Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Sinteres posted:

I just also think Ukraine and Syria are pretty much in his sphere of influence

I think those countries are full of living, breathing humans who deserve to not have their hospitals and markets bombed and territory taken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So Assad has no problem killing dissenters who aren't jihadists but for some reason releases all kinds of jihadists who are now the core of the rebellion that almost toppled him, created Isis so that he could let Isis seize his oilfields so that he can buy oil from isis, and...

I think people are really taking the whole " our enemies are at the same time terrifying diabolical 4d chessplayers and also hilariously incompetent subhumans" thing a bit too far.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Throatwarbler posted:

So Assad has no problem killing dissenters who aren't jihadists but for some reason releases all kinds of jihadists who are now the core of the rebellion that almost toppled him, created Isis so that he could let Isis seize his oilfields so that he can buy oil from isis, and...

I think people are really taking the whole " our enemies are at the same time terrifying diabolical 4d chessplayers and also hilariously incompetent subhumans" thing a bit too far.

whats wrong with jihad????????????????????????????????

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

rear end struggle posted:

whats wrong with jihad????????????????????????????????

I never said there was anything wrong with jihad?? Honestly Nusra probably isn't even the worst group amongst the rebels these days, let one all the factions in Syria. From that article I posted it sounds like they don't even actually care that much about women's clothing. But I'm not American so maybe I would feel differently about al Qaeda if I were

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sergg posted:

I think those countries are full of living, breathing humans who deserve to not have their hospitals and markets bombed and territory taken
Nice of you to volunteer others to die on their behalf.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Throatwarbler posted:

I never said there was anything wrong with jihad??

Then grow a pair and support our boys in black fight against Russian imperialism.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

This is at best a tremendous misrepresentation of the theory you are attempting to describe.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Then grow a pair and support our boys in black fight against Russian imperialism.

Oh cool, our thread has its first terrorist recruiter.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

Assad releases jihadists to muddy the waters regarding who the dissidents are increasing his justifications for the terrorisation of his own populace. Large parts of his armed forces defect and the conflict spirals beyond his control. Wanting to keep all Syria, and defeat all his enemies, he focuses first on the forces that don't fit his propaganda and works with ISIS in some areas (in terms of keeping infrastructure running, not militarily) while fighting them on other fronts.

But that's a narrative and it assumes a bit. All we can really do is go off the verifiable and consistently corroborated evidence of specific actions.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Throatwarbler posted:

Go on a bit further with that logic and you'll be able to prove that the USA never supported the Afghan mujahideen against Soviet Russia because 9/11 makes that idea look silly.

75 years ago Japan attacked Pearl Harbor to get the USA to bomb Hiroshima and Nagasaki and force them to rebuild their country as they occupy it? Terrifying incompetent 4D chessplayers the Japanese!

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 9, 2016

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Sinteres posted:

Oh cool, our thread has its first terrorist recruiter.

please, im sure a state department employee has posted in this thread before.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

please, im sure a state department employee has posted in this thread before.

RIP Vilerat

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Sinteres posted:

RIP Vilerat

those manpads could have made all the difference in the mujahadeen's struggle against the crusader's hawks of war

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cat Mattress posted:

Go on a bit further with that logic and you'll be able to prove that the USA never supported the Afghan mujahideen against Soviet Russia because 9/11 makes that idea look silly.

75 years ago Japan attacked Pearl Harbor to get the USA to bomb Hiroshima and Nagasaki and force them to rebuild their country as they occupy it? Terrifying incompetent 4D chessplayers the Japanese!

What? The US supported Afghan mujahedeen didn't do 9/11 or have anything to do with 9/11. A Saudi who also happened to support the Afghan Mujahedeen at the time organized and funded a group of mostly Saudis to do 9/11 and then fled to Afghanistan seeking sanctuary with the Taliban, a group that was created decades after the Soviet invasion that overthrew the government created by the US funded mujahedeen and had been at war with then ever since, a day before or after 9/11 Said Arabs even assassinated one of the last leaders of the us supported mujahedeen who was still fighting them and the Taliban.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Sinteres posted:

Nice of you to volunteer others to die on their behalf.

