Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star

Groggy nard posted:

I almost beat the current one once, but I don't have enough brain damage to keep trying it. Just not worth it.

And I definitely beat the old one back when the game was in open beta.

For what it's worth - I got my poo poo pushed in by the advanced combat tutorial until I spent some time in the game and got really used to HOTAS controls - managing where power is going and using all the thrusters made the difference when I tried again the other day and got through it with ~80% hull remaining.

e: Other than having the shields well powered when taking fire I think the real difference was making sure to maximise damage on the first target in the second wave by putting all power to weapons (so they don't overheat as quickly and keep firing). This meant it was back to a one on one pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TheKeeper posted:

FYI for peeps with beta access who may not be aware:

If you load into the Guardians beta and start a new save, you'll start with one billion credits at a (planetary) base where every ship/component is available for purchase and with an engineer who does every available mod for the asking price of one fish per roll.

As someone who can't put a lot of time into the game, this is a great way to check out ships I'll likely never own in the live game. At least not while I can play only a few hours/week. So far I've tried a fully maxed/engineered out Imperial Clipper and Python.

Question: as I play this almost exclusively in VR; which ships have the best looking interiors?

The huge ships, like the Anaconda and the Imperial Cutter probably look helluva sweet in VR, after all you have an entire bridge to look at.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Max Wilco posted:

I can't seem to beat the Advanced Combat Tutorial. I managed to beat the first ship on one attempt, but then I got taken out by the two ships that warp in after.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I heard Kirk beat it, but he cheated...

Seriously though, the combat tutorial is impossible. Just jump into the game: worst thing that happens is you die and respawn in the same ship! :black101:

:smug:

I don't think you're supposed to be able to beat it before you've come to grips with combat in the game. It shouldn't be named 'training', but 'challenge'. Back when I first started and attempted this, I found it so hard and unforgiving that I simply thought I'd avoid combat entirely

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 8, 2016

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Mu77ley posted:

Wonder if that will include support for Sony's VR headset (I would hope so)?

People complain that the Vive's resolution makes it hard to read poo poo in E:D.

The PS4's headset is much lower resolution than that. It's not gonna be good.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
What? Sony's headset has more subpixels, not less.

Also, the problem with vive and elite was supersampling, and has since been fixed. I play elite exclusively with vive and have zero issues with text.

Giovanni0109
Apr 28, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

What? Sony's headset has more subpixels, not less.

Also, the problem with vive and elite was supersampling, and has since been fixed. I play elite exclusively with vive and have zero issues with text.

Yeah, and ever since Asynchronous Timewarp (or whatever Valve is calling it) was released on the Vive, supersampling plus that has made Elite much sharper and prettier in VR.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

I can't seem to beat the Advanced Combat Tutorial. I managed to beat the first ship on one attempt, but then I got taken out by the two ships that warp in after.

Does diverting power to Systems make your shields charge faster? If not, then is there a technique to dodging enemy attacks? Between this and the trouble I had trying to complete the docking tutorial, I'm sort of skeptical about how well I'll do in the main game.

Man I hope you are only doing the advanced combat tutorial because you love it so much, because otherwise why the hell are you torturing yourself? Just start playing!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Man I want to play this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YESNObZJTgQ

At least Planet Coaster is good... :cabot:

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Libluini posted:

why the hell are you torturing yourself?

Elite Dangerous: Why the hell are you torturing yourself?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Man I want to play this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YESNObZJTgQ

At least Planet Coaster is good... :cabot:

gently caress all marketing everywhere.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Also y'all getting real upset over some stupid poo poo, who cares if you can or can't sell modules back at full price, vast majority of games that's how things work and you do, in fact, still have storage.

This thread chicken littles everything; yes THIS is the change that's going to make the game an unfun grind :jerkbag:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Crow posted:

Also y'all getting real upset over some stupid poo poo, who cares if you can or can't sell modules back at full price, vast majority of games that's how things work and you do, in fact, still have storage.

This thread chicken littles everything; yes THIS is the change that's going to make the game an unfun grind :jerkbag:

This is true, nobody cares about the early gameplay loop and unless you own a PS4 odds are you already bought the game already if you wanted it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mr. Crow posted:

This thread chicken littles everything; yes THIS is the change that's going to make the game an unfun grind.

This is the change that increases the unfun grind and makes the grind even more unfun. So, yeah.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Mr. Crow posted:

Not getting full cost back on modules probably wouldn't be an issue if they'd make any effort at all to balance the price of stuff versus (non-exploit) earnings. Also, I don't think the sky is falling, it's just another reminder that they still haven't worked out which bits of the game are fun yet.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Inacio posted:

People complain that the Vive's resolution makes it hard to read poo poo in E:D.

