Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

He's as self declared trump voter so....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

JeffersonClay posted:

Hillary lost because her economic messaging failed to connect with voters. That's what the data shows. The policies were popular, but the messaging didn't connect. This is what the data suggests.Her strategy was flawed because she thought it would be enough that her opponent was a serial sexual predator, so that's what she ran ads about.
She lost because she overestimated the garbage rust belt electorate. If you voted for the serial sexual predator, you're a garbage person. If you stayed home because you didn't care about a serial sexual predator winning the election, you're a garbage person.
Had Hillary, instead of appealing to their human decency, described how her plans would benefit the garbage rust belt electorate financially, she would have won. When formulating our approach to the garbage rust belt electorate in the future, it would behoove us to remember they are, in fact, garbage.

But why did her economic messaging, and the messaging of Democrats in general, fail to connect with these garbage underpeople? We may never know.

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 9, 2016

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

LGD posted:

But why did her messaging fail to connect to these garbage underpeople? We may never know.

Because she ran ads about trump being a monster instead of about her economic plan. This was, in hindsight, a tactical error because it was predicated on the assumption the Rust belt electorate was not garbage.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

JeffersonClay posted:

Because she ran ads about trump being a monster instead of about her economic plan. This was, in hindsight, a tactical error because it was predicated on the assumption the Rust belt electorate was not garbage.

Clearly, she was a candidate too noble and good to succeed in this fallen, sin-cursed world.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Violator posted:

Good point, but I don't know what you do because you can't sit around stagnating while the world passes you by.

for a lot of people in the nation, they feel the world has already passed them by. i'd imagine it's the same for your friend. what's the point in trying to catch up if it seems impossible?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

logosanatic posted:

Can someone fill me in how hitler went from losing the election to gaining power?

Basically there were four factions in early 1930s Germany: Nazis and other far right groups, "traditional" conservatives, centrists and social democrats, and far left communists. Of these four factions, all besides the centrists/social democrats were openly hostile towards the Weimar Republic and contemptuous of parliamentary democracy. The Nazis, and to a lesser extent the Communists, made huge gains in the aftermath of the stock market crash in 1929, which destroyed Weimar Germany's fragile economic recovery. The courts, army, and other machinery of state were still dominated by the traditional conservatives, which wanted to dismantle democracy and replace it with a paternal autocrat on the same model as the old Kaiser, even though they didn't *necessarily* want Kaiser Wilhelm II back. Chancellors in the late 20s and early 30s all came from this traditional conservative pool, and were generally more interested in undermining the Reichstag (parliament), and its largest party, the Social Democrats, than they were in actually substantively attempting to solve the massive, crippling problems caused by the onset of the Depression.

Anyway, the Weimar Constitution had both a President and a Legislative leader (Chancellor). As the above poster mentioned, Hindenburg, a war hero, had been serving as President since 1925 and really loving hated it (he was part of the traditional conservative faction that wanted a monarchist form of government). However, he was convinced by his allies, in particular the current Chancellor, von Bruenig, that he must stand for President in 1932 to prevent Hitler from uniting the right-wing factions and winning the election. At this point, the traditional conservatives still regarded the Nazis as dangerous populists, and correctly surmised that they were more interested in one-man dictatorial rule than "proper" monarchy. So Hindenburg ran for re-election, with the eventual support of the Social Democrats and other parties of the moderate Left, which realized he was the only way to stop Hitler. Ultimately Hitler came in second in the run-off of the 1932 presidential election, with Hindenburg winning and Communist leader Ernst Thaelmann coming in third.

Hindenburg was deeply uncomfortable with having been forced to be the "standard bearer" of the Social Democrats and moderate Catholics, however, and this alienated him from von Bruenig. von Bruenig was dismissed as Chancellor and replaced by another of Hindenburg's allies, von Papen. von Papen was more willing to use the Nazis as a tool than Bruenig had been, and agreed to lift a previously existing ban on Nazis stormtroopers (the use of which had been outlawed by von Bruenig), and then called for an election in July of 1932, which he assumed that the Nazis would win, allowing him to leverage their votes to create a personal dictatorship. von Papen, an aristocrat surrounded by aristocrats, essentially believed he could dupe Hitler and his rabble into being content with playing second fiddle to, and providing the muscle for, von Papen's own autocracy.

