Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I work from home, my work laptop is the little 1366x768 Dell E6430 at the top, because work thought that this was a good screen resolution for someone whose job is a mixture of programming and graphic design. It's in the E-Port docking station and stuffed behind the main monitor., my personal laptop is a 1920x1080 Clevo N150RD on its side to the right. It's pure luck that the screen sizes matched when sideways, though I do have to set the scaling to 160% to make it match well, then promptly disabled scaling for Putty and Pidgin because they look like poo poo, and just manually set the fonts instead.

The two big monitors are Hazro HZ26Wi 1920x1200 units hooked up to a dual-DVI KVM which is shared between both laptops. This means that when I'm skiving off work, the work laptop can still keep an eye on emails and lync, likewise when I'm actually working, the personal laptop can keep an eye on IRC and Pidgin.

It's still a bit of a WIP I need to get adjustable monitor stands. The ones I'm looking at you can also get laptop trays and stuff for. I also intend on making a DIY docking station for the Clevo, which basically means encasing all the adaptor dongles round the back into modelling glue or something.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Finally added monitor arms to all monitors, got all my desk space back finally!

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Desk mantis.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

CyberPingu posted:

Finally added monitor arms to all monitors, got all my desk space back finally!

This is really nice, I need to do this.

AbrahamSlam
Jun 12, 2013

Mess with the bull, you get the WANG!

My setup.

AbrahamSlam fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 10, 2016

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

WorkingStiff posted:

Desk mantis.

whats that mouse

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Logitech M705

Killer Low Life
Sep 6, 2010

oh hay babygurl

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Where do your baby girl legs go?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
love the eye-searing Blu LEDS

Killer Low Life
Sep 6, 2010

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Where do your baby girl legs go?

Under the desk? It's two pictures fool

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
What desk? I don't see any desk.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Barry posted:

What desk? I don't see any desk.

It's in the dark behind all of the ugly nerd poo poo.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

What do you got there, numbers?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Hold on, let me check my temps *launches off chair into hunched positiong over the PC tower*

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

It's like putting a little LED display in the corner of a 55" TV to show the current channel.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

B-Nasty posted:

It's like putting a little LED display in the corner of a 55" TV to show the current channel.

This is GENIUS!!!!!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
That would be really handy for learning channel numbers.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Back in my day you had a row of physical buttons down one side of the tv, with little channel numbers Next to them that would light up when you selected that channel. And when you wanted to change the channel you had to get your fat arse off the couch and push the button.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Your day sounds like it sucked rear end.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Your day sounds like it sucked rear end.

cant wait for a future where a channel cha<nge is only an eyeblink away

gently caress talking to your tv

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

Back in my day you had a row of physical buttons down one side of the tv, with little channel numbers Next to them that would light up when you selected that channel. And when you wanted to change the channel you had to get your fat arse off the couch and push the button.

How often did your father yell at you for pushing them too fast?

Buttons > Dials

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

How often did your father yell at you for pushing them too fast?

Buttons > Dials

Not at all. It saved him from having to get up and do it himself. Children were the first tv remotes.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

Children were the first tv remotes.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

The TV remote was invented in 1950 so y'all must be old AF

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I'm 29. I'd never heard of a tv having a remote until we bought one in the early 90s. That being said Australia was pretty backwards and the first colour broadcast didn't happen till 1975.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm 29. I'd never heard of a tv having a remote until we bought one in the early 90s. That being said Australia was pretty backwards and the first colour broadcast didn't happen till 1975.

Just wait till you get LCD tvs.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I hear they're still waiting for the full version of the internet down there.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
My new TV has Kodi and Google Play, which means I don't need my HTPC anymore for 90% of is old purposes, so only acts as my new Steam Link.

Now I can just yell at my TV like Gary Busey and get movies and music. It's so weird living in the future.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

KillHour posted:

I hear they're still waiting for the full version of the internet down there.

Our government changed hands and promptly canceled it.

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Our government changed hands and promptly canceled it.

God how I wish this was a joke.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
ok this is my current setup,

including Fly 5 Joystick for Elite Dangerous along with the Oculus DK2,
in front of the KB is the Leap Motion (I also have the mount for the DK2)

I am currently awaiting delivery of 2 new Monitors which will drastically change the layout and setup, (I will edit the post once the new monitors are here and installed.
To the left of the PC ia my Epson CL42000 Full colour Laser Printer.

New setup - still need to reattach the peripherals but i had to make a quick trip out to maplin to get some Displayport cables as the monitor on Amazon showed DVI plug on the back but the actual monitors did not have that connector on it.

Shame i need to change my backdrop as its now not the right shape for the screens

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 24, 2016

foxy boxing babe
Jan 17, 2010

Not sure where else to post this, but I'm in a situation where I have to route wiring across the back of my desk which is against a wall. How do I make this not look like poo poo? Cable ties helped a little but I can still see the cables and it's annoying me :reject:

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

y'all need jesus

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

foxy boxing babe posted:

Not sure where else to post this, but I'm in a situation where I have to route wiring across the back of my desk which is against a wall. How do I make this not look like poo poo? Cable ties helped a little but I can still see the cables and it's annoying me :reject:

Pics Plz.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

foxy boxing babe posted:

Black Adhesive Backed Nylon Wire Adjustable Cable Clips Clamps

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Lord Bude posted:

I can't parse this anecdote unless it is accompanied by a picture of a Minion, please do the needful.

AustinJ
Jul 12, 2006

You can't take the sky from me!

foxy boxing babe posted:

Love this stuff for cleaning up cables.

https://www.amazon.com/Techflex-Split-Sleeving-feet-Black/dp/B0008JHB14

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

or use Orange innerduct for a futuristic look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

any minimalist computer desk recommendations? Something with bookshelf type storage would be cool. Just need something that's not too wide. I have that generic rebranded glass L-shape desk you see everywhere but it's too cumbersome and time to get rid of it.

I have a Samsung 34" WQHD, so it has to accommodate that. I like having my monitor sitting up high a bit, eye level. I noticed there's not really any desks with a built in VESA mount, will the attachable ones suffice for a 34"? I run a surface pro with a dock connected to my mechanical keyboard and mouse.