Those people clearly never played on a DK1 ;)

Inacio posted:

The PS4's headset is much lower resolution than that. It's not gonna be good.

It's the same resolution as the DK2, and I spent many an hour playing in that with no issues.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mr. Crow posted:

That they still talk about module prices not being 1:1 on refunding is such a dumb stupid and small thing that adds nothing at all to the game means that they are always going to go down these roads of garbage grind. What is the excuse for the 50% refund thing anyway? What problem is it trying to solve?
"Oh boy I am switching out my modules on my ship instantly and without downtime but it costs exactly 50% less than what I paid! Realism! I am really enjoying this video game" - said nobody ever and nobody will ever say.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

KakerMix posted:

That they still talk about module prices not being 1:1 on refunding is such a dumb stupid and small thing that adds nothing at all to the game means that they are always going to go down these roads of garbage grind. What is the excuse for the 50% refund thing anyway? What problem is it trying to solve?
"Oh boy I am switching out my modules on my ship instantly and without downtime but it costs exactly 50% less than what I paid! Realism! I am really enjoying this video game" - said nobody ever and nobody will ever say.

That's just it. There is so much in the game that need work, why are they even thinking about re balancing this? Why is it so important that 'oh we must make sure that module re-sales aren't too easy on the player!!!' when half the game is abandoned or crippled by grind?

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

Not getting full cost back on modules probably wouldn't be an issue if they'd make any effort at all to balance the price of stuff versus (non-exploit) earnings. Also, I don't think the sky is falling, it's just another reminder that they still haven't worked out which bits of the game are fun yet.

They definitely haven't figured out that the "sandbox" aspect is fun. The idea that modifying your ship and exchanging modules to goof around might be intesting is discarded.

It is fun to take missions that pay crap, change parameters and reward you with <1% REP (and commodities that have you intercepted every 5 ly).

Also, waiting 50min for a ship with which you might have fun to arrive is extra-fun. Paying 6millions is even better.

Einbauschrank fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 8, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Pilchenstein posted:

This is the big sticking point I have, and I've brought it up before. A single module in this game can cost many times more than the most expensive ship (the Panther Clipper, at 2.7mil, and I think the Griffin was in that price range too) you could buy in Frontier: First Encounters. It's ridiculous.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 9, 2016

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Mr. Crow posted:

I mean, they did kill it for me. I loved this game and as soon as the engineers bullshit came out I was done. I'm sure plenty of other people have quit. Frontier is taking an unfinished good game and making it into a finished bad game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

K8.0 posted:

I mean, they did kill it for me. I loved this game and as soon as the engineers bullshit came out I was done. I'm sure plenty of other people have quit. Frontier is taking an unfinished good game and making it into a finished bad game.

:confused: I know there was a lot of trouble with dumb poo poo like NPCs attacking you for worthless poo poo and dumb grinding with Engineering, but Frontier has dialed back on all of that a lot. And some things were just bugs.

Honestly, without the typical new-patch hiccups Engineers was great! I'd never have been able to take a slow, fat ship like the Imperial Cutter to the other side oft the galaxy otherwise. The ability to customize ships like that is awesome! It's also cumbersome, but welp. Nothing is perfect. :shrug:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Libluini posted:

:confused: I know there was a lot of trouble with dumb poo poo like NPCs attacking you for worthless poo poo and dumb grinding with Engineering, but Frontier has dialed back on all of that a lot. And some things were just bugs.

Afaik (aside from them removing commodities next patch) they haven't dialed back anything, and even commodity removal is a temporary thing. We've got lots of minor changes in between patches strictly to make the game more grindy. The idea of engineers is pretty cool but they've been implemented into a game that is continuously driven towards '84. I keep up on this thread because the game they could make is amazing but all the news is bad.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mailer posted:

Afaik (aside from them removing commodities next patch) they haven't dialed back anything, and even commodity removal is a temporary thing. We've got lots of minor changes in between patches strictly to make the game more grindy. The idea of engineers is pretty cool but they've been implemented into a game that is continuously driven towards '84. I keep up on this thread because the game they could make is amazing but all the news is bad.

You're remembering wrong then. Maybe do a bit of research before speaking. Engineers are much better than as implemented.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Engineers fundamentally makes the game less fun to me. The good part of the design of Elite was being able to swap around what you're doing without spending too much time or money on it. Tacking a bunch of bullshit on to make it harder to be optimal is the exact opposite of what was good about the game. It's not something that can be fixed by changing the numbers - not that they want to, as evidenced by the proposed module change, making combat less fun, and basically everything else they've done. Frontier's design goal has become to great the ultimate grind simulator, rather than to have a game where there's a lot of fun stuff to do, and you do it because it's enjoyable. There hasn't been any point in the past 6 months where I've looked at this thread or the patch notes and thought "that's a good change."