They seem quite eager to die on their own behalf

EDIT: Wait when the gently caress did not wanting them to have their hospitals and markets bombed and territory taken become some kind of controversial statement? What kind of bizarro universe do I live in?

Sergg fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 9, 2016

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sergg posted:

They seem quite eager to die on their own behalf

Mission accomplished then?

Sergg posted:

EDIT: Wait when the gently caress did not wanting them to have their hospitals and markets bombed and territory taken become some kind of controversial statement? What kind of bizarro universe do I live in?

That's not controversial, but when you start pointing that out as an argument against recognizing that Russia has a sphere of influence, it suggests you want to do something to stop them, which makes it a bit more of a contentious issue. It's possible to think that Russia's behavior is monstrous while still thinking the drawbacks of acting against them outweigh the benefits.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 9, 2016

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
The more images come out of Al Salam hospital in Mosul the bigger the ISF's gently caress up looks.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Also IS looks like is making a serious push to recapture all of Palmyra.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

Almost toppled him? Seized his oilfields? ISIS and Assad's forces largely left each other alone for the first few years. ISIS set up shop in Syria in the East, where the pro-Assad forces had already lost control or withdrawn and proceeded to battle it out with the other rebel factions for territory and resources. Assad bought oil from ISIS during that period of stability, with ISIS only beginning large scale operations against the SAA around the time they pushed to Palmyra. This took place as the SAA was looking pretty weak on that front and ISIS was retreating in Iraq and Northern Syria from <everybody who isn't Assad/Russia>. They never came anywhere close to toppling Assad or even threatening his major strongholds.

Even these days all the major regime offensives have been aimed at <not-ISIS> despite the substantial front with them. The closest thing to a major offensive on ISIS was the counter-attack to Palmyra which re-captured much of the lost territory before going right back into a defensive posture.

Throatwarbler posted:

Also IS looks like is making a serious push to recapture all of Palmyra.

Assad probably withdrew most of the units holding it (again) for the push on Aleppo.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 9, 2016

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Throatwarbler posted:

Cirofren posted:

Assad releases jihadists to muddy the waters regarding who the dissidents are increasing his justifications for the terrorisation of his own populace. Large parts of his armed forces defect and the conflict spirals beyond his control. Wanting to keep all Syria, and defeat all his enemies, he focuses first on the forces that don't fit his propaganda and works with ISIS in some areas (in terms of keeping infrastructure running, not militarily) while fighting them on other fronts.

But that's a narrative and it assumes a bit. All we can really do is go off the verifiable and consistently corroborated evidence of specific actions.
Took a bit of hunting, but here you go:
https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/4ody75/new_syrian_army_confirms_they_are_being_bombed_by/
https://twitter.com/south_front_sy/status/743444709369065472

quote:

#Breaking
Regime attacks supported by Russian air support are hitting #FSA area of al-Tanf, #Syria-#Iraq cross border in rif-Damascus
This was the SAA and Russia attacking the NySA rebels; said rebels were fighting ISIL out in the desert, nowhere near regime territory.

"It's Assad or ISIL, and we're gonna loving make sure that's the only choice, no matter how many people we have to kill to make it so!"

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 9, 2016

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
If guns could tell their stories:
https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/806633992271392769

Nazi and Soviet small arms, united in purpose.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Nazi and Soviet small arms, united in purpose.

It's like Poland 1939.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Whats the shelf life of assault rifle weapons and their ammunition? really bizarre to see an STG-44 still in use.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009
Next to the ppsh, is that a johnson rifle? Even in the horrible condition those guns are in that's a lot of money at auction.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Fizzil posted:

Whats the shelf life of assault rifle weapons and their ammunition? really bizarre to see an STG-44 still in use.

