Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

TheRationalRedditor posted:

That's specifically the shipping alone, it's listed as a separate deduction under the actual step-up price difference between my 1070 and the 1080

Oh, I'm just suggesting on the shipping of the card to EVGA to use UPS. Apparently, Fedex has additional fees and such they dont tell you until you get ready to actually pay to ship the package. Like a $29 customs fees. Have EVGA ship it to you however you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Oh I hear you on that, but I haven't paid yet so the invoice page of "step 3" just has the projected cost where I don't get to change or alter anything and the shipping is flatly listed as -$73 dollars. I'm wondering if the choice of carrier customization comes after this step when I pay, or that I somehow don't get a choice because of shipping to Canada.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
According to a recentish Reddit post, 6 months ago, you get to choose shipping options after you have shipped your card to them(I assume after they receive it). It's all up to you though if you feel this is a worthwhile investment of your money for your entertainment.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
New Radeon drivers are out.

Anyone with a Hawaii chip want to go in and dick around with Wattman?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Seamonster posted:

I'm gonna check this out later :getin:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Seamonster posted:

Today is a good day to undervolt!

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Strix 480 on the way. I am very done with card shopping

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Is consensus is now that 480 > 1060 with ReLive 16.12.1?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Risky Bisquick posted:

Is consensus is now that 480 > 1060 with ReLive 16.12.1?

480 = 1060 pick whatever you want.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

wargames posted:

But they were neck and neck before the 16.12.1 ReLive drivers according to this updated review.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73945-gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-updated-review.html

Drivers:
AMD Radeon Software 16.11.5 Hotfix
NVIDIA 376.09 Beta

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
On a new build for a system using a 480, you should allot for a 650W PSU over a 550W just for overhead. Ensuring better airflow and positive pressure in the case would be good, too.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

wargames posted:

I'd say the availability of freesync pushes the 480 ahead.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

On a new build for a system using a 480, you should allot for a 650W PSU over a 550W just for overhead. Ensuring better airflow and positive pressure in the case would be good, too.

it's a 150w card, not a kerosene room heater jfc

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

xthetenth posted:

Today is a good day to undervolt!

I'm already running an undervolt on my OC'd 390. If wattman works well it means I can uninstall afterburner. More granular control over voltage between states instead of one slider sounds nice.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I had a 1070 and a 95w i7 both overclocked on a 450W

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

This... isn't how version numbers work :psyduck:

What the gently caress is the difference, why are they even presenting these two things like this

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Usually "Install" = update the drivers, but retain config files, settings, etc. while "Clean Install" = delete everything and start fresh with default config/settings.

But yeah, that's not really how, uh, numbers work there guys. Good job.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Okay that actually makes sense but why wouldn't they explain that? It's not like you get a confirmation before you nuke your settings or anything (I wouldn't know because I like being dirty)

E: Even though I already know what this is because I read the release notes, they could really do a better job of not asking users to blindly install things. That the skip button has to exist here does not do the first impression any favors. At the start of this "custom install" I already had the option of checking or unchecking boxes of things I did or did not want installed, why would they make this a separate step?

The old installer was better :rip:

Double Edit: and while I'm complaining, the release notes don't actually say if ReLive is any better/capable of capturing and streaming DX12/Vulkan titles. I'll wait for someone else to find out

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 8, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It's been a checkbox on the Nvidia side for years as well so it's nothing new there.

But your number scheme almost seems like a Intel playbook move as some of their iGPU drivers have done crap like that (and their Storage Drivers as well come to think about it) where the number is less then the last driver released, but is a "newer" driver. Ugh :psyduck:

At least you can be sure that a 17.X driver is around the corner next month that should hopefully clear up the confusion at this part. They have been numbering based on the year since like 08 now at least I believe.

*poo poo come to look at it, that is all the "new" drivers are there. Just numbered based on the date released.

2016.12.1 and 2016.11.5

However the 16.40.... Is that a "Hotfix" driver or Beta by any chance?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Looks like the number scheme got changed when they switched away from a fixed driver release schedule to me, so hopefully they'll be internally consistent now.

