Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Spermy Smurf posted:

Maybe he's just renting it.

Rent-to-own horses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It would be a goldmine if it wasn't likely they would die 2 months into their first owner not being able to feed or shelter it.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
I'm gonna get a horse just to show you guys how baller I am.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

potatoducks posted:

I'm gonna get a horse just to show you guys how baller I am.

I thought the baller animal of choice was a tiger.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Not in this thread. Everyone has a hardon for horses.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

potatoducks posted:

Not in this thread. Everyone has a hardon for horses.

Equus

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
Some loving absolute criminal masterminds (or great bullshit artists) on r/legaladvice sometimes:

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/5h7ip1/il_advice_needed_regarding_legality_of_debt/

Hey reddit. I need some help. Over the past 5 years I've amassed about 150k worth of credit card debt over 7 card. The short story of how i got this debt was i was young, dumb, in college, and didn't want to have to work as i felt it would hinder my college experience. Long story, I was receiving money from my parents at the time but it wasn't enough so i signed up for a credit card. After i maxed out my first card, i applied for a new one and used it to pay off the first one. I did this for most of my college life jumping from one card to another.

I graduated a year ago but my degree hasn't helped me find a steady job (more that 2 months.) And i had to move back in with my parents. When i moved I didn't inform any of the banks hopping they would simply forget about the debt and maxed out my last card and didn't tell anyone.

But yesterday while my parents where out (thank god) a police officer showed up at my parents house to serve me with papers. I told him i was my brother and that i wasn't home. I asked him what "my brother" had done and he said i was being sued by multiple banks and may be facing credit fraud. the officer said he would be back in 72 hours to serve me again and i'm really scared right now.

My parents cannot find out about this. They've been letting me live with them rent free and if they find out they will kick me out. This is where i need some advice. I believe that I was entrapped into this debt. And that these banks took advantage of me while i was in a desperate situation. How can I help the court system see that so that i can move on with my life?

olylifter fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 9, 2016

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

olylifter posted:

*DUMB DEBT GUY* :words:

Oh, I sometimes wish that I became a bankruptcy lawyer/law clerk, just so I could join in on pointing and laughing at people such as above when they try excuses like that in court.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

olylifter posted:

My parents cannot find out about this. They've been letting me live with them rent free and if they find out they will kick me out. This is where i need some advice. I believe that I was entrapped into this debt. And that these banks took advantage of me while i was in a desperate situation. How can I help the court system see that so that i can move on with my life?

"A desperate situation" = I wanted some beer and did not want to pay for it myself.

edit: Oh my God

Bad With Money: How is that fraud though

Dogfish fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 9, 2016

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I love that his parents were "only giving me 1.5k a month", on top of probably paying his tuition, and he still managed to rack up 150k in fraudulent debt on top of that.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

How is that fraud though, I only lied about my income, I didn't commit identity theft

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
How is that fraud though, even though I stated my intent publicly on the internet that I deliberately misled the credit card company about my income. Often in fraud cases the defendant is the most effective witness when they admit their intent to commit fraud.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Getting money through false pretences: definitely not fraud, just a normal thing normal people do.

My mind is also boggling at accumulating $150k in debt while also being subsidized by parents - so, about $220k gone over four years. This kid spent more annually on whatever than my two-and-a-half person household does. That's astounding.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Dogfish posted:

My mind is also boggling at accumulating $150k in debt while also being subsidized by parents - so, about $220k gone over four years. This kid spent more annually on whatever than my two-and-a-half person household does. That's astounding.

I suspect the answer would be depressing instead of living on a party boat, having daily cocaine gently caress parties with prostitutes and collecting gold plated handguns.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Well, it can't be party boats and cocaine gently caress parties, because that's where all my money goes and I don't spend nearly that much.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Dogfish posted:

Well, it can't be party boats and cocaine gently caress parties, because that's where all my money goes and I don't spend nearly that much.

