Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Ok I just saw the 5-6 regeneration.

What the gently caress is up with Peri's accent? Is it my imagination or does she keep shifting between American and English?

She's a British actor who, to appeal to what they thought was the PBS audience, I can only assume, they made out to be American, even forcing her to do her horrible, no-good American accent in public appearances. The bad news is that it never improves, not even in Big Finish stories, and it's a huge, huge roadblock for Nicola Bryant, who honestly is a pretty decent performer who was propped up on the screen as a "Something for the Dads and... I guess Americans??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

They decided to cast a girl from Surrey as an American. An American specifically from BALTIMORE of all places.

....kay.

I'm starting to get the sense that I'm in for some weirdness through 6's and 7's runs.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CommonShore posted:

....kay.

I'm starting to get the sense that I'm in for some weirdness through 6's and 7's runs.

The first serial of Six is almost universally considered to be one of the worst and I don't disagree. The hosed up thing is that both Colin Baker and Nicola Bryant are actually pretty talented, they're just mostly given trash to work with on television. Early on in my time in these threads, I said that Colin was part of the problem, because I hadn't yet heard him do his take on the character for audio. The Six episodes are, I think, the hardest to get through. There's very little that isn't awkward, both companions make you want to scream in different ways, and it's like they decided to take some of the humor from the Tom Baker years and just make it awkward and insufferable.

Once you hit Seven (particularly once Ace comes in), things get a little better, I think.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bicyclops posted:

even forcing her to do her horrible, no-good American accent in public appearances

...why?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That way, nobody would discover the horrible secret...

... the whole Baltimore thing was just an act!!!

*A Mel-like scream*

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Are you saying you don't wish we'd had a series of the Doctor and his evil secret brother the Master adventuring through space and time trying to find their mysterious long-lost father Ulysses?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4c1X5ene8

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

She's a British actor who, to appeal to what they thought was the PBS audience, I can only assume, they made out to be American, even forcing her to do her horrible, no-good American accent in public appearances. The bad news is that it never improves, not even in Big Finish stories, and it's a huge, huge roadblock for Nicola Bryant, who honestly is a pretty decent performer who was propped up on the screen as a "Something for the Dads and... I guess Americans??"

If you've ever seen Blackadder's Christmas Carol, that's Nicola Bryant playing Ebeneezer Blackadder's god-daughter Millicent. I'd only seen her in DW so I couldn't believe it either when I found out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

8pm on Fox Kids, after Vision of Escaflowne, I believe. :allears:

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Bicyclops posted:

She's a British actor who, to appeal to what they thought was the PBS audience, I can only assume, they made out to be American, even forcing her to do her horrible, no-good American accent in public appearances.

This is one of the most JNT-era things I've ever read.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Peri never once referenced Old Bay or referred to Baltimore as "Ball-mer." Immersion ruined. :colbert:

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

all-Rush mixtape posted:

On that note, I had an idea for a ratings-grabber once: the Doctor and the Master both regenerate at the same time, and only they know which is which. We spend a whole series with both traveling in the TARDIS, and in the finale they reveal which one is the Doctor. Does it make sense? Not really, but I have to get this idea out there when/if Chibnall steals my idea.

Wasn't that the plotline behind that dumb kickstarter thing from a few years ago when they wanted to finance a TV show about the adventures of two Gallifreyan teens, one who would be the Doctor and the other the Master but we'd never know who would become which character?

I think Chang Lee was going to be in it (then again he seems to jump on every ill-advised bandwagon)...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh wow, yeah I'd forgotten about that.

Wild Endeavour: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/573935592/who-is-who-a-wild-endeavour-the-pilot-episode

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Christ I forgot all about this, it was one of the stupidest things I'd ever seen and from memory they never answered the one question that immediately jumped to almost everybody's heads - "If this isn't a con*, how are you going to make this without the BBC stomping your faces in?"

Also didn't their previous "successful" Kickstarter to launch a TARDIS satellite never actually get delivered on?

* And that was one gigantic "if".

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 8, 2016

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Shocked it didn't get C&D'd mid-campaign honestly. Wow.

And yes that's a fundamentally stupid idea. Wouldn't you'd need both actors to look like a young William Hartnell for it to work at all?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I guarantee you the Indian actor would have been the Doctor.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

I guarantee you the Indian actor would have been the Doctor.

