Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Ugh, can we not? Plays just don't translate well to reading silently by yourself.

Franchescanado posted:

Read a book published the year you were born.

This is a great idea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Read a Play
Read a book published the year you were born.
Read a collection of poetry
Read a collection of short stories
Read horror.

These are good, I think it'd be cool to expand poetry to like 3 or 4 categories, like, idk, contemporary, mid 20th century, English romanticism, old, etc. people do not read enough poetry and it's embarrassing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Dienes posted:

Ugh, can we not? Plays just don't translate well to reading silently by yourself.

A little silly to say, since reading a play is no different than reading a book, other than format. You still have to use your imagination, there's just more up to the reader's interpretation. Or pick a play with a small cast of characters, like Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, and get three other friends to sit down and do a reading. Or read the play and then see a performance/watch it online. There's a lot of solutions, all of them manageable. There are a lot of great plays to experience, but going to a theater isn't always viable, and severely limits selection.

Edit: Plays are also meant to be performed in one sitting, so reading them is an efficient use of time, especially for people trying to cram 52+ books a year.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

david crosby posted:

These are good, I think it'd be cool to expand poetry to like 3 or 4 categories, like, idk, contemporary, mid 20th century, English romanticism, old, etc. people do not read enough poetry and it's embarrassing.

I was thinking of doing a big "stupid idiots intro to poetry" thread at some point but idk if I can be bothered

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CestMoi posted:

I was thinking of doing a big "stupid idiots intro to poetry" thread at some point but idk if I can be bothered

Please do. I just started reading some poetry in the last year and some of it I really liked and some I was just baffled by, I need my giant baby hand held.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CestMoi posted:

I think you should. Someone needs to. The big problem I see for people reading poetry is not knowing where to go. People only know the big names, mainly old white American dudes, and don't want to be bothered. They also don't want to take risks on new poets. Libraries and bookstores have limited shelf-space for poetry. Poetry anthologies are crap-shoots of varying qualities. The only modern poet people seem to be able to name is Billy Collins.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

I think you should. Someone needs to. The big problem I see for people reading poetry is not knowing where to go. People only know the big names, mainly old white American dudes, and don't want to be bothered. They also don't want to take risks on new poets. Libraries and bookstores have limited shelf-space for poetry. Poetry anthologies are crap-shoots of varying qualities. The only modern poet people seem to be able to name is Billy Collins.

The very first poet I read was Anne Carson who rules but I don't know how to find stuff like that, I did also read a "Best American poetry" anthology and had a note card for awhile of poets whose stuff I liked but otherwise I am lost in a see of old white men poetry

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Franchescanado posted:

The only modern poet people seem to be able to name is Billy Collins.

Kinda makes sense when no living poets are good IMO. But a lack of poetry knowledge in general is still a problem.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

CestMoi posted:

Do it.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Franchescanado posted:

A little silly to say, since reading a play is no different than reading a book, other than format. You still have to use your imagination, there's just more up to the reader's interpretation. Or pick a play with a small cast of characters, like Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, and get three other friends to sit down and do a reading. Or read the play and then see a performance/watch it online. There's a lot of solutions, all of them manageable. There are a lot of great plays to experience, but going to a theater isn't always viable, and severely limits selection.

Edit: Plays are also meant to be performed in one sitting, so reading them is an efficient use of time, especially for people trying to cram 52+ books a year.

Plays are written to be performed with direction, not read like a book or poem. Its not just a formatting/interpretation issue - its how they are written. I've just never found reading a play to be a satisfying experience (and finding enough people willing to do a reading and do it well enough that its actually enjoyable is easier said than done) and I've tried reading a good 5-6 play scripts at this point. I'd rather skip reading the play and skip directly to watching it (online if necessary), as it is meant to be consumed. :shrug:

Throw it in the reading challenge, but I'm skipping that one.

Have we had a reading challenge that had "Book with female main character" or "Xenofiction/Non-human perspective"?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Dienes posted:

Have we had a reading challenge that had "Book with female main character" or "Xenofiction/Non-human perspective"?

