Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Apparently she was the only thing holding back the lengthening of the nights?

Might be referring to Flare, Freeze and... I think Electron, which can all break the damage limit but require hard to find items to use in Elemancy.

nights were already getting longer per chapter.
She was already dying., the entire "my flesh is failing me"

I highly recommend at least taking a peak and sifting through this for a better idea https://forum.finalfantasyxv.com/discussion/22158/heavy-spoilers-the-truth-about-ardyn-and-luna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

The witcher 3 hasn't set a bar because to be fair no other game has done anything even remotely near it. it can't be a standard if its a stand out.

Jrpgs and western rpgs have always had a different sort of quest. FFXIII (entire trology), XII hell even x-2 and XV all try things to modernize the status quo of JRPG's. it's not your tales or alteir iris or whatever, or even dragon quest giving you a consistent experience

if you're looking for deeper sidequests that use more than just kill thing play lightning returns. It has the strongest and most diverse set of side quests in the entirety of the final fantasy series. Actually everything that game does is pretty fantastic and different.

Persona, if you want to consider slinks side quests instead of dating sims, are cool character building but not on the same level as Witcher side quests.

Sitting in the class room or going to the mall with my home girl is the no the same as quelling the spirit of this guys girlfriend who was murdered by a wyvern on her wedding day and now poisons young women.

Also another weird thing?
The games have never been especially open, or difficult, and its really weird to see people remember ff's that way

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Tae posted:

Dragon Quest anything outsells both Persona and FF in Japan (even Dragon Quest Musou basically outsold P5 in its first week) so you can't really say sales as an indicator of quality

Also the console scene in Japan is collapsing hard so basically anything on consoles is going to look gutted.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Holy poo poo fight against wasps are already terrible but the hunt for the ones in the Vesperpool is nearly impossible. I'm 10 levels above them and do almost no damage and they seem extremely magic resistant as well. Sorry bros I'll have to come back to you later because I can't deal with really hard flying enemies.

Also that gar fishing quest is a real bitch.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The GIG posted:

Also the console scene in Japan is collapsing hard so basically anything on consoles is going to look gutted.

Knack was literally the highest selling Ps4 game for 2 years in Japan until basically dragon quest heroes came out

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Yes

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

It's weird because I could gush and go on about this game positively and negatively on and on, but it'd win out positively by a landslide.

It's fantastic now, but would be must play for even non JRPG fans with a bit of tightening, mainly in some small gameplay aspects (spells having a limit of 99 was stupid overall IMO, along with other tiny gripes, for the response of "but spells are strong" thats fair but they actually aren't mid game on funny enough. They begin to damage your party more than enemies when they have 100,000 hp.

Main area to fix though is story.

Also why no bestiary?

There are literally other monster hunters in the world.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's a funny glitch. It was amusing when ghost Gladio rides his chocobo :ghost:

My initial response to seeing it was "Now that they've got the Regalia back, Gladio's spirit can finally rest in peace."

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Legs Benedict posted:

The what now

I think it has to do with combining Overwhelm with the Bow of the Clever.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa75p5x5iAY

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Levantine posted:

I think it has to do with combining Overwhelm with the Bow of the Clever.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa75p5x5iAY

oh poo poo flare is in the game?

Dissapointed there was no ultima spell. :(

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 9, 2016

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Which edition of this dumb bad game am I supposed to get, again? I want the pizzas and the outfits to play dressup. :saddowns:

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bogart posted:

Which edition of this dumb bad game am I supposed to get, again? I want the pizzas and the outfits to play dressup. :saddowns:

um its just 1 outfit, deluxe

but something more unique is the kingstale prequel game .

http://www.finalfantasyxv.com/en/kingstale/

which i just learned about.(i avoided every bit of info about this game somehow)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So is it worth putting points into Armiger? Out of the gate it seems kind of weak and I have no idea how to use it effectively. Does buffing it actually make it good or just less bad?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Yodzilla posted:

So is it worth putting points into Armiger? Out of the gate it seems kind of weak and I have no idea how to use it effectively. Does buffing it actually make it good or just less bad?

