Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

fr0id posted:

MUTANT: Year Zero, which is based on a Swedish game and is totally fantastic. Imagine a cross between dungeon world, exploring a grid map one square at a time while rationing supplies, and players all managing a settlement and its politics together. It's really really cool.

Anyway, if people want a recommendation, buy MUTANT Year Zero. It's super cool and does an amazing job of having the mechanics themselves be emblematic of the theme of decay.

Is the Starter book all I'd need to start a campaign and DM it from there?

Edit: looks like the Starter Booklet is £15 from their site... or free on DriveThru. Um...

hexa fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Nov 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

glitchkrieg posted:

Is the Starter book all I'd need to start a campaign and DM it from there?

Edit: looks like the Starter Booklet is £15 from their site... or free on DriveThru. Um...

I've actually not read the starter booklet. I think it's got enough for you to get going for a while, though. I see the PDF of the booklet as being free on their site. The £15 one is for the print version. I do actually have the booklet (just haven't read it) and it's a good quality paperback.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Fainting Goat Games and several other table-top publishers got together for a charity bundle for the Southern Poverty Law Center, an organization which combats bigotry and discrimination.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

The bundle is $25, although all the items say "bundle price: $0". If they're trying to say that all proceeds go to the charity, that's a confusing way to put it.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

mike12345 posted:

The bundle is $25, although all the items say "bundle price: $0". If they're trying to say that all proceeds go to the charity, that's a confusing way to put it.

You appear to have missed the actual donation-as-line-item:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

ok, the listing is alphabetical, and it's non-distinct from the other items. but whatever it's a good cause, good stuff.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

For anyone wondering, it contains:

100 Sci-Fi Adventure Seeds
Accursed
AZ: After Zombies
BASH! Ultimate Edition
Battles Before Time
Broken Earth (Savage Worlds)
Cartomancy 17: Tartarus
Champions Complete
Chronicle 00: Book 1
Cold Steel Wardens: Roleplaying in the Iron Age of Comics
Glimpse the Beyond
Hero Happy Hour: Barroom Buddies & Bad Guys
Hero High, Revised Edition
ICONS: Against the Axis
ICONS: The Brothers of Thunder
Judgment Day (Savage Worlds) - 2nd Edition
Kaiser's Gate
Prowlers & Paragons Core Rules
Ruins Of Atlanta
Steamscapes: North America
Super Powered Bestiary
Superior Synergy Fantasy PFRPG Edition
The A.D.E.L. File
The Grand Melee
The Kerberos Club (Savage Worlds Edition)
The Manual of Mutants & Monsters: Cthulhu & Co. for ICONS
Trinity Rulebook
vs. Ghosts
War of the Dead: Chapter 1 map pack
WatchGuard #0 (Standard Edition)
Xandoria Galaxies G-Core Edition
Your World No Longer: Zombies & Primer
Zenith Comics Presents: Heroic - First Issue

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

This is sort of a TG deal/steal: Neverwinter Nights is free on GOG right now.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

A former Leading Edge Games employee came onto the Phoenix Command unofficial mailing list yesterday and said that he'd talked to Barry Nakazono (the owner of Leading Edge Games) and they were happily surprised at the still-existing Phoenix Command/Living Steel community. They're going to go through their remaining stock over the holidays and are willing to send it to fans at no cost except that of shipping.

He also claimed that Nakazono had given his permission to share LEG material on the mailing list, so Phoenix Command, Living Steel, Sword's Path: Glory, and Small Arms Spectrum just kind of went free-to-play...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

LatwPIAT posted:

He also claimed that Nakazono had given his permission to share LEG material on the mailing list, so Phoenix Command, Living Steel, Sword's Path: Glory, and Small Arms Spectrum just kind of went free-to-play...
Count me in as someone really excited by this news!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

People still use mailing lists???

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'm on a listserv for Powers & Perils. It was kind of surreal when they discovered my Fatal & Friends review of the game.

They're pretty ancient group communication technology, so you'll see them for groggy^H^H^H^H^Holdschool games.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

LatwPIAT posted:

A former Leading Edge Games employee came onto the Phoenix Command unofficial mailing list yesterday and said that he'd talked to Barry Nakazono (the owner of Leading Edge Games) and they were happily surprised at the still-existing Phoenix Command/Living Steel community. They're going to go through their remaining stock over the holidays and are willing to send it to fans at no cost except that of shipping.

What where how? I need Living Steel! Where is this list?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

What where how? I need Living Steel! Where is this list?

Here you go!

dwarf74 posted:

They're pretty ancient group communication technology, so you'll see them for groggy^H^H^H^H^Holdschool games.

Like the latest release of Delta Green, so groggy and old-school with its abstract mechanics, lack of writeups for every single military firearm mass-produced after 1891, and mechanical prompts for running scenes of character's domestic lives deteriorating.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
In my experience what you mostly see mailing lists for are completely freeform PBEM games where everyone's playing the part of characters from the soap opera of their choice, most of whom would look at you like you'd grown a second head if you suggested a rule system.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Evil Hat is doing 20% off everything on their webstore with code GOODBYE2016.

Stuff you might want to get even if you're not into Fate are the Designers & Dragons books, which are $20 each and all come with digital versions.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The newest bundle of holding is up and it's for the Malifaux Tie-in RPG, Through the Breach; 15 bucks gets you the two core rulebooks and four adventures, paying above the average gets you the first two world books (Into the Steam, which is about the North and includes rules for playing robot PCs) and Under Quarantine (The Quarantine Zone, expanded stuff for Resurrectionists, and undead PCs) and a fifth adventure, A Night in Rottenburg

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
Is that a thing I should want?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Mr. Tambo posted:

Is that a thing I should want?

