Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Friendly Fire posted:

That's why you always get a building inspection before buying a home. I mean, it costs a couple of hundred dollars to check that your biggest investment isn't a lemon.

I've seen them miss some pretty major stuff, so you can't really take a positive building inspection at face value.

In my experience, if there is major structural/non-compliance issues very few inspectors will straight up tell you its hosed and not to go ahead. The reports are full of weasel statements about not being a qualified engineer and getting further advice. People are dumb enough to not read between the lines and go ahead with it, especially when it comes to units where issues are with the building as a whole.

This non-compliant hobbit dwelling kind of thing isn't that unusual except for the fact they're trying to sell it by itself and there isn't a legitimate dwelling upstairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Ladies and gentleman, I present to you the terrible saga of the guy who bought a basement converted into an apartment which is 1.8 metres from floor to ceiling and now doesn't want to go through with the contract:

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/280809

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-unit-nsw-harris+park-123934138

I was reading that thread at OzB earlier today, and I'm almost convinced it's a an elaborate troll, cause I don't want to believe somebody that dumb exists. The best part of the whole thing is his comment later on about people becoming multi-millionaires because of OzB. Who would have thought buying thousands of Eneloops and discount Lego sets could be so lucrative?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cartoon posted:

:golfclap: :allears:

It's a masterpiece.

Still fighting the 2010 election and trying to rewrite history to fix things, because they're fixers. Sad really. Someone somewhere might think a Keynesian policy worked. Do you think it's just because it might have helped non-rich non-approved ALP-voting people because they themselves were never going to suffer either way.

But I know for a fact that people lived longer, and spent less on their electricity bills, and some people got much needed work just from the pink batts scheme, despite its faults. But we still can't talk that way because the whole tapestry of lies would unravel. That they're still trying to rewrite things tells you what a problem their own narrative is for them; perhaps that they think somehow this "myth" of stimulus is the thing that's preventing people from seeing their version of reality and if only they could make it go away people will be more receptive hahaha. Boy is there bad news there.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Cartoon posted:

You know how there's been some dire poo poo come out recently about the performance of the sub-muppets at the helm?

lol

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...dec6f27338556a7

:golfclap: :allears:

It's a masterpiece.

If only we had some counter-examples to see what would have happened if we pursued austerity instead of stimulus.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Solemn Sloth posted:

If only we had some counter-examples to see what would have happened if we pursued austerity instead of stimulus.

I also seem to remember someone screeching 'budget emergency' in between mouthfuls of cigars and ben & jerrys and proposing austerity. Went down a treat with the voting public. Not sure why the Libs don't want to go there hard right now.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I'd just like to point out that this guy is a 'highly regarded' economist. What are your qualifications to be doubting his proclamations? Hmmmm?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Cartoon posted:

I'd just like to point out that this guy is a 'highly regarded' economist. What are your qualifications to be doubting his proclamations? Hmmmm?

Poorly regarding shitposter.

Still a better qualification.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The paper so nice he wrote it twice

quote:

The federal government has been accused of using taxpayer funds to create "fake news" after Treasury published a report discrediting Labor's response to the global financial crisis.

The Treasury report by Griffith University economics professor Tony Makin says Labor's fiscal stimulus program was ineffective and damaging.

It's similar to a report written by Prof Makin two years ago, which was dismissed by then Treasury boss Martin Parkinson.

Former treasurer Wayne Swan, who oversaw the rollout of Labor's stimulus package, says Treasury chief John Fraser needs to explain why and at what cost the review was done, given Treasury had already debunked Prof Makin's claims.

"Asking right-wing economist who opposed stimulus at the time to review it is like putting Dracula in charge of a blood bank," he tweeted.

"Govt through Treasury is now paying to create more fake news."

Shadow treasurer Chris Bowen says it's a "disturbing politicisation" of the Treasury Department.

He's written to Mr Fraser asking how and why the report came about and why it was released on Friday, after being leaked to media on Thursday.

"The report today shows how desperate this government is to try and distract the Australian public from their own incompetence on the economy," Mr Bowen said.

"The government needs to explain why the Treasury apparently commissioned this work by a well-known ideological opponent of the GFC stimulus package."

Prof Makin's report says the Labor government's fiscal response to the GFC weakened the economy by strengthening the Australian dollar and creating uncertainty about how the budget would be repaired.

"Prolonged overvaluation of the exchange rate seriously worsened Australia's international competitiveness and harmed industries in the tradable sector, especially manufacturing," he writes.

The report's release comes as official figures on Wednesday showed the economy shrank 0.5 per cent in the September quarter - the biggest decline since the 2008-2009 global financial crisis.