You should absolutely get the "infinite mana for 1 min after you use armiger chain" upgrade for it. Warp strike for days. I don't know if that's story gated or gated behind how many weapons you have. I suspect the former.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

There are Elder Coeurls in one of the post-game high level dungeons which are.... something. It's especially fun in those small underground rooms they make you fight them in. Especially when there's two or three. Get hosed Coeurls. It seems like enemy level is only a very, very, very, VERY loose hint at how hard an enemy is anyway, since there's Level 44 Magitek Assassins that can still one or two shot me if they catch me in a combo and there's Level 60-80+ enemies that are a complete joke.

As for the summons, I'm gonna just post a huge spoiler block about their (supposed) pre-reqs to be summoned, so I guess don't read if you don't want spoilers on which summons you can get? I don't think I really have to spoiler this but better be safe than sorry I suppose. All summons are "partially at random".

Here goes:

Titan: Can only show up outdoors when there is enough space for him to appear (aka no roof over him etc). He is more likely to show up when your bros are downed (aka dead). I've never once seen a Titan summon in my 90 hours of play.

Ramuh: Can be summoned outdoors AND indoors. Is more likely to show up the longer a battle goes on, tho the time needed also seems to be random in a margin. God knows what it is.

Leviathan: Can only be summoned outdoors and near a large body of water. Anything that has a fishing spot constitutes as a large body of water. Just don't expect him to show up near a puddle or something. Noct needs to be in Danger status. The longer he is in Danger status, the more likely Leviathan is to appear (this is cumulative, so feel free to use potions if Noct is in Danger status and you need to tough it out for a little longer).

Shiva: Can also be summoned both indoors and outdoors. She's a big ole bitch tho because her pre-reqs are all of the above combined. Length of battle, Noct in Danger status and party bros downed. As these conditions stack up, she becomes more likely to show up. You don't NEED to have all three conditions met at the same time, you just need to reach a certain point.

Imagine all summon pre-reqs as a points system. E.g. Noct in Danger status 5 points, bro downed 10 points, each second of battle 1 point. If you reach 50 or 100 or whatever points, the summon prompt appears.

These don't seem to be 100% accurate, but they've served me well and seem to be at least accurate enough to goad the summon out that you want to have. Since summons are more like a bonus "gently caress yeah" card, I wouldn't sweat it tho. Also whoever said way earlier in the thread that they seem to have pumped up the summon rate in the post-game must be right. I've had two different summons show up like 10 seconds after a battle starts with none of the conditions met with one of them being the "hardest" to meet the conditions for.

I have no real idea, but I hope this clears it up a tiny little bit or at least helps someone in some way.

Quick E: I don't really think the infinite MP after you use an Armiger Chain is needed? Maybe I was just constantly way overleveled for everything but I've never really run into MP problems the whole game :shrug:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Yodzilla posted:

Mine is anything but weak, and it seems to break monster parts like crazy.

e: i always dump my points into it when new nodes unlock. I'm in Chapter 8 atm and it seems really good, though it may vary in power depending on how many weapons you have.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 9, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

abraxas posted:

There are Elder Coeurls in one of the post-game high level dungeons which are.... something. It's especially fun in those small underground rooms they make you fight them in. Especially when there's two or three. Get hosed Coeurls. It seems like enemy level is only a very, very, very, VERY loose hint at how hard an enemy is anyway, since there's Level 44 Magitek Assassins that can still one or two shot me if they catch me in a combo and there's Level 60-80+ enemies that are a complete joke.

As for the summons, I'm gonna just post a huge spoiler block about their (supposed) pre-reqs to be summoned, so I guess don't read if you don't want spoilers on which summons you can get? I don't think I really have to spoiler this but better be safe than sorry I suppose. All summons are "partially at random".

Here goes:

Titan: Can only show up outdoors when there is enough space for him to appear (aka no roof over him etc). He is more likely to show up when your bros are downed (aka dead). I've never once seen a Titan summon in my 90 hours of play.

Ramuh: Can be summoned outdoors AND indoors. Is more likely to show up the longer a battle goes on, tho the time needed also seems to be random in a margin. God knows what it is.

