Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

I could go on but the whole book is like this. I love the image of the peasant venturing a few fields too far from home, becoming hopelessly lost and wandering the country forever.

this is what I was taught in my AP european high school history class

this was only six years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
we should Let's Read it
one section per goon

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Stairmaster posted:

I just can't stop picturing Tony Robinson's Baldrick from Blackadder 2 now.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

quote:

The bomb is carried on specially adapted Lancaster aircraft. The striking velocity of the bomb, when released at an altitude of 18000 feet, and an air speed of 200 mph, is stated at 1,097 ft/sec at which speed it has developed a rotational velocity of 300 rpm.

:stonklol:

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I haven't read AWLOBF, so I don't know if the author actually has evidence for it or not

So aside from the fact that what you said is prima facie dumb, you could also have looked at the book's Wikipedia and found out this dude assembled his evidence exclusively from secondary sources lmao

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

So I finally got around to my Crimean War 101 by finishing Trevor Royle's history of the conflict.

It's funny to see how early Napoleon III's Imperial middle management style taking root so early, sad to see old Raglan five minutes from retirement more or less putting up with the insanity and just general sad horrible pity to the British, French, Russian, Ottoman and Sardinian soldiers who all took turns starving, getting ravaged by cholera and waiting for the conflict to end.

(my favourite bit was when the infantry of the light division got confused during the battle of Alma by Russians showing up in their flank who they thought they were French soldiers so they awkwardly withdrawed right into the column all the blue balled British Guards moving up. Truly a glorious moment).

My favourite thing about the Crimean War is how the British had forgotten how small their army was and had to go around the empire scrounging up functional soldiers to send over and faff about.

Stairmaster posted:

God, AP is such a loving joke.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 9, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

ww1--that was ALL PRO SEXMAN's best bud and true hero niall fergueson

Why do you hate me so much, HEY GAL?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

My favourite thing about the Crimean War is how the British had forgotten how small their army was and had to go around the empire scrounging up functional soldiers to send over and faff about.

It was more of a case of 'holy poo poo, we really should have been more aware about taking care of our sick/wounded!' as death due to disease and injury hit the smaller force of British soldiers constantly. But yeah, the size of the force really didn't help and they forgot that the glories of the Napoleonic Wars were shared with the Spanish/Prussians/Portugal.

The need for new men was so bad they had to revive the Foreign Legions once more and this led to a 2nd incident that pissed the United States government off that could have led to conflict in a less sane world.

The experienced soldiers fought well in the land battles of the more active phase but the problem being of course is that dead soldiers stay dead. The French Army on the other hand had twice the amount of soldiers and were more prepared in treating the wounded.

Both armies however simply had the poo poo kicked out of them by disease and inefficient management/command.

Also, Mary Seacole and William Howard Russel are still amazing.

Also, major props to the Russian Engineers during the siege. They kept that poo poo up until they were constantly being bombarded by an obscene amount of weaponry.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 9, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HEY GAL posted:

niall fergueson

this dude is hilarious. I watched his Netflix special about how Britain could have just sat out of WWI and then been best EU buds with Imperial Germany, which was 40 minutes of highly produced graphics and him lecturing. And then at the end even the general audience he had in the studio was like "none of this makes any sense"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The title of my lecture today will be "Check out my sweet loving LP of Darkest Hour: Kasierreich."

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

The title of my lecture today will be "Check out my sweet loving LP of Darkest Hour: Kasierreich."

"World War 2: How Hitler Could Have Done It - Featuring Hearts of Iron IV"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

gently caress, I have a save half way through turning China into a Republic. I stopped just after beating up some rebels with mountain infantry. Sometime I should go back and continue saving China.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

PittTheElder posted:

this dude is hilarious. I watched his Netflix special about how Britain could have just sat out of WWI and then been best EU buds with Imperial Germany, which was 40 minutes of highly produced graphics and him lecturing. And then at the end even the general audience he had in the studio was like "none of this makes any sense"

Funny thing is, Niall Ferguson on WWI is actually at his best, insofar as its a subject on which he has done some real grownup research, and managed to reach a conclusion that isn't just retrofitted to his political idealogy. Books like Civilisation are much, much worse.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mr Enderby posted:

Niall Ferguson... at his best

This is a contradiction in terms.