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

:chloe:

no one gives a poo poo

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I've journeyed from afar to bring news that I still enjoy loving inside of these space ships in the space ships video game.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

K8.0 posted:

Engineers fundamentally makes the game less fun to me. The good part of the design of Elite was being able to swap around what you're doing without spending too much time or money on it. Tacking a bunch of bullshit on to make it harder to be optimal is the exact opposite of what was good about the game. It's not something that can be fixed by changing the numbers - not that they want to, as evidenced by the proposed module change, making combat less fun, and basically everything else they've done. Frontier's design goal has become to great the ultimate grind simulator, rather than to have a game where there's a lot of fun stuff to do, and you do it because it's enjoyable. There hasn't been any point in the past 6 months where I've looked at this thread or the patch notes and thought "that's a good change."

He nods.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:chloe:

no one gives a poo poo

He screams in pain!

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Elite may be grindy af but it's still the best spaceship game were going to see for years to come because Star Citizen is never going to be an actual thing

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Have there been any improvements to this in the last three or so months with respect to VR? Last time I tried it with my Vive performance issues were a serious problem, text was hard to read and trying to work the galaxy map was a private hell.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Have there been any improvements to this in the last three or so months with respect to VR? Last time I tried it with my Vive performance issues were a serious problem, text was hard to read and trying to work the galaxy map was a private hell.

I also didn't really play it for this reason for the longest time (rift owner, tho). The galaxy map is better but you have to use the keyboard to select stuff sometimes, performance hasn't been an issue.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Here's a secret about engineers. If you're not doing serious PVP you don't need to engineer.

Also they cut back requirements and increased the amount of commodities you collect significantly.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Angrymog posted:

Here's a secret about engineers. If you're not doing serious PVP you don't need to engineer.
I disagree with you there, if you're not great at combat then you'll have a lovely time against NPCs who are dangerous or above, as they still have engineering mods. Also, it's just straight up fun to have a customised ship so while you might not need to engineer, it's still content you're missing.

Having said all that, it's way less grindy than it was and the only real barrier is the loving inventory tetris, which they're actually fixing. :toot:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

K8.0 posted:

Appreciate the reactor overload.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Pilchenstein posted:

I disagree with you there, if you're not great at combat then you'll have a lovely time against NPCs who are dangerous or above, as they still have engineering mods. Also, it's just straight up fun to have a customised ship so while you might not need to engineer, it's still content you're missing.

Having said all that, it's way less grindy than it was and the only real barrier is the loving inventory tetris, which they're actually fixing. :toot:

They only occasionally have a mod though, and even then they only get one of a small subset of available mods. Certainly nothing to worry about.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Considering that it seems making money and buying shiny new ships is seemingly the only way to really have fun beyond brief stints of combat, what is the most effective way of making money|? I admit that I used to do smuggling on Sothis, twice. I did it once during the 'gold rush' as it were and a second time when they worked to make smuggling a lot trickier. Nowadays though, as said, what is the best way to generate a lot of money?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

SkySteak posted:

Considering that it seems making money and buying shiny new ships is seemingly the only way to really have fun beyond brief stints of combat, what is the most effective way of making money|? I admit that I used to do smuggling on Sothis, twice. I did it once during the 'gold rush' as it were and a second time when they worked to make smuggling a lot trickier. Nowadays though, as said, what is the best way to generate a lot of money?

I don't think you can.

Just have to wait for the next buggy cash bonanza thing.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Pilchenstein posted:

Even outside combat there's just sheer quality-of-life updates hidden within engineers that you don't know you need until you get them. It took me a day of playing to get access to FSD 5 upgrades and it was probably the best amount of time I've spent doing something in the game.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

hakimashou posted:

I don't think you can.

Just have to wait for the next buggy cash bonanza thing.

Has this game really deteriorated to the point where you cannot make a decent amount of money anymore by hauling or other means?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SkySteak posted:

Has this game really deteriorated to the point where you cannot make a decent amount of money anymore by hauling or other means?

Beyond the point where you're dealing in sub-million credit ships and without wanting to kill yourself? No.
What you would consider “decent money” will scale with experience and will quickly go beyond what the game is willing to provide through normal means.

e: wtf

Tippis fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Community Goals remain a good way to get "decent" money.

Except the ones on the other side of the galaxy, those are only meant for miserable autists.

• Locked thread