Leviathan: Can only be summoned outdoors and near a large body of water. Anything that has a fishing spot constitutes as a large body of water. Just don't expect him to show up near a puddle or something. Noct needs to be in Danger status. The longer he is in Danger status, the more likely Leviathan is to appear (this is cumulative, so feel free to use potions if Noct is in Danger status and you need to tough it out for a little longer).

Shiva: Can also be summoned both indoors and outdoors. She's a big ole bitch tho because her pre-reqs are all of the above combined. Length of battle, Noct in Danger status and party bros downed. As these conditions stack up, she becomes more likely to show up. You don't NEED to have all three conditions met at the same time, you just need to reach a certain point.

Imagine all summon pre-reqs as a points system. E.g. Noct in Danger status 5 points, bro downed 10 points, each second of battle 1 point. If you reach 50 or 100 or whatever points, the summon prompt appears.

These don't seem to be 100% accurate, but they've served me well and seem to be at least accurate enough to goad the summon out that you want to have. Since summons are more like a bonus "gently caress yeah" card, I wouldn't sweat it tho. Also whoever said way earlier in the thread that they seem to have pumped up the summon rate in the post-game must be right. I've had two different summons show up like 10 seconds after a battle starts with none of the conditions met with one of them being the "hardest" to meet the conditions for.

I have no real idea, but I hope this clears it up a tiny little bit or at least helps someone in some way.

Quick E: I don't really think the infinite MP after you use an Armiger Chain is needed? Maybe I was just constantly way overleveled for everything but I've never really run into MP problems the whole game :shrug:
Can confirm 1 sorta
In world of ruin, demon wall knocked the ever loving gently caress out of me, in 1 hit and shiva became available and did like 1/30 his health bar in damage, so I ran on the outside of the cave so demon wall couldn't appear

And bahamut is what then or was that only for one cutscene?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You should absolutely get the "infinite mana for 1 min after you use armiger chain" upgrade for it. Warp strike for days. I don't know if that's story gated or gated behind how many weapons you have. I suspect the former.

You can't unlock the Armiger Ascension grid until you've gotten the third story-related Royal Arm; I had three before I got it, so it isn't just three total, you need to actually go get the... I forgot. The one that Talcott tells you to get in the waterfall.

You can't get the second part of the Armiger Ascension grid unlocked until you've defeated I want to say it's Titan? Titan. Blade of the Mystic. I'm almost positive about this. That's the latter part of the tree, with Armiger Freechain in it.

abraxas posted:

I don't really think the infinite MP after you use an Armiger Chain is needed? Maybe I was just constantly way overleveled for everything but I've never really run into MP problems the whole game :shrug:

MP problems are only really caused by Airdance, but Airdance is really really good (since Airstep gives you i-frames to avoid attacks and air combos in general just poo poo out damage). Once you have Airdance unlocked, it's worth it to open harder, longer battles with a debuff like Starshell since you should have 1 Tech bar almost as soon as the fight starts (First Shot etc), then cast a spell if you want to, then Armiger->Armiger Chain->Warp Strike->air combo literally forever

I killed the beast in the innermost sanctum of Costlemark Tower by basically doing exactly that, minus Starshell

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

SectumSempra posted:

Can confirm 1 sorta
In world of ruin, demon wall knocked the ever loving gently caress out of me, in 1 hit and shiva became available and did like 1/30 his health bar in damage, so I ran on the outside of the cave so demon wall couldn't appear

And bahamut is what then or was that only for one cutscene?

Sadly Bahamut is just for that one story cutscene and you can't freely summon him ever. You can just straight up never summon Ifrit despite getting his power in the end, tho that at least makes story sense since he's the one who hosed everyone else over

guts and bolts posted:

MP problems are only really caused by Airdance, but Airdance is really really good (since Airstep gives you i-frames to avoid attacks and air combos in general just poo poo out damage). Once you have Airdance unlocked, it's worth it to open harder, longer battles with a debuff like Starshell since you should have 1 Tech bar almost as soon as the fight starts (First Shot etc), then cast a spell if you want to, then Armiger->Armiger Chain->Warp Strike->air combo literally forever

I killed the beast in the innermost sanctum of Costlemark Tower by basically doing exactly that, minus Starshell

