Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
HAIL SATAN

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

By your deeds you honor him

HI BRADY

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
HAIL BRADY

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJXKVOxqkWM

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

HAIL BRADY!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Literally yelling gently caress YEAH right with you watching the video, bud. What an incredible journey. Fuckin' Witnessed. AI is a goddamn jewel.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
This is the poo poo right here.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
My god the poo poo-eating grin when you turn to the camera

Well done, black thumb.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

wildemere posted:

Have you thought about using pipe or tube steel as extensions for the steering box.

Save fabbing up a bracket.

Just longer hardware through the tubes.

The thought we're having right now is to take some 1.5 inch x 6 inch heavy c channel and then using bolts to go clear through to the frame on one side. It's only two but hopefully enough to not side shear?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

wildemere posted:

Have you thought about using pipe or tube steel as extensions for the steering box.

Save fabbing up a bracket.

Just longer hardware through the tubes.

that could fatigue and break off in the middle of bfe. If you plated the outer side over the tube and brought it back to the frame you'd be ok.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Awesome job!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My penis, it is SO ERECT RIGHT NOW

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

djdanno13 posted:

The thought we're having right now is to take some 1.5 inch x 6 inch heavy c channel and then using bolts to go clear through to the frame on one side. It's only two but hopefully enough to not side shear?

Do you really need to go all the way through the frame? 2 bolts should work but it'd be better if they only had to pass through one wall (assuming boxed framerails). Is there no way to bolt the c-channel to the existing mounting point?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Godspeed you Black-Thumbed Emperor!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

djdanno13 posted:

It looks to me like there are two bolts into the vertical face of the frame and at least one, maybe two on the top. C channel frame.

Having run a steering box with only two bolts once, don't do it. I know this is not the answer you want, but, welp. Also, my gut is telling me it's gonna need more than 1.5" spacing to clear that header, and you'll have to either trim the hole in the firewall to move the whole shebang over (since it's a rigid steering column+box assembly, rather than having ujoints in the intermediate shaft...) or make the spacer somewhat trapezoidal so that it points the steering column through the same hole it came out of, but that will result in a fucky steering wheel placement. What a pain in the rear end.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
GOD. drat. IT.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
gently caress! Someone stole the truck! Your smokes were in that truck!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sooo, those bajillion year old tires, rock hard frozen, haven't just exploded the instant you started moving? Impressive.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Something permanently changes in a man the first time he takes a vehicle with no heart and resurrects it with a junker 350. Your journey was no standard backyard engine swap. You flogged a dying steed halfway across the continent before sacrificing it on the altar of fire and blood to birth a small-block powered dump truck for a stranger from the internet. Your journey is far from over, but you have accomplished something truly great. I look forward to auctioning the piston I bought from the original dumptruck engine to a wealthy goon so we can forward the cash on to your next project/adventure. Hopefully something equally weird.

:perfect:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

A new TV series next fall, starring 14 Bar Riff: "Have Wrench, Will Travel"

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

What's going on in that photo? Pining about a dusting?

As best I can tell, the truck wasn't anywhere that would be in the background of that photo- the van isn't in the pic, and the van was gutted right nest to the dump truck.

IDGI :iiam:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

glyph posted:

What's going on in that photo? Pining about a dusting?

As best I can tell, the truck wasn't anywhere that would be in the background of that photo- the van isn't in the pic, and the van was gutted right nest to the dump truck.

IDGI :iiam:

He'll have to slide around on his back in the snow and get all wet and cold. Most people consider that "not fun."

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Deteriorata posted:

He'll have to slide around on his back in the snow and get all wet and cold. Most people consider that "not fun."

It's also super sweet when you have bits of rust falling into your eyes/mouth/nose at the same time!

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Not a single member of this forum is more qualified to wear that Black Thumbs beanie that you.