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012

EdEddnEddy posted:

However the 16.40.... Is that a "Hotfix" driver or Beta by any chance?

They're being kinda unhelpful and showing two different versions there: 16.40.xxxx is an internal (driver) version, 16.12.1 is their 'package' version that tends to be the one that's easier to find.

(The relive driver version corresponding is 16.50.2001, at least according to the settings program)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Okay that actually makes sense but why wouldn't they explain that? It's not like you get a confirmation before you nuke your settings or anything (I wouldn't know because I like being dirty)

Because it's very common nomenclature? NV have the exact same thing in their driver install.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Stanley Pain posted:

Because it's very common nomenclature? NV have the exact same thing in their driver install.

Using NV's installer as an example of good or common UX is laughable at best.

The point is that it's a regression from the previous interface, which was much more clear as to what would happen before you clicked on what is known as a destructive action.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is anyone putting any stock into the rumors that Nivdia is going to launch a 20s line of video cards this summer? According to a couple sites they would essentially be a Pascal refresh but 10-15% faster and cheaper. The 2080 would be $499 for instance. Since Nvidia is releasing the 1080ti this winter not long after CES that would clear the entire year for them to release something else. Then in Q3 2018 Volta is set to come out.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

2016 continues its trend of being rear end backwards.

https://youtu.be/HHHkPaxC7iE

E: phone isn't displaying the link like it should. AdoredTV's video on ReLive vs Shadowplay performance. Looks like ReLive is lighter weight.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Going through two RMAs in a row is the worst thing. Since Ive had my first gaming computer, i've had 3 cards die on me and 2 become so faulty they were barely functional. Either ive had the worst luck or GPUs are the most fragile of all computer components. As soon as this RMA thing is done, I think i'm gonna go the EVGA route since I hear so many praises sung.

But still, :negative:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Consider a new power supply or a UPS with line filtering or something.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

HORY poo poo PISS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the single most impactful driver update I've ever had the joy of experiencing. If you have a Fury, definitely update ASAP

1440p DiRT is reaching new highs of 160fps+. Shadows are often done rendering before I even get around the corner. Based on the benchmark XMLs, peak frame time has dropped from an embarrassing 19ms all the way down to an extremely acceptable 13.7ms

I can also play DOOM 4 in Vulkan at 1440p native, ultra everything. Barely ever dropping blow 120fps in spots that used to chug below 60 without scaling down to 75%/high (1080p), such as the beginning of levels 2/3. Frame times are almost always <9ms, my 2600k is finally the bottleneck with a max just shy of 12ms. I did not think to play with the very latest update prior to also updating drivers, but the entire game seems to just look and feel way loving better. (But the Arcade Mode UI is still really slow for whatever reason)

Most importantly, any and all input lag as a result of said chugs is completely gone. This is the uncompromising 1440p experience I expected when I bought this thing.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I'm back yet again, just as mystified as before on something, like it's a curse or something. I modded an LGA775 board to accept an X5470, and coupled with an HD6950 and SSD, still manages to run Overwatch like rear end. Yet I've seen people manage with a Core 2 Duo and a GTS 450, or FX-6100 and similar GPU. I've tested against an HD7850, I've tested against the SSD and against the memory. What the hell is the drat bottleneck here? Overwatch can run on a potato, what is the deal?! Monitor is 1600x900, 60Hz.

Also apparently Overwatch will run on an HD4830/50/60/70/90 but they're not even DX11, how the gently caress?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Month of AMD

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Any more reports of EVGA ACX 3.0 cards self-immolating? My EVGA 1070 SC is going strong and I'm playing a lot of Rise of The Tomb Raider on it. One would think that would be the one game that would kill a defective card right? Game looks amazing especially on the 'very high' settings.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Welp all my anticipation for the new drivers was for nothing. The voltage control for my MSI 390 does not work at all in wattman, nor is there any way to set a custom fan curve. Entering in a value for the various voltages by state result in all my entries being truncated like I'll put in "1000" and it will change to "10" when I move the cursor to another box.