"Ok so you remember how Romana was able to change her appearance at will that one time? Well what if the Doctor did it to when he found the [insert here] of Rassilon and-"

I bet they would've made Susan not his granddaughter too.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Bicyclops posted:

The first serial of Six is almost universally considered to be one of the worst and I don't disagree. The hosed up thing is that both Colin Baker and Nicola Bryant are actually pretty talented, they're just mostly given trash to work with on television. Early on in my time in these threads, I said that Colin was part of the problem, because I hadn't yet heard him do his take on the character for audio. The Six episodes are, I think, the hardest to get through. There's very little that isn't awkward, both companions make you want to scream in different ways, and it's like they decided to take some of the humor from the Tom Baker years and just make it awkward and insufferable.

Once you hit Seven (particularly once Ace comes in), things get a little better, I think.

I still can't get my head around the cognitive dissonance involved in going from Androzani Episode 4 to Twin Dilemma Episode 1. Has there ever been a more vast difference in quality between two consecutive episodes of a TV show, ever? It's like going from Aliens to Space Mutiny.or something.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

No no no, this is the real version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMpf1D3YohU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I've been going through the series again and reading the excellent write-ups by J-Ru. Just wanted to say thanks again for sharing your excellent work. I'm trying to get my friend into the series and I've promised him some good reading when he gets into it.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Davros1 posted:

I was terrified that the TVM was going to be something along the of Virgin's NAs, so I was greatly relieved that it was actually good!

If a series had been made along the lines of the NAs, every episode would be full of incredibly dated cyberpunk cliches, and every third or fourth one would be good but probably not quite as good when revisited twenty years later.

It has to be said, for all their attempts at edginess and dubiously "adult" material, none of the NAs are as remotely embarrassing as Torchwood.

Apart from the ones written by John Peel.

LordZoric posted:

I never knew those existed thankfully. I've been watching PopArena's reviews of them and :drat: talk about hit or miss. Mostly miss.

The first couple of years of NAs were really rough. No-one quite knew what age range to pitch them at (Children? Adults? Young Adults? Man-Children?), so tonally they're all over the shop. There's a few that are obviously just re-purposed TV ideas, but then a couple of them (I'm looking at you Peel, you dirty old man) feature an overtly-sexualised version of Ace(who is still supposed to be a teenager at this point), presented in a way that suggests the writers in question are typing her scenes one-handed. I do wonder if the decision to age-up the character was because the editors were aware of how potentially dodgy some of the stuff being done with her was.

Paul Cornell's first couple of books set the bar really high, but it took a while for the quality of the rest to catch up.

Maelstache fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 9, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That Ulysses' opening brought me back to my childhood watching stuff like Galaxy Rangers and Sabre Rider and the Star Sheriffs (in the sky!) :allears:

Spikeguy posted:

I've been going through the series again and reading the excellent write-ups by J-Ru. Just wanted to say thanks again for sharing your excellent work. I'm trying to get my friend into the series and I've promised him some good reading when he gets into it.

Well thanks :)

Keep in mind though they were written months or years after initial airing so I do bring up a number of "future" events/moments that might spoil somebody on future episodes they haven't seen!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

That Ulysses' opening brought me back to my childhood watching stuff like Galaxy Rangers and Sabre Rider and the Star Sheriffs (in the sky!) :allears:

No MCOG? For shame

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Maelstache posted:

Paul Cornell's first couple of books set the bar really high, but it took a while for the quality of the rest to catch up.

And that was his first professionally-published, wasn't it? I think he'd had something publisher as the winning entry to a BBC writing contest, but aside from that, his NA books were the first "proper" things he'd done.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

And that was his first professionally-published, wasn't it? I think he'd had something publisher as the winning entry to a BBC writing contest, but aside from that, his NA books were the first "proper" things he'd done.

And much like 50 Shades they were reworked fanfiction

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No MCOG? For shame

What about Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea?

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Wheat Loaf posted:

He'd had some short prose fiction published in DWM, but yeah.