We sort of had it with the animal thing this year but I don't think it was as explicit as that.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Dienes posted:

Plays are written to be performed with direction, not read like a book or poem. Its not just a formatting/interpretation issue - its how they are written. I've just never found reading a play to be a satisfying experience (and finding enough people willing to do a reading and do it well enough that its actually enjoyable is easier said than done) and I've tried reading a good 5-6 play scripts at this point. I'd rather skip reading the play and skip directly to watching it (online if necessary), as it is meant to be consumed. :shrug:

This has been an argument for at least, like, two centuries, going back to Charles Lamb bitching about how the mooks who perform Shakespeare's tragedies never live up to the characters in his imagination. I'm firmly in the camp of "plays are mostly better in your head." I mean, look at that movie adaptation of "The Importance of Being Earnest" with Reese Witherspoon and Colin Firth. Horrible. Or the Broadway production of "Arcadia," supposedly by professionals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCCnBsLUSBU

They're sitting across the table from each other! Why is that girl shrieking her lines???

Anything a little bit subtle or complex is better read, at least the first time. I mean, sure, hell, anything by Tennessee Williams or Arthur Miller are almost always going to be better adapted, but that's because "Streetcar" and "Salesman" are loving dull from line to line and only get their power in retrospect, from their events and emotional heft, not from details of style or ambiguity or wordplay. Watching an actor ham up Shakespeare or Wilde or Stoppard is painful.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Huh, i loved reading Death of a Salesman, and I'm not planning to have my good impression spoiled by watching a stage adaptation. So i guess i agree with you in principle?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dienes posted:

at the date posted:

This has been an argument for at least, like, two centuries, going back to Charles Lamb bitching about how the mooks who perform Shakespeare's tragedies never live up to the characters in his imagination. I'm firmly in the camp of "plays are mostly better in your head." I mean, look at that movie adaptation of "The Importance of Being Earnest" with Reese Witherspoon and Colin Firth. Horrible. Or the Broadway production of "Arcadia," supposedly by professionals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCCnBsLUSBU

They're sitting across the table from each other! Why is that girl shrieking her lines???

Anything a little bit subtle or complex is better read, at least the first time. I mean, sure, hell, anything by Tennessee Williams or Arthur Miller are almost always going to be better adapted, but that's because "Streetcar" and "Salesman" are loving dull from line to line and only get their power in retrospect, from their events and emotional heft, not from details of style or ambiguity or wordplay. Watching an actor ham up Shakespeare or Wilde or Stoppard is painful.

Again, I can't help but feel there's a flaw in the logic of "Plays are meant to be performed, not read." It's not like the actors are calling previous actors to find out how to play the character, the directors aren't watching other director's adaptations, the producers aren't studying production notes,. They read the drat play quite a few times, and experience the story with their imagination, then looking into the best way to adapt it. But you don't need the middle man if you just read the play. Yes, an actor or director may be inspired by something that you won't see/read, and the production may shed new light on the text for you, but that's still from them reading the text.

If you have difficulty enjoying the story by reading a play, I don't know how you can handle novels, and screenplays may just drive you bonkers.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

yes, let's disregard reading plays because clearly it's way better to spend upwards of $500 to see like five plays, assuming you're lucky enought that all the plays you want to experience are staged nearby.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Franchescanado posted:

It's not like the actors are calling previous actors to find out how to play the character, the directors aren't watching other director's adaptations, the producers aren't studying production notes.

They do, though?

Franchescanado posted:

If you have difficulty enjoying the story by reading a play, I don't know how you can handle novels

Novels have more context and actual prose. You don't see a difference between prose describing how characters move and stage direction? One is more evocative and contextually rich.

Franchescanado posted:

screenplays may just drive you bonkers.

Oh God, yes.

ulvir posted:

yes, let's disregard reading plays because clearly it's way better to spend upwards of $500 to see like five plays, assuming you're lucky enought that all the plays you want to experience are staged nearby.

