Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Rhyno posted:

Don't they find out that they can't us the tech then?

Yeah after Tuvok brings it over they install it and have to use it straight away because Janeway wants the ship to leave and the planet acts as a natural amplifier so it won't work if they leave orbit. It starts spitting out Bad Space Stuff which is loving up the ship and the contacts fuse to the computer so they have to destroy it with a phaser to stop the ship exploding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Pwnstar posted:

It changes as the show goes on though. The reason why Brunt hates Quark so much is that in the eyes of the Ferengi, Quark is a philanthropist which to them is despicable.

Usually, Quark is the one that holds to traditional values while the Negus and his mother are trying to introduce more progressive ideas. But you are right that there are some episodes where Quark is accused of going soft on his employees.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The reason who watches the watchers is bad is because everyone unrealistically agrees with Picard's patronizing (you could argue paternalistic) argument that it's better for the aliens to discover things by themselves. Nobody points out that they just condemned millions of people over generations to suffer and die from preventable ailments because of ideology. The main dude's wife died in a flood and they can't even teach them how to build a dike because someone might use it to do something bad somehow.

The fact that the federation is perfectly happy to sit around spying on the suffering people for academic purposes just makes the whole thing even worse.

I'd love to see a sci-fi show that specifically rejects a lot of star trek trappings and it's about a society with various transhuman technologies that makes it their mission to go around do humanitarian stuff for less technologically advanced cultures

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Where do you draw the line? How far along to we bring their society? Agrarian? Industrial? Warp capable? Once we've decided how far they can go with our help, how do we deal with them constantly asking us for better technology? What do you do when you beam down and start "improving" their world and then they end up resenting you for destroying their world with your evil technology? Especially when we have Insurrection where they think they are studying some primitive race and it turns out they can make any technology they want, they just choose not to.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Those are all really complex issues but the episode in question is bad because nobody on the planet expresses a dissenting opinion after Picard says his bit. Everyone just agrees that it will be more fulfilling to watch their children die from a fever than ask the spacemen to help. I think it would have been a great episode if at least some of the aliens were left with real anger at the federation and if the episode ended with the crew stewing over the consequences of their actions and having feelings of doubt and guilt.

Personally I think the ethical issues of inaction are equal to the ethical issues of action, at least as star trek posits them. The fact that they often veer into a near-religious natural progression/destiny argument with the prime directive makes the argument for it weaker.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

dont even fink about it posted:

The core problem is that Roddenberry's utopia free of interpersonal conflict is unrelatable and more importantly insanely boring.

Yeah, but Trek's almost never actually like this because the writers generally knew how stupid this was and worked around it where they could. Star Trek's society as depicted isn't free from interpersonal conflict at all, or even free from trivial office politics and workplace drama.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

cenotaph posted:

The reason who watches the watchers is bad is because everyone unrealistically agrees with Picard's patronizing (you could argue paternalistic) argument that it's better for the aliens to discover things by themselves. Nobody points out that they just condemned millions of people over generations to suffer and die from preventable ailments because of ideology. The main dude's wife died in a flood and they can't even teach them how to build a dike because someone might use it to do something bad somehow.

The fact that the federation is perfectly happy to sit around spying on the suffering people for academic purposes just makes the whole thing even worse.

I'd love to see a sci-fi show that specifically rejects a lot of star trek trappings and it's about a society with various transhuman technologies that makes it their mission to go around do humanitarian stuff for less technologically advanced cultures

This here novel has a Federation-esque Humanity that does that kind of stuff. Well, they're sort of a Federation moving gradually moving towards the Culture.

Full disclosure: I wrote that novel.

I've always felt the Federation has an interesting idea with the PD, but the show/setting doesn't really sell the whole thing very well, most of the time. 'Interfering with natural development' is taken as-read to be a terrible thing, and it's mostly assumed viewers will treat it as analogous to IRL colonialism and suchlike. Which is fair enough on the surface, but the Federation is explicitly really good, and has little enough reason to even want to exploit shitheads who haven't developed FTL yet anyway. So the Prime Directive is treated as an absolutely, when really it should have a clause about extenuating circumstances in the culture or something. A planet that is suffering from a massive plague might have it's future 'changed' if Bashir beams down and cures it, but... what does that actually mean? It only makes sense if you assume that there's a predestined course, but that this course can somehow be interfered with. (e; just as you said in a later post, Cenotaph :v:) Saving a billion lives will change that planet's future, sure, but I don't think many people on the planet would call it a poor trade.

They really needed more examples of the early Federation trying to intervene and loving it up. A tribe that develops a sigil that looks like the Enterprise is not a culture that has been catastrophically or irrevocably damaged.

e2; I generally take the attitude that day-to-day life in the Federation is incredible, but as with the Culture novels focusing on the small segment of society that deals with Special Circumstances, so does the Trek canon look at the people who are for one reason or another on the fringes and thus testing the society's basis regularly. There's no contradiction here, we're not watching a show about someone in San Fransisco.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 9, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brick Card posted:

Ha, just dug this out of an old hard drive from ages ago. It may even have been for this thread. If I recall correctly, I put a lot of thought into it.

