Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Anyone interested in some black FiST rados, 2016 model, with pilot sport all seasons on em with 3.5k miles? I swapped into winters, and when I swap back next year I am sizing down to 16" wheels more then likely.

Wheels are pristine, tires are perfect too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Might be interested if I stick with 17s myself, though I'm not 100% sure just yet about black wheels on a black car since I like a bit of contrast. I really wanted to get the grey wheels.

Speaking of though, I swapped to my winter tires today and found that my front tires were getting pretty close to the wear bars, so I have to plan to get new ones in the spring. Since the stock size doesn't really have much of a selection how many of the FiST owners here are running something non-standard and if so what/how do you like it?

I'm leaning towards the Dunlop Star Specs in 215/40R17 just for simplicity's sake. I'd like to run Potenza RE-11s since I loved the RE-01Rs I had on my BMW but their smallest 17" size is 205/45R17 which is a bit more of a change in diameter than I'd prefer. Or I could go to 16s, but I really don't like most aftermarket wheels.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I recently traded my Fit Sport because it handled horribly on the roads around here.

Not necessarily the cars fault but the roads are in awful condition in Ohio. You felt everything.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

The cutest rally car

http://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/m-sport-reveals-2017-spec-ford-fiesta-wrc-858243/

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

I just want to go get groceries in it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Three-Phase posted:

I recently traded my Fit Sport because it handled horribly on the roads around here.

Not necessarily the cars fault but the roads are in awful condition in Ohio. You felt everything.

Is the Fit Sport particularly stiff? Aside from a couple of particularly bad roads (Marginal south of the Shoreway for example) they never really bother me in the FiST.

edit: http://www.wkyc.com/news/investigations/ne-ohio-roads-among-the-worst-in-country/292037788

Welp, I guess I'm easy to please. I learned to drive on gravel roads, maybe that set my bar low.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

I'm really enjoying my winters on the fist for this reason. The freeway ridges don't cause the car to catch air anymore :v:

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

wolrah posted:

Is the Fit Sport particularly stiff? Aside from a couple of particularly bad roads (Marginal south of the Shoreway for example) they never really bother me in the FiST.

edit: http://www.wkyc.com/news/investigations/ne-ohio-roads-among-the-worst-in-country/292037788

Welp, I guess I'm easy to please. I learned to drive on gravel roads, maybe that set my bar low.

Just look like normal roads around new orleans that aren't bad? I dunno.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The issue with the Fit was probably the tires on it more than anything.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah size down to bubbly 15's or something i bet would help.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

PaintVagrant posted:

Anyone interested in some black FiST rados, 2016 model, with pilot sport all seasons on em with 3.5k miles? I swapped into winters, and when I swap back next year I am sizing down to 16" wheels more then likely.

Wheels are pristine, tires are perfect too.

drat.. I would like to have those. What state are you in?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

drat.. I would like to have those. What state are you in?

Michigan, metro Detroit.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

The issue with the Fit was probably the tires on it more than anything.

Yeah, I've got a Fit and the ride is much more comfortable with my winter wheels and tires compared to the summer setup. Extra inch or so of sidewall makes a big difference.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, GTI exhaust videos are by far the overall worst ones I've ever watched. I'd take a million of the ones where some idiot just sits in their garage redlining their engine so you never hear it under load(and there are still plenty of these) over the extremely large number of them that inexplicably involve low speed drive by's and idling away from a stop.

What in the ever loving gently caress?

:psyduck:

fknlo fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 10, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Let me save you a lot of grief. Catted or non-catted downpipe (your call) with the stock exhaust and maybe a resonator welded into the stock exhaust.

You get the burbles, pops, and bangs, it's quite a bit louder than stock but not unbearable, and you get the power / spool benefits. Going full exhaust turns it into a loud piece of poo poo and gains basically no power over just a downpipe.