Yes, that is exactly what I said to do . :jerkbag: I said let's not make it a requirement to read one play (especially since that was already done last year). And, if you are in a pinch and are just too broke or unlucky to catch a play live, there is always YouTube for the desperate. But apparently enjoyment of reading plays is going to be mandatory.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dienes posted:

They do, though?

What if it's the first adaptation? The first performance? You're being willfully obtuse because you can't be bothered to read a 200 page book that will be finished in (arguably) a few hours.

Dienes posted:

Novels have more context and actual prose. You don't see a difference between prose describing how characters move and stage direction? One is more evocative and contextually rich.

The text of plays are formatted for dialogue-driven stories with direct action and repercussions of a set context. They rely on the reader's involvement of building the story in their mind and "negative space" reading. Everything is minimal so the reader gets to build the story themselves.

Dienes posted:

But apparently enjoyment of reading plays is going to be mandatory.

These challenges are self-imposed, and in no-way mandatory. If you don't want to read a play, that's fine, be obstinate. But the idea isn't to design a reading challenge around want Dienes wants, it's to get people to read things they don't normally. If you're going to be obstinate, do it on your own time, stop being selfish.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Next OP should make a custom challenge for Dienes which is just "1. Read a play 2. Read a play ..." 26 times in a row

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

It's gotten us more discussion than the rest of the year so gently caress it.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I like the idea of having it in the challenge because I'd be unlikely to pick up a play otherwise. Same with poetry.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I probably would not read a play or poetry, so I would skip booklord if they were in.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

I think I am at 135 right now. I want to get to 140, but I am. It going to sweat it.

I did manage to read the 45 Robert B Parker (and later Ace Atkins) Spenser novels, which I am a little proud of.

I gotta look up all the details later.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am neither going to meet my goal of 52 or finish the Read Harder challenge, but I enjoyed everything I read this year and already beat last year's total by 10.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Rusty posted:

I probably would not read a play or poetry, so I would skip booklord if they were in.

Why not? I'm earnestly asking.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

david crosby posted:

Why not? I'm earnestly asking.
I am pretty open to reading, I have read so many different books this year, in part thanks to booklord, but I am just generally not interested in either one. I have dabbled in both, and maybe I could do poetry if it were in the form of fiction (I have read a couple books this year that would qualify) but for some reason normal poetry books bore me to death and I just can't get in to reading plays. I can't remember the last time I tried, but I decided I wouldn't try again. Right now though, I can barely tolerate non-fiction though so maybe it's just a phase where I just want straight literary fiction (or just a good fiction story).

Edit: I wish I had a better answer, I am just kind of stubborn on what kind of books I read these days.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 9, 2016

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Rusty posted:

I am pretty open to reading, I have read so many different books this year, in part thanks to booklord, but I am just generally not interested in either one. I have dabbled in both, and maybe I could do poetry if it were in the form of fiction (I have read a couple books this year that would qualify) but for some reason normal poetry books bore me to death and I just can't get in to reading plays. I can't remember the last time I tried, but I decided I wouldn't try again. Right now though, I can barely tolerate non-fiction though so maybe it's just a phase where I just want straight literary fiction (or just a good fiction story).

Edit: I wish I had a better answer, I am just kind of stubborn on what kind of books I read these days.
Same here.

I just can't stand poetry... well, maybe some epic poetry, but that's a whole different animal.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Rusty posted:

I think, to respond to your reasons & concerns, that plays, at least, usually have a good fiction story. So now you want to read them.

