Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Harrow posted:

I really wished that the new Tomb Raider games didn't have in-combat regenerating health. I feel like it undermines the whole "be a tough survivor" aspect. I'm fine with it in Uncharted, because Uncharted is explicitly about fast-paced cinematic action and nobody wants to have to slow down and scrounge for medical supplies on a rollicking Nathan Drake adventure, but Tomb Raider doesn't really sell itself that way. I wouldn't have minded having to craft healing items like in The Last of Us, really.

I haven't played Rise of the Tomb Raider yet, but I did enjoy the first rebooted one despite that.

The harder difficulties in Rise turn off in combat regeneration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

It still really bugs me that they redesigned Lara Croft to be a moe~ ellen paige lookalike so players would feel bad for her and 'want to protect her'. Lara Croft should be kicking people's tookis, not being grossed out by scorpions.

Is she still like that in Rise? In the first game of the reboot she sure seemed like a hardened badass by the end, and it at least made some sense that she was a naive kid at the start because it was her first adventure. If they went back on that in Rise that's kind of a shame.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Do you still randomly find dinosaurs in Tomb Raider games?

That was the poo poo I liked.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Harrow posted:

Is she still like that in Rise? In the first game of the reboot she sure seemed like a hardened badass by the end, and it at least made some sense that she was a naive kid at the start because it was her first adventure. If they went back on that in Rise that's kind of a shame.

I only saw a bit of the start of the game but she spends most of it making scared noises at the things that happen around her.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Harrow posted:

She's not

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aaaaa, a skeleton! This scares me, an archeologist.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

The harder difficulties in Rise turn off in combat regeneration.

Oh cool. Is there any way to heal in-combat by bandaging yourself or something, or is it a "survive this fight" sort of thing?

I actually thought that Tomb Raider 2013 shouldn't have had health regeneration at all, even outside of combat, but I had also just played The Last of Us on hard and was on a "hell yeah, having a persistent health bar in this stealth action game owns" kick.

Lurdiak posted:

I only saw a bit of the start of the game but she spends most of it making scared noises at the things that happen around her.

Well that's dumb as hell.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
My only real complaint about TR 2013 is that all the dialogue is written to ignore any of the optional information you find. I get why they did it that way, but it makes Lara sound like the dumbest moron on the planet. After reading like 30 parts of four different journals by people on the island, in cutscenes she's like "I don't understand, there seems to be some link between Himiko and these rituals, what could it be?"

:doh:

They could have written it so that, if we didn't get any of the optional stuff, the main dialogue filled you in instead of pretending Lara didn't understand what was going on.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Harrow posted:

Well that's dumb as hell.

The game opens with her nearly dying in an avalanche, after that bit she's fine.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's a jump scare involving skeletons near the start I guess then you kill a bear by shooting it in the head with a bow and arrow.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's not just that she gets spooked and yelps all the time, it's in the general way the character is portrayed. She emerges from swiming sections coughing, moaning and gasping for air, instead of doing a somersault out of the water or whatever old school Lara would've done. They deliberately make her seem out of her depth and vulnerable even when she's being competent. It sucks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I hate it when game characters act like real people would.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd guess the point is that they wanted her to seem like an actual person who is tough, rather than an invincible action hero. So she responds to physical strain and pain the way a real person would (at least when she isn't being shot in combat) but powers through it anyway because she's a tough badass. But again, I haven't played Rise, so I don't know if they actually pulled that off.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Lurdiak posted:

Aaaaa, a skeleton! This scares me, an archeologist.

This would only ever make sense if she was working in pathologic research.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's not just that she gets spooked and yelps all the time, it's in the general way the character is portrayed. She emerges from swiming sections coughing, moaning and gasping for air, instead of doing a somersault out of the water or whatever old school Lara would've done. They deliberately make her seem out of her depth and vulnerable even when she's being competent. It sucks.

"A character needs to gasp for breath after being underwater for a long time" is a weird complaint not in the least because it applies to most characters including old school Lara Croft.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

That's lame.

The first Tomb Raider opens with a cutscene of her taking a blowtorch to an elevator cable because she's too cool to ride it like a normal person.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah I hate it when game characters act like real people would.

Let's all be really obtuse because criticism of a game we like is a personal attack.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

But the dinosaurs

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

wasn't she supposed to be new at the whole surviving thing? It would make sense for her not be acting super cool all the time. Course that's totally at odds with you executing 20 sweet headshots in a row minutes later.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I really just need to try to go through Anniversary again.

All the settings in the very first game are fantastic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't care if it "makes sense with this new take on the character" or whatever. The take itself is lame. It's like if they rebooted Duke Nukem into a noodly-armed guy who's constantly screaming in terror at the aliens attacking him.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

She's badass in Rise

There was an enemy encounter where I killed 2 guys with a grenade arrow and a soldier yells 'she's here!' and she's like 'YOU loving BET I AM' (she probably didn't say loving but that's how I remember it)

Lurdiak posted:

Let's all be really obtuse because criticism of a game we like is a personal attack.

you haven't played it though

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

But the dinosaurs

Please tell me you can fight a T-Rex in Rise.

That's the dumbest thing that fell by the wayside in the overly long franchise.

The first 3 (aka the best ones) all had a T-Rex. 1 and 3 had whole dedicated "lost world" areas. They were awesome. I kind of miss the globe trotting of the original games. The news one seem to take place in just one area.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

you haven't played it though

I don't need to play it to be right about it.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Lurdiak posted:

It's bad criticism, like 'why did this tree that I hit stop my car from driving in V-Rally' bad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lurdiak posted:

And I'm the obtuse one

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lets hang out posted:

wasn't she supposed to be new at the whole surviving thing? It would make sense for her not be acting super cool all the time. Course that's totally at odds with you executing 20 sweet headshots in a row minutes later.

