Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

pubic works project posted:

I did not like the new issue of Nova.

Probably because I don't know poo poo about Sam Alexander and think he's a poopy-head and I want the story to be all about Richard, but still. I'll keep on reading it though and I picked up the first two issues of the last volume.
I'm just glad they're finally working together. As for Sam, the only things you have to know is that he's a rookie hero who only recently started to get his poo poo organized, and that he has an even worse streak of bad luck than all the Parkers combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SilverSupernova posted:

I'm just glad they're finally working together. As for Sam, the only things you have to know is that he's a rookie hero who only recently started to get his poo poo organized, and that he has an even worse streak of bad luck than all the Parkers combined.

Rich has been dead for all of Sam's career so waiting for them to work together was kind of weird?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Rich has been dead for all of Sam's career so waiting for them to work together was kind of weird?

It's Marvel. Death is almost literally a slap on the wrist for everyone not named Mar-Vell.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

SilverSupernova posted:

I know him more from the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon and he's an annoying butthead. I plan on catching up on them soon though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SilverSupernova posted:

It's Marvel. Death is almost literally a slap on the wrist for everyone not named Mar-Vell.

I guess I just felt your phrasing was weird since there was never an opportunity for them to work together until now.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

pubic works project posted:

I know him more from the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon and he's an annoying butthead. I plan on catching up on them soon though.

Comic Sam Alexander is significantly more likable than cartoon Sam.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's the most recent really iconic cover there's been? My guess would be something like one of those Ellis era Iron Mans where he's in that three-point landing (?) pose they used a lot in the movies.

New Avengers #1 probably. That Gary Frank Supergirl cover is up there.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I feel like there has to be some amount of significant passage of time before you can call something "iconic," especially now. It's like calling something that came out five years ago a "classic"; there simply hasn't been an opportunity for the work to gather resonance or impact, especially in pop art or a serial format.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Onmi posted:

EDIT: I think, funnily enough, actual iconic imagery these days tends to be things easily shifted into meme's. Hail Hydra Cap is pretty instantly recognisable and parodied in the ever quick internet age. Of course said parodies died quickly, but at least to the people who saw it, I don't think they'll forget it. If only for how silly the image is.

Hail Hydra Cap? I think I spotted him!

Edited to add:

SilverSupernova posted:

For some, she can be so much more.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 8, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I thought Death was in love with Deadpool!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

I thought Death was in love with Deadpool!

It's complicated!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wanderer posted:

I feel like there has to be some amount of significant passage of time before you can call something "iconic," especially now. It's like calling something that came out five years ago a "classic"; there simply hasn't been an opportunity for the work to gather resonance or impact, especially in pop art or a serial format.

You also have to figure out what it means to be iconic in the first place. I don't know if the Ellis Iron Man covers qualify because if you look at something like the Crisis on Infinite Earths cover with Superman holding a dead Supergirl, you can do an homage to that cover or parody it and people will get the reference even if you did it in a completely different style or with something as basic as stick figures. But unless Adi Granov is doing the cover, I doubt any one would know that a cover was an homage to Extremis-era Iron Man covers unless it was pointed out. Those Iron Man covers do still seem to loom large though because of the relationship the artist, those covers, and those issues had on the live action movies.

New Avengers #1 might fit the bill because of the heavy shadow use. Jim Lee Hush Batman?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Wanderer posted:

Ubisoft calls things iconic all the time, like Aiden Pierce's iconic baseball cap and The Division's iconic leather jacket.

Before the games are even released. "Iconic" is the new "literally" or "epic."

\/\/\/\/ It was more a comment on misuse of language, but I getcha.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 8, 2016

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Ubisoft calls things iconic all the time, like Aiden Pierce's iconic baseball cap and The Division's iconic leather jacket.

If your determinant for relevance is Ubisoft's marketing language, you may be in for a bad time.

