Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

You needing to play the game to actually discuss the body language is pretty relevant, yes, because you're not actually discussing the actual game but what you imagine the game is like.

Did you miss the part where I said I watched the beginning of the game? Unless every single gameplay animation and voice sample changes after the first tomb, everything I said still applies.

Klaus Kinski posted:

Maybe you should stop digging and take whatever meds you've been skipping lately.

Hm, yes, it sure is digging a hole to be arguing something about a video game in the video game forum. What am I thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Did you miss the part where I said I watched the beginning of the game? Unless every single gameplay animation and voice sample changes after the first tomb, everything I said still applies.

Lurdiak, are you seriously going "I saw the opening and I bet nothing in this game changes from here on out" and expecting the response not to be "Hey, actually, yes, these things do change over the game."

In the reboot Tomb Raider the entire opening is almost cut from a different game. (And probably was. The game changes massively after the opening segment.) In RotTR the opening segment of the game also is barely like the rest of the game to be honest.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You know what else is really good? Dark Souls games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To be fair to Lurdiak's argument, Rise of the Tomb Raider takes place after Tomb Raider 2013, a game where Lara's entire arc is intended to take her from a naive student to a hardened adventurer and killer. If the beginning of the sequel feels like it betrays that, I think that's a valid criticism.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

ImpAtom posted:

The new Tomb Raider really doesn't do a good job with that sense of mythology and discovery, yeah. In the old games it was more... fanciful by default? T-Rexes were just a thing you could discover, magic and mystery were around every corner, it was a strange bizarre world. The new one is more "There's magic but it's honestly kind of low-key and hidden in the center of an otherwise mundane normal world."

I skipped most of the optional exposition and honestly thought it was all going to turn out to be some nazi experiment gone wrong most of the game. It only goes batshit ghosts and magic in the last 3rd? or so.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Lurdiak posted:

I don't care if it "makes sense with this new take on the character" or whatever. The take itself is lame. It's like if they rebooted Duke Nukem into a noodly-armed guy who's constantly screaming in terror at the aliens attacking him.

I'd play that game, it sounds like it'd be way more hilarious than whatever the hell Forever's attempts at comedy were..

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

heh heh heh

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Also I found out the Chocobos in FFXV swim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF7qbOAdwCk

I don't know why that was so surprising considering other-colored ones in other games could do it but it was still cute when I realized I was going over water.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Lurdiak, are you seriously going "I saw the opening and I bet nothing in this game changes from here on out" and expecting the response not to be "Hey, actually, yes, these things do change over the game."

I didn't say I don't think anything changes at all in the game, I'm just really skeptical that everything from the character's design to every single animation she has changes, unless there's a 10-year flash forward I'm not aware of.

Zaggitz posted:

I'd play that game, it sounds like it'd be way more hilarious than whatever the hell Forever's attempts at comedy were..

It's hard to imagine any take on Duke that isn't better than Forever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phantasium posted:

Also I found out the Chocobos in FFXV swim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF7qbOAdwCk

I don't know why that was so surprising considering other-colored ones in other games could do it but it was still cute when I realized I was going over water.

Yeah someone in the 15 thread found some fishing spots that weren't even in the official guide thanks to swimming chocobos :v:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Welcome to the age of post factual game reviews.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

It still really bugs me that they redesigned Lara Croft to be a moe~ ellen paige lookalike so players would feel bad for her and 'want to protect her'. Lara Croft should be kicking people's tookis, not being grossed out by scorpions.

Everybody is scared of scorpions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9y4SWc5w78

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Welcome to the age of post factual game reviews.

DID YOU KNOW, if I like a game it has no flaws? It's true.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Lurdiak posted:

DID YOU KNOW, if I like a game it has no flaws? It's true.

Wrong.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's weird to bring up scorpions specifically since she goes through a tight cave full of them and barely reacts

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Welcome to the age of post-factual review reviews.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Review my rear end

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sakurazuka posted:

Review my rear end

It stinks!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I didn't say I don't think anything changes at all in the game, I'm just really skeptical that everything from the character's design to every single animation she has changes, unless there's a 10-year flash forward I'm not aware of.

