Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
That's a solid add. Bullpen now looks to be Davis, Uehara, Rondon, Strop, Edwards, Grimm, Zastryzny which feels pretty good, at least on paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Eugh. Well it sure didnt take long after the WS for 'Dammit not the friggin Cubs' to escape my mouth

God bless Koji, 9 times out of 10 you were absolute money for us so I wish you nothing but the best

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If you want to look at how best to "handle" (if that's the right word) being the abuser in domestic violence, Ray Rice probably handled it as best as possible. He's still pretty terrible for what he did, but he said that he deserved all the scrutiny thrown his way while taking responsibility for his actions, began donating his time with domestic violence groups, and said if he was signed by an NFL team, he would have donated his salary to domestic violence causes. Of course, no team signed him because 1) he's bad now, and 2) not worth the PR fallout for signing a bad player.

ShortThug posted:

Did we get Torres?

I love that casual fans don't understand the difference between being traded and being a free agent. It's funny when I talk sports with casual friends, and someone drops "we traded Golden Tate to the Lions cause he was bad and he hosed Russell Wilson's wife!" and I have to say "nah, only one of those is true."

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 8, 2016

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Uehara seems like a solid enough get for 4.5 million but I had no idea this will be his age 42 season

E: He had a nearly 60% fly ball rate last year which is going to lead to a lot of collar tugging at Wrigley when the wind isn't blowing in

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 8, 2016

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
He had insane reverse splits last year.

v. LHB: .139/.200/.278 (85 PA's)
v. RHB: .253/.306/.505 (99 PA's)

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

NiceGuy posted:

I couldn't find a picture of it that didn't destroy the tables here but just pretend I posted :fredbirdpolicelivesmatter:

I think I found it.

From Comment MLB trade rumors on Koji Uehara signing:

"Yeah like picking up an old guy that can’t break a pane of glass is going to somehow insure the Cardinals can’t compete. Cubs already not near as good as last year and Cardinals getting ready to make some major moves will be a closer than the cub fans will be expecting. Cardinals class of the NL central for many more years."

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 9, 2016

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Koji was my favorite. Congrats Cubs, even if he sucks you got a deal and a cool guy.

NiceGuy posted:

9 times out of 10 you were absolute money for us

Agreed.

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 9, 2016

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Ive been away from baseball for two years are the Pirates good yet

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

You just missed their window

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Here's to another twenty years :cheerdoge:

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

never forget jeff karstens pitchface

a goddamn legend

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Matt Holliday didn't like Oakland very much apparently. His contract with the yankees has a no trade clause blocking Oakland, and ONLY Oakland. :lol:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
He probably got fed up with having to pay for sodas from the machine.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
On twitter it sure sounds like the Cardinals signed Fowler, which, oof.

Oof.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean clubhouse issues or not (and they were just rumors), it's got to be hard to turn down a 4/60 payday. I doubt he's going to get that anywhere else.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Chexoid posted:

On twitter it sure sounds like the Cardinals signed Fowler, which, oof.

Oof.

Thank the lord.

^^^^^the Jays apparently had offered the same.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

If Fowler actually signs for 4/60 I'm going to get a PHD in mechanical engineering and design a 4 billion dollar android designed entirely to pull Ross Atkin's pants down.

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight
Rangers trade Luke Jackson to the Braves for Brady Feigl and Tyrell Jenkins. :geno:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
brb crying forever

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

^^^^^the Jays apparently had offered the same.

Should have offered him more, then :mad: I don't want to see Dexter's beautiful smile and OBP skills turned against the Cubs 19 times a year by the Cardinals :(

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Booooooo

Don't ever let them change you Sexy Dexy. Thanks for the past 2 years.

~4eva~

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Dirks, baby!

https://twitter.com/90feetfromhome/status/807019054154338304

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

naginalJJ posted:

Rangers trade Luke Jackson to the Braves for Brady Feigl and Tyrell Jenkins. :geno:
Jackson for Jenkins is giving two guys who projected well but got shelled their first time up in MLB each a change of scenery, I guess. This sounds like a "Coppy got bored" deal.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Jackson for Jenkins is giving two guys who projected well but got shelled their first time up in MLB each a change of scenery, I guess. This sounds like a "Coppy got bored" deal.

Yeah. Jenkins is probably gonna have a better career but Jackson has the higher ceiling. Kinda liked Tyrell though.

elentar fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 9, 2016

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Chexoid posted:

If Fowler actually signs for 4/60 I'm going to get a PHD in mechanical engineering and design a 4 billion dollar android designed entirely to pull Ross Atkin's pants down.

Would it be entirely shocking if, despite saying all the right things, Shapiro and Atkins really were brought in to chop payroll and do things on the cheap? Rogers is, after all, Rogers.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

The jays mired in mediocrity while the Yankees and Red Sox take turns winning the AL East will at least have the comfort of familiarity.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

I hope you do real well for 143 games a year, Dex.

For the 19 against the Cubs... it's a thing. I'm sure you understand.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Dex whyyyyyy :negative:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

St. Dogbert posted:

Would it be entirely shocking if, despite saying all the right things, Shapiro and Atkins really were brought in to chop payroll and do things on the cheap? Rogers is, after all, Rogers.

The Jays payroll hasn't gone down though.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Dex whyyyyyy :negative:

Hearing the deal is 5/80 or more, at least $16MM AAV, being called an 'over the top' offer

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

This news makes me very sad.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lol that the cubs signed the big cardinal free agent and it turns out that he is terrible and unable to play baseball and then the next year the cards signed the big cub free agent who is amazing at baseball

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Treat Koji well Chicago, he is a cool dude.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

lol that the cubs signed the big cardinal free agent and it turns out that he is terrible and unable to play baseball and then the next year the cards signed the big cub free agent who is amazing at baseball

Counterpoint: The Cubs won the World Series.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sydin posted:

Counterpoint: The Cubs won the World Series.

I will forever treasure heyward and his $180 million pep talk and he can hit .150 for the rest of his cubs career and i will never ever complain

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also the rumor is that Fowler's offer from the cards is 80/5 :stare:

Fowler is getting paaaaid and I do not blame him for accepting that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

R.D. Mangles posted:

I will forever treasure heyward and his $180 million pep talk and he can hit .150 for the rest of his cubs career and i will never ever complain

this but unironically.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dexo posted:

this but unironically.

i was also being completely sincere, i don't give a poo poo if the cubs ever win another baseball game for the rest of my life

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

If Fowler is honestly getting 5/80 then I can't really be mad because I wouldn't want the Jays giving him 5/80. But also, goddamn, the Jays are doing loving nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

there's still plenty of time for Fowler to be bad, don't worry

• Locked thread