Poetry is harder, although there's narrative poetry. I think it's one of those things where u just have to do it. Poetry is a big part of the human experience, and there's lots of different styles, some is really easy 2 read. For me it's an essential thing. It would be weird and stupid to go through life without listening to a symphony, or watching a movie, or riding in a go kart, and it's the same for poetry. I know you've read poetry and just didn't like it, But, if you keep giving it a go, you'll eventually like it and want to read more, and then wonder why you didn't like it in the first place, your life will be richer & more enjoyable, etc.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
If someone gives me a good play to read, I'll give it 100 pages. It just seemed like when I tried it the last time, the format didn't work well in book form. Obviously people disagree so I am willing to try it again. I don't know about poetry though. I know I should appreciate it, it's just about the least interesting thing in writing I can think of.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Telling people to read plays is the best way to convince them that plays are universally poo poo.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The point of the Booklord Challenge is to get you reading outside your comfort zone. So if your thought is "I don't already like reading stuff from all of the categories so I'm not going to do the challenge" I think you're kind of missing the point of it to begin with. If you just want to set an arbitrary number of books from categories you already enjoy, and write them down in a list, you can just do that on Goodreads. idk just my opinion

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Well two things:

I finished it this year and enjoyed it.
It isn't an actual category yet, I was just saying I don't enjoy poetry or plays, I had no problem with the last one. People were taking suggestions and I gave my opinion on it.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Would anyone be interested in putting together a shortlist of plays or poetry which might be easier to get into? If it goes in it'd be nice to have something to point to and say "this is a good place to start" instead of just leaving people to fend for themselves.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I'm beginning to doubt your suitability for lordship over the printed page

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

A human heart posted:

I'm beginning to doubt your suitability for lordship over the printed page

Good delegation is the primary skill of management

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Would anyone be interested in putting together a shortlist of plays or poetry which might be easier to get into? If it goes in it'd be nice to have something to point to and say "this is a good place to start" instead of just leaving people to fend for themselves.

I'll make a play list soon

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
If plays are a category again I'll probably read something by Henrik Ibsen since it's been a while and he was probably the greatest literary figure Norway has ever spawned. Plus he was funny as poo poo at times.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

The Berzerker posted:

The point of the Booklord Challenge is to get you reading outside your comfort zone. So if your thought is "I don't already like reading stuff from all of the categories so I'm not going to do the challenge" I think you're kind of missing the point of it to begin with. If you just want to set an arbitrary number of books from categories you already enjoy, and write them down in a list, you can just do that on Goodreads. idk just my opinion

Yeah, I don't really want to read poetry or plays, but before doing the challenge this year, I hadn't read anything other than sci-fi/fantasy in several years (and not much of that either). Reading different things this year has been great, and I'm willing to admit that I need a little outside encouragement to step outside my lazy comfort zone.

I've started thinking about what I could read, but I haven't really touched poetry since school, so I wouldn't know where to start.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
PLAYS TO TRY

GREEK
Aeschylus – The Oresteia
Aristophanes – Lyistrata
Euripides – Medea
Sophocles – The Oedipus Cycle

AFRICAN
Benjamin Kent (Ghana) – The Bus
Samwel Soko Osebe (Kenya) -- The New Bwana
Atwine Bashir Kenneth (Uganda) – Dear Mother
Stanley Makuw (Zimbabwe) – The Coup
Wole Soyinka (Nigeria) – Death and the King's Horseman; The Lion and the Jewel; A Play of Giants; The Swamp Dwellers

NORWEGIAN

Henrick Ibsen – A Doll's House; An Enemy of the People; Ghosts; Hedda Gabler

FRENCH/ BRITISH-FRENCH

Samuel Beckett – Waiting for Godot
Eugene Ionesco - Rhinoceros
Moliere – The Misanthrope
Yasmina Reza – God of Carnage
Jean-Paul Sartre – No Exit

ITALIAN
Ezio D'Errico -- The Anthill; Time of the Locusts
Dario Fo – Accidental Death of an Anarchist
Carlo Gozzi – The Green Bird
Niccolo Machiavelli – The Mandrake
Luigi Pirandello – Six Characters In Search of an Author

RUSSIAN
Anton Chekov -- The Seagull; Three Sisters; The Cherry Orchard; Uncle Vanya; Ivanov
Nikolai Gogol -- The Government Inspector; Diary of a Madman
Natalia Pelevine -- I Plead Guilty
Alexander Pushkin -- Eugene Onegin