Yeah makes sense, I guess I never really used Airdance very much. When it comes to techniques I'm a massive fan of Ignis' Overwhelm. It deals an assload of damage, two tech bars are relatively quick to get so it's almost spamable and everyone is invulnerable once the attacking starts. The two downsides are, not everyone is invulnerable before the stupid Ignis animation is done so I've had people go down before they started attacking with nothing I could do and with jumpy enemies your dudes often miss because welcome to FFXV I guess.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Levantine posted:

Mine is anything but weak, and it seems to break monster parts like crazy.

e: i always dump my points into it when new nodes unlock. I'm in Chapter 8 atm and it seems really good, though it may vary in power depending on how many weapons you have.

Cool thanks for the answers.

And I think I understand what they were trying to do with the summons as it's neat in theory but in practice it's extremely dumb and bad even if they look cool as heck.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

holy poo poo one impotant question i forgot

what the gently caress are those doors near tombs occasionally that you need keys too? they look like vaults. I fully expected them to be revisited

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Ugh I wish the FF4 and FF3 soundtracks were the originals and not from the remakes.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

SectumSempra posted:

holy poo poo one impotant question i forgot

what the gently caress are those doors near tombs occasionally that you need keys too? they look like vaults. I fully expected them to be revisited

Postgame. Finish all the dungeons except Piritoss, and you'll get the key.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Yodzilla posted:

Cool thanks for the answers.

And I think I understand what they were trying to do with the summons as it's neat in theory but in practice it's extremely dumb and bad even if they look cool as heck.

Also I'm not certain but I don't think you take any damage when you're airstep attacking during the Armiger attack. Mostly I think it's awesome bouncing around like a superball.

Summons do happen at really dumb times, but they also happen at really opportune ones and that's when they feel really cool. 9 times out of 10 they are total overkill but that last time makes them feel really awesome.

EDIT: Something really random, weird and awesome happened to me when I was doing a Hunt in Vesperpool. An imperial airship appeared overhead and the camera heavily focused on it. Turns out it was Aranea who decided to jump down and help me kill monsters just because. She joined my party temporarily, then when it was over, jumped back to her airship and bounced.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 9, 2016

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

abraxas posted:

Yeah makes sense, I guess I never really used Airdance very much. When it comes to techniques I'm a massive fan of Ignis' Overwhelm. It deals an assload of damage, two tech bars are relatively quick to get so it's almost spamable and everyone is invulnerable once the attacking starts. The two downsides are, not everyone is invulnerable before the stupid Ignis animation is done so I've had people go down before they started attacking with nothing I could do and with jumpy enemies your dudes often miss because welcome to FFXV I guess.

I've been so hung up on Ignis's Enhancement and Regroup that I don't even know if I've unlocked Overwhelm, now I feel like I should

Gladiolus's Impulse is... weird? Like it seems like it should be good and sometimes it is, and sometimes it just doesn't loving do anything at all

I think the 3-Techs are maybe all not good???

Costlemark Tower tips if you haven't done the dungeon yet -
1) Lightning resist. You can cook some or you can buy some iirc. There are a bazillion lightning-element Bombs in there.
2) In the bottom-most room you can reach normally, there will be four panels on the floor that you must interact with, and you have to do them in order. The goal of this part of the dungeon is to go to the same large chamber three times in a row, essentially intentionally doing the maze/puzzle "wrong" until only the right solution remains. You can't skip any of the wrong choices. You have to do them all.
3) The obvious teleporter panel is a teleporter, and you should not step on it unless you are ready to leave the dungeon.
4) You should have some method of dealing with Toad readily available (I spammed Maiden's Kisses).
5) The final boss is substantially easier than the second-to-last mob encounter, so if you proc a summon opportunity during that fight, feel free to use it. You don't need Ramuh to kill the innermost sanctum beast, but he will come in handy for the large encounter prior to the final boss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest if they removed every technique from the game but Ignis and just let you stick Ignis' techniques in all three slots it would be a straight buff.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest if they removed every technique from the game but Ignis and just let you stick Ignis' techniques in all three slots it would be a straight buff.

