Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

TotalLossBrain posted:

Grammar nazis and the alt-write

cnut posted:

*Grammer

*Grandma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VRViperII
Mar 17, 2009
I try to pronounce your you're differently.
Yore vs yewer. Tricky out loud though. It's not a grammar thing to me. They are completely different words. Like "or" "oar" "ore", "red" "read".

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

*Grandmaster Flash

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Bombadilillo posted:

I had a middle school teacher that was pedantic and it rubbed off on me and it took me a long time to get over it and stop telling people they were pronouncing words wrong. Example, Forte, when referring to a strength was originally pronounced "fort", the common usage was only for instruments. So went around as a little poo poo correcting people who said running was their forte. Took a while to get over that and a love affair with "A Way With Words" on NPR.

Fort is masculine and forte is feminine , hth

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Fort is masculine and forte is feminine , hth

:j: "Honey come quick the girls have built a fort in the guarden!"

:smug: "Ugh... I think you'll find they've built a FORTE"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Now that we have open gays in the military it's time to start calling it Forte Knox.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009

Tricky D posted:

Dear facebook,

I am so mad about the slang kids black people use these days. Just so gosh darn mad.

Sincerely,
Your loving grandma fav white suburban MamaOf3Angles

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Bombadilillo posted:

And lets face it, the your you're correction is babies first grammar Nazi. I misuse that poo poo on purpose at those people knowing I am contributing the changing of language and trolling assholes.

Actually it's people pointing out that idiots are using the wrong words and outing themselves as a moran. You went from being a pedantic bitch to a whiny bitch.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

ChesterJT posted:

Actually it's people pointing out that idiots are using the wrong words and outing themselves as a moran. You went from being a pedantic bitch to a whiny bitch.

Nice try. So close.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Speaking of bad posts,

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Bombadilillo posted:

I had a middle school teacher

What was his name

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

TotalLossBrain posted:

Whoa check it this guys been on Facebook

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

VRViperII posted:

Yore vs yewer. Tricky out loud though. It's not a grammar thing to me. They are completely different words. Like "or" "oar" "ore", "red" "read".

Yewer dumb

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/bloodhaiI/status/807183754116599809

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

um, that guy's name is toilet

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

other people posted:

um, that guy's name is toilet

AHEM! It's pronounced TWAH-LAY

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Bombadilillo posted:

I know Im arguing with a dumb jpg. But if you look at how much language changes its crazy. 150 years ago you would have trouble conversing. 500 years ago you could not speak English. The speed at which slang becomes "official" is really fast and when people ignore 'rules' or the 'proper words' they go away really fast.

I had a middle school teacher that was pedantic and it rubbed off on me and it took me a long time to get over it and stop telling people they were pronouncing words wrong. Example, Forte, when referring to a strength was originally pronounced "fort", the common usage was only for instruments. So went around as a little poo poo correcting people who said running was their forte. Took a while to get over that and a love affair with "A Way With Words" on NPR.

And lets face it, the your you're correction is babies first grammar Nazi. I misuse that poo poo on purpose at those people knowing I am contributing the changing of language and trolling assholes.

Babbies first linguistics essay.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

VRViperII posted:

holy poo poo a goon exists that is too dumb to understand the concept of homophones

VRViperII
Mar 17, 2009

thathonkey posted:

holy poo poo a goon exists that is too dumb to understand the concept of homophones

That could be. Or i could be making an effort not to be saying "yer" when i mean "you are" like a single toothed bayou caricature.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

VRViperII posted:

That could be. Or i could be making an effort not to be saying "yer" when i mean "you are" like a single toothed bayou caricature.

I don't think about it at all

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

thathonkey posted:

Of course when you're by yourself in your computer den with adjoined lego room with no family or friends or loved ones aside from your eve online goon corp it's easy to start shouting YEWER and YUR to yourself so that you can tell the difference

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Fight children with diabetes? How bazaar.

