Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think a lot of bosses in SM have much better EV/IV spreads than whatever is the series standard. I can't even reliably grind the E4 for experience, because my level 85 Incineroar with well above average attack bonuses can't reliably KO pokémon 20 levels below it and gets knocked out in two hits.

That's been a staple in Pokemon since the beginning I believe. Depending on the trainer, their Pokemon will have different IVs, though this may be the first game where a non-facility Pokemon has EVs? I'm not sure. Usually, normal trainers have Pokemon with 0 IVs, Gym Leaders had 15 IVs and Elite Four/Champion had 31 IVs. Now I think it's dependant on the specific trainer at different points of the game.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Note Block posted:

I am desperately on the hunt for Marill in a Lure ball, but other than that, just trashmons are fine! I can't think of anything I really need right now. I will also accept bottle caps, if someone happens to be overflowing with them. Just let me know the nature and I'll whip one up this evening.

Unfortunately I'm not swimming in caps and don't have any marill. Calm, modest or timid female would be my preference please. I'm not sure the value of a bottle cap but maybe trade one cap for a calm and a modest Eevee? (I only have 3 caps so hopefully that's a fair offer, if it's not let me know)

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Is leech seed Celesteela prevalent enough in the doubles meta that fielding a Tentacruel with Liquid Ooze would be a viable counter-option?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Crosspeice posted:

That's been a staple in Pokemon since the beginning I believe. Depending on the trainer, their Pokemon will have different IVs, though this may be the first game where a non-facility Pokemon has EVs? I'm not sure. Usually, normal trainers have Pokemon with 0 IVs, Gym Leaders had 15 IVs and Elite Four/Champion had 31 IVs. Now I think it's dependant on the specific trainer at different points of the game.

They've had EV spreads in earlier games.

In SM, late game trainers have 31 IVs in their most important stats, with 15 IVs in everything else. They also have optimized EV spreads.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
So, Substitute/Confuse Ray/Charge Beam/Double Team Washer Rotom holding Leftovers has to be the worst the Battle Tree has, right? :shepicide:

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Mef989 posted:

Unfortunately I'm not swimming in caps and don't have any marill. Calm, modest or timid female would be my preference please. I'm not sure the value of a bottle cap but maybe trade one cap for a calm and a modest Eevee? (I only have 3 caps so hopefully that's a fair offer, if it's not let me know)

Oh no don't give me any bottle caps then, just take the Eevee(s). I'll be online after 8pm EST so if you have PMs, I'll contact you that way :)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cicadas! posted:

Is leech seed Celesteela prevalent enough in the doubles meta that fielding a Tentacruel with Liquid Ooze would be a viable counter-option?

You can't just look at it in a vacuum. In a 1v1 matchup yeah a liquid ooze Tentacruel would ruin the stall Celesteela set. It also would resist all of Celesteela's good offensive moves so it has that going for it as well. But I don't think anyone is doing this because Tentacruel gets completely destroyed by Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele, both of which are basically as prevalent as Celesteela. Tentacruel would also get torn up by Garchomp's earthquakes and he's an extremely common partner for Celesteela.

Not gonna say its useless but it wouldn't be an easy solution. Best way to deal with Celesteela is to just not let it stall in the first place by hitting it with powerful fire and electric moves.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Note Block posted:

Oh no don't give me any bottle caps then, just take the Eevee(s). I'll be online after 8pm EST so if you have PMs, I'll contact you that way :)

Awesome, thank you. I have PMs so let me know when you're online. I'm on the west coast though so I'll probably not be on until 10:30 Eastern. I'll send my friend code and name once I'm home.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Internet Kraken posted:

You can't just look at it in a vacuum. In a 1v1 matchup yeah a liquid ooze Tentacruel would ruin the stall Celesteela set. It also would resist all of Celesteela's good offensive moves so it has that going for it as well. But I don't think anyone is doing this because Tentacruel gets completely destroyed by Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele, both of which are basically as prevalent as Celesteela. Tentacruel would also get torn up by Garchomp's earthquakes and he's an extremely common partner for Celesteela.

Not gonna say its useless but it wouldn't be an easy solution. Best way to deal with Celesteela is to just not let it stall in the first place by hitting it with powerful fire and electric moves.

Honestly, Marowak-A comes through as the Meta-Breaker once again. On a 2s VGC matchup, Marowak with Lightningrod and Tapu Koko with Discharge will do just fine against just about any setup with Celesteela and Tapu Koko. Garchomp scares them both out, sure, but Hidden Power Ice is going to hurt on the super obvious switch in (because there's NO WAY they're switching out Celesteela's partner for Garchomp) and Ninetales is ANOTHER meta-killer because she naturally outspeeds Garchomp.

Honestly, I know it's early, but I really like how this meta looks and I can't wait for the Ultra Beast dust to settle. This weekends VGC tournament is gonna be fun.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just hatched a shiny mimikyu, was the first pokemon to make me work for it ever since I began hatching them.

I hope the next game whatever it is has the bank ready right away so I can actually use my glittery babies though. I almost have a full team!!

They all have bad to middling IV's because I'm not a comp battler or anything and just like having em :v:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
For dex completion on SM do you have to catch everything or just see it?