You can increase turbo noise by removing the weatherstrip at the top of the hood, cutting out the blockoff in the intake scoops on the LHS, and filling in the turbo muffler holes. All of the intakes lose power except like the Injen EVO3000.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 10, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Make no mistake - I think the Fit is/was a great econobox hatch. Ride style and comfort (barring a severe engineering or mechanical problem) is pretty subjective too. Only service issues I ran into with the Fit was:

• Airbag recall (thanks Honda)
  • Rear struts went at about 40k miles (thanks Honda)

Regular Car Reviews accurately described the Fit as a "good noncommittal car" and "once you buy a Fit, you'll probably immediately start saving money to buy something to replace it." (Which I did last month with a RAV4H once my Fit hit about 70k.)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A RAV4 sounds even more boring than a Fit.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

A RAV4 sounds even more boring than a Fit.

In EV mode, yes (but very quiet).
In ECO mode, yes. It's like driving a military MRAP with a Smart FourTwo three-cylinder engine inside of it.
In SPORT mode it's a bit like Cisco - it "Takes you by Surprise".

8.1 second 0-60 is comparable or better than a lot of the Fit models. Center of mass is much higher though. Hybrid/electric AWD should help a little in snow.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Let me save you a lot of grief. Catted or non-catted downpipe (your call) with the stock exhaust and maybe a resonator welded into the stock exhaust.

You get the burbles, pops, and bangs, it's quite a bit louder than stock but not unbearable, and you get the power / spool benefits. Going full exhaust turns it into a loud piece of poo poo and gains basically no power over just a downpipe.

You can increase turbo noise by removing the weatherstrip at the top of the hood, cutting out the blockoff in the intake scoops on the LHS, and filling in the turbo muffler holes. All of the intakes lose power except like the Injen EVO3000.

With Donald Trump's EPA I'm just gonna run a pipe off the back of the turbo right out the hood.

Downpipe with stock exhaust doesn't sound too bad at all. None of the cat back systems I've heard are all that pleasing. I'm definitely too old to deal with lovely loud setups that drone like crazy in my DD. I'm not surprised at all with the intake thing since it was basically the same with the common rail TDI's. You'd get more noise and nothing else.

e:

Is there any benefit to ethanol blend fuels that you aren't tuned for or should I just go with the multiple ethanol free options I have available?

fknlo fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 10, 2016

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fknlo posted:

With Donald Trump's EPA I'm just gonna run a pipe off the back of the turbo right out the hood.

Downpipe with stock exhaust doesn't sound too bad at all. None of the cat back systems I've heard are all that pleasing. I'm definitely too old to deal with lovely loud setups that drone like crazy in my DD. I'm not surprised at all with the intake thing since it was basically the same with the common rail TDI's. You'd get more noise and nothing else.

e:

Is there any benefit to ethanol blend fuels that you aren't tuned for or should I just go with the multiple ethanol free options I have available?

let me know what you get I'm in the market but I'm very lazy, just interested in downpipe w/ stock exhaust

gti's gastank is already too small to fill with e85 unless you like it every other day. just 10% ethanol isn't a problem unless you let the car sit around unused for 6 months. e85 is useless w/o tune.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Three-Phase posted:

Regular Car Reviews accurately described the Fit as a "good noncommittal car" and "once you buy a Fit, you'll probably immediately start saving money to buy something to replace it." (Which I did last month with a RAV4H once my Fit hit about 70k.)

I really like the 07-08 Fit but the 09+ has a dashboard that can repulse me at fifty paces. Apparently resale value agrees with me, because even a high-mileage hail-dented 07 is $3500 in my local market. And nobody ever adjusts the loving valves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV-7ppRt8Pw

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Also the vents are right above the cup holders in the Fit. So you can blow hot air to keep your coffee warm and cold air to keep your soda or water or gazpacho cool. So there are like four front cup holders.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 10, 2016

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Anyone installed a LSD themselves? Probably should take it somewhere but money...

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

PaintVagrant posted:

Michigan, metro Detroit.

Can you take some pics? How much were you going to ask for them?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

Can you take some pics? How much were you going to ask for them?