Also the last month has proved that Spengler may have had a point after all.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Enderby posted:

Funny thing is, Niall Ferguson on WWI is actually at his best, insofar as its a subject on which he has done some real grownup research, and managed to reach a conclusion that isn't just retrofitted to his political idealogy. Books like Civilisation are much, much worse.

incorrect: his book on the rothschilds is the only good thing he ever did.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Mr Enderby posted:

Funny thing is, Niall Ferguson on WWI is actually at his best, insofar as its a subject on which he has done some real grownup research, and managed to reach a conclusion that isn't just retrofitted to his political idealogy.

Nah mate he's kind of talking entirely through his hoop on that one, hth

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Trin Tragula posted:

Nah mate he's kind of talking entirely through his hoop on that one, hth

Not denying that, I'm just saying as weird as his conclusion on that subject, at least he's attempting to do history, not just political propaganda.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HEY GAL posted:

we should Let's Read it
one section per goon

I'm down.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

This is a contradiction in terms.

Also the last month has proved that Spengler may have had a point after all.

That being? I'm not familiar off the top of my head.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Let's Read
Let's Read
Let's Read

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oh by the way, the new series of TIME COMMANDERS starts at 9PM this monday on BBC4. It'll be on iPlayer later.

The host is Greg Wallace. Yes. The Chef. I dunno why.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

JcDent posted:

Let's Read
Let's Read
Let's Read

Someone do this, or I'll have to do it and I'm no where near as smart or knowledgeable as the rest of the thread and it won't be any good.

However, just going off the title, I feel like it's worth mentioning that it's not even true. The medieval world was not in fact lit only by fire. The had this amazing technology called the sun.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I understand how this book came to be ( sloppy research from incompetent amateur who didn't give a poo poo) but what I really want to know is why it was such a success and why it is widely used in classrooms. Like is it tapping into some unconscious desire to distance ourselves from the past by asserting everyone born before 1500 was naked and barely sentient? Does it just fit so comfortably into the traditional Rome>Dark Ages>Renaissance narrative that the goofier assertions slide by unchallenged?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
well...yeah. for one thing, those fuckers were catholic and mainstream american culture decidedly is not. for another, the book supports the myth of progress, that everything gets better the later it happens, which americans love. there's all sorts of reasons.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

SeanBeansShako posted:

That is true, but what if you know about incidents like that terrible US Civil War historian that got publically dumped by HEY GAL's friend and can't keep a straight face trying to read the stuff?

link to this?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It was WW1 and ALL-PRO-SEXMAN.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
no, SEXMAN hates him, but it was my friend's sister.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Adding my voice to the growing chant of "Let's Read". Also, what's the average experience level in this thread? As a newcomer who's a 19 year old college kid I feel pretty out of my depth, it seems like half of you could be my professors.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

quote:

Professional historians, however, have dismissed or ignored the book because of its numerous factual errors and its dependence on interpretations that have not been accepted by experts since the 1930s at the latest. In a review for Speculum, the journal of the Medieval Academy of America, Jeremy duQuesnay Adams remarked that Manchester’s work contained "some of the most gratuitous errors of fact and eccentricities of judgment this reviewer has read (or heard) in quite some time."[3] In particular, Adams pointed out that Manchester's claims about diet, clothing, and medieval people's views of time and their sense of self all ran counter to the conclusions of 20th-century historians of the Middle Ages. Manchester’s views on the transition from medieval to modern civilization, though they were popular in the 19th and early 20th century (and still are current in some segments of contemporary culture), have long been rejected by professional scholars in the relevant fields. Despite this, the book is often taught at the beginning of College Board's AP European History class.[4]

lol AP

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Crazycryodude posted:

Adding my voice to the growing chant of "Let's Read". Also, what's the average experience level in this thread? As a newcomer who's a 19 year old college kid I feel pretty out of my depth, it seems like half of you could be my professors.

