Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Dexo posted:

It warms my heart so much to see that the Cardinals have to overpay players to go play for them nowadays.

I'm not sure that's what it was to be honest. Fowler wanted 18m a year and got 16.5m. The Cardinals really, really, really wanted an ATHLETIC (black) outfielder and didn't want to trade the farm to get one.

I'm just glad the Cardinals finally spent some god damned money.

Edit: And I know the Cubs just won the WS and all, and congratulations (I don't think I have said that yet), but if you want to talk about overpaying, you essentially gave Jason Heyward 3/80.

"Even going through our (Cubs World Series) parade, you see Cardinals fans out there." - Dexter Fowler

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I think the deal's an overpay but they have money to spend, the payroll's likely going to be smaller next year than last and even smaller the year after unless they start spending. Better to spend money than prospects at this point, though I'm sure I'll feel differently if/when they fail to land a free agent by $5M annually or so. If Dexter can play decent CF for 2 years and then a solid corner spot for 2 assuming Bader or some other prospect can make it at center, I won't mind too much if he's a pumpkin in the final year.

I also don't think the Cardinals are going to be terrible at any given point. Too much of the team is young, talented and cost-controlled. Carpenter just did hit 31, then you have Piscotty, Diaz, Martinez and Reyes as a good young core. I also still think Wong has a huge ceiling and want to see a full season of him and Diaz together. The Cubs have more position player talent but I think the Cardinals are still solid WC contenders every year, maybe threatening for the division if the Cubs don't find some way to maintain their pitching staff long-term.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I like Wong and he was perfectly fine from July onward last season (773 OPS). His double play turns are glorious to watch. As long as the starters don't poo poo the bed again (minus C-Mart), the Cardinals will probably be A Good Team.

Really wondering what we are doing with our bench this season though. Fat Adams literally is entirely worthless if Carp has made the move to first and no more Brandon Moss. I feel like Jhonny doesn't really have a place either unless he miraculously starts hitting. A Pham, Garcia, Peralta bench is kind of horrible.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I like Wong and he was perfectly fine from July onward last season (773 OPS). His double play turns are glorious to watch. As long as the starters don't poo poo the bed again (minus C-Mart), the Cardinals will probably be A Good Team.

Really wondering what we are doing with our bench this season though. Fat Adams literally is entirely worthless if Carp has made the move to first and no more Brandon Moss. I feel like Jhonny doesn't really have a place either unless he miraculously starts hitting. A Pham, Garcia, Peralta bench is kind of horrible.

if only the cardinals can find some minor league guys with weird elf names who come out of nowhere and OPS .850 for once

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

R.D. Mangles posted:

if only the cardinals can find some minor league guys with weird elf names who come out of nowhere and OPS .850 for once

Looking forward to more guys with names like Mitchell Fanpatty or David Aerochuck.

The Cardinals have the best worst names in baseball.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Maybe the Cards can turn Austin Wilson into a man-beast like Stanton.

A man can dream.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Fewer fingers makes you a better pitcher, as evidenced by comparing the careers of Mordecai Brown and Antonio Alfonseca.
Alfonseca had extra fingers. His nickname was
'El Pulpo' (the octopus)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

FlamingLiberal posted:

'El Pulpo' (the octopus)

That was the point, yes

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Your Taint posted:

The first batter of the 2016 Cubs season was Dexter Fowler, and he could be the first batter we face in 2017.

lol if you think Matheny isn't going to keep Matt Carpenter there

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

FlamingLiberal posted:

'El Pulpo' (the octopus)

That's a great nickname.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
If you are ever at a tapas place and have an opportunity to order pulpo do yourself a favor and pull that trigger.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

This sucks, I didn't expect him to go to St Louis for some reason. It's lovely that he didn't even really want to go there it seems, and Cardinal fans bitching about getting him makes it even worse.

edit: It's also funny to see Cardinal fans still talking about overpaying Heyward when St Louis offered him a similar deal and just lost out. Not like they just let him walk. In fact, didn't they offer him more and fans were pissed he picked the Cubs anyway? lol.

beejay fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 9, 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Mike_V posted:

lol if you think Matheny isn't going to keep Matt Carpenter there

Apparently Carpenter's going to bat third?

beejay posted:

This sucks, I didn't expect him to go to St Louis for some reason. It's lovely that he didn't even really want to go there it seems, and Cardinal fans bitching about getting him makes it even worse.

I'm happy to have him!

