Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bae, grammatical correctness is on fleek, fam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Vargatron posted:

Bae, grammatical correctness is on fleek, fam.

Can SOMEONE EXPLAIN why I keep seeing terms like burnt (burned) and het (heated)??? :supaburn: why isn't 40 spelled "FOURTY"!!

The funny thing is any qualified linguist will tell you AAVE and all manner of "lesser" dialects are just as valid as arbitrary 1950s grammar school style, as a means of communication.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kit Walker posted:

Words that are distinct and easier to tell apart than words that look very similar? Mind loving blown

Evolved language is sounds, written language is an invention. People mistype homophones all the time. one/won is one i personally do a lot, because as spoken aloud the words are indistinct other than context. here/hear and where/wear happen too. *insert a million words on symbols and symbology

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

sweart gliwere posted:

Can SOMEONE EXPLAIN why I keep seeing terms like burnt (burned) and het (heated)??? :supaburn: why isn't 40 spelled "FOURTY"!!

The funny thing is any qualified linguist will tell you AAVE and all manner of "lesser" dialects are just as valid as arbitrary 1950s grammar school style, as a means of communication.

But have you considered... that qualified linguists are wrong :chord:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think I'm pretty sharp, but its/it's kicks my rear end all the time.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

But have you considered... that qualified linguists are wrong :chord:

The objectively correct structure and comprehension level of the English language is "American 1970s precocious sixth grader"

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

jivjov posted:

Also; what's up with the cognitive dissonance on the source of food stamp money? When people are employed, their taxes fund poo poo like food stamps; when they fall on hard times, they cash out what they've been paying in. It isn't money from nowhere, it isn't a free handout. It's literally something you pay into in case you need it later.

Related: I've seen the same person, on consecutive days, share a "don't touch our social security, we earned that" and "kick all the bums off food stamps" meme.

Food stamps aren't directly tied to previous employment, so it's possible to take out more than you put in. Extrapolating linearly, I conclude that everyone on food stamps has never worked a day in their lives and just wants Big Daddy government to take care of them.

sweart gliwere posted:

http://xkcd.com/1735/

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

English is a dumb, broken, bastard of a language that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

We park in a loving driveway and drive on a loving parkway

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Why is it cargo if it goes by ship, and shipment if it goes by car?

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

Jurgan posted:

Food stamps aren't directly tied to previous employment, so it's possible to take out more than you put in. Extrapolating linearly, I conclude that everyone on food stamps has never worked a day in their lives and just wants Big Daddy government to take care of them.
I've seen the same argument against people who decide to sell their car and just ride a bicycle to get around. "I pays taxes on gas and bikes has no gas therefore they're not allowed to ride on the road and I can throw my trash at them."

Hell, you could probably make it for every public program, but their whiny bitching at food stamps is in service of children not eating.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

VideoTapir posted:

Why is it cargo if it goes by ship, and shipment if it goes by car?

This used to get me when I was younger, until I remembered that "cargo" and "shipment" were basically synonyms.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

negromancer posted:

No, white conservatives and white veterans freak out when the government tries to help them. It's why the FBI has to basically keep tight lipped about the whole "The KKK has been openly recruiting police officers for 25 years now and the man who killed Alton Sterling literally has a swastika on his arm".

It boils down to right wingers not wanting to be called out on their bullshit, which at the end of the day, their message of "freedom" is literally built on subjugation of others.

Do you have a source on this one? I looked and couldn't find anything. I know one of the 5 officers killed in Dallas earlier this year had a bunch of neo-nazi tattoos.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Augus posted:

English is a dumb, broken, bastard of a language that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

We park in a loving driveway and drive on a loving parkway

And what's the deal with airline food?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's made of fetus parts, I saw it on EPORW.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think I'm pretty sharp, but its/it's kicks my rear end all the time.

The dumb but helpful way my grammar teacher taught us was that contractions will always* include an apostrophe but possessives only sometimes, and the way to remember it is to think of the apostrophe as the fragment of the removed letter from when the words crashed together.

It is = Itis = It's

Also works with They Are = They're and several other, less easily confused contractions.

So now any time I see the apostrophe I read it as "it is" which has had disastrous effects on my sanity when I read people who get it wrong.

Welcome to hell.

* I do not know if this is actually true, but it seems that way!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DarkHorse posted:

The dumb but helpful way my grammar teacher taught us was that contractions will always* include an apostrophe but possessives only sometimes, and the way to remember it is to think of the apostrophe as the fragment of the removed letter from when the words crashed together.

It is = Itis = It's

Also works with They Are = They're and several other, less easily confused contractions.

So now any time I see the apostrophe I read it as "it is" which has had disastrous effects on my sanity when I read people who get it wrong.

Welcome to hell.

I do the exact same thing, which helps me to very rarely make apostrophe mistakes while also making said mistakes maddening to read.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

DarkHorse posted:

It's kinda true, but relaxations are a form of contraction without apostrophe, often by transforming the latter condensed word to a vowel, and they're legit English.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

DarkHorse posted:

It is = Itis = It's

Welcome to hell.

I think people care way too much about grammatical errors considering how fluent language is. Take any language, compare it to 100 years ago and you'll see a clear difference.
I also think that with the rise of texting and twitter's 140 character limit, policing grammar is a losing battle.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Every time I see one of these stupid memes or see someone complaining about those words, it makes me so mad.

