Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

adamantium|wang posted:

Mr Turnbull's office did not respond to questions on Thursday, and Mr Frydenberg was in Antarctica and unavailable to comment. Mr Price also declined to comment. 

loving LOL.

I hope he stays there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...08-gt6v48.html.

"Mr Frydenberg was in Antarctica on Thursday and unavailable to comment. Mr Price declined to comment."

Is Antarctica code for "hiding under his desk with the lights off until the people outside finally leave"?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

DancingShade posted:

Is Antarctica code for "hiding under his desk with the lights off until the people outside finally leave"?

I'd call it a good start.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Fairfax should be used to libs giving them the cold shoulder.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Bishop won't be PM unless something weird happens, it's not her style anyway. She is professionally invisible when it counts (eg a dodgy legal deal between WA and the Federal govt and it's Brandis in the headlights, not the senior WA politician: come on, you can't tell me she doesn't know something), and a moderate Senator. Oh, and how's this for invisible: I simply don't recall a word about her in the last sitting, do you? She clearly gets things done and the media simply do not watch her, or if they do, they certainly don't print it. She just won't be PM, she's not that stupid.

Unfortunately the lineup is really terrible. The base no longer trust Morrison, no one's insane enough to let Abbott back in or anyone similar like Bernardi, Dutton might want the job but he's almost as bad as Brandis for fuckups. Ideally they'd like Porter to have the job but he's still in training wheels as Minister and it would be a waste to throw him in the arena now. No, someone will have to carry the party through a probable lost election next time and they haven't finished burning Turnbull thoroughly yet. No one wants to lead a government in an economic downturn, particularly the one we are having right now, and this lot still haven't gotten through blaming Labor for everything since 2010. If Turnbull gets the huff and goes or is told to go, someone will sacrifice themselves for the good of the party, and the Right will make sure it's a moderate. Gee, that only leaves...Pyne. Please please please, I need a bloody laugh.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 8, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah, Porter's there for when the next time they're in Opposition but think they can win.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Pyne Minister Prime

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hooman posted:

Pyne Minister Prime

He said he was a fixer. Let's see him fix this loving mess.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Noel Pearson is jumping the shark :ohdear:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the left, that classic enemy of social justice we all know and love

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
bad at social justice, bad at the economy, bad at winning elections, time to pack it up leftailures!

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/dec/09/labor-defends-import-protection-for-australias-book-publishers
Labor has announced it will oppose moves to lift the parallel importation restrictions on books to maintain protection for the Australian publishing industry.

The publishing industry welcomed the announcement, and said that removing the rules would have a direct negative impact on Australian culture and jobs with no tangible consumer benefit.

Under the restrictions, books cannot be imported for resale if an Australian publisher has acquired exclusive rights and publishes it within 30 days of its release overseas. Booksellers can import overseas editions if a book is unavailable from the local publisher for longer than 90 days.

In 2015 the Ian Harper competition policy review recommended the abolition of all parallel importation restrictions, including those in the Copyright Act applying to books. The review found import restrictions act as an “implicit tax” on Australian consumers and lifting them would “potentially lower prices”.

The move was opposed by authors but the government accepted the recommendation, subject to review by the Productivity Commission.

Before the election Labor said it would consult about the rule change. Figures in the left faction including Anthony Albanese called for retention of the rules.

On Friday, opposition leader Bill Shorten announced Labor would oppose any attempt to tear up the rules.

“Australians can already buy books published in other countries online in small amounts, and can continue to do so, but parallel import restrictions on books stop cheaper foreign copies of books being brought into the country in bulk, undercutting our local market,” he said.

Shorten said removing the rules would result in fewer stories from local authors being published, citing the example of New Zealand where lifting the restriction “dramatically reduced the production of local writing and decimated the local publishing industry”.

He said lifting the rules would result in “serious job losses” in an industry that employs 20,000 people, including printing, manufacturing and independent booksellers who rely on “sell or return” policies from local publishers to stay afloat.