Worse yet every time I try to set clock speeds in afterburner, the card resets to the BIOS default (but the voltage setting and custom fan curve in afterburner DO take effect). The only way to keep ALL of the settings is to go into wattman and manually adjust the clock speeds (and ONLY the clock speeds) after EVERY boot. Have not tried chill yet but a quick firestrike run gave an additional 3% or ~400 points in graphics score so that's nice.

To be totally fair I'm not sure I can blame AMD for this one. MSI 390s AFAIK are relatively far off from the reference design and I can't expect AMD to account for EVERY SINGLE make and model of 390 out in the wild. Guess I'll have to wait for the update.

EDIT: Its not that the values are truncating, wattman isn't accepting them at all or I'm otherwise getting a blackscreen hard lock when trying to change a voltage, any voltage, any amount.

Seamonster fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 9, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

FaustianQ posted:

I'm back yet again, just as mystified as before on something, like it's a curse or something. I modded an LGA775 board to accept an X5470, and coupled with an HD6950 and SSD, still manages to run Overwatch like rear end. Yet I've seen people manage with a Core 2 Duo and a GTS 450, or FX-6100 and similar GPU. I've tested against an HD7850, I've tested against the SSD and against the memory. What the hell is the drat bottleneck here? Overwatch can run on a potato, what is the deal?! Monitor is 1600x900, 60Hz.

Also apparently Overwatch will run on an HD4830/50/60/70/90 but they're not even DX11, how the gently caress?

Anything weird running in task manager that's chewing up resources? I'd check there first, maybe even look at cooling to see if anything is throttling down from heat, or check power to see if there are any major fluctuations. What are the rest of the specs on your system? Could help to figure out where/why the performance drop is happening.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

spasticColon posted:

Any more reports of EVGA ACX 3.0 cards self-immolating? My EVGA 1070 SC is going strong and I'm playing a lot of Rise of The Tomb Raider on it. One would think that would be the one game that would kill a defective card right? Game looks amazing especially on the 'very high' settings.

The self immolating thing is almost certainly defective parts on some cards, it has very little to do with heat because those defective parts will eventually fail anyway, extra heat would very slightly accelerate the process but the heat itself is not an issue. Your card may have a defective part, that sort of thing can show up right away or take a long time to show up.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Anything weird running in task manager that's chewing up resources? I'd check there first, maybe even look at cooling to see if anything is throttling down from heat, or check power to see if there are any major fluctuations. What are the rest of the specs on your system? Could help to figure out where/why the performance drop is happening.

Full system specs are
X5470 (Under an old full copper tower cooler)
HD 6950
4GB DDR2 800Mhz
MSI P6NGM-FD
EVGA 750W SuperNova
120GB Kingston SSD
320GB WD HDD

Doing a full fresh install to eliminate possibilities, Windows 10 Pro.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

FaustianQ posted:

Full system specs are
X5470 (Under an old full copper tower cooler)
HD 6950
4GB DDR2 800Mhz
MSI P6NGM-FD
EVGA 750W SuperNova
120GB Kingston SSD
320GB WD HDD

Doing a full fresh install to eliminate possibilities, Windows 10 Pro.

This might be your problem.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This might be your problem.

Without a doubt. 4GB is rapidly becoming unusable for just browsing the web. 8GB is a bare minimum for gaming to not be a horrible experience, and 16GB is generally a good idea.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I originally thought that might be the issue but I've tested it in a comparable system (Phenom II 955/4GB DDR3 1600/HD 7850) without the advantage of an SSD and it runs it fluently on Ultra. 4 or 8GB seemed to make zero difference in overall performance, and if it's down to the ram it's because it's DDR2, but that still doesn't fly when apparently this exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz4Q1srpHbc

Even assuming a RAM bottleneck, the rig I'm struggling with should perform better than that, but that setup currently outperforms mine (with 15-28FPS)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I built this machine with 16gb of RAM in 2012, because I wanted a ridiculous amount of RAM.

It's sad how often I run out these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I tested a stream on twitch and youtube, both worked p good :toot: