Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

https://twitter.com/kubo_3260/status/806843079244201985

"People in the real world can think of YOI as they will, but in YOI's world, there's no such thing as discrimination for loving something"
"I will most certainly defend this world, and this world alone"

An interesting thread on that - click on the link to see everything:

https://twitter.com/good_haro/status/806863833256038400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I can't believe how fast my feelings on Chris changed in one episode.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Dzhay posted:

1) Chris is fuckin' weird.
2) see 1)

Someone less on a phone than me post the Chris face from the restaurant scene, it's priceless.

This one?

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I love him!

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

That one.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Celery Jello posted:

I want to know two things:

1) Why does Chris make duck face all the time
2) Why is Chris' dub VO so fuckin' weird

I haven't heard the dub before this post but wow, holy poo poo. He sounds like a phone sex operator.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Tender Child Loins posted:

I haven't heard the dub before this post but wow, holy poo poo. He sounds like a phone sex operator.

with no context, that sounds perfect for him

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
Bless this fandom and all of the new stripper pole fanart.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gibbering posted:

Bless this fandom and all of the new stripper pole fanart.

Why was there a stripper pole at the fancy gala?

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

The_Doctor posted:

Why was there a stripper pole at the fancy gala?

My headcanon is that Chris had it with him and it's just one of those extendable ones.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

For that matter, who taught Yuuri how to pole dance. Those moves don't come from nowhere.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gibbering posted:

For that matter, who taught Yuuri how to pole dance. Those moves don't come from nowhere.

He went to college in Detroit, American universities are ridiculously expensive for foreigners.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

He went to college in Detroit, American universities are ridiculously expensive for foreigners.

I read Yuri took a break from a JPN college to train at Detroit for the Grand Prix Finale. He didn't actually attend college there.

Rynyin
Feb 10, 2006

H.Y.C.Y.BH?

They make portable stage poles that you can set up in places that don't have the rigging set up for ceiling mounts. They aren't easy to transport by yourself but it seems like exactly the sort of thing Chris would just happen to have on hand. They clearly did their homework on a lot of the poses, Chris is pulling of some pretty technical moves.

I love pole dance and YOI and i'm pleased as punch I got to see them together.

Gibbering posted:

I'm probably putting a lot more thought into what was mostly and ED gag, but Yuuri is definitely doing easier moves than the stuff Chris is showing off. The Superman (first pose) is pretty tough for a newbie but that's mostly due to skin training and pain from having your inner thighs gripping metal which being drunk would probably help with. Some of the hardest things for beginners learning how to pole dance is strength and body awareness so It's pretty feasible for a male figure skater to be pretty good at his first pole outing.

Rynyin fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 8, 2016

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

To pay for his coaching fees then?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lol noone likes jj

hets get out reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

This is the best anime. :kimchi:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Phobophilia posted:

lol noone likes jj

hets get out reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

the shift from 'omg the sweet ice gays are getting married' to 'no one cares about you and your wife loser' was pretty much the most perfect thing.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Me, thanks to YoI:

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
I like JJ :smith: But then I'm contractually obligated to like all of Mamo's characters so.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
JJ is my special boy and I hope he wins.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

https://twitter.com/amelin_art/status/806975460546637824

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

It's time for the GPF!
(Sorry for not getting this up in time for yesterday's events, I had a lot going on.)

Yesterday's rankings in MENS (SP):
1. Yuzuru Hanyu (JPN)
2. Patrick Chan (CAN)
3. Javier Fernandez (ESP)
4. Shoma Uno (JPN)
5. Nathan Chen (USA)
6. Adam Rippon (USA)

It was a horrible day for the men. Only two of them didn't fall and Yuzuru just barely saved his first quad. There's a pretty massive point spread, so don't expect anyone to catch up unless the leaders fall in the FS.

Does anyone care about pairs? They did their SP yesterday, so I can edit the information in later if someone wants it.

Today we get the WOMENS (SP), ICE DANCING (SP) :woop: :woop: and PAIRS (FS).
Click HERE for information on the times and how to watch. Remember to convert to your own time zone!

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Seeing mention of pairs reminds me, I think I asked this before but never found an answer - does pairs skating allow same-gender pairs or does it require mixed-gender pairs?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Seems to be strictly mixed-gender, at least at the professional level.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Helter Skelter posted:

Seems to be strictly mixed-gender, at least at the professional level.

That's bullshit

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I'm assuming based on the fact that the jumps in the men's and women's are at different levels (quads especially) that it may have something to do with "unfair advantages", then. I could actually see the argument in both directions - the women would be lighter and therefore easier to lift, while a pair of men would both be harder to lift but also potentially be able to do better lifts because of extra strength.

Completely talking out of my rear end here, though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Celery Jello posted:

I'm assuming based on the fact that the jumps in the men's and women's are at different levels (quads especially) that it may have something to do with "unfair advantages", then. I could actually see the argument in both directions - the women would be lighter and therefore easier to lift, while a pair of men would both be harder to lift but also potentially be able to do better lifts because of extra strength.

Completely talking out of my rear end here, though.

yea I'm also mostly out of my rear end but I think for that to work they'd have to just straight up have different brackets of 'mixed gender pairs' and 'same gender pairs' for the scoring to not be wonky.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Senor Candle posted:

That's bullshit

Why?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

yea I'm also mostly out of my rear end but I think for that to work they'd have to just straight up have different brackets of 'mixed gender pairs' and 'same gender pairs' for the scoring to not be wonky.

