Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If I pick Ana and then my teammates slampick Hanzo and Widowmaker and the game tells us there are too many snipers, what should I do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

w00tmonger posted:

Am I gonna get a lot of flak if i just sit down and master hanzo? Really like his toolkit and Ive played a fuckton of tribes and tf2 as a sniper with a bow.

Follow your dreams, he's really fun and rewarding to play. If anyone ever tells you to switch to a tank or healer they don't know how to play the game and can be safely ignored

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If I pick Ana and then my teammates slampick Hanzo and Widowmaker and the game tells us there are too many snipers, what should I do

Do whatever the gently caress you want. It's not like your team gives a poo poo either. They should be lucky they even have a healer.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I wish they'd remove Ana from that warning since usually even bad tier doesn't have players who are trying to primarily combat snipe with Ana. If anything people play Zen like a healer sniper (although that usually works out).

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Rick posted:

I wish they'd remove Ana from that warning since usually even bad tier doesn't have players who are trying to primarily combat snipe with Ana. If anything people play Zen like a healer sniper (although that usually works out).
Seriously - no one plays Ana as a sniper, and she shouldn't be classed as such.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Lately, I can't seem to get 1-shot kills with hog anymore. Have they changed his hook in the last patch? I decided to go on a hog binge the past week or so and it feels so much less potent than before. It might just be me, hook angles, and aiming too low though and not hitting enough pellets on their head.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DrSeRRoD posted:

Lately, I can't seem to get 1-shot kills with hog anymore. Have they changed his hook in the last patch? I decided to go on a hog binge the past week or so and it feels so much less potent than before. It might just be me, hook angles, and aiming too low though and not hitting enough pellets on their head.

Try aiming a little lower, I've noticed "headshot" zone is like the enemy's chest these days.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

DrSeRRoD posted:

I've noticed that targets being healed by Mercy have drastically lowered OHK rates for some reason, simple 200HP classes surviving with 25+ health only when mercy is beaming them.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
She instantly heal can up a good bit of the ~30 hook damage while your enemy is getting pulled, so that's probably where the discrepancy is coming from; you aren't getting enough damage off in the shot/melee. Try to work on hitting more pellets/leading with m2 etc!

e: speaking of, you can do the 'turn 90 degrees to the side while they're being pulled, turn back' thing to keep them in a consistent spot when they arrive, but that's adding a layer of mechanics that might not be worth it yet. Esp. if something weird is actually going on with head hitboxes, that'd help you learn the right placement w/o having to deal as much with targets being offset various amounts.

foutre fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 9, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

DrSeRRoD posted:

they didn't change anything about him I don't think. I've been having trouble with it as well (specifically against hanzo for w/e reason), but that's just because I've not played much recently

there haven't been any patch notes about changing roadhog's damage or spread so honestly it's just you loving up the hit; it happens. try walking forward as you hook someone and hitting them with the melee after the shot connects

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
That "top 5 techs" youtube guy says to crouch and fire with RH to make it a lot easier to hit lucio, sombra, and ana, and that aiming lower can make you miss pellets. Makes sense, if you are looking down on them from above there's less of a silhouette than looking at them straight on from their chest height.

Personally I've found myself getting hosed by terrain on the ground by my feet pushing my hook targets to the side right as they come up to me. I don't know if that is new because I never played that much RH.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

look up harbleu on youtube if you want good roadhog tips. he's the best roadhog in na and has some videos about how to play him

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Last match I played, a grown man screamed down the mic and started crying because someone called him a poo poo mercy.

The 3400-3500 climb is clearly the breaking point for many people.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

dogstile posted:

Last match I played, a grown man screamed down the mic and started crying because someone called him a poo poo mercy.
You said that was our secret!

I am yet to witness actual tears, I did see an adult and what sounded a lot like a 10 year old get into a long argument that was basically "you're bad" "I know
you are, but what am I?" for the duration of a 6-5 loss on Anubis. That was a bad game.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
This is why you always mute voice chat, even in competitive.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

gnome7 posted:

Please stay in QP, thanks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Wow, playing Overwatch at an FPS higher than 30 is pretty different

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Wow, playing Overwatch at an FPS higher than 30 is pretty different

Playing the game at half the speed must have made it very forgiving.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Learn to foot salt arrow the right targets and walls. Deleting a mercy or Lucio from a fight ruins people's days. Genji and Pharah are your biggest annoyances. Dva will be until you figure out how to get them to waste thier matrix. Winston will kill you if you let him land on you. If he misses you'll win. Widowmaker requires you to on the fly figure out if they are slower against right or left movement to kill them.