I am so glad you're not wrenching flat rate for people who couldn't give a poo poo about you. This is better. So much better.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
More truckfession time

https://youtu.be/r2oXtm_pMbQ

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Ah, just what I'd thought. I was confused by the posts assuming the truck had moved under its own power.

That said, I have faith in '14. After all he's the one who posted [paraphrased] "it's raining, I can finally get some work done :v:"

e:

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Finally raining in Valentine I can get some loving work done

glyph fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 9, 2016

Frankenstein
Jul 29, 2005

A well deserved congratulations to you 14" and company.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

CornHolio posted:

My penis, it is SO ERECT RIGHT NOW

Hail Brady

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
PRE CHECK! OIL FILTER ON. PAN BOLTED. DIPSTICK IN... NOW. CAP ON. ENGAGE TO AUX. FUEL ON AND PRIME. START UP CHECK! TURN KEY TO FULL. ENGINE CRANKS. OIL PRESSURE GOOD. BATTERY GOOD. HI BRADY. HAIL SATAN! WE HAVE LIFT OFF.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
gently caress yeah. 2016 has almost redeemed itself.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

If and when 14 gets back to Seattle I am going to start leaving boxes of Franzia by the dumpster at the Ballard O'Reilly for him to discover.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

So we really need ai help on this one. Online sources talk about moving the steering box over a max of 1.5 inches. Apparently they were using different headers however and the closest we can set the box right now is 3 inches which is literally touching the header. Take a look at the included pics but the biggest issue by far is the angle on that pitman arm. It's maxed out. Short of getting a new manifold does anyone have any ideas? This is like project ending type poo poo right here so we really need all brain power on this one. Thanks guys.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

djdanno13 posted:

So we really need ai help on this one. Online sources talk about moving the steering box over a max of 1.5 inches. Apparently they were using different headers however and the closest we can set the box right now is 3 inches which is literally touching the header. Take a look at the included pics but the biggest issue by far is the angle on that pitman arm. It's maxed out. Short of getting a new manifold does anyone have any ideas? This is like project ending type poo poo right here so we really need all brain power on this one. Thanks guys.

Bash those headers in.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
So I take it that the suggestion to point the headers straight up and put the hood in the bed for the trip was not well received? It's not like this motor is going to be the permanent occupant of the engine bay, so making it a bit impractical for the few days it's in transit doesn't seem like a huge problem, and seems better than messing with the rest of the truck (the steering in this case) too much.

Although, I guess you'll have to solve this problem eventually, since Sims is planning to go bigger (there was talk of a BBC at one point earlier?) in the future.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
L shaped or cantilevered steering box arm? Or step it in by cutting it and welding it so it sits back more? So you can space the steering box out to clear the header, but have the arm cut over back inwards.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Yeah, what kind of fabrication equipment is available?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Also, what about a cast iron log manifold? That might stay high enough, and if it doesn't, you can get two passenger side manifolds and flip one for the driver's side, send it around the front of the motor like a Y-block. Not like you're lacking in engine bay space. Might be worth going to the JY and seeing what you can scrounge from random factory truck manifolds. I'm sure there is no dearth of SBCs in pickups in pick-n-pulls.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That wiring is making me twitch but if it makes it to Florida it's good. I strongly recommend (from experience) putting something over the sharp edges of the firewall to prevent it from chafing through the cables and causing an electrical fire though.

Putting the headers on upside down also did not clear the steering rack IIRC. Might as well try it again though? I dunno.

I would consider heating that steering link and bending it, maybe, but I don't know how replaceable it is.

The angle on the steering box + column is making me worried, it really looks like you're gonna need a trapezoidal spacer or to cut a hole in the firewall, neither of which is acceptable IMO (but this is Sims truck and not mine, so he should give the answer on that.)

e: cast iron log manifolds I assume collide with something, but if one upside down on the driver side fits, maybe rock it... and feed it straight into a turbo

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 9, 2016

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Specifically, this part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azPKIjxmmdU&t=646s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Can you take that arm from the box and flip it?

• Locked thread