Must be literally throwing the money away or burning it.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Dogfish posted:

"A desperate situation" = I wanted some beer and did not want to pay for it myself.

edit: Oh my God

Bad With Money: How is that fraud though
Haha check this out:
https://np.reddit.com/user/indebtinil

quote:

I neither of those and im kind of insulted that you would call me naive. It's not naive of me to want to be able to afford food while in college while also not risking my grades by getting a job. And it isn't crazy to think that i shouldn't have to pay these banks when i didn't even know what i was getting myself into

quote:

I do believe that I was entrapped into this debt. I was a young 19 year old kid and didn't know the full consequences of this. And the banks didn't tell me. So it's only fair that the debt becomes invalid

I kinda feel sorry for him because his uncle/cousin lead him to believe this was all ok above board BS. They're probably still feeding him crap. I'm glad I hated my family during this time and thought they were full of poo poo.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Btw he said on the applications that he was making $35k/yr working part time. Let this be a lesson to banks to start verifying income.

He mentions paying rent and for the car. I'm guessing he got some baller (for a college kid) apartment and had a car payment through school because he's an idiot without a clue.

What gets me is he racked up $150k so he wouldn't risk his precious grades but he evidently can't do math, doesn't have a lick of sense about business, and can't read cause he doesn't know the difference between where/were, and can't hold down a job more than a couple months, so what the gently caress was his degree in?

I bet he took a lot of trips, did spring break in a tropical place every year, and picked up a lot of bar tabs (also car body kits).

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
The bogus credit card application guy made a Reddit account specifically for that thread. It seems like a joke/troll post to me, although I certainly hope it's real.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Is lying to the cop about who he really is a crime too? Like obstruction or making a false statement or something like that? If it's real, I hope the same cop comes back to serve the summons.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Is lying to the cop about who he really is a crime too? Like obstruction or making a false statement or something like that? If it's real, I hope the same cop comes back to serve the summons.

Potentially contempt of court if he manages to piss off a judge but it probably doesn't really matter, on the second visit the cop is probably allowed to just leave the papers on the door or give them to anyone who answers the door and looks old enough.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
The numbers don't really make sense with the story. 150k is an insane amount of money spread over only 7 cards. What kind of credit limit does a 19 year old kid get, even if he is lying about a 35k/year job. No more than 5k I'm sure. And his credit score would wrecked if he wasn't making payments, so I'm not really sure how he get past credit card #3. Even if he had 10k limit per card, thats only 70k, throw in a few years of crazy interest and I still don't see that reaching 150k.

I'm guessing he lied about a lot more on his CC applications than he is letting on. Could be a fake story, but college kids racking up huge debts on credit cards was a big thing pre 2009.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Sorry to break up dumb idiot chat, but here is a $6 million truck with a built-in kitchen. I didn't know which half-assed, ad-filled blog post to use, so I settled on this one:

http://www.musclehorsepower.com/6-million-dollar-pickup-truck-the-most-luxurious-pickup-truck-ever-built/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dogfish posted:

Getting money through false pretences: definitely not fraud, just a normal thing normal people do.

That's $220K *untaxed*, also.

Jan 11, 2004

laxbro posted:

The numbers don't really make sense with the story. 150k is an insane amount of money spread over only 7 cards. What kind of credit limit does a 19 year old kid get, even if he is lying about a 35k/year job. No more than 5k I'm sure. And his credit score would wrecked if he wasn't making payments, so I'm not really sure how he get past credit card #3. Even if he had 10k limit per card, thats only 70k, throw in a few years of crazy interest and I still don't see that reaching 150k.

I'm guessing he lied about a lot more on his CC applications than he is letting on. Could be a fake story, but college kids racking up huge debts on credit cards was a big thing pre 2009.