The Nazis, as expected, won the July 1932 election, becoming the largest Reichstag party. However, Hitler didn't play along with von Papen, and instead demanded the Chancellorship for himself. The Nazis then cooperated with the Communists (who sought to "heighten the contradictions" by creating a right-wing dictatorship to which they could present the only credible opposition) in bringing a motion of No Confidence against von Papen, which caused his government to collapse and triggered another election in November of 1932. Although the Nazis actually *lost* seats in this election, von Papen was still presiding over a Reichstag that did not have enough pro-government delegates to prevent another no-confidence motion from being passed. As a result, von Papen capitulated to Hitler, allowing him to assume the office of Chancellor. von Papen assumed that a combination of Hindenburg as President and various traditional conservative cabinet ministers would prevent Hitler from amassing too much power.

As it turned out, Hitler used the office of Chancellor to essentially remove all safeguards on Nazi use of extrajudicial violence. Stormtroopers began a campaign of suppression against all parties outside of the government. The Reichstag Fire in February of 1933 allowed Hitler to pass various emergency decrees. This all culminated in the elections of March 1933, where the Nazis gained a large amounts of seats and were able to pass the Enabling Act shortly thereafter, which abolished the legal obstacles to Hitler creating a one-man dictatorship. The conservatives were unable to stop Hitler from doing any of these things because they assumed, to the end, that Hitler could be prevented from enacting any of his more objectionable goals (one-man dictatorship, sidelining of the aristocracy, etc.); furthermore, they had drawn themselves into a corner by ultimately being a very small part of the governing coalition relative to the much larger Nazi bloc in government. Hindenburg soon died of old age and von Papen was sidelined in 1934.

the tl;dr version is that conservatives hated the social democrats more than they were afraid of Hitler, who they naively assumed that they could control; the social democrats themselves were feckless and generally unwilling to resort to the violence which characterized the Nazi, Communist, and Conservative approach to politics; the Communists were more interested in abolishing democracy than stopping the Nazis via parliamentary democracy; and Hitler was ultimately a much more canny political operator than von Papen and Hindenburg had initially believed.

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 9, 2016

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

HannibalBarca posted:

the tl;dr version is that conservatives hated the social democrats more than they were afraid of Hitler, who they naively assumed that they could control; the social democrats themselves were feckless and generally unwilling to resort to the violence which characterized the Nazi, Communist, and Conservative approach to politics; the Communists were more interested in abolishing democracy than stopping the Nazis via parliamentary democracy; and Hitler was ultimately a much more canny political operator than von Papen and Hindenburg had initially believed.

yikes that looks eerily familiar lmao

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Condiv posted:

for a lot of people in the nation, they feel the world has already passed them by. i'd imagine it's the same for your friend. what's the point in trying to catch up if it seems impossible?

Survival is generally considered to be its own reward among organisms but yes I can see how if one feels they need additional incentives they might easily wind up caught in an Oblomov-esque state of existential paralysis

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

LGD posted:

Clearly, she was a candidate too noble and good to succeed in this fallen, sin-cursed world.

So are you arguing there's no difference between Clinton and trump now? I can't tell.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

the trump tutelage posted:

more... amoral... by any objective measure

:stare:

That there are people who think they have a yardstick that measures morality objectively is pretty hosed.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

JeffersonClay posted:

So are you arguing there's no difference between Clinton and trump now? I can't tell.

No, I'm mocking you for being an idiot, because your posts and opinions are so terrible that that's the natural response, I thought that was pretty obvious.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Violator posted:

Good point, but I don't know what you do because you can't sit around stagnating while the world passes you by.

You can vote for Trump. That's what you can do.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Nevvy Z posted:

That there are people who think they have a yardstick that measures morality objectively is pretty hosed.
Trump says problematic things and has an awful history with women. Hillary says less-problematic things and has a body count.

Anyway, it's moot as far as my actual point/question is concerned -- someone please explain why Trump's supporters are implicated by their candidate but Hillary supporters aren't implicated by theirs. If voting for Trump in light of his history makes you an rear end in a top hat, how are you not an rear end in a top hat for voting for Hillary? Keep in mind this is about their past words and deeds, and not the potential threat they pose once in office.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 9, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Nevvy Z posted:

Insanely hosed up that some people aren't moral relativists for whom ethical questions aren't just, like, your opinion, man.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Mnoba posted:

yikes that looks eerily familiar lmao

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Survival is generally considered to be its own reward among organisms but yes I can see how if one feels they need additional incentives they might easily wind up caught in an Oblomov-esque state of existential paralysis

For a lot of people, survival is seeming harder and harder. Back to his friend 10 years removed from college, he has probably taken on debt during that time for any number of reasons (survival, making his life bearable, etc). What's he supposed to do about that while he heads back to university for four years? Let's also remember that a lot of aid is completely unavailable to people older than the typical college student because we don't want people just staying in college forever. Considering that, you can start to see how retraining can seem like a losing proposition, and that your situation is hopeless.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If the election were held in the middle of October it probably would have been that landslide.