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Yeah reddit and Twitter people are freaking out. But what can you expect.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I don't know who is bitching about him. I said I wasn't high on him (because after his first two extremely good months, he reverted to below career average,). I'm glad the Cardinals got him, though!

It's a position the Cardinals needed, and maybe I am just trying to downplay my expectations of him in hopes that he will be very good. And I am also extremely glad we didn't trade the farm for anything. If people are mad about the money, whatever. Thanks half-billionaire owners for splurging a bit.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Soul Glo posted:

Apparently Carpenter's going to bat third

Who's second? Aledmys or Biscuits?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

beejay posted:

edit: It's also funny to see Cardinal fans still talking about overpaying Heyward when St Louis offered him a similar deal and just lost out. Not like they just let him walk. In fact, didn't they offer him more and fans were pissed he picked the Cubs anyway? lol.

Didn't the Cubs offer him more term and an option?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Looks like it was more guaranteed money with the Cardinals but more per year earlier with the Cubs, plus the opt-out. Either way, people really shouldn't be acting like the Cards knew Heyward was not going to be very good so they just let him go to trick them stupid Cubbies.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
3/80 with an option to possibly make an even greater amount of guaranteed money after that if you play well (and having a fallback option of 5/105) is an extremely good contract for a player and nothing close to what the Cardinals offered. A lot of people really underrate player options. They are absurdly good, for the player.

I wanted Heyward no doubt. But don't act like he chose less money to leave STL or something. That contract is amazing for Heyward.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Whatever :rolleyes:

Keep arguing the details and not the point

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/DexterFowler/status/807283185453146112

This hurts so much.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
^^ I have no idea who is in your avatar but good avatar/post combo.

Pancakes posted:

Who's second? Aledmys or Biscuits?

Probably Fowler-Diaz-Carp-Piscotty

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 9, 2016

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

His tweet says he's happy but his eyes cry in pain

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Dex :smith:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It looks like he's in just as much pain

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

"Just think about that sweet $80m."

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/status/807257362134343680

Matheny about to ask Fowler if he has heard the good news of our lord savior.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

#trader

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Pretty sure Fowler is a devout Christian so he fits right in :v:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
a christian? in MY mlb???

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Perhaps we had it wrong the whole time, Fowler went to the Cardinals because of Matheny.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Pretty sure Fowler is a devout Christian so he fits right in :v:

A vocal Christian from Georgia on the Cardinals? We certainly don't want any of THOSE.

I hope Dex and Waino become buddies.

E: Hostage video released. https://youtube.com/watch?v=WW21vzRDVzc

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 9, 2016

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

On a non Dex but still Chicago related topic: the Disco Sucks! riot at Komensky the subject of a Drunken History episode: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bob-odenkirk-recalls-disco-demolition-night-on-drunk-history-231352590.html I remember being at a friends for an Atari and baseball sleepover, and getting seriously pissed when it was clear the second game would never start (although we laughed at the wanton destruction)

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Bilirubin posted:

On a non Dex but still Chicago related topic: the Disco Sucks! riot at Komensky the subject of a Drunken History episode: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bob-odenkirk-recalls-disco-demolition-night-on-drunk-history-231352590.html I remember being at a friends for an Atari and baseball sleepover, and getting seriously pissed when it was clear the second game would never start (although we laughed at the wanton destruction)

My girlfriend's dad, as Bridgeport a guy as you'll ever meet, was there. He claims he didn't go on the field but I'm skeptical. The Drunk History featured Patton Oswalt as the demolitions guy.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
That was an entertaining video and made me remember how absurd that promotion was. Ten Cent Beer night was another great promotion.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Popete posted:

https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/status/807257362134343680

Matheny about to ask Fowler if he has heard the good news of our lord savior.

i can't imagine how pissed off this would make me if the cubs didn't win the world series and become the Champions of Base Ball

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

i can't imagine how pissed off this would make me if the cubs didn't win the world series and become the Champions of Base Ball

If Dexter Fowler loves winning so much why did he leave the winningest team???

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Pretty messed up that Dexter Fowler's agents forced him at gunpoint to sign with the Cardinals

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

If Dexter Fowler loves winning so much why did he leave the winningest team???

Probably because they didn't offer him 5/82 :v:

Like seriously I know I keep bringing it up but that's some mad dosh and I cannot even be remotely angry at him for taking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Pussy Boss posted:

Pretty messed up that Dexter Fowler's agents forced him at gunpoint to sign with the Cardinals

Agreed, we should probably disband the Cardinals.

and give Dexter back to the Cubs.

• Locked thread