When you're using it in the sense of things like classic comic book covers of yesteryear, it's not really possible to predict ahead of time. You could point to the covers of big, important issues like Uncanny X-Men #137, sure, but then there are seemingly random images like that one cover with Ant-Man perched on the end of Hawkeye's arrowhead. It basically depends on how things shake down going forward, and what future generations decide to do with their pop art.

At this point, I'd expect certain panels to be more thematically resonant than the covers, since frankly, a lot of 21st-century comic book covers are visually boring (grr, I am a superhero, standing here looking determined), or deliberate callbacks. I could see future artists imitating Cassaday or Maleev or Jamie McKelvie or Stokoe: dudes who work hard to make their stuff look distinct and whose panels really pop.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah I feel like it's maybe "too soon" to have a modern iconic cover. There are lots of covers from the past 10 or 15 years which are quite memorable (to me), but for it to be considered iconic I think it needs to have been absorbed into the consciousness of the fanbase.

It might be something thread-worthy, though!

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve
Man, Robinson and Pacheo on Cable has made it my unexpected go-to of this relaunch. I'm kind of surprised, but I'll definitely take it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, when comics covers homage the Pieta pose, are they homaging it by way of Crisis #7 or X-Men #136? :v:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, I like it going back to basics with Cable where's he time-hopping trying to protect time from a villain.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Alright, when comics covers homage the Pieta pose, are they homaging it by way of Crisis #7 or X-Men #136? :v:

Doesn't count unless the alive person is sitting :colbert:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ed Brisson and Mike Perkins are the new creative team on an ongoing Iron Fist book. I don't know if that means the Kaare Andrews book is dead or not.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Nova is definitely my pick of the week and the contest was not close. I can easily see this becoming my favorite Marvel book if it keeps this up.

I thought Champions #3 was less awkward nonsense than #2 but this series has certainly banked a sharp left into...honestly, I don't know how to describe what it's turned into. When issue 1 offered the premise of woke young heroes banding together to solve problems that adults have ignored or outright caused, I thought they'd be...I dunno...helping out in inner-city schools or taking on police brutality at a stretch. This Islamic extremist thing is not only a bit much, but just really forced. When they started namedropping Malala Yousafzai I was like..."Y'mean the issues that went down in 2012?" and I don't mean that all of a sudden she's not topical or important anymore in 2016, but like...

I feel like Mark Waid is this out-of-touch old guy who's just now getting in-touch with these issues that his target demo got caught up on ages ago and is now badgering everyone, like, "Why aren't we all more invested in this?" never mind the fact that everyone else in the room had been well-informed and invested in these issues for years before him and his current hamfisted edutainment thing just feels patronizing. You're not the teacher here, Waid. You're the learner. Like, what, are we going to get an issue preaching about the Dakota Access Pipeline...in 2020?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

X-O posted:

Ed Brisson and Mike Perkins are the new creative team on an ongoing Iron Fist book. I don't know if that means the Kaare Andrews book is dead or not.

feel like its probably super dead

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Blockhouse posted:

feel like its probably super dead

Apparently he tweeted they're finishing up the third issue now.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

X-O posted:

Apparently he tweeted they're finishing up the third issue now.

why couldn't it have been super dead

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I read Nova and I kinda don't fully get it? The art is nice, and I think the issue was very good, but it also felt like too little actually happened for me to really think it was the best issue of the week for me.

I really enjoyed Moon Knight, as usual, Doctor Aphra was fun, and I'll see what I think of Champions soon.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Not much happened in Nova, but Ego made an appearence, and that's enough for me.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Roth posted:

I read Nova and I kinda don't fully get it? The art is nice, and I think the issue was very good, but it also felt like too little actually happened for me to really think it was the best issue of the week for me.

I really enjoyed Moon Knight, as usual, Doctor Aphra was fun, and I'll see what I think of Champions soon.

I mean it wasn't the best issue of the Week because this was a week in which Superman was out. And Superman was the best issue of the week. As it has been consistently since it launched.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

And I ended up enjoying Champions again.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I really liked Nova having never read his previous stuff. It seems fun in the way I want a teen book to be, and it had Ego, which is good. Definitely keeping up with it. I really liked Doctor Aphra, too.