I doubt it. This is just me spitballing, but I feel like most of Trump's polling dips represented temporarily embarassed Repubs who didn't want to be associated with the latest Trump fiasco, but still intended to vote for him.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Hobologist posted:

You can vote for Trump. That's what you can do.

*post-election*

"Why won't these brainless asshats vote for us?" :byodood:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

"The New Republic posted:

Though Democratic leaders and pundits are fretting about the “electability” of a candidate with a message like Sanders’s, the same realities that faced McGovern in 1972 will face any Democrat in November. Most of the factors that will determine the fate of the Democratic candidate in the general election—particularly the state of the economy and Obama’s approval ratings—are out of the nominee’s control. Moreover, little ink has been spilled and few hands have been wrung over how the relationship between economic growth and the popular vote, once the key to an incumbent party’s reelection, might be breaking down thanks to the inequality that the New Democrats have done so little to combat. While Obama’s record on job creation and economic growth is impressive, it hasn’t translated into rising wages for most Americans.

Despite this, the echoes of neoliberalism’s past in the Democratic Party establishment’s denunciations of Sanders’s candidacy suggest that if the Democratic nominee loses this fall, the explanation offered by party leaders and mainstream pundits will be the same one that has been trotted out after every Democratic defeat since 1972. If Sanders wins the nomination and loses in the general, it will be because the public wouldn’t stand for Sanders’s populist radicalism, and if Hillary wins the nomination and loses in the general, it will be because Sanders damaged her centrist credentials in the primary by pulling her too far to the left.

In other words, it will be because of McGovernism.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"Survival" can also probably be reasonably expanded to include "adequately fed, sheltered, and (medically) cared for." For people who live in America, you can expect to be deficient in all those categories if you don't have adequate employment.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Motto posted:

I doubt it. This is just me spitballing, but I feel like most of Trump's polling dips represented temporarily embarassed Repubs who didn't want to be associated with the latest Trump fiasco, but still intended to vote for him.

Temporary dips can be quite meaningful if the timing is right, the margin was close enough that a fiasco like the groping tape dropping immediately before the election could definitely drive things a few points (due to depressed/motivated turn out) and swing things enough the other way to create an electoral "landslide."

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

This might apply if Clinton hadn't shifted most messaging to "Trump bad".

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Nah there's a pretty convincing argument that the shifts in polling with events like the Comey letters weren't due to people changing their voting intentions but rather due to changes in responses.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Edit: Oh, they were stating the argument to prove it was dumb. My bad.

MizPiz fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 9, 2016

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

MizPiz posted:

*post-election*

"Why won't these brainless asshats vote for us?" :byodood:

Again, you can campaign on dragging them kicking and screaming into a changing world, or you can lie to them about being able to undo all that change. These asshats won't vote for us because we can't propose turning back the clock with a straight face.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Motto posted:

Very possible, which would mean that the desired landslide was never actually a real possibility. But I'm sure it would have been a Clinton win at least, even if it was only by a handful of EVs.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Condiv posted:

For a lot of people, survival is seeming harder and harder. Back to his friend 10 years removed from college, he has probably taken on debt during that time for any number of reasons (survival, making his life bearable, etc). What's he supposed to do about that while he heads back to university for four years? Let's also remember that a lot of aid is completely unavailable to people older than the typical college student because we don't want people just staying in college forever. Considering that, you can start to see how retraining can seem like a losing proposition, and that your situation is hopeless.

