanctity
2 Nevermore
2 Nyx-Fleece Ram
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Open the Vaults
1 Rule of Law
2 Runed Halo
1 Sphere of Safety
1 Story Circle
2 Wheel of Sun and Moon

Display deck statistics

I hosed around with it for a bit on xMage and it is hilarious, though I wish it had more than three cards that can actually win you the game. I'm kind of tempted to drop the Unlife+Canopies for an Emrakul and a couple Nykthos as pseudo-Serra's Sanctums :getin:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I always played Nykthos in that UW prison deck that is sort of like enchantress. At least, it protects itself in the same way. in that deck it was for fueling huge Sphinx's Revs and then untapping and playing it all. Could perform a similar function here if you're really going off with eidolon

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
does starfield of nyx cause enchantments to trigger creature ETB effects?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I...don't know, actually.

I always played Nykthos in that UW prison deck that is sort of like enchantress. At least, it protects itself in the same way. in that deck it was for fueling huge Sphinx's Revs and then untapping and playing it all. Could perform a similar function here if you're really going off with eidolon

Oh yeah, I wrote that deck down a while back. Did you stop running it?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 7, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tim Raines IRL posted:

does starfield of nyx cause enchantments to trigger creature ETB effects?

It should, yeah.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

C-Euro posted:

But that makes me want to combo Heliod's token generator ability with Sigil of the Empty Throne since the tokens are enchantments (yes it's not a combo at all)

FTFY

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

C-Euro posted:

I...don't know, actually. But that makes me want to combo Heliod's token generator ability with Sigil of the Empty Throne since the tokens are enchantments (yes it's a dumb combo)

FYI this doesn't work. Sigil triggers when you cast a spell, which isn't the same thing as activating an ability or having an enchantment enter the battlefield.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah whoops. It combos with Eidolon of Blossoms though! :haw:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

C-Euro posted:

I...don't know, actually.

Oh yeah, I wrote that deck down a while back. Did you stop running it?

Yes, it's extremely bad, particularly since cryptic command decks are playable now

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Yes, it's extremely bad, particularly since cryptic command decks are playable now

Nice joke.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i saw the card cryptic command get cast multiple times on stream in matches that the deck casting the card cryptic command won

it's true

e: idk I see that grixis control deck that seems stone unplayable to me but people do well with it

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Playing legacy for the first time today. Pretty stoked.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mezzanon posted:

Playing legacy for the first time today. Pretty stoked.

what are you playing and why isn't it doomsday

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Elyv posted:

That's a funny way to spell black-red reanimator.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

That's a funny way to spell black-red reanimatorleylines.

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM
I got to play in my first large-ish legacy event last weekend. Went in with elves and ended the day at 3-3. The majority of people I ran into there were super friendly and I got some advice on improving my build. Looking forward to making it to more events going forward.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Apparently you can no longer use undo to change the order you are putting back cards mid-ponder or top activation on MTGO. I think I've had to retop about a dozen times in one match tonight so far because I'm so used to using undo liberally.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

That's a funny way to spell black-red reanimator.

I've been out of the legacy loop for a while, what's this deck do differently to justify the red and is it really better than UB Reanimator?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

I've been out of the legacy loop for a while, what's this deck do differently to justify the red and is it really better than UB Reanimator?

It's much faster, better at casting its threats, and obviously is worse at defending itself.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Elyv posted:

Played infect.

Lost to esper reanimator.

Beat eldrazi, painter stone, and food chain combo.

A+ great format for cool people.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Hey vintage people. If my LGS is having a Vintage 15 proxy tourney next weekend what should I play that is good vs Shops? Dredge?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Just play dredge

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Snacksmaniac posted:

Just play dredge

Do you have an updated list? Is it playing Amalgams?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Do you have an updated list? Is it playing Amalgams?

Why would it, Amalgams are glacially slow.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why would it, Amalgams are glacially slow.

Got a list?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Got a list?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yLc2tu2CM4pLYUn0SSroYjOLafQZwCCE90iaNSaIWxg/edit?usp=sharing

That is what I played at eternal weekend this year to a X-3 finish. If you are not concerned with facing the mirror board the leylines for Unmasks (this is particularly good vs eldrazi and shops), and cut a barbarian ring, 2 wispmare and a chewer for the leylines. Also Fragmentize is worth playing, swap a couple of the chewers/wispmares for 3 at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yLc2tu2CM4pLYUn0SSroYjOLafQZwCCE90iaNSaIWxg/edit?usp=sharing

That is what I played at eternal weekend this year to a X-3 finish. If you are not concerned with facing the mirror board the leylines for Unmasks (this is particularly good vs eldrazi and shops), and cut a barbarian ring, 2 wispmare and a chewer for the leylines. Also Fragmentize is worth playing, swap a couple of the chewers/wispmares for 3 at least.

Thanks. I guess you're playing alot of lands because of Bloodghast?