Like, it's slang. Every generation has their own dumb slang. That kind of how language and dialect works, so stop complaining about it. :argh:

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Dexie posted:

Every time I see one of these stupid memes or see someone complaining about those words, it makes me so mad.

Like, it's slang. Every generation has their own dumb slang. That kind of how language and dialect works, so stop complaining about it. :argh:

It is also vaguely racist given those specific words are slang with origins in the black community.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

LunarShadow posted:

It is also vaguely racist given those specific words are slang with origins in the black community.

oh shut the gently caress up with your imagined racism.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dalael posted:

oh shut the gently caress up with your imagined racism.

they're right tho
unless this is another one of your lame attempts at "owning" the thread.

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 9, 2016

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Augus posted:

they're right tho

No. They're not. Just because "words" originated in the black community, does not mean its racist for others to use it. That's loving retarded and its literally making light of real racism that people actually face everyday. The words "Racism and racist" are being thrown out there randomly by people who have no loving clue of the meaning of the word, just like idiots who use the word rape for stupid poo poo like videogames.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Go talk to a black guy getting his rear end kicked by a cop, see if he gives a poo poo that a non black uses "Bae" or "fleek"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dalael posted:

No. They're not. Just because "words" originated in the black community, does not mean its racist for others to use it.

good thing this isn't even close to what this discussion was about until, uh, about a minute ago apparently?

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Dalael posted:

No. They're not. Just because "words" originated in the black community, does not mean its racist for others to use it. That's loving retarded and its literally making light of real racism that people actually face everyday. The words "Racism and racist" are being thrown out there randomly by people who have no loving clue of the meaning of the word, just like idiots who use the word rape for stupid poo poo like videogames.

I wasn't saying it was racist to use the slang, but the meme posted was vaguely racist because it was specifically poo poo talking black slang.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dalael posted:

just like idiots who use the word rape for stupid poo poo like videogames.

And people who use "retarded" for stupid poo poo like forum posts?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dalael posted:

Naw bro it's totally not racist for me to appropriate another culture's signifiers and then use them to insult that same culture

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

coyo7e posted:

Naw bro it's totally not racist for me to appropriate another culture's signifiers and then use them to insult that same culture

This is a better version of the point I was trying to make

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

coyo7e posted:

Welcome to earth. Populations: Billions of lovely persons.
Racism can be found every-loving-where if you look THAT hard to find it.

It reminds me when some idiot was saying that using "Calling a spade a spade" was racist because of yadiyadiyada. Its just plain ridiculous and it virtually insures that racism will never go away.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

If you look deep and hard enough at minor subtleties like "the staunch opposition people have of anything that signifies african-american culture or really anything that strays at all from old school white american puritanism" then yeah, maybe you'll find racism. But why split hairs? :jerkbag:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
You're pushing it. That meme was nowhere near as bad as you make it sound. Holy gently caress you guys are pushing this loving thing so hard, I'm literally running out of white guilt.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
People ARE splitting hair all the time when it comes to this. Because too often, they fight about the most inane poo poo while letting real racism go on unpunished.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Unlike arguing on a forum to put a stop to "imagined racism", which isn't inane at all.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Dalael posted:

Welcome to earth. Populations: Billions of lovely persons.
Racism can be found every-loving-where if you look THAT hard to find it.

It reminds me when some idiot was saying that using "Calling a spade a spade" was racist because of yadiyadiyada. Its just plain ridiculous and it virtually insures that racism will never go away.

"People will keep being racist if you encourage them to stop being racist."

Literally that kelly cartoon dot jay peg

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dalael posted:

You're pushing it. That meme was nowhere near as bad as you make it sound. Holy gently caress you guys are pushing this loving thing so hard, I'm literally running out of white guilt.

Can't wait for you to tell us "dance puppets, dance" like you did in the other thread where you embarrassed yourself.

Is your thing just embarrassing yourself on the internet wherever possible?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Nevvy Z posted:

"People will keep being racist if you encourage them to stop being racist."

Literally that kelly cartoon dot jay peg

Wow... How can you fail so hard at understanding something so loving simple. When you point out at stupid bullshit and claim its racism, then it virtually insure that racism doesn't go away.
Because even if racism DID go away, you'd still be looking for things to point at and yell: RACISM!

The simplicity of my point is this: Fight the real racism that occurs every single day, and stop pointing at fake things.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Jesus Christ, I have to believe Dalael's just trying to be the next Farooq at this point.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
We need to do something about all those thugs, with their baggy pants, and their gold teeth, and their R&B ringtones.

No, I'm not racist, I never mentioned skin color. Maybe you're the real racist for assuming I was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dalael posted:

Wow... How can you fail so hard at understanding something so loving simple. When you point out at stupid bullshit and claim its racism, then it virtually insure that racism doesn't go away.
Because even if racism DID go away, you'd still be looking for things to point at and yell: RACISM!

The simplicity of my point is this: Fight the real racism that occurs every single day, and stop pointing at fake things.

Just wanna make sure here, are you still not aware that your original argument about "cultural appropriation being imagined racism" was completely off-base and pretty much a total sequitur? Or have you realized this fact but opted to dig yourself in further anyway? Or are you gonna say "Dance, Puppets, Dance" in your next post?