I'm not advocating that guy going back to school lol

But like, I was a lit student. Virtually everyone I knew in college was a lit, arts, or theater student. Tens of millions of people graduated with basically worthless degrees because every authority figure in their pre-adult life told them to, and while they're not all living it up like the radiologists and corporate lawyers they're not grubbing in the gutters for soggy half-burgers to subsist on unless there's something more than that seriously wrong with them. This is not the fundamental inequity of our economy, just one of the lesser injustices that happened to hit the comfortable middle class hardest. Don't confuse this guy's feeling he's owed a white picket fence for having studied for four years for the struggle of the oppressed.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 9, 2016

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Hobologist posted:

Again, you can campaign on dragging them kicking and screaming into a changing world, or you can lie to them about being able to undo all that change. These asshats won't vote for us because we can't propose turning back the clock with a straight face.

So if we can't convince them the change will be good for them, why do we deserve to be in power?

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

MizPiz posted:

So if we can't convince them the change will be good for them, why do we deserve to be in power?

Then they suffer and die rinse and repeat because they will never learn.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Hobologist posted:

The noble Democratic Party, ever with an eye to the future and a will bent to principled governance, would never stoop to pandering.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Greataval posted:

Then they suffer and die rinse and repeat because they will never learn.

Good, as long as you have finally given up on politics. Now leftist can show you how to run a successful political party.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Democrat Party.jpg

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

HannibalBarca posted:

The Nazis then cooperated with the Communists (who sought to "heighten the contradictions" by creating a right-wing dictatorship to which they could present the only credible opposition)

Ladies and gnetlemen, accelerationism.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

the trump tutelage posted:

Trump says problematic things and has an awful history with women. Hillary says less-problematic things and has a body count.

Anyway, it's moot as far as my actual point/question is concerned -- someone please explain why Trump's supporters are implicated by their candidate but Hillary supporters aren't implicated by theirs. If voting for Trump in light of his history makes you an rear end in a top hat, how are you not an rear end in a top hat for voting for Hillary? Keep in mind this is about their past words and deeds, and not the potential threat they pose once in office.

"Clinton has a body count" is, let's call it debatable.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Iraq War
Droning
Libya
Pizzagate

Do I need to continue?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
"It's the economy, stupid."

Dole walked into 1996 with the strongest argument for him being that he had paid his dues and it was his turn to be President. Viewed as a strong technocrat, he had his credentials down pat so he didn't bother talking about policy much. Instead, he focused on Bill being a petulant, spoiled child.

Plenty of voters didn't give a poo poo about Bill Clinton's checkered past because he delivered what they wanted: a robust economy. Dole's technocratic moral crusade against Bill Clinton was doomed to failure because while people would like to have a virtuous leader, they would much rather have an effective leader that delivers them results.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shbobdb posted:

Plenty of voters didn't give a poo poo about Bill Clinton's checkered past because he delivered what they wanted: a robust economy. Dole's technocratic moral crusade against Bill Clinton was doomed to failure because while people would like to have a virtuous leader, they would much rather have an effective leader that delivers them results.

Yes, and I believe this touches bigly upon why so many women were willing to vote for Trump despite his sordid history with their own gender. It's too easy to just say that his supporters simply wrote off the stories as Big Media Lies. And while I'm sure some did just that, I don't think it's an adequate explanation for the population at large.

The fact of the matter is that caring about social just issues, racial issues, gender issues, and so forth is a luxury. It is a luxury that many want, but will nonetheless put behind "I am economically stable and can expect to continue to be so". There were undoubtedly many people who voted Trump despite having issues (possibly BIG issues) with his treatment of women, minorities, and god knows who else. But they were simply willing to ignore it because they believed, correctly or not, that he was their best chance at improving their economic future. Someone who is worried about how they are going to provide for themselves or their family might not want a racist for President, but if they believe that racist to be their best shot at getting back to work and regaining their dignity then any higher ideals they may have about social justice will fly straight out the window. And I'm not sure I can say that is wrong of them.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 9, 2016

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
It's nice to theorize about the noble intentions of trump voters, but we know that voters who picked Obama in '12 and who voted Trump in '16 were significantly more likely to express racial animosity. There's much more evidence that people voted trump because of his abhorrent views than in spite of them.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

JeffersonClay posted:

It's nice to theorize about the noble intentions of trump voters, but we know that voters who picked Obama in '12 and who voted Trump in '16 were significantly more likely to express racial animosity. There's much more evidence that people voted trump because of his abhorrent views than in spite of them.

And yet they were still able to vote for Obama. What sort of black magic did you think he cast make that happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MizPiz posted:

And yet they were still able to vote for Obama. What sort of black magic did you think he cast make that happen?

Racism is a complicated, multifarious phenomenon, maybe? :shrug:

• Locked thread