If that's what they'd need to do, I'd be down for it. Be still my heart.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The manga this is based off of was written by the same lady as Again, right?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Ytlaya posted:

The manga this is based off of was written by the same lady as Again, right?

This is an anime original production, as far as I can tell. The Again mangaka collaborates with Yamamoto Sayo in planning and writing the screenplay, though. Hopefully the former's terrible ending syndrome won't plague this title.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Our girl Evgenia set a new world record in the SP! She also snagged an onigiri plushie off the ice. I can't wait for her to start getting YOI merch dumped on her by the fans.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

Go Evgenia!!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I like this theory https://twitter.com/Louise8105/status/806881811619905536

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Maera Sior posted:

It's time for the GPF!
(Sorry for not getting this up in time for yesterday's events, I had a lot going on.)

Yesterday's rankings in MENS (SP):
1. Yuzuru Hanyu (JPN) 106.53
2. Patrick Chan (CAN) 99.76
3. Javier Fernandez (ESP) 91.76
4. Shoma Uno (JPN) 86.82
5. Nathan Chen (USA) 85.30
6. Adam Rippon (USA) 83.93

It was a horrible day for the men. Only two of them didn't fall and Yuzuru just barely saved his first quad. There's a pretty massive point spread, so don't expect anyone to catch up unless the leaders fall in the FS.

I added the scores just to show how big the spread was, hope you don't mind (and sorry for IRL skate chat, there doesn't seem to be a figure skating megathread on SA). For reference reaching or passing the 100 mark is Hot poo poo territory and what the top skaters aim for, and 90s/high 80s is what you would expect to see from the finalists.

It was really painful to watch at times; you could tell Javi was having an off day and he wasn't able to shake off his falls (but it says a lot about his talent and his program that he was able to secure a good score regardless), and Shoma Uno skated through a bad landing to limp off the ice afterwards. Rippon had a great performance and a pretty clean skate but his lack of technical difficulty is holding him back (I think he was the only one without a quad of some kind). Chen had the opposite problem, he focuses too much on landing a million quads and front loads his programs so his component score takes a dive for that (it's also his international senior debute this season so it's still amazing that he got to the finals, he has plenty of time to improve). Hanyu and Chan skated as expected and both got seasonal bests for their SPs, it was frustrating to see Chan just miss the 100 mark by a dumb fraction.

I agree that the top 3 seem to have been secured and that the only question is what the final order will be. Shoma Uno might get on the podium with an exceptional skate/season's best and the top three scoring lower than anticipated, but it would be a surprise. That said I hope everyone does well in their FS.

Celery Jello posted:

Seeing mention of pairs reminds me, I think I asked this before but never found an answer - does pairs skating allow same-gender pairs or does it require mixed-gender pairs?

Beside what others have mentioned about the physical logistics, figure skating in very traditional and conservative socially and heteronormative as gently caress. They want their women to be "ladies" and their men to be manly, especially in pair skating, and I don't see the ISU changing their minds about that anytime soon, sadly. A same-gender pairs bracket would be super interesting, especially considering that skaters are hitting the difficulty limit of what human bodies are capable of doing.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Adel - any idea why YOI focuses so much on the Grand Prix Final when apparently (according to wikipedia) it isn't the most prestigious figure skating tournament? I asked before and nobody replied, I know nothing about figure skating but am somewhat interested in it now.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Maera Sior posted:

Our girl Evgenia set a new world record in the SP! She also snagged an onigiri plushie off the ice. I can't wait for her to start getting YOI merch dumped on her by the fans.

Good performances all around. All of the ladies received level 4s.

Paperhouse posted:

Adel - any idea why YOI focuses so much on the Grand Prix Final when apparently (according to wikipedia) it isn't the most prestigious figure skating tournament? I asked before and nobody replied, I know nothing about figure skating but am somewhat interested in it now.

It just so happens that the channel that has the rights to broadcasting the real life Grand Prix series, TV Asahi, also broadcasts Yuri On Ice. Rival channel Fuji TV One usually wins the rights to Japanese nationals, Four Continents, Worlds, and even the European championships on occasion.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Paperhouse posted:

Most likely reason is because it allows for a tournament setup common in sports anime (the road to nationals sort of deal), a better framework for the story, and more skating. It's six international competitions to establish everything with an emphasis on Yuuri's two assignments culminating into a big finale, vs stretching one big title over an entire cour. And the Grand Prix is pretty prestigious, I think it ranks only behind the Olympics and Worlds.

A secondary reason could be because, by choosing the GP, they're getting to run their finals concurrent to the IRL GPF, which is both free hype and really interesting to experience. Considering how dedicated they've been to the research and creating an authentic world (and Kubo being a huge skating nerd), I don't think the timing is a coincidence.

Sunning posted:

It just so happens that the channel that has the rights to broadcasting the real life Grand Prix series, TV Asahi, also broadcasts Yuri On Ice. Rival channel Fuji TV One usually wins the rights to Japanese nationals, Four Continents, Worlds, and even the European championships on occasion.

Also a good point, rights are always a nightmare when it comes to sports.

a computer ghost fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They'll do Worlds in season 2 and the Olympics in season 3.

• Locked thread