The president of the Australian Publishers Association, Louise Adler, said blocking the rule change would ensure “Australian writers can continue to inspire us knowing their writing and their livelihoods matter”.

The chief executive of the Australian Society of Authors, Juliet Rogers, said removing the restrictions “would disadvantage our authors in an increasingly competitive global marketplace that is based on territorial rights”.

Many countries including the US, the UK, Canada and some European countries maintain territorial copyright regimes to protect their publishing industries.

Acclaimed children’s author, Jackie French, told Guardian Australia she had been worried that “Malcolm Turnbull would be the grinch that would steal Christmas” but Labor’s decision had brought back her festive cheer.

French said her first book, Diary of a Wombat, “would never have been published without the parallel importation law” because international publishers would not take a risk on an Australian book.

She said without the restrictions, books could be imported from countries with no copyright agreement with Australia, resulting in Australia not earning revenue from its cultural exports.

I still don't know how I feel about this. A local publishing industry does seem like something worth preserving though, especially when you can import anything you want for personal use.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
"Radical centre"
"soft bigotry of the left"
‘compassionistas’

Maybe Neal Pearson is just retarded.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 8, 2016

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

open24hours posted:

I still don't know how I feel about this. A local publishing industry does seem like something worth preserving though, especially when you can import anything you want for personal use.

I wonder if this taps into the university textbook industry thing, because I'm all for it otherwise. Pearson Education is loving poo poo and textbooks cost a lot of money if you have to buy them new, they also like to bake in some one-use code or whatever so it's more difficult to resell them.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I'm not sure that's not a problem with universities rather than publishers, although I'm sure there's some reason why students just absolutely have to spend hundreds on text books every semester that I'm not aware of.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Indigenous person says something you don't agree with, call him retarded. :thumbsup:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
We need protection from cheap imports, so here is a doomsday scenario to push.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If they weren't protected I think I'd argue that they should be subsidised. I don't know if it's fair to treat books and other cultural objects like commodities.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

open24hours posted:

I'm not sure that's not a problem with universities rather than publishers, although I'm sure there's some reason why students just absolutely have to spend hundreds on text books every semester that I'm not aware of.

I guess what I mean is that a publisher has basically cornered the market for university textbooks, and it's a pretty effective extortion seeing these books cost upwards $120 per book, and often you'll have a book per subject. As far as I'm aware, there's import restrictions for cheaper foreign versions of the book, so there's no competition.

Also lmao WRT your "some reason why students just absolutely have to spend hundreds on text books every semester that I'm not aware of" comment though

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Ladies and gentleman, I present to you the terrible saga of the guy who bought a basement converted into an apartment which is 1.8 metres from floor to ceiling and now doesn't want to go through with the contract:

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/280809

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-unit-nsw-harris+park-123934138

Pictures:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

How is that even legal?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

Indigenous person says something you don't agree with, call him retarded. :thumbsup:

Yeah look, I don't think the retarded comment is fair, this is the article for context.

I think this is actually a key point here

quote:

Pearson said DI [Direct Instruction] – which has been criticised by some educators as a rigid, expensive and culturally inappropriate remedial curriculum – was “precisely the approach to schooling that removes all excuses” based on a student’s disadvantage.
Noel Pearson at odds with government over Queensland schools
Read more

“The operating principle of Direct Instruction is: ‘If the student has not learned, the teacher has not taught’,” he said.

Beside the fact that he is allegedly a dick to people, the DI method is copping a lot of fire because there's not a lot of evidence for student outcomes in Australia, amongst other things. The whole personality thing is a distraction from what is potentially bad policy.

Reminder: Noel Pearson supported "The Intervention" in the NT.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Who the gently caress buys a unit with a 1.8m ceiling?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

iajanus posted:

Who the gently caress buys a unit with a 1.8m ceiling?

Someone from the shire

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Did they even walk through it?