The character absolutely looks more like an Ellen Page type but I'm not really agreeing with you on the animations. She like, winces when she's hurt or shivers in the cold but that's not really the same thing. (And the older Lara Croft did the same things once they had games that weren't on the PS1.) I don't really think her animations portray a weak vulnerable character except in parts of the first one and beyond a certain point i that she's literally screaming for those bastards to come at her while she chases them with a grenade launcher.

Lurdiak posted:

It's hard to imagine any take on Duke that isn't better than Forever.

The major flaw with Duke Nukem is that people forget he's supposed to be a joke himself. Lo Wang in the new Shadow Warrior is a better update because he's allowed to be the butt of jokes himself.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Sakurazuka posted:

Review my rear end

You are a nasty woman.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've never played a Duke Nukem game (I played a few minutes of 3D an emulator once)

So I'm partial to Serious Sam as my joke macho protagonist.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
People yearning for Lara the way she used to be (a constantly objectified, barely human dress-up doll) and despairing them attempting to make her more human always strikes me as just trying to get riled up over pretty much nothing. Like I'm not saying the portrayal of reboot Lara is perfect, but man it has loads less problems than it used to.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Triangular boobs were better

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I, too, preferred Madonna's low poly days.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I dunno man, half way through the game and the guards are like take her out and laura basically says loving BRING IT.

Rise is p good game, just wish they took out the crafting crap. The optional tombs were much better.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

glam rock hamhock posted:

People yearning for Lara the way she used to be (a constantly objectified, barely human dress-up doll) and despairing them attempting to make her more human always strikes me as just trying to get riled up over pretty much nothing. Like I'm not saying the portrayal of reboot Lara is perfect, but man it has loads less problems than it used to.

This.

I also have the weirdest beef that I feel conflicted about : Lara's original original backstory is that she was the daughter of a wealthy aristocratic family and she was in a planecrash high in the mountains. A month later, she walked out of the wilderness as the sole survivor. Forever changed by this experience, she was disowned by her family for being a renegade adventurer and not a proper upper-class person.

This has progressively be retconned to her having a more supportive family and following in her father's legacy.

I always liked the original origin better, because it makes her more independent. Having her coming from a family of explorers and adventures and just following in their footsteps kind of isn't as cool.

But at the same time, complaining that a character's parent's aren't lovely is kind of a lame beef to have.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

She was objectified mostly in marketing and design but was a badass in the games themselves

But the modern Lara is fine too and Lurdiak is posting like a Metacritic community reviewer would. you don't have to play a game to criticize it but you can't also make assumptions about what you haven't seen and then double down when presented with the opposite

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

glam rock hamhock posted:

The one thing that's lost is the acrobatics. Having her control like she did in the older games wouldn't be possible unless they toned down the overall realistic look of the game and its characters so instead she moves just like Nathan Drake as a person who is fit but not especially skillful or graceful. Taking her gymnastic abilities away is a bit of a bummer.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
She moves like Nathan Drake because the whole point of the Tomb Raider reboot was to make an Uncharted game with the historcial name recognition of the Tomb Raider brand.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Nah, there's nothing in the old games more unrealistic than how she climbs with an axe in TR 2013.

Or less realistic that that scene in The Lost World, which is a live action movie.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I sort of like Open World games and large, open maps that I can just mess around with, but I have not played the two games specifically being complained about, so I can't comment on them.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Snak posted:

Nah, there's nothing in the old games more unrealistic than how she climbs with an axe in TR 2013.

Or less realistic that that scene in The Lost World, which is a live action movie.

You remember that she fights a dinosaur, right? Unless that's what you're referencing with The Lost World, a movie I haven't seen. Also, the most unrealistic thing is the amount of punishment the character can take. Being able to take several gunshot wounds and still hike, climb, jump and run without broken ribs scraping up your insides is the cornerstone of the suspension of disbelief in most media, but especially so in video games where a shotgun blast to the gut can be trivialized by crouching behind a crate for ten seconds.