Really hard to explain because it's not going to be in years, because most often times these are guns that are dipped in cosmoline, sealed in a bag, and kept on a shelf. In actual use, going off the experience from a Nevada rental range and other places, most guns will probably go 5,000 to 10,000 rounds without minor parts breaking. 15k to 20k rounds before the barrel needs replacing and that's more due to accuracy loss: if you don't care about being able to hit a human target at 400m fifty-percent of the time and you spray-and-pray, you could put double that before the barrel weakens enough to be a hazard. The bolts can go about 20,000 rounds before feeding and misfire problems come up. The receivers themselves could go for about 100,000 to 200,000 rounds depending on the gun: for example, the stamped steel lower receiver of the Kalashnikov will crack around 100k+ but the cast or billeted aluminium upper and lower of the AR will continue to go past 200k.

The major thing about some of those old guns is what they're using for ammunition. In some cases, they're is a chance they could be converted to a more plentiful ammunition, which could affect their reliability. The other thing is maintenance and stress. A gun sitting a state arsenal soaked in cosmoline is probably going to be in better shape than a gun that was cannibalized from other guns, dropped a dozen times, and then taken off a dead body found after an artillery barrage.

Ammunition has a shorter shelf date due to powders, but people are still using 100-year-old ammunition just fine as long as the casings haven't corroded.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.
Its probably Yugoslav licenses and East-German surplus, though a lot of confiscated Nazi weapons were put to use rather then being destroyed.

The French and the Britts wanted to leave their mandates with atleast a rudimentary security force, and war spoils was a cheap alternative.

If you remember Hajar Seniors "Charge of the light brigade", they had an MG42 clone.

Lets not go overboard with the NRA/CoD chat.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Iraq hospital battle looks bad.

https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/5hbjie/islamic_state_media_for_the_battle_of_mosul/

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/lethal-mistake-leads-to-harrowing-ambush-in-mosul-1.3196113

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles...tack?src=usn_fb

It screams clickbait but the entire concept is so naff, selfdefeating and they are selling it like a Agile Project Methodology.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

54.4 crowns posted:

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles...tack?src=usn_fb

It screams clickbait but the entire concept is so naff, selfdefeating and they are selling it like a Agile Project Methodology.

You can't use statistical analysis on problems that are inherently unquantifiable... :ughh:

Major fail. They admit rigt off the bat in the article that they just arbitrarily assign weight values to "evidence and reliability of sources". So they're just a bunch of dudes just like us, but they wring their biases through a magic algorithm and that makes it probabilistic somehow.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

After a blitz broke Assad's lines in Palmyra it seems his forces are either under tremendous strain or have potentially even collapsed. A counter attack failed in a big way, ambushed with dozens killed and wounded, and ISIS has continued to take positions that are threatening to cut off Palmyra entirely. Reports that ISIS has begun to enter the city from the east while pinching the supply line in the west, with rumors of a retreat by Assad's forces from the Palmyra salient into Homs proper. Follow the Palmyra hashtag on Twitter for more information, it's coming out in a storm right now. Fog of war, ect.

My understanding is that ISIS somehow found enough soldiers to field one last offensive gasp, perhaps taking forces withdrawn from either Al-Bab or Iraq and assembled them throughout their positions along the Palmyra salient. The abrupt Russian departure a few days ago may have been a similar event to when the Tigers withdrew during the Tabq offensive, where Assad's forces were surprised by a big build up by the enemy right under their noses and the elite forces fled and left the regular militias to fight off the overwhelming attack.

Whatever the outcome, this doesn't change the course of the war but I feel very bad for the civilians who may wind up being trapped by ISIS for a second time in two years. This does showcase that ISIS is one of the most oddly competent forces in the war, capable of pulling this stunt off at all is impressive considering the advanced stage of atrophy of their position. Another thing to consider in that regard is how they handled the four different armies that were pushing on Al-Bab, bleeding each of them and letting them closer and closer to the city until everyone was just a few miles away from it. Now Al-Bab is a geo political football and all of their enemies are suffering heart burn from it, although perhaps not Assad's faction because this is a short term aberration before they start being able to apply the forces in Aleppo to critical areas throughout the country.