This is true of a few people (Hey Gal, Cyrano, Grand Fromage, and Rodrigo Diaz come to main) who are actively involved in historical research and/or teaching, but most of us are just armchair historians who read a lot.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How does a city with half a million or more people like Leningrad or Aleppo stay besieged for years without everyone running out of food and dying within 3 months or so?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

How does a city with half a million or more people like Leningrad or Aleppo stay besieged for years without everyone running out of food and dying within 3 months or so?

Leningrad could be resupplied, It was tragically very difficult though.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I aced the AP Euro Exam as a wee lad. I didn't actually take a class, just crammed with a cheap review guide and poo poo out an essay about the Zollverein. I'm now really glad I dodged that one.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think I found a complete copy of AWLOBF on Google and hoo boy does this look fun.

quote:

THE DARK AGES were stark in every dimension. Famines and plague, culminating in the Black Death and its recurring pandemics, repeatedly thinned the population. Rickets afflicted the survivors. Extraordinary climatic changes brought storms and floods which turned into major disasters because the empire’s drainage system, like most of the imperial infrastructure, was no longer functioning. It says much about the Middle Ages that in the year 1500, after a thousand years of neglect, the roads built by the Romans were still the best on the continent. Most others were in such a state of disrepair that they were unusable; so were all European harbors until the eighth century, when commerce again began to stir. Among the lost arts was bricklaying; in all of Germany, England, Holland, and Scandinavia, virtually no stone buildings, except cathedrals, were raised for ten centuries. The serfs’ basic agricultural tools were picks, forks, spades, rakes, scythes, and balanced sickles. Because there was very little iron, there were no wheeled plowshares with moldboards. The lack of plows was not a major problem in the south, where farmers could pulverize light Mediterranean soils, but the heavier earth in northern Europe had to be sliced, moved, and turned by hand. Although horses and oxen were available, they were of limited use. The horse collar, harness, and stirrup did not exist until about A.D. 900. Therefore tandem hitching was impossible. Peasants labored harder, sweated more, and collapsed from exhaustion more often than their animals

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 9, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

a guy wrote a book on medieval European history and apparently never heard of castles, one of the, like, 2 things every Westerner knows about medieval European history.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also his justification for peasants walking around naked in the summer is that medieval people had no sense of self, or ego. Everyone but nobles went around with just a single name, with a nickname if they needed further identification, and would just take a surname from their occupation if necessary. He believes that the casual "anything goes" spelling utilized was due to medieval people literally not giving enough of a poo poo about their identity in the mortal world to care. As such, they had so little care for themselves as individuals that they also had no sense of privacy and would go dicks out whenever they felt like it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

He said that "prosperous peasants" lived in a single room in a large building that also included the farm animals' pens and feed storage, and everyone in the family slept on a communal bed of vermin-filled straw and even had sex among everyone else. Travelers who stayed the night would be invited to sleep in the pile.

Meanwhile, the regular peasants slept on the bare dirt and spend 1/3 of their lives in famine so severe that they'd have to sell all their belongings and live naked for a while until they could buy clothes, and travelers, strangers, and execution victims would regularly be cannibalized. He also somehow thinks that dinner was always at 10:00 AM and supper at 5:00 PM despite peasants living entirely outside of time.

This is a rabbit hole worth reviewing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

BA in history and two decades' random reading. Don't worry, you'll get there :)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

xthetenth posted:

That being? I'm not familiar off the top of my head.

It's packaged with a lot of the usual turn-of-the-century German volkisch and agrarian-romantic angst and fear of non-European cultures (even though Spengler loving hated the Nazis) but his central premise is broadly speaking that civilizations have a life cycle and that the final stage before ruin is idiotic decadence and the triumph of demagogues.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'm convinced he learned everything about pre-renaissance times via LPs of Oregon Trail