It seemed popular enough when Mors Rattus reviewed it in F&F, anyway, and there's an entire thread for the minis game here, so there's probably interest.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
Sorry, I wasn't actually being snarky, I was just wondering if this game is cool. I'll go hunt down the F&F. Do you recall what month/year that was?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Mr. Tambo posted:

Sorry, I wasn't actually being snarky, I was just wondering if this game is cool. I'll go hunt down the F&F. Do you recall what month/year that was?

Here you go.

If you want to read it in the thread proper, it links directly to the post.

Inkless Pen keeps a Fatal and Friends Archive. It's a bit behind the thread, since the process isn't automatic, and requires a certain amount of work on IP's part.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Mr. Tambo posted:

http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/mors-rattus/through-the-breach-the-fated-almanac/

http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/mors-rattus/through-the-breach-the-fatemasters-almanac/

http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/mors-rattus/through-the-breach-into-the-steam/

It's got an interesting chararcter creation system; you do a tarot spread, which not only sets your stats and skills, but also sets up a sort of in-game 'fate' for your character and working towards that or defying it is a character milestone for advancement.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Epimas is happening again, with a bunch of $30 bundles of various indie games.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm biased, but TTB is one of my favorite RPG systems. Its not perfect, but its entirely diceless and has a fantastic setting. Instead of comparing it to Deadlands, I'll sell it as: the Not-East-India-Company punched through to literally the realm of Faerie and controls a colony that is basically stripmining magic to feed their economic stranglehold on Earth. Union Miners vs Corrupt Bosses vs Death Itself vs the original inhabitants who aren't too happy about all these humans invading their land of nightmares and illusions.

Character creation is pretty entertaining as well, using cards to create a tarot reading and a prophecy for your character. Character advancement depends on fulfilling or denying the elements of the prophecy and interpreting the cryptic passages alongside your GM.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Drivethru has a sale on Werewolf games.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I picked up Through the Breach and it seems really neat. However, it's definitely one of those games it seems like almost no one has heard of, so my chances of playing it are pretty slim.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Free and seasonal

http://diegeticgames.com/maccabees-and-menorahs/

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
From now until New Year's, all of my products are 50% off on Drive-Thru RPG and RPGNow.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I now own every Quasar Knight product. Happy Holidays, Libertad! !

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hydra Cooperative is having a sale on all their stuff on DriveThru. 40% off PDF, 30% off print. All their stuff is highly regarded, but the only one I'm really familiar with is Strange Stars, which I love.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Slumbering Ursine Dunes (pointcrawl minisetting with a very Slavic theme), Strange Stars (a retro/transhuman sci-fi setting), Weird Tales (D&D meets 30's pulp) and its "player's guide" Strange Trails, Owl Hoot Trail (D&D meets westerns), Fever-Dreaming Marlinko (weird fantasy city setting/adventure).

I own Strange Stars, and it's amazing. It manages to be a complete, inspirational, gameable sci-fi setting that mixes a 70's feel with modern sci-fi in only 32 pages. It's rules-agnostic, but it has a Fate Core expansion and a OSR rulebook coming out soon-ish.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hydra Cooperative is having a sale on all their stuff on DriveThru. 40% off PDF, 30% off print. All their stuff is highly regarded, but the only one I'm really familiar with is Strange Stars, which I love.
Is it worth getting physical, especially when the books are so short?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Is it worth getting physical, especially when the books are so short?
Well, I own the physical copies of Strange Stars and the Fate book and they're good quality, but I still tend to prefer physical if I can get it (and I don't want to risk printing it at work).

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, I own the physical copies of Strange Stars and the Fate book and they're good quality, but I still tend to prefer physical if I can get it (and I don't want to risk printing it at work).

Just put a cover letter of coupons on it. People will just think you're an idiot who installs coupon toolbars at work instead of a nerd.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Evil Mastermind posted:

The trick is to rename it to something that sounds businessy, then print it. Bonus points if you have a locked printer so it doesn't print until you go and log in to the machine.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Angrymog posted:

The trick is to rename it to something that sounds businessy, then print it. Bonus points if you have a locked printer so it doesn't print until you go and log in to the machine.

Depending on your job/commute you can stay back late or go in on the weekend as well. (The rename it proposal v0.2 and print)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Double posting this in terrain and steals & deals for minis people.

https://www.deathraydesigns.com is doing a pretty big year-end sale. They are a laser etching/cutting outfit that does mdf terrain but also they are my favorite source of minis base inserts. They just cut into thin sheets of acrylic and you pop out the insert and place them on the base. Easy as pie and INCREDIBLY cost-effective, and they have minimal z-axis variation which makes them very easy to actually put minis on.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
30% off items in Modiphius's catalogue.

Includes:
- Achtung! Cthulhu
- Mutant Year Zero (Very good)
- Mindjammer
- Mutant Chronicles
- Fiction

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/4329/Modiphiushttp://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/4329/Modiphius

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
A!C and Mutant Chronicles 3rd are also fantastic.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

DTRPG's running a GM's Day sale, looks like about 30% off a boatload of stuff. http://www.drivethrurpg.com/rpg_gmsday.php?&filters=0_0_0_0_0_31817

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Ratpick's review of An Echo Resounding: A Sourcebook for Lordship and War convinced me to pick it up. It's 30% this GM's sale at Drivethrough.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803702&pagenumber=21&perpage=40#post468545296

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/99063/An-Echo-Resounding-A-Sourcebook-for-Lordship-and-War