I've found Starshell to be genuinely useful - it seems to increase the damage daemons take anyway and activating before an Armiger->Armiger Chain->Warp Strike nonsense combo absolutely annihilates HP sponges like Red Giants

Of course it does literally nothing to non-daemons so that's fun

Ignis is straight up the best bro

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
How do you use Armiger Chain, again?

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Gravity well is the only "safe way" I've seen in game to cast spells, but once they get to "aga" level they all have ridiculous range so :shrug:

Also Am I the only one to lazy to craft sets of each spell so everything was just powerful as gently caress unicast and hoping it was effective?

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

How do you use Armiger Chain, again?

L1+R1 once bar is filled.

if you mean the attack after,

L1+R1 again while on the ground.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Have I always had Libra Elementia on Ignis cause I don't remember ever seeing it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Got to the end of Costlemark Tower, killed the boss after ages of being lost, boss bugged out and did not give me the loot/credit it was supposed to. Do not wish to do that slog again think that's the end of my FF15 career.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

guts and bolts posted:

I've been so hung up on Ignis's Enhancement and Regroup that I don't even know if I've unlocked Overwhelm, now I feel like I should

Gladiolus's Impulse is... weird? Like it seems like it should be good and sometimes it is, and sometimes it just doesn't loving do anything at all

I think the 3-Techs are maybe all not good???

I really like Overwhelm. I'm not sure what the deal is but it seems to still do full damage on attacks even if the enemy is resistant when you hit them normally. Like everyone would do a piddly amount of damage to a Red Giant when they normally attacked, but with Overwhelm they'd all do crazy damage no matter how resistant something is. Overwhelm also buffs your dudes for the duration of it (and maybe a bit after?) tho I'm uncertain about the icons. One is definitely a strength buff and the other one might be Ignis' Enhancement but for everyone? It's crazy good regardless, I'd at least give it a try if you haven't used it yet.

I dunno why everyone is hating on my boy Gladio so much :( I really liked him and I thought all his techs were useful. So useful that I forgot all their names. The two-bar tech that has him do a shield slam and then he offers you his great sword as a warp point is really good at dishing out damage and I think it also pulls in enemies like a whirlwind if you do the follow up and warp to his sword. His three-bar tech that does a cone attack in front of him and hits every enemy in it regularly hit everything for 9999 damage way before I had anything else that could. Promptos three-bar seems like poo poo because he does bad damage and you can't control which enemies he attacks so he'll just overkill a tiny imp and leave the big fuckoff giant enemy unscratched. I forgot what Ignis' three-bar tech is, I don't think I even unlocked it ever. Overwhelm and Libra Elementia 4 lyfe.

Completely unrelated, but apparently Kingstale isn't available in Germany at all? I looked at the Euro page for it and these are the only countries they list when you select where to "pre-order" FFXV. Can you even get it without pre-ordering the game? If it's sold on the American PSN store I could get it there I guess but I'm kind of bummed about this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Have I always had Libra Elementia on Ignis cause I don't remember ever seeing it.

No, he gets it when he gets his groove back after being blinded.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Should I wait for those patches or whatever before I start the game? Bought the game on release but didnt get past the tutorial. I'm in no rush.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE DANIELNATOR posted:

Should I wait for those patches or whatever before I start the game? Bought the game on release but didnt get past the tutorial. I'm in no rush.

Most of those patches are going to be literally months down the line. It's up to you if you want to wait months to play a game you bought at launch price.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So I get that in fishing the yellow dots are fish that give you edible items and the blue are just random treasure drops... But what do yhr circles around the dots and the flashing indicate?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MMD3 posted:

So I get that in fishing the yellow dots are fish that give you edible items and the blue are just random treasure drops... But what do yhr circles around the dots and the flashing indicate?

Rare fish that are harder to catch.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Prompto finally took a good photo!

And climbing the volcano at dawn was a good idea. Shame Noctis is such a turd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

So it normal that even after putting the disc into my PS4 and getting the automatic install, downloading the ten goddamn gig day one patch and then booting the game up I'm still greeted with a FOUR loving HOUR INSTALL before I can even select New Game?

Seriously. What the poo poo.

FOUR loving HOURS.

What in the goddamn poo poo is going on? How the hell does an install take FOUR HOURS?!

• Locked thread