Here it is during the Abbott years

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...672cb2fbe447f78

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Cartoon posted:

Four years postgrad qualification at clown college. Your move. :smug:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://cdn.tspace.gov.au/uploads/sites/99/2016/10/The-Effectiveness-of-Federal-Fiscal-Policy.pdf

It's worth reading the actual report if you're interested. I've only skimmed through it but his argument seems to be that the stimulus contributed to the high dollar, which made exports less competitive. In a sense that's probably true, but I think less competitive exports are probably a fairly small price to pay to avoid the kind of recession seen in Europe and the US.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

He's probably part of the "we need another recession" type of crowd who thinks having everybody scrap for a smaller pie is a good thing to do every once in a while.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
The Griffith Business School strikes again

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Hyperventilating over public debt is exactly the kind of BS neoliberal economists pull when they have no other plans for the local economy. Governments use public debt as a tool, it's not a bogeyman. This from the same people who externalize everything else if there's a buck in it (eg asset sales).

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Comstar posted:

60% of large businesses pay no tax. I have full confidence that Scomo will blame Labour and that's why we need to cut business taxes.

If we lighten the burden on big businesses they will be more likely to pay their fair share :downs:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Jonah Galtberg posted:

If we lighten the burden on big businesses they will be more likely to pay their fair share :downs:

Arguably, it was due to this happening and thus undercutting smuggling, that led to the American war of independence. :eng101:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

"Radical centre"
"soft bigotry of the left"
‘compassionistas’

Maybe Neal Pearson is just retarded.

Lmao the google results for compassionistas

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"Controversial conservative politicians Cory Bernardi and George Christensen have agreed to help an anti-Islam organisation raise funds to defend a defamation case brought by a halal certifier.

The South Australian senator and Queensland MP, who are both outspoken critics of Islam and halal certification, are on the bill for a series of events by the Q Society, the Australian reported."

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/dec/09/cory-bernardi-and-george-christensen-to-raise-funds-for-anti-islam-group

loving hell Libs, get your loving morons under control.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

hooman posted:

The morons are at the controls. That's the problem.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

hooman posted:

"Controversial conservative politicians Cory Bernardi and George Christensen have agreed to help an anti-Islam organisation raise funds to defend a defamation case brought by a halal certifier.

The South Australian senator and Queensland MP, who are both outspoken critics of Islam and halal certification, are on the bill for a series of events by the Q Society, the Australian reported."

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/dec/09/cory-bernardi-and-george-christensen-to-raise-funds-for-anti-islam-group

It doesn't get any more blatant than this

WARNING: ARSETRALIAN - DO NOT CLICK - GOOGLE HEADLINE

Bernardi, Christensen fight for anti-Islam society posted:

The Coalition’s self-styled conservative warriors Cory Bernardi and George Christensen will ­appear at a fundraising dinner to help an anti-Islam organisation and three members of a rival ­political party defend themselves in defamation ­proceedings.

Senator Bernardi said he agreed to speak at the Q Society fundraiser after he was ­approached by Kirralie Smith, the Australian Liberty Alliance’s lead Senate candidate for NSW at this year’s federal election and one of the respondents to a defamation lawsuit bought by Halal meat certifier Mohamed El-Mouelhy.

“I am more than happy to ­assist in raising money to fund the legal defence of a friend against Mohamed El-Mouelhy,’’ Senator Bernardi said.

“Kirralie Smith is a personal friend and when asked to lend support, a true friend always steps up to do what they can.’’

Senator Bernardi last year ­delivered a 10-minute speech to the Senate under parliamentary privilege in which he described Mr El-Mouelhy as a liar and his business activities as corrupt.

Mr Christensen said Ms Smith had been “victimised’’ over her scrutiny of the Halal certification industry.

Speaking from the US, Mr El- Mouelhy was nonplussed by the fundraiser line-up: “They can do what the hell they like — they are ­losing the case anyway.’’

The case, which has been set down for a five-week jury trial in the NSW Supreme Court in March, centres on two videos narrated by Ms Smith and published by the Q Society.

Mr El-Mouelhy claims the videos carry the imputations that he is corrupt, dishonest, funds terrorism and is party to a global Islamic plot to destroy Australian values.

The Q Society and three of its officeholders are named alongside Ms Smith as respondents. The office holders named in the lawsuit include alliance president and West Australian Senate candidate Debbie Robinson and secretary Ralph Schumann.

The Q Society is holding dinners in Sydney and Melbourne to raise funds to ­defend the claim and prosecute a cross-claim against Mr El-Mouelhy for calling them bigoted and racist in ­social media posts.

Legal fees and court costs are expected to top $1 million.

The line-up at the dinners is an eclectic mix of conservative figures.

In Sydney, alliance candidate Angry Anderson will be joined by fringe cartoonist Larry Pickering and former Liberal Party MP Ross Cameron. In Melbourne, senators Bernardi and Christensen will share the stage with pastor Mark Durie.

The funds are to be directed to the ­Q Society and its legal ­defence, and will not benefit the alliance.

The Q-Society are straight up some of the most "respectable-looking" ultranationalists in Australia, and also enjoy the support of the more respectable neo-nazis. The fact that Bernadi and Christensen can associate with ~actual neo-nazis~ while the Arsetralian merely reports them as "an anti-muslim group" is loving :laffo: .