It hasn't aged perfectly (it is very much a "I've got to include everything I've ever wanted to write about" first novel) but Revelation was the first to establish you could pretty much do anything in the context of a DW novel, you didn't just have to produce extended pastiches of TV stories.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No MCOG? For shame

That was one of my favorite shows as a kid and then my mother decided the whole family should go out and have a wonderful day at the beach and form long lasting memories that would warm our hearts for decades to come instead of getting to see the final episode :negative:

It's all easily accessible now, I should probably rewatch it all and see the final episode for the first time again!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Jerusalem posted:

That was one of my favorite shows as a kid and then my mother decided the whole family should go out and have a wonderful day at the beach and form long lasting memories that would warm our hearts for decades to come instead of getting to see the final episode :negative:

Do you actually remember anything that happened that day, though? Because I can't remember poo poo about the family dinner I went to instead of seeing Lady in the Fireplace. And I don't even remember what event made me miss The Stolen Earth.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Doctor Who is the one show my entire family agrees is exempt from the "wait to watch it with all of us" rule.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is anybody reading the Third Doctor miniseries from Titan Comics? The final-panel reveal of Issue #3 is absurd and phenomenal and I cannot wait to see where this is going. We thought we were seeing a 2nd/3rd Doctor team up...but its actually Ramon Salamander!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Holy poo poo you guys weren't kidding about The Twin Dilemma.

When one or two people onscreen seem bad, maybe they're bad actors. When literally everyone on screen seems bad, it's a bad director.

I've listened to a couple of Colin Baker (+ Alex Kingston) audios and there's basically no comparison. He's far more mellow and sensitive in the ones I've checked out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cleretic posted:

Do you actually remember anything that happened that day, though? Because I can't remember poo poo about the family dinner I went to instead of seeing Lady in the Fireplace. And I don't even remember what event made me miss The Stolen Earth.

We swam in the ocean , skimmed sand dollars, buried ourselves in the sand, and then we made filled rolls and ate them up on the grass. Also our dog was there and she went nuts just hoofing it down the beach as fast as she possibly could :3:

Plus we got to get takeout burgers on the way home :hellyeah:

CommonShore posted:

I've listened to a couple of Colin Baker (+ Alex Kingston) audios and there's basically no comparison. He's far more mellow and sensitive in the ones I've checked out.

Big Finish was such a redemption for Colin Baker, because he got to demonstrate just how good of a Doctor he could have been if the show hadn't had EVERYTHING going against it at the time.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Maelstache posted:

The first couple of years of NAs were really rough. No-one quite knew what age range to pitch them at (Children? Adults? Young Adults? Man-Children?), so tonally they're all over the shop. There's a few that are obviously just re-purposed TV ideas, but then a couple of them (I'm looking at you Peel, you dirty old man) feature an overtly-sexualised version of Ace(who is still supposed to be a teenager at this point), presented in a way that suggests the writers in question are typing her scenes one-handed. I do wonder if the decision to age-up the character was because the editors were aware of how potentially dodgy some of the stuff being done with her was.

My first exposure to stuff with the NA tone was Shadow of the Scourge, which tried to emulate the tone of those books. I greatly disliked it and have never given it a re-listen. And I re-listened to Minuet in Hell.

Cornell is great. I'm a big fan of Bernice as a character and even if her Big Finish range can veer into some :catstare: directions I've really enjoyed it. I'm she won the "new companion contest" for the NAs.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
This weekend's Big Finish sale is on UNIT stuff; includes the old stuff with the Brig, Dominion, and the new series.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Found on Twitter...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Found on Twitter...

Seems about right.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

At least he's dedicated to equality.

Exterminating absolutely everyone regardless of species, gender, race, sexual orientation, etc is equality, right? :ohdear:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

He just needs to come up with a snazzy new name for the Dalek extermination ideology. Something with "alt" in front of it.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Bicyclops posted:

Seems about right.

Stop reminding me.

In brighter news, I'm having the most fun doing DWSS this year out of all the people I'm shopping for, mostly because I got someone with very similar interests. So I get to shop for myself without feeling like I'm selfishly spending money.

What did you guys think of UNIT: Silenced? I thought it was a pretty solid use of the villains, though it kinda made The Doctor look like a real prick for not bothering to leave a "Oh btw there were these guys that make you forget they exist..." post it note somewhere at UNIT HQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

He just needs to come up with a snazzy new name for the Dalek extermination ideology. Something with "alt" in front of it.

They should all get those snappy uniforms back so we can see clearly exactly who they are.

• Locked thread