Surely you wouldn't buy something at auction without a walkthrough, 1.8 is not enough for me to stand up. I hope he likes broken light bulbs.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I am average height and my hair would scrape the ceiling in there. It's unlivable.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Apparently the property was actually certified, but the guy who certified it is actually really dodgy.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

If apartment buyer guy turns out to be taller than 6'1 he deserves everything he gets.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
That's why you always get a building inspection before buying a home. I mean, it costs a couple of hundred dollars to check that your biggest investment isn't a lemon.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Ladies and gentleman, I present to you the terrible saga of the guy who bought a basement converted into an apartment which is 1.8 metres from floor to ceiling and now doesn't want to go through with the contract:

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/280809

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-unit-nsw-harris+park-123934138

Pictures:

Couldn't even be bothered to straighten up the blinds before taking the photos

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Patricia Karvelas is a lot that is wrong with RN. I have to turn her off (which I suspect might be the rationale).

She's so loving lightweight.

Last Friday - she asked a guest to explain to listeners what the Titanic was.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Today was a fine day in journalism, brought to you by the Hun.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
First REAL man.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Today was a fine day in journalism, brought to you by the Hun.

Man who was the first Astronaut in space would be technically correct

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Noel Pearson isn't retarded, he's just a very naughty boy who thinks if you join 'em that means you beat 'em, uh hahah no that's not how whitey works. You don't get to join whitey club by repeating the poo poo they say, not even in a classroom. Noel has swallowed the bootstraps BS and think he's got the answer. Misguided and selfish maybe but not retarded.

And in the economics lookback of 2016 of the Guardian politics podcast with Katherine Murphy Greg Jericho, Gareth Hutchens and Shane Wright, here's a summary with comments:

* Jericho says that we were unlucky in the shrinking quarter. Usually one of net exports, consumption or investment avoids a negative quarter, and not enough of any were growing. And we might have to get used to it, because we're more dependent on our net exports now.

* But as Hutchens points out, the economic forecast was more rosy than it should have been, so the fact that things look bad now might not be the future case. I feel this is a bizarre way to deal with reality but I guess that's how economists do it. Consumption will probably jump over the festive season and rescue growth temporarily but that's not going to last.

* Underemployment and the depression of wages are the danger sign. Less people working full-time at full-time wages will not keep consumption improving. Of course revenue is falling as a result. "Big numbers looking ok but people's lives dragging on the ground". Thus increasing political upheaval. And at root, this is why we seem to be going the same direction as elsewhere, because the people running things aren't learning from similar lessons.

* Jobson Growth is a joke, it doesn't improve anyone's bottom line except for the big guys. Investment is still falling. The government is now relying on terms of trade #goironore #gocoal for more revenue. The falling participation rate hides an actual unemployment rate going north of 7% as boomers retire and the jobs disappear to automation. There's no sense that the parties have any idea about this let alone have a plan. Well, apart from kicking poor people, that's easy. Those who have no plan for the local economy have a vested interest in blaming the world economy. Again, look at what NT does and imagine that's how Australia operates.

* God knows what Trump's influence will have on the US economy and therefore ours. Mathias Cormann is the rock of stability for the government but Chris Bowen has actually driven the economic agenda be it superannuation or negative gearing and capital gains tax. Morrison has improved, at least as far as figuring out what narrative to sell. That's pretty much all the panel had to say about outstanding performers in the economic sense.

I guess you'd expect Morrison to fire up if he's to wrest the agenda back from the ALP but given that his narrative is electoral poison, that's not going to be greatly successful. That's the real problem for the party, it's completely disconnected and sells disconnected messages. The ALP has to wake up to this, but it seems too preoccupied in a slapfight with the Greens for dumb reasons.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Lid posted:

Man who was the first Astronaut in space would be technically correct

even then it's debatable, the sub-orbital flights were claimed as space flights at the time.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

ewe2 posted:

Noel Pearson isn't retarded, he's just a very naughty boy who thinks if you join 'em that means you beat 'em, uh hahah no that's not how whitey works. You don't get to join whitey club by repeating the poo poo they say, not even in a classroom. Noel has swallowed the bootstraps BS and think he's got the answer. Misguided and selfish maybe but not retarded.

