Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Knifegrab posted:

The vive has a hole for it ;)

:gonk:

Falken posted:

Slight, very slight delay I hear. I'm going to see what people think about it before I put any more of my car respray fund into being a shut-in nerd.

My brother's been trying to goad me into getting one of those setups. Apparently they're only officially on sale in China, though; I guess you can jump through some translation hoops to get it shipped to the US but I frankly can't be arsed.

Vive cable is certainly annoying, though. And after all this time I STILL haven't found a way to get comfortably strapped in. I just must have an oddly shaped head :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Falken posted:

The vive HMD doesn't feel overly heavy to me, and once you're used to how the straps work, putting it on is pretty simple.

I loving hate the cable and how it binds itself up so easily. Surprised I haven't decked it by tripping over the drat thing. I'm almost wanting that 100% wireless setup.

Almost.

I've heard they've been shipping new vives with a much better all-in-one cable. I am pretty jealous cause the one I have is that wide flappy piece of poo poo.

Also to the people who don't understand why the vive does the whole "tron-esque" overlay for the pass through, its because it would make you feel incredibly sick if it didn't. There were tests, but basically you're brain needs to dissociate a bit for it to not be nausea inducing, and the weird visuals applied to the camera make it seem as though you are looking at some form of approximation as opposed to your presence/vision just being hosed.

They didn't just do it cause it looks neat or whatever.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

re: the wireless thing: we know how VR is considering the strict 90 FPS threshold for head movement - have to think that delay either is completely unnoticeable, or a turns the Vive into a vomit helmet.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Nuts and Gum posted:

Which controller allows for easier penis access?

Vive is too small for my penis; Touch ring is a snug fit.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Zero VGS posted:

Vive is too small for my penis; Touch ring is a snug fit.

But surely the ring is too long? Just wasted space really.

AndrewP posted:

re: the wireless thing: we know how VR is considering the strict 90 FPS threshold for head movement - have to think that delay either is completely unnoticeable, or a turns the Vive into a vomit helmet.

Agreed, I don't 1% believe in wireless VR with our current tech and limited wiggle room as it pertains to delay.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.wired.com/2016/12/oculus-touch-design/

Article about designing Touch. And FINALLY an answer as to why they didn't go with a wearable solution!

'Wearing something lets you open your hand fully without dropping it, but getting the second one on—while wearing a headset, no less—made that a nonstarter. “At some point,” Bristol says, “it started feeling like a wearable thing was not going to provide as much value as it was a hindrance.”'

We know that Oculus is going for more of a console-esque, easy-to-use system, so this logic follows. I still want a wearable controller like the Vive prototye.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

I've heard they've been shipping new vives with a much better all-in-one cable. I am pretty jealous cause the one I have is that wide flappy piece of poo poo.

Also to the people who don't understand why the vive does the whole "tron-esque" overlay for the pass through, its because it would make you feel incredibly sick if it didn't. There were tests, but basically you're brain needs to dissociate a bit for it to not be nausea inducing, and the weird visuals applied to the camera make it seem as though you are looking at some form of approximation as opposed to your presence/vision just being hosed.

They didn't just do it cause it looks neat or whatever.

I wonder if you can get said all-in-one cable separately for current Vives (preferably at a nonexhorbitahahahah who am i kidding) anywhere, because yeah that flappy thing just loves to get tangled and messed up for me.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Ciaphas posted:

I wonder if you can get said all-in-one cable separately for current Vives (preferably at a nonexhorbitahahahah who am i kidding) anywhere, because yeah that flappy thing just loves to get tangled and messed up for me.

You can order a new one as a replacement part, and from what I've heard it'll be the new model. I'm waiting to see if the wireless upgrade kit pans out, though; if early reviews are good, I'll probably just grab it instead of the new cable.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Well, I found that it was a picture on my wall that was causing my sudden tracking losses. Covered that fucker with a towel and I've never had such good coverage with the vive!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Falken posted:

Well, I found that it was a picture on my wall that was causing my sudden tracking losses. Covered that fucker with a towel and I've never had such good coverage with the vive!

That was confusing my brother for weeks, his room has like 20 framed posters and he had to take down literally all them to not cause the Vive to quit out over lost tracking.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Would spraying like a matte clear finish on them help?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Falken posted:

I too thought I broke something with my Vive when I moved things around my house and my tracking got noticibly worse. "Oh hey maybe it's these glass framed records hanging up right next to the new lighthouse location :downs:" I am starting to wonder though if some new and occasional tracking issues are due to a heating vent being close to one of the lighthouses and causing it to lose connection/restart. Hasn't happened very often but aside from the fact I'm outside the recommended distance (but still not warehouse size like the hover junkers guys) I can't figure out why it just started to happen recently (and inconsistently) otherwise.