You put Dukat exactly 180 degrees from where he should be.

This is a Bad Chart and you are a Bad Person.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I like how Damar is more good than Riker and Pulaski is more evil than Weyoun.

edit- also how the guy who wanted to rule one world government is the most chaotic motherfucker to ever live

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Adequate posted:

I've always felt the Federation has an interesting idea with the PD, but the show/setting doesn't really sell the whole thing very well, most of the time. 'Interfering with natural development' is taken as-read to be a terrible thing, and it's mostly assumed viewers will treat it as analogous to IRL colonialism and suchlike. Which is fair enough on the surface, but the Federation is explicitly really good, and has little enough reason to even want to exploit shitheads who haven't developed FTL yet anyway. So the Prime Directive is treated as an absolutely, when really it should have a clause about extenuating circumstances in the culture or something. A planet that is suffering from a massive plague might have it's future 'changed' if Bashir beams down and cures it, but... what does that actually mean? It only makes sense if you assume that there's a predestined course, but that this course can somehow be interfered with. (e; just as you said in a later post, Cenotaph :v:) Saving a billion lives will change that planet's future, sure, but I don't think many people on the planet would call it a poor trade.

They really needed more examples of the early Federation trying to intervene and loving it up. A tribe that develops a sigil that looks like the Enterprise is not a culture that has been catastrophically or irrevocably damaged.
Yes, or alternatively if it went more in the direction of The Culture, accomplishing its goals but loving up a ton of poo poo in the process, and that these things are linked even though the ones-doing-the-loving-up don't like to talk about eggs needing to be broken to make an omelette. I remember a historian, I think it was Tony Judt, talking about the European social welfare and health systems, which have much better outcomes than the neglect in the United States. But he pointed out that those systems came about as a way to rebuild the shattered social fabric from World War II, whole populations carted off to death camps, cities bombed to rubble, etc. So you could have these nice things but be wary of removing the historical context from which the things you want arose. Hey ... didn't the Federation develop after the Post-Atomic Horror?

But then you could also try to play with that idea some more by having the Federation's inherent goodness become undermined by that various colonialist-and-suchlike process. If the Federation became an imperialist, colonialist power it would become corrupted and cease to be the Federation. Which goes to the idea that the relatively benign hypocrisy of a non-interventionist Federation is preferable to the hypocrisies of an interventionist one. So if the Federation starts giving tech to a backwards planet, and then that planet's version of ISIS decides to build a genesis device, then there's a problem. Then you get Federation imperialism to keep the backwards people from loving it up.

Or something.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 9, 2016

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Paradoxish posted:

I like how Damar is more good than Riker and Pulaski is more evil than Weyoun.

edit- also how the guy who wanted to rule one world government is the most chaotic motherfucker to ever live

That chart is fantastic, in that there's simply no way that was created without the aid of narcotics...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nessus posted:

I imagine Brooks wanted to err extremely strongly on the side of not reinforcing stereotypes about black fathers, even in jest.
One of the post-DS9 novels got a lot of flak (I think rightly) because a few years after they bring Sisko back, at a certain point he accepts that the only way to stop a Bajoran prophecy from happening (which he reads as basically 'The family of the Emissary will suffer if he stays with them') is to stay away from his wife and young daughter. Needless to say a lot of people were not thrilled about this and they had to fix that in a later book. He's back to being the captain of a Galaxy-class starship which is exploring the Gamma Quadrant with his family onboard

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Garak, the person who felt really patriotic about the old authoritarian, ordered Cardassia, is the most chaotic person in Trek next to Khan, the guy who tried to rule Earth.

A good chart.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I like the implication that Kirk is just one burnt tomato plant away from becoming Eddington.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Taking everyone's feedback into account, I have fixed the chart.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

You didn't fix it, Morn still isn't on it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

You didn't fix it, Morn still isn't on it.

Morn is the chart.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not seeing Landerig either

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I can't get over Evil Jake Sisko

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think I screwed up somewhere

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Tunicate posted:

Taking everyone's feedback into account, I have fixed the chart.

There is only one law. Picard's Law. And you best follow it.

...at least the creepy stalker LaForge is properly labeled evil.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Dukat's whole character arc is his fall from Lawful Evil bordering on Lawful Neutral to full on Chaotic Evil.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, the crystalline entity is blue

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dukat is the real hero because otherwise there wouldn't be any DS9 episodes for us to watch without him

He committed genocide in our name.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Mister Adequate posted:

This here novel has a Federation-esque Humanity that does that kind of stuff. Well, they're sort of a Federation moving gradually moving towards the Culture.

Full disclosure: I wrote that novel.

e2; I generally take the attitude that day-to-day life in the Federation is incredible, but as with the Culture novels focusing on the small segment of society that deals with Special Circumstances, so does the Trek canon look at the people who are for one reason or another on the fringes and thus testing the society's basis regularly. There's no contradiction here, we're not watching a show about someone in San Fransisco.

