Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Oh my sweet summer child. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that that particular sub reddit is 90% "modelling" pictures of Mrs Jenson, Mrs Alonso and Mrs Kimi.

You joke ....

Also Maldonardo's squeeze looks eerily like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Rosberg has a sense of humor?

He retired after winning the Championship, forever trolling Hamilton.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Brainwrong posted:

Imagine being stuck in a room with those two....

.... with 8g of coke

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Lol at mocking Rosberg's sense of humour when his teammate was Lewis Hamilton.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

He sure is a joke of a WDC

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
They've been showing the 1982 season here because Rosberg won I guess, and drat what a tragic season.

That year's Renault was a beautiful car though, I love how the entire back was uncovered.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

El Hefe posted:

They've been showing the 1982 season here because Rosberg won I guess, and drat what a tragic season.

That year's Renault was a beautiful car though, I love how the entire back was uncovered.

The '82 ground effect cars finally looked "right", as opposed to weird or downright ugly.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

El Hefe posted:

And the ground effects on some of the cars were that crazy that some teams didn't run nose wings

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

You Am I posted:

And the ground effects on some of the cars were that crazy that some teams didn't run nose wings

The ones they did run were pretty rudimentary too. The Renault's were very simple.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Alonso is the 2016 Stats World Drivers Champion

https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2016/12/02/2016-model-based-driver-rankings/

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

El Hefe posted:

80s era Renaults were really sexy

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

You Am I posted:

Is that why? I assumed they were banned for some reason

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

They were banned because the fear was if you had an accident mid corner that damaged the skirt the cars you'd see some pretty horrific accidents resulting from a car losing all of its grip all at once.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The front wings? On low downforce circuits they weren't needed usually, but it depended on the car.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I totally misread that and thought he meant ground effects being banned.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

They were banned because the fear was if you had an accident mid corner that damaged the skirt the cars you'd see some pretty horrific accidents resulting from a car losing all of its grip all at once.

That's one of those accidents you sort of want to see just to see how bad it can be, but at the same time you totally don't.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

In my mind I've always visualized it like when De Cesaris rolled the ligier in Austria although that's probably a little bit exaggerated. I'm no engineer or physicist but when a bunch of force designed to push the car into the ground is suddenly removed I would think you'd probably see some sort of lift.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

See: Mark Webber.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

poty posted:

He sure is a joke of a WDC

:vince:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Well yea, it's no surprise he's the best driver. I'm not sure how this was news to anyone.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Speaking of stats, I ran the 2016 results through my patented Bizarro Points system, which has bigger gaps near the bottom and is tighter at the top, but still 25 for a win and 1 for 10th

Results are largely the same but with a couple of swaps. I've grouped them by rough score range
Format: position, change on official place, name, score

1, =, ROS, 457
2,=, HAM, 438
3, =, RIC, 399

4, =, VET, 327
5, =, VES, 298
6, =, RAI, 281

7, =, PER, 171
8, =, BOT, 150
9, =, HUL, 111 (tbh you could move HUL to group below)

10, +1, MAS, 98
11, -1, ALO, 94
12, =, SAI, 89

13, =, GRO, 51
14, +1, BUT, 43
15, -1, KVY, 40

16, =, MAG, 12
17, =, NAS, 5
18, =, PAL, 1
19, =, WEH, 1

The change with Alonso is interesting. I originally though about the score as a joke in the context of other what-if posts, but I realised it would be a good way to get those in low points pootling around trying to stay safe to push for higher places, while keeping the battle at the top closer.

Alonso got hurt under this points system because he did have a tendency not to push so hard when the car was being a dog. His overall ranking was hurt by Waffles vanBelgique replacing him

The Button/Kvyat again reflects that this model rewards reliably bringing it home, and quickly increases your benefits as you move from 10th (1pt), to 9th (5pts), to 8th (8pts) to 7th (11pts)
While KVY had a 3rd, he also only had 5 points finishes, and 2 of those were 10th
Button meanwhile never did better than 6th but had 7 points finishes, with only 1 10th but 4 9ths

Hamilton and Rosberg you would expect to be closer, with 1st being 25pts and 2nd being 24, but 3rd is 22pts
When Hamilton came 1st, Rosberg tended to come 2nd, but when Rosberg came 1st, Hamilton tended to finish 3rd (and also had one extra DNF)

The constructors all remain unchanged in order, but are below:
1, Merc, 895
2, RBR, 707
3, FER, 608
4, FI, 282
5, WIL, 248 (rather closer than they were under real points system)
6, McL, 137
7, TR, 119
8, Haas, 51
9, Renault, 13
10, Sauber, 5
11, manor 1

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Aside from the vacant merc seat, how many others are available?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

julian assflange posted:

Aside from the vacant merc seat, how many others are available?

Both Manors and a Sauber

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Paddy Lowe sits staring off into middle distance "gently caress it, I've earned this"

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I saw a clip of Newey driving the RB simulator and he was utter poo poo spinning all over the place lol

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Briatore rules out Alonso for Mercedes
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/briatore-rules-out-mercedes-switch-for-alonso-858074/

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010
Can someone quickly summarize Alonso's role in spygate for me?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ecstatic posted:

Alonso and de la Rosa both directly used stolen Ferrari data in testing. Alonso threatened to snitch after the qualifying controversy in Hungary, which forced Ron to come clean to Mosley, even though Alonso never actually told anyone.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Ecstatic posted:

Alonso is awesome. McLaren is awesome. The FIA (funded by Ferrari) invented a news story about McLaren "stealing" data about a poo poo car in order to discredit Sir Ron Dennis (also awesome). Someone alleged that Alonso threatened to grass up Sir Ron to Max Mosley but this was most likely a lie invented by the deceitful and ugly Jean Toad.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Was pissed off that Ron treated lewis as his equal despite number one clause in contract. Threatened to tell FIA about dodgy spy emails unless Ron played ball. Ron called his bluff and reported himself for lesser crime, ended up being busted anyway.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Then Ron paid $10 million for his email account and $90 million for being a dick

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Then Ron paid $10 million for his email account and $90 million for being a dick

I believe it was oval office.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
They are putting a chicane on the Mistral Straight at Paul Ricard : /.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Keeping in mind that basically everything except for the fact that Mclaren cheated and did steal the data is merely rumours and speculation.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

quote:

"Why is it that whenever a seat becomes available Fernando is always mentioned?"

Way to undersell your driver Flavio. I keep forgetting he is still allowed to be associated with this sport. Though I suppose forcing fraud sons of world champions to crash into walls is less of a stain on F1 than handing them world championships.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Lip service. If they can get out of the contract without buying it out they're still 'respecting' it.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Of all the crimes being discussed on this page, this one is truly the worst.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
https://twitter.com/kamui_kobayashi/status/806861669074751488

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm all in for the Kob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Human Grand Prix posted:

This is some Bullshit. Anyone shocked though?

• Locked thread