AUSTRALIAN
Andrew Bovell -- Speaking in Tongues (Lantana)
Jimmy Chi -- Bran Nue Dae
Nick Enright & Justin Monjo -- Cloudstreet
Michael Gow -- Away
Steven Herrick -- The Simple Gift
Dorothy Hewett -- The Man from Mukinupin
Ray Lawler -- Summer of the Seventeeth Doll
Tommy Murphy -- Holding the Man
Louis Nowra -- Cosi
David Williamson -- Don's Party

BRITISH
Aphra Behn – Oroonoko
Jez Butterworth – Jerusalem
Caryl Churchill – Cloud 9; Top Girls
William Congreve – The Way of the World
George Etherege -The Man of Mode
Michael Frayn – Noises Off
Brian Friel – Dancing at Lughnasa; Translations
Christopher Fry – The Lady's Not for Burning
Oliver Goldsmith – She Stoops to Conquer
Ben Jonson – Volpone
Christopher Marlowe – Doctor Faustus
Harold Pinter – The Homecoming
Nina Raine -- Tribes
Peter Shaffer – Equus
George Bernard Shaw – Major Barbara, Mrs. Warren's Professions; Saint Joan
Richard Brinsley Sheridan – The Rivals
Richard Steele – The Conscious Lovers
Tom Stoppard – Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead; Arcadia
John Millington Synge – The Playboy of the Western World; Riders to the Sea
Oscar Wilde – Lady Windermere's Fan, The Importance of Being Earnest
William Wycherley – The Country Wife

AMERICAN
Edward Albee – Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, The Zoo Story, The Goat
Annie Baker – Circle Mirror Transformation
Alan Bennett – The History Boys
Julia Cho - BFE
Margaret Edson – Wit
David Feldshuh – Miss Evers' Boys
Susan Glaspell -- Trifles
Prince Gomolvilas – The Theory of Everything
Stephen Adly Guirgis – The Lasy Days of Judas Iscariot
Lorraine Hansberry – A Raisin in the Sun
Lillian Hellman – The Little Foxes,Toys in the Attic, Watch on the Rhine
Amy Herzog – 4000 Miles
David Henry Hwang – M. Butterfly
Denis Johnson – Soul of a Whore, Purvis
Rajiv Joseph – Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo
Larry Kramer – The Normal Heart
Tony Kushner – Angels In America
Jerome Lawrence & Robert Edwin Lee – Inherit The Wind
Tracy Letts – August: Osage County
John Logan -- Red
Archibald MacLeish – J.B.
David Mamet – American Buffalo, Glengarry Glen Ross, Oleanna, Speed the Plow
Arthur Miller – All My Sons , The Crucible
Martin McDonagh – The Pillowman
Marsha Norman – 'night, Mother
Eugene O'Neill – Desire Under the Elms; Long Day's Journey Into The Night; Mourning Becomes Electra
John Pielmeier – Agnes of God
Paul Rudnick -- Jeffrey
John Patrick Shanley – Doubt
Diana Son – Stop Kiss
Paula Vogel – The Baltimore Waltz; How I Learned To Drive
Wendy Wasserstein – Uncommon Women and Others
Thornton Wilder – Our Town
August Wilson -- Fences; Joe Turner's Come and Gone; Ma Rainey's Black Bottom; The Piano Lesson
Tennessee Williams – Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; The Glass Menagerie; The Night of the Iguanas

SHAKESPEARE
Antony and Cleopatra
As You Like It
Hamlet
Henry IV, Parts I and II
Henry V
King Lear
Macbeth
The Merchant of Venice
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Much Ado About Nothing
Othello
Richard III
Romeo and Juliet
The Tempest
Titus Andronicus

I tried to keep with a lot of variety. I know the American section is large, but it's the biggest mix of genre, sexual orientation, gender, race, availability, modern/classics, awards, etc. Apologies for not being able to include noteworthy works from more countries in an attempt at ease, brevity and time efficiency.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeah that's ideal, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

It's a cool list but I don't think it's necessarily the best thing for a person who is like "I have no idea what plays to read" and you run in like "here's literally 50 plays that exist"

• Locked thread