Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006

galak-z owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It was fun.

So was Colony Wars. Make another Colony Wars, Sony.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its insane that Warhawk was the PS1 flight sim they decided to reboot, instead of Colony Wars. I mean Warhawk PS3 and Starhawk were good but still.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

bloodychill posted:

It was fun.

gently caress i'd kill for another Colony wars, what a great set of games.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

i did say roguelike?
half baked and bad controls are implied..

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I dunno about difficulty but they'd have to rethink many controls so it doesn't need a whole keyboard. But then, did the game ever really need five different ways to cycle through targets? Was there any way it could have been automated to the point where manual things could be handled by one or two buttons?

It's very possible, I'm sure, but isn't the whole complicated control scheme half the fun?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So, uh

I just finished MGSIV for the first time and...

What was that ending? Uh....still flabbergasted.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wait you just played 4 for the first time? or did you mean 5, which is the one on ps4?

either way I can see where you're coming from tho :v: you need to do the epilogue stuff in 5 to see the actual ending tho, so do that if you haven't

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

No, 4. Never got around to it.

It...certainly goes places. I think I have a headache now.

Edit: This is basically the Playstation thread, hence posting it here. I just...needed to get that off my chest. I'm still not sure if 4's even a good game or not. I feel like I just watched a movie titled "Metal Gear Solid 4 Ending." I think it's 90 minutes long, literally.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I was just making sure

but yea mgs4 is really big on the cutscenes (backlash to that is why mgs5 is mostly free of them from what I understand). the very last thing was tacked on because people working on the game under kojima didn't want snake to die, which is a shame because it's soooo dumb

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Kirios posted:

So, uh

I just finished MGSIV for the first time and...

What was that ending? Uh....still flabbergasted.

U got up and turned the console off when U saw credits didnt you

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

bloodychill posted:

It was fun.

Even HD remasters would be fine I guess. They're doing it for wipeout after all!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's very possible, I'm sure, but isn't the whole complicated control scheme half the fun?
Not to me. I guess that's why I only ever play games, including on the PC, with a gamepad anymore.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Anyone whose beaten The Last Guardian just answer me this: is the ending happy or sad

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Whoever answers that better spoil it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Uncle Wemus posted:

Anyone whose beaten The Last Guardian just answer me this: is the ending happy or sad

Yes. i have not played the last guardian

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Uncle Wemus posted:

happy but also sad

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Steep is way more fun than it should be. Once you get over the lovely trick controls and remember it's not an SSX sequel the amount of variety they created from just boring realistic mountains is pretty incredible. I actually enjoy everything but trick runs and occasionally have fun with those when I can get some momentum going.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

it's not an SSX sequel

Pass.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Forget Colony Wars. Give me G-Police.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Seedge posted:

Forget Colony Wars. Give me G-Police.

G-Police had a really unique atmosphere, great music, too. Love that bombing camera.

I miss Psygnosis :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same and I wish the new Wipeout collection were revamps of the older games rather than the most recent ones.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm probably getting to broad with this conversation but I miss the PSX gen in general. Back when there were no hard and fast rules on how to make a game, and so many games were unique and weird.

By all means most of them weren't great, but I miss not really knowing what I was getting myself into when I cracked a new game open. That and not having the internet ruin every secret in every game.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

look I typed a really dumb post here which basically boiled down to mo money mo problems. We won't see crazy cool games like Katamari Damacy unless it's in the indie scene because you cannot get away with selling a quirky game full price anymore unless you have an advertising budget. I miss the cool innovative games like Katamari and Monster Hunter.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

I feel this didn't get enough love and got caught up in the space VR game chat.

Yes of course everyone knows Tie Fighter should be re-made it's like waters wet, the suns bright and it'll get dark before tomorrow morning.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I'm probably getting to broad with this conversation but I miss the PSX gen in general. Back when there were no hard and fast rules on how to make a game, and so many games were unique and weird.

By all means most of them weren't great, but I miss not really knowing what I was getting myself into when I cracked a new game open. That and not having the internet ruin every secret in every game.

Just go dark on your console threads and generic things like reddit chan or twitter right before a new game comes out.

also Legend of Mana GOAT but you don't want me to tell you why

Puddin posted:

I feel this didn't get enough love and got caught up in the space VR game chat.

Yes of course everyone knows Tie Fighter should be re-made it's like waters wet, the suns bright and it'll get dark before tomorrow morning.