Bicyclops posted:

I sort of like Open World games and large, open maps that I can just mess around with, but I have not played the two games specifically being complained about, so I can't comment on them.

I also like open world games even in the examples mentioned, but I'm not about to argue for them with this crowd.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And, like I said, there's kind of a blurry line between an "Open World" and an "Over World".

Something like Final Fantasy VII or Bravely Default has what I would call an "Over World". You can wander around it and explore, but mostly this is a method of accessing areas. The Over World itself contains a minority of the gameplay, which is mostly in discrete "levels".

Darksiders II is less distinct, where there are more thing to do in the open world, but, it's still used to access discrete "levels" that are played as areas with sequential progression.

edit: ^ I though we were talking specifically about how she handles with respect to acrobatics.

In the movie The Lost World, a teenager kills a dinosaur with her uneven bars gymnastics skills.

For the record, I think that dinosaurs, actual animals that lived once and went extinct, are much more realistic than immortal demonic 15 foot tall samurai warriors.

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 9, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lurdiak posted:

I don't need to play it to be right about it.

Pages back but I want to frame this post.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I get the difference between Overworld and Open World (some of the complaints I see leveled at Open World games here mirror complaints about the Twilight Princess Overworld -and now, all of a sudden, Ocarina of Time- which, given that both can be traversed in full fairly quickly, has always been weird to me). FF7 and 8 definitely have overworlds. FF 10 is largely a straight line as well, people just forget that it is, because it masks it better. Actually, so is Final Fantasy 7, right up until about Mideel.

The Bethesda model that's sort of taking over does have a few too many fetch quests, but I'm interested in the way something like Breath of the Wild has clearly been influenced by the genre.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Snak posted:

edit: ^ I though we were talking specifically about how she handles with respect to acrobatics.

In the movie The Lost World, a teenager kills a dinosaur with her uneven bars gymnastics skills.

For the record, I think that dinosaurs, actual animals that lived once and went extinct, are much more realistic than immortal demonic 15 foot tall samurai warriors.

Oh, so we were. I overlooked the post about acrobatics. And I'll need some proof that immortal demonic 15 foot tall samurai warriors never existed before I concede to your second point.

Wamdoodle posted:

Pages back but I want to frame this post.

I know, right? It's a good candidate for a cross-stitch pattern that would make me laugh every time I passed it by, but I wouldn't want the author to think I'm personally attacking them.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
please play games before discussing them

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

LawfulWaffle posted:

Oh, so we were. I overlooked the post about acrobatics. And I'll need some proof that immortal demonic 15 foot tall samurai warriors never existed before I concede to your second post.

We can agree to disagree.

Or we can agree that it would be pretty awesome to fight immortal demonic 15 foot tall samurai warriors riding dinosaurs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

When it comes to open worlds, I mostly just want to know what it added and if it was worth it. Like, there are open world games I like beyond The Witcher 3, don't get me wrong. Hell, I like a lot of the Assassin's Creed games, even though UbiSoft is a major offender when it comes to things that I hate in open worlds.

Although I'd actually argue that what UbiSoft does is make a good open world and sometimes even make the game's main story take advantage of the open world (like in Assassin's Creed IV), and then scatter a bunch of samey bullshit around for no reason. If only they dropped that last step I'd probably enjoy the games even more than I do.

Going back to the two games I was specifically criticizing: I'm really not sure what the open worlds really added to MGSV and FFXV that was worth the sacrifices that seemed to be made to accommodate them. FFXV at least has the camping mechanic, which I think is actually really cool and does a lot to reinforce the relationships between the main characters. I'm not saying the open worlds added nothing, just that I don't think what they added was worth the resources and time it took to implement them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Can we call games like Metroid Closed World games?

I want to say I like Closed World games.

I'm going to say it regardless.

• Locked thread