Knifegrab posted:

Setup is much easier for the Vive IMO, yes mounting the sensors is a tiny PITA but the time I spent with the rift and its over-adundance of USB cables really rubbed me the wrong way. Having to get a super long USB cable to run all along the perimeter of my room to do proper roomscale was not that nice.

I still have no idea how no one minds laying long cables for these cameras throughout their room all connected to your computer but drilling holes into your wall was a bridge too far in April (even if you rent).

Tweak fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 9, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Tweak posted:

I still have no idea how no one minds laying long cables for these cameras throughout their room all connected to your computer but drilling holes into your wall was a bridge too far in April (even if you rent).

Well I think for me the big problem is different games with the touch want different set ups. Some games want two cameras in the front for more coverage and find hand work, some games want cameras on the opposite side of teh room. Constantly having to move these setups back and forth would be really annoying.

I mounted my cameras once months ago, drilled em into the wall and never had to think about it agani, and the coverage is great for roomscale and really really good for forward facing stuff (I still have never really ran itno occlusion stuff when doing finer detailed things like tilt brush).

Plus I have a gently caress ton of peripherals so giving up that many usb slots was a non-starter.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I know I'm seriously overthinking it but boredom at work does this to a guy. Anyone have a guide or link to said for fitting a Vive on one's head, both as comfortably as possible and in a way that produces good focus? Bonus points for being able to wear glasses while doing so but I'm fairly close to giving up on that one.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I know I'm seriously overthinking it but boredom at work does this to a guy. Anyone have a guide or link to said for fitting a Vive on one's head, both as comfortably as possible and in a way that produces good focus? Bonus points for being able to wear glasses while doing so but I'm fairly close to giving up on that one.
My technique that I've developed after fitting it on other people and then having to refit it on myself a lot afterwards: loosen all the straps, pull the back down so that the cutout cups the crest on the back of your head, tighten the top strap so that the HMD hangs near your cheekbones, then tighten the side straps as tight as you can comfortably make them. Once everything is tightened check your focus: if its blurry then feel to make sure its not too low on your cheeks or too high on the back of your head, 90% of the time just reaching back and pulling it down hard will fix any issues and either way it probably means you need to redo the top strap. If you feel any weight at all on your cheeks you are more than likely wearing it wrong, when the top strap is properly tightened most of the weight will be distributed across the top and back of your skull.

The Vive straps definitely are the worst and its the least intuitive to fit of the 3, but once you get it dialed in you can just pull it over your face perfectly comfortably and forget about it.

I wear glasses in the Vive just fine, and only one notch out, but I guess that's going to heavily depend on your frames.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Okay, obviously I'm six months late to the party but...

Budget Cuts! Wow.

I got a honest-to-God surge of adrenaline when I plopped myself behind a robot and had to rush to try to knife him before he gunned me down. I may have yelped.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Edit: Nothing to see here. I misread a post.

Stormangel fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 9, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Sort of a long shot, but do any of you guys know of a computer desk on wheels that is ~60 inches long and has a shelf on the bottom to put a computer on? I've been looking all over the internet and haven't found anything that fits those needs, most desks with wheels are about 30-40". I'll probably have to make do with a smaller sized one and a separate computer tray with wheels on it so I can wheel this poo poo out of the way when I want to clear up some space, but I thought I'd ask in case anyone here has seen something like I need and just can't find it online.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Ciaphas posted:

You're not overthinking it at all, using a good headset donning technique has increased my Vive wearing comfort greatly. Homeless snail has covered adjusting the straps, so I'll tell you my method for putting the thing on without smudging your glasses.

1. Pull the cord up through the loops a bit to create slack in the cord.
2. Firmly grasp the bottom of the strap and the cord going through it with one hand.
3. Pick up the headset with your other hand.
4. Lift the strap out of the way and push the headset straight onto your face from the front.
5. Pull the strap down firmly onto your head.

e: Also, do the reverse of that when taking it off.

BMan fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 9, 2016

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Oh wow, I've somehow unconsciously figured out how to crawl with my Touch controller while putting no weight on it. I must be some sort of VR genius.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Nalin posted:

Oh wow, I've somehow unconsciously figured out how to crawl with my Touch controller while putting no weight on it. I must be some sort of VR genius.