And in the economics lookback of 2016 of the Guardian politics podcast with Katherine Murphy Greg Jericho, Gareth Hutchens and Shane Wright, here's a summary with comments:

* Jericho says that we were unlucky in the shrinking quarter. Usually one of net exports, consumption or investment avoids a negative quarter, and not enough of any were growing. And we might have to get used to it, because we're more dependent on our net exports now.

* But as Hutchens points out, the economic forecast was more rosy than it should have been, so the fact that things look bad now might not be the future case. I feel this is a bizarre way to deal with reality but I guess that's how economists do it. Consumption will probably jump over the festive season and rescue growth temporarily but that's not going to last.

* Underemployment and the depression of wages are the danger sign. Less people working full-time at full-time wages will not keep consumption improving. Of course revenue is falling as a result. "Big numbers looking ok but people's lives dragging on the ground". Thus increasing political upheaval. And at root, this is why we seem to be going the same direction as elsewhere, because the people running things aren't learning from similar lessons.

* Jobson Growth is a joke, it doesn't improve anyone's bottom line except for the big guys. Investment is still falling. The government is now relying on terms of trade #goironore #gocoal for more revenue. The falling participation rate hides an actual unemployment rate going north of 7% as boomers retire and the jobs disappear to automation. There's no sense that the parties have any idea about this let alone have a plan. Well, apart from kicking poor people, that's easy. Those who have no plan for the local economy have a vested interest in blaming the world economy. Again, look at what NT does and imagine that's how Australia operates.

* God knows what Trump's influence will have on the US economy and therefore ours. Mathias Cormann is the rock of stability for the government but Chris Bowen has actually driven the economic agenda be it superannuation or negative gearing and capital gains tax. Morrison has improved, at least as far as figuring out what narrative to sell. That's pretty much all the panel had to say about outstanding performers in the economic sense.

I guess you'd expect Morrison to fire up if he's to wrest the agenda back from the ALP but given that his narrative is electoral poison, that's not going to be greatly successful. That's the real problem for the party, it's completely disconnected and sells disconnected messages. The ALP has to wake up to this, but it seems too preoccupied in a slapfight with the Greens for dumb reasons.

It certainly has been an interesting year. The ALP is fighting off the greens for the same reason the coalition is fighting off Juan Nation. Fortunately I reckon the SDA losing influence as a result of their members switching over to a new union will change the political ground within the ALP towards something that more closely resembles "representing worker interests", and if the workers of the future are fighting for scraps and having to support an ever aging population of demanding crybaby boomers then you can bet a pivot will be in order very soon.

Whether or not the coalition picks up on it or not is a different story.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Rob_Stott/status/807004314216468480

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
60% of large businesses pay no tax. I have full confidence that Scomo will blame Labour and that's why we need to cut business taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
You know how there's been some dire poo poo come out recently about the performance of the sub-muppets at the helm?

lol

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...dec6f27338556a7

quote:

Labor spending was a blow to economy after GFC, says report SIMON BENSONThe Australian 12:00AM December 9, 2016

A damning Treasury-commissioned independent review of the former Labor government’s unprecedented spending response to the global financial crisis has found it was a “misconceived” waste of money, fundamentally weakened Australia’s economy, almost destroyed parts of the manufacturing sector and ­inflicted more long-term harm than good. The review is also scathing of government failure on both sides of politics to address the budget crisis triggered by the $100 billion fiscal stimulus project, which has saddled the nation with the ­fastest-growing public debt in the world. “There is no evidence fiscal stimulus benefited the economy over the medium term,” says the paper, to be released today. It says the stimulus was “misconceived”, with an emphasis on transfer payments and “unproductive expenditure such as school halls and pink batts”.