Head on dragons rarely works. You get more kills from it by shooting them into the enemy retreat line if your team is counter pushing. Get a wolf Hanzo skin. It's an automatic +5 percent accuracy.

Play with music low enough that you can hear footsteps. Area awareness is key to you ambushing and counter ambushing

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ragequit posted:

I can spin 360 in about 4-5 inches, and ended up rank 2800 last season, so play with whatever works for you.

:lol: That terrible sensitivity is probably a big reason why you're not higher. Try for 10-12 inches for much better aiming. Also, use your arm to move your mouse, not your wrist. Lift your lazy arm off the desk and sit up with good posture.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 9, 2016

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Bacontotem posted:

Widowmaker requires you to on the fly figure out if they are slower against right or left movement to kill them.

Que? What does this mean?

KoB
May 1, 2009
This season I ranked (24XX) just under my last season rank (25XX) and have already gotten to a new career high of 26-something. Maybe blizzard actually knocked down all the people who shouldnt have been in Plat because matches have been way nicer this season. Ive been mostly winning, teams are talkative, generally all nice dudes.

Its been really surprising how much Comp has been fun this season.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

gnome7 posted:

You're the guy who plays a tank and runs off one way while everyone else plans to go the other direction :-/

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

gnome7 posted:

Don't play comp if you're not going to be in team chat.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

:lol: That terrible sensitivity is probably a big reason why you're not higher. Try for 10-12 inches for much better aiming. Also, use your arm to move your mouse, not your wrist. Lift your lazy arm off the desk and sit up with good posture.

Alternatively, the non-smug rear end in a top hat answer is: "Play however you feel most comfortable."

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

The only thing preventing me from buying FF15 is how good the Christmas skins are.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Bottom Liner posted:

Who the gently caress cares I'm 3500 with 3.5cm/360 wrist aiming.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

^burtle posted:

The only thing preventing me from buying FF15 is how good the Christmas skins are.

Have they shown them somewhere?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Kashuno posted:

Have they shown them somewhere?

Nope, hence my waiting. :(

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

you're joking right

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

frajaq posted:

you're joking right

Why would I be joking? Comp is for making a serious effort to win. It's a team game, if you can't stand to cooperate with strangers, play something else or get a six-stack.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Elliotw2 posted:

Who the gently caress cares I'm 3500 with 3.5cm/360 wrist aiming.

love 2 sweep my arm 3 feet across my desk knocking all my dumbass funko pops and skylanders figs and poo poo all over the place scaring my 13 cats

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Out of curiosity, I joined voice chat in all of my games today where i previously did not, and most games was mostly silence from my team with the odd call of location for an enemy hero. Nothing world-beating and certainly nothing necessary.

I mainly used it for ice-breaking or morale, because when you randomly ult nothing because you fat fingered your keyboard, people get tense but nothing adds a bit of levity like laughing about it over voice chat instead.

incidentally i had a good ranked day today and have somehow made it back to 2800~ SR. Can't tell if it's just a lucky day or if I've genuinely improved my Lucio play.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

love 2 sweep my arm 3 feet across my desk knocking all my dumbass funko pops and skylanders figs and poo poo all over the place scaring my 13 cats

You need to lower your sensitivity if you're only sliding across a single desk

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Out of curiosity, I joined voice chat in all of my games today where i previously did not, and most games was mostly silence from my team with the odd call of location for an enemy hero. Nothing world-beating and certainly nothing necessary.

The next step after "be in voice chat" is "use voice chat." If you start talking other people will join in once they realize someone else went first.

The ability to coordinate ults alone is a staggering advantage.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The next step after "be in voice chat" is "use voice chat." If you start talking other people will join in once they realize someone else went first.

I believe you, but I'm too awkward to start the proceedings.

people sure are a lot nicer on voice chat though, probably something to do with hearing an actual human voice instead of detached always-angry-sounding text

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also if you're playing support you can call out when you're getting dived, when you hear flanker footsteps, stuff that makes a huge difference. That's before even getting into more coordinated things like target calling.

I have noticed though that the amount of chatter has significantly decreased as people have gotten better (and more efficient with their communication). Which isn't a bad thing or a reason not to be in the team chat channel.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The higher you get in rankings the more crucial team chat becomes. It's one of the biggest differences in silver and master leagues.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Yesterday Luckdemon solo'd me using a Mercy pistol while I uselessly plinked arrows at with him a run-up of about 50 meters and he uses 10 billion dpi and 500 sensitivity. If he sneezes his characters do 5 360's and somehow he still functions. Play what you want imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I've never spent a single second in voice chat with randoms in competitive and I never will, if you wanna try and throw me in jail then I say bring it.