True, but that's pretty standard at this point. In cutscenes Nathan Drake doesn't seem nearly as good at fighting as he is when the player controls him but eh, you get used to it. I swore off arguing about ludonarrative dissonance years ago.

Lurdiak posted:

I don't care if it "makes sense with this new take on the character" or whatever. The take itself is lame. It's like if they rebooted Duke Nukem into a noodly-armed guy who's constantly screaming in terror at the aliens attacking him.

I don't know that I agree that it's a lame take, I guess. I like the idea of a video game character who does all the video game badass things but actually acts like she feels pain, gets tired, has to gasp for air after being underwater for a long time, etc. It gets across that she really is going through something difficult and that's she's mortal, and it makes it even cooler that she's doing those things because it's clear that they're not easy for a human to do. I'd have an issue with it if she, like, gave up and some guy had to pick her up and carry her the rest of the way, or whines about it and just wants to go home or something, or if other characters around her go through the same things and shrug them off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's not really a sensible criticism is the thing.

PS1 characters barely had body language. Complaining that a modern character doesn't have the same body language as a PS1 character is silly. You can certainly complain that she's not portrayed as confident and enjoying her adventure (which honestly she isn't and I think that sucks) but things like "gasping for breathing after coming up for air" are omnipresent unless you're talking about a super soldier or something and even then the odds are pretty good it'll happen there too.

I do wish you had more games about confident characters who enjoy their adventures and are having fun, mind, and I think it's disappointing the new Tomb Raider is about murdering a hundred people per second when the original Tomb Raider had 5 human enemies in the entire game.

Lurdiak posted:

Oh, you're just being a poo poo. Nevermind.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Healbot posted:

It's bad criticism, like 'why did this tree that I hit stop my car from driving in V-Rally' bad.

It's absolutely not bad criticism. The devs themselves have repeatedly said they made a deliberate effort to make Lara seem more vulnerable and out of her depth with the reboot, and she still acts and looks largely the same in this one. It's fine if you don't think this is a problem, but me pointing out this obvious fact about the game isn't incorrect just because you think it's a good game.

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, you're just being a poo poo. Nevermind.

Oh, this from you.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

in the new game Lara takes a woman hostage at gunpoint before blowing the floor out of a tower

She's got poo poo well in hand in the new game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Oh, this from you.

Yes, this from me. I'm not the one making a bunch of snide comments about a game I haven't played. I assumed you were actually discussing something and not just making lovely comments for no reason.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The body language that I really hate in TR 2013 is when she loots a chest in a tomb. It's like, the worst looking thing ever. It's all awkward and clumsy, and she has the dumbest look on her face like :o: TREASUR!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snak posted:

The body language that I really hate in TR 2013 is when she loots a chest in a tomb. It's like, the worst looking thing ever. It's all awkward and clumsy, and she has the dumbest look on her face like :o: TREASUR!

To be fair I'd be goddamn shocked when I open a treasure chest in an abandoned tomb and it contains modern gun parts.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I just don't really like third person shooters and the things I liked about the older games had nothing to do with fighting other people.

Finding a statue of Midas' hand and then immediately swan diving into it just to get a gruesome scene of her being transformed into a golden statue, or coming into a coliseum filled with apes and alligators was cool.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair I'd be goddamn shocked when I open a treasure chest in an abandoned tomb and it contains modern gun parts.

It doesn't matter what it is. It's like the god drat light bulb in Pulp Fiction.

edit: ^ that's true too. I think that TR 2013 should have about 1/4 the number of enemies that it does.

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 9, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, this from me. I'm not the one making a bunch of snide comments about a game I haven't played. I assumed you were actually discussing something and not just making lovely comments for no reason.

I'm not "making snide comments" I'm making observations about the visual language the game uses. Me dismissing the idea that I need to have played it to comment on how the game looks and generally portrays its main character doesn't equate to "making lovely comments", and considering how you're basically a full-time contrarian it's really not something I need to hear from you.

I long for the day when I can comment on something I don't like about a game in this thread without people flipping their poo poo and trying to attack my character, but I guess society hasn't gotten there yet.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

It's cool in Rise since you usually secret ancient techniques that are somehow super useful against people with guns.
Or bow parts.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not "making snide comments" I'm making observations about the visual language the game uses. Me dismissing the idea that I need to have played it to comment on how the game looks and generally portrays its main character doesn't equate to "making lovely comments", and considering how you're basically a full-time contrarian it's really not something I need to hear from you.

I long for the day when I can comment on something I don't like about a game in this thread without people flipping their poo poo and trying to attack my character, but I guess society hasn't gotten there yet.

that would be like me saying your posting is bad without me reading your posts

oh, wait

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe you should stop digging and take whatever meds you've been skipping lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

I just don't really like third person shooters and the things I liked about the older games had nothing to do with fighting other people.

Finding a statue of Midas' hand and then immediately swan diving into it just to get a gruesome scene of her being transformed into a golden statue, or coming into a coliseum filled with apes and alligators was cool.

The new Tomb Raider really doesn't do a good job with that sense of mythology and discovery, yeah. In the old games it was more... fanciful by default? T-Rexes were just a thing you could discover, magic and mystery were around every corner, it was a strange bizarre world. The new one is more "There's magic but it's honestly kind of low-key and hidden in the center of an otherwise mundane normal world."

Lurdiak posted:

You needing to play the game to actually discuss the body language is pretty relevant, yes, because you're not actually discussing the actual game but what you imagine the game is like.

Like you're insisting the game is a certain way and when people who've played the game tell you that you're wrong you get snippy and insist people are being mean to you.

• Locked thread