I don't really wanna breed one of every eevee and stuff. I've already got it all in my bank.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Top Ten OU Pokemon Marowak

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Top Two Pre-Bank OU Pokemon Marowak

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ruggington posted:

tfw mantine is top 25 OU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Toxapex, is that popular? Wow that's crazy. I thought that Pokémon was bad.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
I know Mimikyu is down there in the 30s but that still makes me really happy to see the little monster is popular and useful.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

gts apparently does not like kartana, i guess

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Countblanc posted:

tfw mantine is top 25 OU

Bulky motherfucker, great typing, reliable recovery.

JackDarko posted:

Toxapex, is that popular? Wow that's crazy. I thought that Pokémon was bad.

Bulky motherfucker, great typing, great ability, reliable recovery.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Ruggington posted:

As someone who endured leveling RBY Marowak to 100 back in the day just because I loved its design, this makes me so happy

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The only real problem with Toxapex is that it has absolutely no offensive presence whatsoever. It's great at stalling, but that's all it's good for. Not even Merciless will help with that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ruggington posted:

Is there a reason why regular Dugtrio is in the top 20? Is Arena Trap really useful right now?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Do beast balls get the catchrate bonus on solgalo/lunala?

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

PenguinKnight posted:

gts apparently does not like kartana, i guess

Can't even get a Yungoos for the drat thing! I'm just gonna Wonder Trade my last extra.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Is there a reason why regular Dugtrio is in the top 20? Is Arena Trap really useful right now?

Yes. It's also still extremely fast and was buffed this gen (+20 base attack).

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

FishBulb posted:

For dex completion on SM do you have to catch everything or just see it?

I don't really wanna breed one of every eevee and stuff. I've already got it all in my bank.

You gotta catch 'em all.

At least you only have to catch one to get all the form entries if you QR them. Although that won't help with Eevee. If you're not too fussed about the Shiny Charm I guess you could just wait until January when the Bank opens.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm sure I read somewhere regular Dugtrio has been pretty popular for a while.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

hangedman1984 posted:

Nope

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

hangedman1984 posted:

No. Nor Necrozma.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Lame! All this in game talk that it is an ultra beast too. Was hoping to get someone to trade me some trashmon holding a beastball to so I could catch it in a shiny spaceball, but it ain't gonna be worth it if I have to hurl like a 100 of those things at it to catch it.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

McDragon posted:

You gotta catch 'em all.

At least you only have to catch one to get all the form entries if you QR them. Although that won't help with Eevee. If you're not too fussed about the Shiny Charm I guess you could just wait until January when the Bank opens.

I'm sure I read somewhere regular Dugtrio has been pretty popular for a while.

I'll probably just wait til bank. Seems silly to try to breed anything before I get all my Dittos and poo poo anyways. The

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

arena trap is always useful

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Arena Trap and Sucker Punch is an amazing revenge killer.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

I took Professor Oak's advice.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 9, 2016

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Senerio posted:

I took Professor Oak's advice.
Nickname makes post.

e: Dwall, you around? I want to steal your Beastie Boys.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 9, 2016

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

hangedman1984 posted:

Lame! All this in game talk that it is an ultra beast too. Was hoping to get someone to trade me some trashmon holding a beastball to so I could catch it in a shiny spaceball, but it ain't gonna be worth it if I have to hurl like a 100 of those things at it to catch it.

I hurled 117 spaceballs (via soft reset each time) at Lunala to catch her. It's fun but in a determined, crazy way.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Man the Vast Poni Canyon music is so good and the music not changing when you get on a ride pokemon is a pro move, wish they went all in and did the same for battles.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

wow castform really is a pokedex meal ticket :stare:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Wait a moment. Zygarde is made up of a bunch of cells, and 100% Zygarde is "Perfect Zygarde" in japan

Did they introduce Perfect Cell in the new Pokemon?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

i've been throwing every ball i got at tapu lele for like 30 minutes now wtf

its at 1hp and asleep like 95% of the time :/

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Note Block posted:

My Mimikyu is also Pikaboo and my Ninetales is Yukimarimo. How do you do, fellow good names friend? :tipshat:

Also at this point, speaking for myself at least, I'm totally willing to give away good Pokemon for trashmon in return. Don't feel like you have nothing to contribute so you shouldn't be trading with the big boys and girls.

Giant Boy Detective posted:

We've been poke-lady-bros for like ever, Silver. I don't have a ton of time for breeding until at least Sunday, but let me know if there's anything from my lists (on the Great Goon Pretty Ball Spreadsheet) that you're jonesing for first, and we can find time to trade next week! Anything at all. :)

Thanks, both of you. :3: I would feel better about it if I could offer something, so I'll have a look at that Beast Ball/Apricorn Ball spreadsheet tomorrow and see if I can get some things folks don't have yet!

Note Block, do you still need a Marrill in a Lure Ball?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

spit on my clit posted:

Wait a moment. Zygarde is made up of a bunch of cells, and 100% Zygarde is "Perfect Zygarde" in japan

Did they introduce Perfect Cell in the new Pokemon?

Yeah kinda.

I mean it's not unprecedented for Pokemon to take inspiration from other sources. (Tyranitar, Volcarona, Hydreigon, Mewtwo-Y)