Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

AMOLED screens won't use power to display black so I guess it could save you a small amount of battery but my best guess is that it would be less than a percent each day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looks like Samsung is finally going to brick remaining Note 7 devices.

Samsung may finally be disabling the Note 7 for good http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-may-finally-be-disabling-note-7-good

It will basically get an update that prevents it from charging at all. So, once it dies the final time, that's it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Looks like Samsung is finally going to brick remaining Note 7 devices.

Samsung may finally be disabling the Note 7 for good http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-may-finally-be-disabling-note-7-good

It will basically get an update that prevents it from charging at all. So, once it dies the final time, that's it.

This will likely come in the form of a software update, so idiots will just refuse to install it.

Seriously, who is keeping their bombphone 7?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

RZA Encryption posted:

This will likely come in the form of a software update, so idiots will just refuse to install it.

Seriously, who is keeping their bombphone 7?

ISIS

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

docbeard posted:

I actually want wires to remain a thing, because otherwise people might not notice I have my earbuds in on the bus and try to talk to me.

This is a real problem.

No, I'm not being sarcastic, people don't notice my wireless headphones.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

This is a real problem.

No, I'm not being sarcastic, people don't notice my wireless headphones.

Tape on some fake wires! :haw:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Get tone pros

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

I'm talking the HBS-850 here, it's terrible :negative:

Not the headphones, I quite like them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm pretty sure Samsung can override choice in a system update.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

I'm pretty sure Samsung can override choice in a system update.

Pretty sure forcing changes in software on a user's hardware without their consent isn't legal. Just about every auto-update requires you to accept terms/set it up. It's why Sony and Nintendo can't just force an update on PS4s and 3DSes to remove hacks. They have to block access to their internet services in order to entice you to move forward.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

Pretty sure forcing changes in software on a user's hardware without their consent isn't legal. Just about every auto-update requires you to accept terms/set it up. It's why Sony and Nintendo can't just force an update on PS4s and 3DSes to remove hacks. They have to block access to their internet services in order to entice you to move forward.

This is alternate universe freeman-on-the-land level of wrong.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I like wired headphones because I work at a job where I listen to six hours of podcasts a day and cheap BT earbuds would get me 1/6-1/3 through the day.

I also bought a Moto Z and get frustrated I can't charge while I listen but plan on grabbing the Incipio battery back so nbd.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Not only are you wrong and they can definitely do this, they already have - the limit-to-60%-battery-life update was forced and users could not refuse/decline/delay it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

This is alternate universe freeman-on-the-land level of wrong.

Yeah otherwise poo poo like the hardware blacklist wouldn't have ever gotten off the ground. Companies almost certainly reserve the right to update your hardware whenever they drat well please, or at the very least for public safety/security, which exploding phones certainly runs into.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not only are you wrong and they can definitely do this, they already have - the limit-to-60%-battery-life update was forced and users could not refuse/decline/delay it.

Mine was not force-updated to the 60% firmware. I just rejected all updates :shrug:

Not even Windows 10 has made me experience a forced update.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Mine was not force-updated to the 60% firmware. I just rejected all updates :shrug:

Not even Windows 10 has made me experience a forced update.

Are you still using your Note 7

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
No, I turned it in when my Pixel I've been raving about in here arrived. Around early-mid November.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Why are you pretty sure? What evidence do you have that this is enforced by loving international law?!

Oh, you have no clue what you're talking about and should stop posting. k.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Why are you pretty sure? What evidence do you have that this is enforced by loving international law?!

Oh, you have no clue what you're talking about and should stop posting. k.

None of my devices have been forcibly auto-updated. Every gaming system does not include this functionality, despite the presence of piracy via hacking. I honestly cannot think of a single device I own that does forced auto-updates that did not include an explicit agreement before use that such updates might happen. And I was imagining federal law or regulation in the USA, not some magical international law from a non-existent global governing body.

Did you bother reading anything?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Windows 10 literally installed itself on people's computers

Do you go outside? Do you talk to people in the real world?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Die Sexmonster! posted:

drat, you got me. I'm sustained entirely in a matrix-like incubator, trapped on Something Awful.

It is a horrible fate, leave while you can.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
So I'm on my second Pixel and thought that I could look past the loose volume buttons, but I simply can't. This thing is way too expensive to not expect a perfect hardware experience. Will exchange for a second time and if the third one has the same problem I'm either getting an iPhone 7 or a cheaper Android phone where my expectations aren't as high.