Another thing to note is that the US destroyed a hilarious number of oil tankers, over 160, in the past 48 hours. With the amount of oil fields that have fallen to ISIS I wonder if that was a precautionary measure in case they did actually close this salient and were able to operate the oil rigs, if they're even operational at this point of the war. I think the oil rigs west of Palmyra have been fought over and captured so much that they're inoperable, but it's just a thought.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Brother Friendship posted:

After a blitz broke Assad's lines in Palmyra it seems his forces are either under tremendous strain or have potentially even collapsed. A counter attack failed in a big way, ambushed with dozens killed and wounded, and ISIS has continued to take positions that are threatening to cut off Palmyra entirely. Reports that ISIS has begun to enter the city from the east while pinching the supply line in the west, with rumors of a retreat by Assad's forces from the Palmyra salient into Homs proper. Follow the Palmyra hashtag on Twitter for more information, it's coming out in a storm right now. Fog of war, ect.

My understanding is that ISIS somehow found enough soldiers to field one last offensive gasp, perhaps taking forces withdrawn from either Al-Bab or Iraq and assembled them throughout their positions along the Palmyra salient. The abrupt Russian departure a few days ago may have been a similar event to when the Tigers withdrew during the Tabq offensive, where Assad's forces were surprised by a big build up by the enemy right under their noses and the elite forces fled and left the regular militias to fight off the overwhelming attack.

Whatever the outcome, this doesn't change the course of the war but I feel very bad for the civilians who may wind up being trapped by ISIS for a second time in two years. This does showcase that ISIS is one of the most oddly competent forces in the war, capable of pulling this stunt off at all is impressive considering the advanced stage of atrophy of their position. Another thing to consider in that regard is how they handled the four different armies that were pushing on Al-Bab, bleeding each of them and letting them closer and closer to the city until everyone was just a few miles away from it. Now Al-Bab is a geo political football and all of their enemies are suffering heart burn from it, although perhaps not Assad's faction because this is a short term aberration before they start being able to apply the forces in Aleppo to critical areas throughout the country.

Another thing to note is that the US destroyed a hilarious number of oil tankers, over 160, in the past 48 hours. With the amount of oil fields that have fallen to ISIS I wonder if that was a precautionary measure in case they did actually close this salient and were able to operate the oil rigs, if they're even operational at this point of the war. I think the oil rigs west of Palmyra have been fought over and captured so much that they're inoperable, but it's just a thought.

Most likely the SAA gutted the units guarding the ISIS borders again to throw them at the other rebels. It's been a pretty quiet front for a while and ISIS simply isn't a priority for Assad yet.

They probably don't have the troops available to make a concerted counterattack. There will probably be a week or two of consolidation until units can be brought back over.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

ISIS has a pretty consistent strategy of shifting their forces around to hit weak fronts. It's one of their strong suites, along with their slick PR department and unnervingly good/prolific use of suicide troops.

Haystack fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 9, 2016

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Even self aware robots are willing to martyr themselves for the restoration of the Caliphate

https://twitter.com/WithinSyriaBlog/status/807312954014265344

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

*drunk post*

54.4 crowns fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 10, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

echomadman posted:

Even self aware robots are willing to martyr themselves for the restoration of the Caliphate

'suicide drone', or in plain speak guided missile, unless the operator shoots himself in the head after he's done

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

so why are folks suddenly talking endlessly about these white helmet dudes?

i've been following this conflict since assad was shooting folks at protests and i'd never heard of them before like a month or two ago

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Jazerus posted:

i've been following this conflict since assad was shooting folks at protests and i'd never heard of them before like a month or two ago

Because they film stuff like this during their work, so it's important to some people to delegitimatise them and their work as much as possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ82dCcqpBY

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jazerus posted:

I think they're getting increasing play from international media. There was also a controversy around them recently, where they staged a mock rescue, which they ended up apologizing for.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Count Roland posted:

I think they're getting increasing play from international media. There was also a controversy around them recently, where they staged a mock rescue, which they ended up apologizing for.

More details on that here, probably not the smartest thing to try the mannequin challenge in a war zone. Not looking forward to the ISIS attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nenonen posted:

'suicide drone', or in plain speak guided missile, unless the operator shoots himself in the head after he's done

I think it occupies a useful linguistic niche for flying, remote-guided bombs that are far slower than missiles.

• Locked thread