Like did anyone actually consider that some bizarro weird "society" with an obfuscated name like some bad-guy organisation out of a Bond movie might be a bad thing? Hmmmmmmmmmm

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
Well it's not the first time some of these Liberal scrubs went to some sort of nazi/MRA/how-to-date-rape public event, and sadly I think it'll end about as well as always: completely ignored.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Recoome posted:

The fact that Bernadi and Christensen can associate with ~actual neo-nazis~ while the Arsetralian merely reports them as "an anti-muslim group" is loving :laffo: .

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

hahaha :five:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

:five:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"Our politicians are worryingly associated with neonazis" sadly seems to mean a lot less now given trump.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Loss edits becoming ever more abstract.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Pocket Billiards posted:

I've seen them miss some pretty major stuff, so you can't really take a positive building inspection at face value.

In my experience, if there is major structural/non-compliance issues very few inspectors will straight up tell you its hosed and not to go ahead. The reports are full of weasel statements about not being a qualified engineer and getting further advice. People are dumb enough to not read between the lines and go ahead with it, especially when it comes to units where issues are with the building as a whole.

This non-compliant hobbit dwelling kind of thing isn't that unusual except for the fact they're trying to sell it by itself and there isn't a legitimate dwelling upstairs.

Well, you do have to find a good inspector and all that. When I first bought a house, my inspector got me out of two contacts due to the places not being up to scratch including one which was had structural issues.

The guy in the link didn't even have a cursory inspection done.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

You know about the sexual harrassment employees at Honey Birdette have been exposed to

Check out these pro comments :smug:

:smug::hf::mrapig::hf::smug:

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog. This one was posted with a lifeline disclaimer.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

FDOTM needs to turn their monitor on before they draw

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Loss edits becoming ever more abstract.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/mearesy/status/807089421258342400

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

More tears before bedtime:

'Drastic overkill': Nationals riled after states agree to tough Adler shotgun classification

https://twitter.com/PaulineHansonOz/status/807137983795105792

and Dumbo was quick to chime in

https://twitter.com/SenatorMRoberts/status/807142565539516420

but the great one is also from the SMH:

Liberal Party powerbroker's wife Kristina Photios quits over lack of action on climate change

quote:

"Debate in the Liberal Party is being shut down by a vocal minority of conservatives who are subverting the democratic process," Ms Photios said, singling out former prime minister Tony Abbott and South Australian senator Cory Bernardi as among those "ideologically-driven" Liberals who wield disproportionate influence.

"Josh Frydenberg and Malcolm Turnbull did not propose a policy this week, they proposed having a debate about what is the best policy to reduce emissions. Why are the Liberals, the party of business and markets, stopping a new innovative sector [renewable energy] from growing? It's completely hypocritical."

This isn't some lefty, this is the wife of a Liberal party bigwig who's always moved in privileged circles. If they're getting worried, interesting times indeed.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Holy poo poo, Bernardi just called the Greens and Labor "rentseekers". The LNP, calling others rentseekers. Ho-ly gently caress, he did it with a straight face, too.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

She was on the drum with Julia Baird just then. Spoke well. Said she thought Turnbull could be a superb pm but he had no balls. The right wing are apparently threatening to dissolve government over every little thing, refusing to debate in party or concede any compromise. The exact phrasing was 'take their ball and go home'. Turnbull needed to call their bluff and refused to do so.

He's going to drown shackled to these fuckwits.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hiddenmovement posted:

She was on the drum with Julia Baird just then. Spoke well. Said she thought Turnbull could be a superb pm but he had no balls. The right wing are apparently threatening to dissolve government over every little thing, refusing to debate in party or concede any compromise. The exact phrasing was 'take their ball and go home'. Turnbull needed to call their bluff and refused to do so.

He's going to drown shackled to these fuckwits.

Maybe the LNP power brokers need to go start a new fuckwit free party if the current one is so rotted from inside?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

DancingShade posted:

LNP power brokers

DancingShade posted:

fuckwit free

um

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
The direction of the world would seem to indicate that liberals are the right-wing's bitches. I don't think we can expect any significant number of them to do anything as drastic as speak out publicly, let alone form a new party.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Holy poo poo, Bernardi just called the Greens and Labor "rentseekers". The LNP, calling others rentseekers. Ho-ly gently caress, he did it with a straight face, too.

I think hes tslked about cultural marxism before as well. Havent heard him say anything about globalists yet but its not like i seek out information about him

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Trump lost the pop vote by a loving mile against a totally unlikeable candidate that had 0 drawing power. 10% of brexit voters now admit they made a huge loving mistake. There's resentment against the established order, not global love of right wing nutbars.

He can absolutely tell them to gently caress off. If he does, the worst possible outcome is the party votes him out and he quits politics having achieved nothing, but that's precisely what will happen after the next two frustrating pointless years anyway. Rip off the bandaid and take a chance on being the moderate, effective liberal people voted for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This guy is a barrister. It confounds me that if he was any good, he'd find a way to not simply face them down but threaten their political viability as well. That he doesn't appear to even be acting as a PM with the kind of party power normally associated with a PM doesn't tell me so much that the Right has too much power but the rest of the party are simply too interested in the goodies of office to bother much with any pushback. Against that kind of apathy it might be difficult for any PM.

• Locked thread