It was cute and funny but the r1 commands are kind of a sore spot in that game for me, its a bad idea to put a command on r1 ans also on holding r1 and pressing a face button, theres no input buffer built into it so the ai gets confused when you try to do a face button command on its back and it tries to find and turn /move towards you first

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 9, 2016

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

are you actually locked onto anything or are you just holding r1 with nothing close enough to you to lock yet?
I wish this was one of the prompts on screen because I use Type C controls and have no idea what the button is to do a sticky lock on, a soft lock for me is L1

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's probably whatever the button is for bringing up the map if I had to guess. that's what r3 does when you're not soft locked onto anything

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Akuma posted:

I wish this was one of the prompts on screen because I use Type C controls and have no idea what the button is to do a sticky lock on, a soft lock for me is L1

it doesnt solve the problem, im fine holding the soft lock, my problem is when i move around near an object or get another monster in the way or put myself in any situation where i wouldnt be able to lock onto that monster's head flank,neck, leg, etc it breaks the softlock or toggled hardlock.

including, when you call in regroup gravisphere or dawnhammer which happens relatively frequently

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

I dunno about difficulty but they'd have to rethink many controls so it doesn't need a whole keyboard. But then, did the game ever really need five different ways to cycle through targets? Was there any way it could have been automated to the point where manual things could be handled by one or two buttons?

Elite: Dangerous has a lot more complex controls yet they managed to brilliantly map it to an Xbox controller by using modifiers. I got used to the gamepad controls and now I prefer them (to be fair I don't have a HOTAS or anything like that.)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'll try to do a quick and dirty explanation of the mgs4 ending when I get to work and can peep the wiki a bit and not phone post.

That game is hilariously dense with fanservice, kojima humor and crazy plot, love the hell out of it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If you dont have a HOTAS then turn in your Mei avatar.

Thank you, that was the 1,000,000,000,000th HOTAS hot rear end joke ever made.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Steep is way more fun than it should be. Once you get over the lovely trick controls and remember it's not an SSX sequel the amount of variety they created from just boring realistic mountains is pretty incredible. I actually enjoy everything but trick runs and occasionally have fun with those when I can get some momentum going.

Give it about 6 days and the novelty factor will wear off and you'll get bored with it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I haven't played a Final Fantasy game in a long time (since VII although of course I've watched others being played, etc) so I picked up XV. Serious question: why do the menus STILL look like a PS1 game? That 90s generic blue gradient thing they use is atrocious good lord.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Because the series still banks a lot on nostalgia.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

BonoMan posted:

I haven't played a Final Fantasy game in a long time (since VII although of course I've watched others being played, etc) so I picked up XV. Serious question: why do the menus STILL look like a PS1 game? That 90s generic blue gradient thing they use is atrocious good lord.

What would you prefer? I think they look pretty ok.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SettingSun posted:

What would you prefer? I think they look pretty ok.

Any design that matches the rest of the game's design?

I mean it's not a deal breaker (clearly) ... it's just ugly to me. Then again I primarily don't like the PS4 default OS design either.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

BonoMan posted:

The small ff traditions are the only thing keeping the series alive at the point

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'll try to do a quick and dirty explanation of the mgs4 ending when I get to work and can peep the wiki a bit and not phone post.

That game is hilariously dense with fanservice, kojima humor and crazy plot, love the hell out of it.

The big last battle happens and OldSnake uploads a digital Foxdie virus that busts up the Patriots/AI's that control the planet. Sunny is a super genius hacker so it leaves the good stuff so everyone on the planet doesn't die.

Ocelot takes OldSnake out of there while he's passed out and fights him on top of the big boat because he has a super mancrush on Big Boss and all his clones. Turns out he's been faking the whole Liquid thing in order to achieve Big Boss's vision...which might be The Boss's vision? Or BB's version of her vision? Either way he's one of the only people who's always been in on the big picture since the very very beginning (MGS5 I guess) and his overriding agenda has always been "I have a superboner for Big Boss".

All the side characters get happy endings.

Snake visits LadyBoss's grave and wants to kill himself because Foxdie is gonna do it anyway and mutate into an indiscriminate version that kills everyone on Earth. Big Boss shows up and stops him, explains a few things:

- The corpse of Big Boss everyone was fighting over was actually Solidus (the only perfect clone of Big Boss)
- The AI Patriots/Zero had him laid up somewhere in cryostasis and it turned off when the AI Patriots died
- The original Patriots were basically everyone from MGS3 working to fulfill LadyBoss's wishes with the fortune they stole.
- At some point Zero and Big Boss started beefing over what LadyBoss's vision really was. Zero believed it was total control of the world populace, BB thought it was his Soldiers Nation/Outer Heaven thing. He says they were both wrong and dumb.
- When Drebin injected Snake at the start of the game it replaced his Old Foxdie with a new one cooked up by the AI Patriots targeted at Big Boss, Zero and the other remaining human Patriots, and it also stopped the whole "Snake becomes a WMD foxdie" thing for some reason.

Big Boss takes Zero off life support, Snakes new Foxdie kills Big Boss, Snake lives happily ever after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

This best part of that ending is that Big Boss wheeled Zero out to the grave just to kill him in front of Snake. That post credits cutscene lasted more than an hour, btw.

• Locked thread