If they're going to use the Prime Directive as much as they do, I wouldn't mind a story of some Starfleet doctor curing a plague and then a few years later some local gets made leader on the promise that people are dying of illness again because they angered the space doctors by straying from their conservative path and he'll bring the doctors back by killing the gays and forcing women back into the kitchen. By the time Starfleet can check on them again, dickhead is still making promises to keep himself in charge and people are plowing women in burkas through a hole in a sheet or whatever.

I've heard this kinda sorta happened with cargo cults when they weren't making fake airbases.

...and then someone from the U.S.S. gently caress poo poo Up beams down and vaporizes President Dickhead and a few years later they find the planet has a space-AIDS epidemic and people are starving because everyone has been in a constant orgy so as not to be smited by the space doctors.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Oh, it's a self-sealing stem bolt!

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The Culture is cool, they totally gently caress with less advanced civilisations all they want and its ok because it almost never ever goes wrong we promise.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pwnstar posted:

The Culture is cool, they totally gently caress with less advanced civilisations all they want and its ok because it almost never ever goes wrong we promise.

They've done the maths, you see.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

OAquinas posted:

When it comes to nebulae, I actually have less of a problem with the 2D maps--many of them have similar aspects in all three dimensions, so if you're saying "no" to it then up, down, left, right--doesn't matter. One direction may be more optimal than others but they're all probably in the same ballpark. That goddamn "romulan blockade" episode was just enormously stupid though.

Yeah, that part's fine. The problem I have with those episodes is how they didn't notice the nebula coming from light years away and didn't change their course a couple of degrees to avoid it completely.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Where does Lefler go on the chart? She's the one who's all about laws, of course, but OTOH she banged Wesley, which is chaotic af.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Lon Suder: neutral good?

I guess Spock has darkvision 60ft, given he's a half-elf.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

Seems to be a fairly accurate cross-section of the USS Hyperriker.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Alright, you nerds. listen up:

Kirk: CG
Spock: LG
Bones: NG
Sulu: LG
Uhura: NG
Scotty: LG
Chekov: TN

Picard: LG
Riker: NG
Data: LG
LaForge: TN
Troi: LG
Worf: LN
B. Crusher: NG
W. Crusher: CN
Guinan: TN
Yar: CG
Ro: CG

B Sisko: NG
J Sisko: CG
Kira: CG
Odo: LN
J Dax: CG
E Dax: NG
Bashir: TN
O'Brien: LG
Garak: CG
Quark: TN
Rom: NG
Nog: NG

Janeway: TN
Chakotay: CN
Tuvok: LN
Torres: CG
Paris: CN
Kim: LG
The Doctor: NG
Seven: LN
Neelix: CN
Kes: CG

I'm not going to do the villains because most of them are E by intent or by action, and L and C are fairly obvious with them. The problem with putting D&D alignments on a chart like that is that it makes an already goofy system even goofier by suddenly applying comparisons and degrees to everyone, like characters act that consistently. It's hard enough to put them into alignments, but it's even harder (and basically impossible) to split that hair even further and apply degrees.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

OK Conspiracy.

Uh, how exactly did these brain bugs take over Starfleet? Obvious neck-thing aside, they were total loving weirdos who were worse at blending than Invader Zim.

This isn't like those disembodied prisoners who took over Troi, Data (?!), and O'Brien. They at least were able to use their hosts' knowledge of how to act to lay low and be normal until they could execute their plan. Yeah Data's guy was dumb and jumped the gun, but until he started disobeying orders no one had any idea something was wrong.

But these bug dudes, the second they take someone over suddenly your friend Dave is making awkward speeches about how bugs are a superior form of life and inviting you over for dinner to split a case of worms.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

VitalSigns posted:

OK Conspiracy.

Uh, how exactly did these brain bugs take over Starfleet? Obvious neck-thing aside, they were total loving weirdos who were worse at blending than Invader Zim.

This isn't like those disembodied prisoners who took over Troi, Data (?!), and O'Brien. They at least were able to use their hosts' knowledge of how to act to lay low and be normal until they could execute their plan. Yeah Data's guy was dumb and jumped the gun, but until he started disobeying orders no one had any idea something was wrong.

But these bug dudes, the second they take someone over suddenly your friend Dave is making awkward speeches about how bugs are a superior form of life and inviting you over for dinner to split a case of worms.

I don't know what you mean, human citizen. Perhaps we can discuss this further over a nice... grilled... styrofoam sandwich?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Lon Suder: neutral good?

He's a green-blooded hobgoblin :colbert:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Rhyno posted:

That's not how you draw dignity.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

VitalSigns posted:

OK Conspiracy.

The bug-folk had to be awkward enough for the dumbass tv audiences of 1988 to not get confused. I'm pretty sure that the most clever thing done on tv at that point was color.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Half-elves only get low-light vision, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

cenotaph posted:

Everyone needs to read The Use of Weapons I think