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve

X-O posted:

I know I shouldn't judge a book by its cover ... but that is some bland as hell design work.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

datingvolcanoes posted:

I know I shouldn't judge a book by its cover ... but that is some bland as hell design work.

That isn't that art team's design. That's the suit he's been using for a while now in Power Man & Iron Fist.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That costume sucks and he needs to go back to the Aja one pronto.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

datingvolcanoes posted:

You can kind of judge a book by its cover when it's a comic book.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rochallor posted:

You can kind of judge a book by its cover when it's a comic book.

If you judge an Alex Ross book by it's cover you're going to be let down every time he's not actually doing the interiors. Which is almost every time.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU

I wanted to post this somewhere because it's great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, we talked about that in the general chat thread a few days ago. It's amazing and Stan Lee is the best.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

BrianWilly posted:

I feel like Mark Waid is this out-of-touch old guy who's just now getting in-touch with these issues that his target demo got caught up on ages ago and is now badgering everyone, like, "Why aren't we all more invested in this?" never mind the fact that everyone else in the room had been well-informed and invested in these issues for years before him and his current hamfisted edutainment thing just feels patronizing. You're not the teacher here, Waid. You're the learner. Like, what, are we going to get an issue preaching about the Dakota Access Pipeline...in 2020?

Considering one of the new books is called Occupy Avengers I think it's not just Waid who runs a few years behind. Outside of namedropping Hamilton in half the Marvel books.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Decius posted:

Considering one of the new books is called Occupy Avengers I think it's not just Waid who runs a few years behind. Outside of namedropping Hamilton in half the Marvel books.

Marvel, like all creators, has no idea what makes something special, and instead attempts to ape the superficial endlessly in an attempt to rake in all that sweet dough. I know people might not like Illuminating Comics edits, but I found the "Everything is Jessica" stuff for Spider Woman ironically just before the pregnancy stuff) was a near perfect summation.

Also I can't understate how on the nose "Marvel Again" was for depicting marvel design practices.

quote:

there’s a thin line between acceptable grievances and petty whining, and I feel this page sloppily makes out with that line more than others I did.

EDIT:

HAHAHAHAHA

http://www.cbr.com/x-position-charles-soule-x-men-inhumans/

The general consensus from what I have seen is that “Death of X” did right by Emma and Scott. However many fans myself including are still confused as to why mutants became so hated after the destruction of the Terrigen Cloud? And why Scott himself was hated by his own teammates? Are we missing something?

Charles Soule: I’ve gotten this question a lot myself. The key here is in one of Scott’s (well, Emma’s, really) last lines: “You’ve got a story, I’ve got a story. It doesn’t matter which one is true. It matters which one is believed.” So, here’s what we know — the things that happened in “Death of X” happened as we saw. By the time the various “X” #1s began, public opinion had turned way against Scott. Remember that not every mutant was present, nor every Inhuman. The events were shaped by public opinion and through the viewpoints of people who saw them — or didn’t. In the world we live in today, this seems extremely plausible. People believe things firmly based on a single headline — they don’t even have to read the article. “Death of X” is already a tragedy on many levels — in part because Emma does so much in Scott’s memory that becomes increasingly terrible — but then when you realize that people end up believing whatever the hell they want to despite what seem to be the available facts… well, it’s even sadder.

... The gently caress does that mean? That still doesn't explain why everyone thinks Scott is Hitler! I know it's not in the interest of Marvel to just be honest, but just be honest and admit you had no idea what he gently caress you were doing.

Soule, you are a professional lawyer, and this was the best bullshitting you could do? Never hire Charles Soule to defend you.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 9, 2016

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Hamilton is an interesting thing to watch as a not-American, because I have no idea what all the hype about a musical is about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Taylor threw some shade at ANXM in Wolverine. I approve.

• Locked thread