VRViperII
Mar 17, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

Of course when you're by yourself in your computer den with adjoined lego room with no family or friends or loved ones aside from your eve online goon corp it's easy to start shouting YEWER and YUR to yourself so that you can tell the difference

That sounds lonely. Try going outside. :cheeky:

For content:

Never mind. Facebook is garbage and nothing I can find is worth sharing.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

VRViperII posted:

Yer doin'et rong :grin:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Languages traditionally change much more rapidly in urban areas versus rural ones. For example, Colonial American backwoods dudes spoke English much closer to the Shakespearean accent than Londoners during the same time period. A lot of the rhymes in Shakespeare's stuff don't work any longer in the stuffy "traditional" accent his works are performed in because the British accent has drifted so much over time. There's a few troupes dedicated to trying to reconstruct the proper accent for performances, so that's cool.

The same goes for slang and neologisms, etc. In areas of dense population, those can develop, take hold, spread and then fall out of favor rapidly. By the time a slang term is old news in the city, it might just be starting to creep in on the periphery of the rural lexicon.

With giant internet communities being connected and able to instantly message and respond to individuals, there's essentially very high density pockets where language is being pressure-cooked before being flung out into the general population.

Soon we will all speak like moon people and movies from the 1980s will be nearly culturally and linguistically unintelligible to kids born in the 2080s.

Or something

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

TotalLossBrain posted:

:drat: haha

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Pvt.Scott posted:

Languages traditionally change much more rapidly in urban areas versus rural ones. For example, Colonial American backwoods dudes spoke English much closer to the Shakespearean accent than Londoners during the same time period. A lot of the rhymes in Shakespeare's stuff don't work any longer in the stuffy "traditional" accent his works are performed in because the British accent has drifted so much over time. There's a few troupes dedicated to trying to reconstruct the proper accent for performances, so that's cool.

The same goes for slang and neologisms, etc. In areas of dense population, those can develop, take hold, spread and then fall out of favor rapidly. By the time a slang term is old news in the city, it might just be starting to creep in on the periphery of the rural lexicon.

With giant internet communities being connected and able to instantly message and respond to individuals, there's essentially very high density pockets where language is being pressure-cooked before being flung out into the general population.

Soon we will all speak like moon people and movies from the 1980s will be nearly culturally and linguistically unintelligible to kids born in the 2080s.

Or something

Historically informed Shakespeare sounds like a retarded Somerset pirate

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

ChesterJT posted:

Make america drunk drivers again.

Jesus walks into a hotel with a handful of nails and says "put me up for the night"

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

These math ones are my favorite:

Gary isn't having your order of operations bullshit.

whodatwhere
Aug 24, 2013

He seems to think there can be two correct answers, the difference being one is BOSS and the other is for the common man.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

whodatwhere posted:

He seems to think there can be two correct answers, the difference being one is BOSS and the other is for the common man.

Those are actually the legit rules of secret math, so Gary checks out.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
How can you get it to 0? I can't figure it out. It's like a reverse IQ-test

I like the person who gets it right despite the potentially bogus order of operations

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Order of operations is stupid, expressions should be evaluated left to right.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Vesi posted:

How can you get it to 0? I can't figure it out. It's like a reverse IQ-test

I like the person who gets it right despite the potentially bogus order of operations

I assume they are adding and subtracting first then doing division and multiplication, the last bit gives you zero and then multiplying times that would give you zero as well. It's the only way I can figure to get 0

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The Management posted:

What do you expect from a bunch of muslim terrorists

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

The Management posted:

All operations matter.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

The Management posted:

Ok, Gary.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
"Only 2% of the world's population will <blanket term that describes everybody> and are considered a real genius! The other 99 % are scientifically proven to have never thought of this!"

ZOmG that is so me!

-type posts are my favorite. The narcissism is staggering.

Reddit (I know, I know) has a subreddit called r/iamverysmart that's a real goldmine. It's pure digitized cringe. Some people are completely devoid of self-awareness

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

I know a dude who is always making fun of sharebait posts with me yet still got into a heated argument over the correct answer to one of those maths posts

Also Facebook messenger is the shittest chat client ever. Why the gently caress are my only two options "receive no chat notifications" and "receive every stupid notification including those random 'billy mcdickface scored 10 points playing dickball' ones"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

I refuse to install facebook messenger. gently caress that.

• Locked thread