The study comes on the back of Wednesday’s national ­accounts figures, which revealed a shock contraction in real GDP for the September quarter of 0.5 per cent, leading Scott Morrison to argue that the unexpected fall in growth put new urgency into the government’s policy to cut company tax. Hopes that surging resource exports would bring a quick turnaround in Australia’s economic performance were dealt a blow yesterday, with the trade deficit blowing out to $1.5bn in October, more than double the predictions of market economists. Revenue from iron ore exports fell, despite the strong market ­prices, while there was only a small lift from coal exports. UBS chief economist Scott Haslem said there would have to be a strong rebound in exports over the final two months of the year for trade to bring the needed boost to GDP in the December quarter after the contraction in the September quarter.

The first economic study of its kind into government fiscal stimulus policy, commissioned by Treasury secretary John Fraser and conducted by economist Tony Makin, argues that the stimulus rolled out by then prime minister Kevin Rudd and his treasurer, Wayne Swan, from late 2008 ultimately damaged the country’s competitiveness. “The government’s fiscal response to the GFC subsequently weakened the economy by contributing to the dollar’s strength, and by creating pervasive policy uncertainty about how the budget would be repaired,” the paper says. “In sum, the nature of Australia’s fiscal stimulus was misconceived because it emphasised transfers, unproductive expenditure such as school halls and pink batts, rather than tax relief and/or supply side reform, as occurred, for instance, in New Zealand, where marginal income tax rates were reduced, infrastructure was improved and the regulatory burden on business was lowered.

“The scale of spending was unnecessarily large and subsequently proved counter-productive by working against keeping interest rates and the exchange rate lower for considerably longer, as ­occurred during the Asian crisis. The damage done by the stimulus program also led to a decline in the viability of parts of the manufacturing sector, including the motor vehicle industry.” Professor Makin, director of the APEC Study Centre at Griffith University, told The Aus­tralian budget repair should have started five years ago — when Labor was still in power — as the task was now “massive”. He acknowledged that the ­Coalition had attempted to undertake some budget repair — with the politically toxic 2014 budget — but had gone nowhere near the fiscal consolidation under the Keating and Costello periods in the 1980s and 90s and fell short of what had been achieved in the US, Britain and New Zealand, largely because of Labor and Senate crossbench opposition to savings measures.

In a previous paper, Professor Makin modelled a scenario that would require budget turnaround twice the size being projected to get debt under control. He warned that using any form of fiscal stimulus again could be catastrophic for the economy and the budget. The Treasurer has argued that Labor’s “tax and spend” policy would amount to a repeat of the worst excesses during the GFC, maintaining the government’s business tax relief plan is the only option to reignite receding investment.

Bill Shorten continued his attack on the Coalition’s company tax plan yesterday: “One thing we won’t do is take $50bn out of the budget, which this nation can’t afford, and just hand it back to large companies.” The paper supports the government position and concludes that a tax-neutral policy, which includes company tax cuts combined with fiscal consolidation, is the only prescription before emergency measures would need to be sought. Professor Makin argues that any policy that would add to spending more on unproductive outlays such as welfare “could spark a vicious circle of deficits and debt requiring emergency fiscal remedies if higher world interest rates combine with an interest risk premium arising from a credit rating downgrade”.

Successive Labor leaders have argued that the Rudd-Swan fiscal stimulus inoculated Australia from the worst of the GFC and prevented a technical recession. The Makin paper disputes this. “In sum, fiscal stimulus was not primarily responsible for saving the Australian economy from a narrowly defined recession in the March quarter of 2009 …” it says. “What prevented Australia from experiencing a technical recession at the critical juncture in 2008-09 was a combination of lower interest rates, a major exchange rate depreciation, strong foreign demand for mining exports, especially from China, and a then more flexible labour market. Fiscal stimulus later weakened the economy by strengthening the exchange rate and reversing the contribution net exports made to aggregate demand. Largely implemented after the worst of the GFC had passed, fiscal stimulus countered the effectiveness of monetary policy by keeping market interest rates higher than otherwise and contributed to a strong exchange rate.”

:golfclap: :allears:

It's a masterpiece.

• Locked thread