You’ve got city hands, Mr. Hooper… been countin’ money all your life.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

crawling with that cord seems like a pain in the rear end anyway imo

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Not using your straps is very poor advice and I would urge everybody to make sure you are strapped in at all times.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Get strapped and stay strapped

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
You ain't going to be grabbing or shooting if you're holding it like that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Something I just learned tonight is that at some point Audioshield updated with Youtube support and some changed difficulty modes

1) Youtube support owns
2) Do not play this on the highest difficulty without warming up first because it is not as easy as it sounds :cry: (but do generally play ff14 music on it now that you can easily do so)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLCWCPyxByg

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

And yes please use the goddamn straps people :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

And for the triple post combo, thanks homeless snail and BMan for the adjustment advice. Felt much better tonight than yesterday.

Now after dinner time to try to get past my nerves and try Onward, Raw Data or Rec Room again

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

For you guys wondering what's the best face lining/cushion for your Vive the answer is:

An old dish rag.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Poetic Justice posted:

Sort of a long shot, but do any of you guys know of a computer desk on wheels that is ~60 inches long and has a shelf on the bottom to put a computer on? I've been looking all over the internet and haven't found anything that fits those needs, most desks with wheels are about 30-40". I'll probably have to make do with a smaller sized one and a separate computer tray with wheels on it so I can wheel this poo poo out of the way when I want to clear up some space, but I thought I'd ask in case anyone here has seen something like I need and just can't find it online.
I ended up getting a table from Office Max that's perfect and picked up a rolling computer holder from amazon.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

And for the triple post combo, thanks homeless snail and BMan for the adjustment advice. Felt much better tonight than yesterday.

Now after dinner time to try to get past my nerves and try Onward, Raw Data or Rec Room again

I was thinking maybe Rec Room could be something like "social practice". You're sorta in a room with people, but can peace out whenever you want. Seems like possibly a way to get used to talking to strangers.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Rec Room was actually a bit socially intimidating for me when talking to strangers IRL generally isn't. Speaking was anyways, I didn't feel the need to leave but I didn't want to speak. Something about broadcasting my conversational voice weirds me out, but I never played much voicechat gaming. I guess it reminds me of the trauma of hearing your own voice in someone's candid video.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Kingspray is so much fun.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Fooz posted:

Rec Room was actually a bit socially intimidating for me when talking to strangers IRL generally isn't. Speaking was anyways, I didn't feel the need to leave but I didn't want to speak. Something about broadcasting my conversational voice weirds me out, but I never played much voicechat gaming. I guess it reminds me of the trauma of hearing your own voice in someone's candid video.

I'm mostly just really self-conscious about my breathing because there's almost always one guy in a game breathing way too loud.

But you see some amazing stuff in that game. One time while playing dodgeball one of the players audibly banged their face on a wall or something and their model fell to the ground. Then you could hear a little kid cry before that player left the room. The consensus reaction from everyone in the room was "HAHAHAHA-awwwww."

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Republicans posted:

But you see some amazing stuff in that game. One time while playing dodgeball one of the players audibly banged their face on a wall or something and their model fell to the ground. Then you could hear a little kid cry before that player left the room. The consensus reaction from everyone in the room was "HAHAHAHA-awwwww."

That is amazing.

Someone was asking about Unspoken - it's very good. The more I play it the more I like it. Though it uses pointing pretty heavily - not sure what that's mapped to on the Vive wand but moving around in the game is like "finger point+A". So if that's not possible I wouldn't bother.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

AndrewP posted:

That is amazing.

Someone was asking about Unspoken - it's very good. The more I play it the more I like it. Though it uses pointing pretty heavily - not sure what that's mapped to on the Vive wand but moving around in the game is like "finger point+A". So if that's not possible I wouldn't bother.
Huh? it doesn't use finger pointing at all. You use the controller like a laser pointer and hit a button to teleport.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ciaphas posted:

Something I just learned tonight is that at some point Audioshield updated with Youtube support and some changed difficulty modes

1) Youtube support owns
2) Do not play this on the highest difficulty without warming up first because it is not as easy as it sounds :cry: (but do generally play ff14 music on it now that you can easily do so)

Oh I forgot about Audioshield, I need to pick that up. I love music based games.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Bhodi posted:

Huh? it doesn't use finger pointing at all. You use the controller like a laser pointer and hit a button to teleport.

Huh, I could have sworn they told you to point at where you want to teleport to in the tutorial (ie have your finger off the trigger)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

1) Youtube support owns

Now do Cruise Chaser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Just witnessed an extremely uncomfortable interaction/harassment in rec room.

A 4 year old was playing, and a guy was talking to her while humping her and joking about it, while a crowd gathered around snickering. Didn't know exactly what to do. Is there a place to report that?