Or it's just a dumb Reddit troll.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Troll or not, this was a good comment.

quote:

You know what's funny? I'm 19 and I just checked my back account this morning and saw that all I have is 16 bucks. I was pretty down in the dumps. But hey, I'm 156,016 dollars richer than you, so this ain't so bad.

edit:

quote:

Sorry to break up dumb idiot chat, but here is a $6 million truck with a built-in kitchen. I didn't know which half-assed, ad-filled blog post to use, so I settled on this one:

http://www.musclehorsepower.com/6-m...uck-ever-built/

Good god, that video that's meant to show it off just about gave me a seizure and 3/4 of the runtime is shots of the exterior. I want to see what's supposedly worth $6 million here!

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 9, 2016

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Moneyball posted:

http://www.musclehorsepower.com/6-million-dollar-pickup-truck-the-most-luxurious-pickup-truck-ever-built/

I thought you were talking about a semi, and I was like "okay that's a lot of money, but people basically live in those things and they use them for work soooo".

... but a pickup?!

Jan 11, 2004
I doubt it really actually cost $6MM in spent money rather than the typical nonsense accounting of work done on custom cars for sale (see: any track car ever listed on eBay) since it was an in-house pet project by a guy who owns a company that builds poo poo like that, but nonetheless it's pretty stupid. Like, what is the possible application of a hydraulic dump truck/camper van hybrid (seriously look at it) that is impractically large to drive around most roads? Maybe some kind of remote small scale oil rig work or something where you might need a heavy duty work vehicle to transport a lot of equipment but also sleeping quarters for a crew.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Devian666 posted:

I suspect the answer would be depressing instead of living on a party boat, having daily cocaine gently caress parties with prostitutes and collecting gold plated handguns.

It will probably turn out he managed to spend it all on microtransactions for some dumb FTP game.

Wasn't there a guy whose father basically burned up his retirement on addons for an airplane FTP game?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I have a friend that budgets several hundred dollars a month for FTP gaming.

edit: I should add she is otherwise pretty GWM

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Ashcans posted:

Wasn't there a guy whose father basically burned up his retirement on addons for an airplane FTP game?

Would love to see this post if you can find it, could go for some schadenfreude on a Friday morning

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

At least she's actually budgeting it ahead of time rather than frantically trying to figure out where the food money went

Also If you gotta have a dumb expensive addiction I guess F2P games are probably the least actually harmful

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I really don't understand this. There are many great games out there that are complete out of the box for $60. Why would you pay hundreds a month when you could pay $60 a month for a new, complete game every month? Or even less if you are GWM and buy last year's games on eBay. The full-price games tend to be higher quality, too. The $60 game has near-photorealistic environments and orchestral sound, where the FTP game has crude 2D cartoon cookies and a bleepy-bloopy soundtrack.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BarbarianElephant posted:

I really don't understand this. There are many great games out there that are complete out of the box for $60. Why would you pay hundreds a month when you could pay $60 a month for a new, complete game every month? Or even less if you are GWM and buy last year's games on eBay. The full-price games tend to be higher quality, too. The $60 game has near-photorealistic environments and orchestral sound, where the FTP game has crude 2D cartoon cookies and a bleepy-bloopy soundtrack.

People like different things, what a novel concept.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Barry posted:

People like different things, what a novel concept.

F2P style games are also available as complete games, like $2.99 for a complete match-3 game with no F2P elements. But people would prefer Candy Crush at $infinity per month than $2.99 upfront.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Not anymore! Thanks, Gaming Industry (tm)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Because the designers of F2P games invested tons of money to psychologically generate a perfectly addictive experience and modulate it exactly right. It's like saying "I don't understand why someone would be addicted to drugs when they can just get high on life like me!"

Jan 11, 2004

I agree except for the part where you expect a complete game at launch for $60. I can't remember the time I played a console game without at least $50 or whatever of DLC.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

overdesigned posted:

Not anymore! Thanks, Gaming Industry (tm)

Oh no a free update to a game to address things people didn't like.

I mean you could have posted the horse armor DLC for Oblivion. I had a coworker that actually bought that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

There is a couple hundred dollar buy in, minimum, for the experiences you're talking about. Mobile games are available, for free, on a device you are presumed to own, with purchaseable benefits in tiny chunks. The demographics and appeal are completely different.

• Locked thread