Everything else on this thing is so very perfect, but that one fact sticks out like a sore thumb to me. I just want hard, clicky buttons. They nailed it with the power button so why not with the volume ones? :(

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Die Sexmonster! posted:

And auto installs updates and forcibly reboots my computer every so often, despite me trying several workarounds that haven't worked. It's funny how wrong the guy is, haha.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

AlexF posted:

So I'm on my second Pixel and thought that I could look past the loose volume buttons, but I simply can't. This thing is way too expensive to not expect a perfect hardware experience. Will exchange for a second time and if the third one has the same problem I'm either getting an iPhone 7 or a cheaper Android phone where my expectations aren't as high.

Everything else on this thing is so very perfect, but that one fact sticks out like a sore thumb to me. I just want hard, clicky buttons. They nailed it with the power button so why not with the volume ones? :(

Of all the reasons I have seen people dislike a phone...

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

All the buttons on my 3t are clicky

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

Of all the reasons I have seen people dislike a phone...

Use software volume controls. Fixed :newlol:

But yeah. :spergin: reason. Sounds like he's fishing for a reason to not like it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

mushy buttons is a valid complaint, esp if you're spending 6-800 dollars

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

My XL buttons are clicky as gently caress, sorry about your bad luck

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Duggler posted:

My XL buttons are clicky as gently caress, sorry about your bad luck

Same, they're like once of those noisy keyboards.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Looks like Microsoft is working with Qualcomm to emulate x86 on Arm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_GlGglbu1U

If they get x86-64 working properly (currently just x86), this would be fantastic.
If they brought the same tech to Windows Mobile and it worked well (well being the operative word there), I could see WM being relevant again.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

None of my devices have been forcibly auto-updated. Every gaming system does not include this functionality, despite the presence of piracy via hacking. I honestly cannot think of a single device I own that does forced auto-updates that did not include an explicit agreement before use that such updates might happen. And I was imagining federal law or regulation in the USA, not some magical international law from a non-existent global governing body.

Counterpoint, it's generally a bad idea to force update because people will get annoyed and pull power on their console.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Please cite this law because lol if you think the US has that kind of consumer protection.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ratbert90 posted:

If they get x86-64 working properly (currently just x86), this would be fantastic.
If they brought the same tech to Windows Mobile and it worked well (well being the operative word there), I could see WM being relevant again.

It would really do nothing for Windows Mobile. If it's one thing people really want to do is run Win32 apps with poor DPI scaling on a 5" screen.

It might help them in the tablet space, might. I see it as more of a move to allow OEMs to use the same mainboard on their Android tablets as windows tablets to help drive down costs.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bull3964 posted:

It would really do nothing for Windows Mobile. If it's one thing people really want to do is run Win32 apps with poor DPI scaling on a 5" screen.

The idea would be to let you dock your phone into becoming a tablet or laptop or desktop. Continuum, but with full-on Windows instead of the limited experience.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

bull3964 posted:

It might help them in the tablet space, might. I see it as more of a move to allow OEMs to use the same mainboard on their Android tablets as windows tablets to help drive down costs.

MikeJF posted:

The idea would be to let you dock your phone into becoming a tablet or laptop or desktop. Continuum, but with full-on Windows instead of the limited experience.

This. You plug your phone into a dock and you get full windows, you unplug it from the dock you get windows Mobile. Having the ability to run actual honest to goodness win32 apps would be pretty cool.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I guess Windows users are used to slow, crappy hardware, so using an emulated system on your phone wouldn't be a big change.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

I guess Windows users are used to slow, crappy hardware, so using an emulated system on your phone wouldn't be a big change.

Get a load of this guy

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Endless Mike posted:

Winblow$$$sss am I right guys?

guys?

:eng99:

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

hotsauce posted:

Use software volume controls. Fixed :newlol:

But yeah. :spergin: reason. Sounds like he's fishing for a reason to not like it.

Yeah, I'm really OCD about my expensive gadgets and I'm not really happy with it. I'd love to change this, but it's buried so deep into my brain that I can't turn it off :(

I love this phone and I really hate myself that I can't overlook this one. The volume rocker on my GFs two year old Moto X is supernice, the buttons on my $200 Nextbit Robin were clicky as hell, yet Google can't seem to QC their iPhone flagship killer (which it absolutely is IMO) so well that these things aren't loose or don't rattle.

Here's the thing: When I'm typing (I'm typing in portrait mode) my right index finger rests upon the volume button which then moves and makes a sound everytime it hits the phones body. Which it does constantly because my hands are moving. So I'm typing and hear *clickclickclick* which really doesn't translate into the premium user experience that Google is going for here, no?

I really can't stress enough how much I love anything else about the phone. Android has never been this smooth, the camera is like God handed me a new toy personally and it's just all around awesome. Except for this one button. Let's just hope third time's the charm, huh?

↓ Edit: Come on, man. Is this really what this thread has become? One bad word about a Google phone and you're a nutjob? Google Pixel volume buttons and you'll find more than a few people complaining about the same thing ↓

AlexF fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Have you tried smoking weed?