Sure, hit me up via PM. I am sick but once I get over my various ailments I can take some pictures.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Curt hitch + Cobb exhaust hangers work great on my FiST. Other people online have been either lowering the exhaust or having extra mounts welded in to keep the muffler from banging on the hitch. Glad the easy way wound up working for me:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
While I'm still not the biggest fan of the wheels on the GTI Sport I have to admit they look drat good at night with how they reflect light. Loving the car so far. It's definitely more capable than the TDI, even with the stock all seasons. I really need to get through the break in period so I can open it up more.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

fknlo posted:

While I'm still not the biggest fan of the wheels on the GTI Sport I have to admit they look drat good at night with how they reflect light. Loving the car so far. It's definitely more capable than the TDI, even with the stock all seasons. I really need to get through the break in period so I can open it up more.

I would like to hear more on your impressions of the car. I was going to look at/maybe buy an R this week, but one side of me wants to get a GTI Sport and be done with it. The extra $14-16k for an R is really hard for me to justify. I've driven both and I liked the GTI but I loved the R. I like the Nogaro wheels on the Sport much better than the Austins on the other trim levels. Did you cross shop any other brands or GTI trim levels besides the Sport?

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 14, 2016

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Radiohead71 posted:

I would like to hear more on your impressions of the car. I was going to look at/maybe buy an R this week, but one side of me wants to get a GTI Sport and be done with it. The extra $14-16k for an R is really hard for me to justify. I've driven both and I liked the GTI but I loved the R. I like the Nogaro wheels on the Sport much better than the Austins on the other trim levels. Did you cross shop any other brands or GTI trim levels besides the Sport?

I was constantly adding/subtracting cars. At some point I drove/considered the following for DD duty: Crosstrek, Fiesta ST, Focus ST, ATS 2.0T 6MT, G37 Sedan 6MT, Sportwagen/Alltrack, 8th and 9th gen Civic SI. There were some others I can't think of too. A fun DD was almost inevitably going to beat a boring DD. There are multiple things that don't exist that should that I also would have seriously looked at. A WRX hatch for one.

The ATS and G37 in manual form are really uncommon. I never found one in the combo I wanted to drive locally. The 8th gen civic in a mileage range I wanted was also not common. The 9th gen civic just didn't do it for me. My top realistic contenders were the Fiesta ST, 8th gen SI, GTI, Sportwagen/Alltrack. I would have jumped on the right RWD sedan or 8th gen civic. The Fiesta ST was probably the most fun car overall. It's just a blast to drive. It's a touch on the small side but I could have lived with that.

The GTI won in this instance because I got the deal I was looking for(in theory) and I really do like the Golf platform. The GTI is also just an insanely good DD. It has that fun and really practical combo that are hard to come by. I'm not even really sure I could live without a hatchback at this point. The Sport was the only way for me since I wanted an LSD. I did drive an R last year and while it was great I just didn't want to pay that much. I wanted a bit of rawness in my DD that only the 8th gen civic and Fiesta ST provided. I honestly feel like the R gave a little less of this than the GTI. That could totally be my mind loving with my memory of driving the R though.

It really is one of the better DD options out there. The R is basically the same thing but more. I'll continue to give my impressions as I get a bit more time driving it. I really did love my TDI but the GTI is essentially in a different league.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Radiohead71 posted:

The GTI is a good handling FWD with enough power, the Golf-R is what happens when someone is like let's add some power and AWD because we can. It doesn't handle any better than the GTI and the power difference isn't that much, especially once you see that the IS38 is literally an in place upgrade on the GTI (and it is sold outside the US as such).

I paid mine off last night and will be signing the title over to the new owner once it arrives.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 14, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Radiohead71 posted:

If you don't have to deal with snow, and don't feel like the extra cost is worth the extra power the GTI is great. I bought the R simply because AWD is awesome, and the built in warrantied power is there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
A trillion people drive GTIs in New England, you don't need the R for snow.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

I live in FL so AWD not necessary. I appreciate all the feedback. I'm gonna check out a dealer next Monday that has both and hopefully make up my mind.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I didn't feel like the price difference between the '16 GTI and the '16 R was worth it to get the R. And with prices like they are for the '17 Sports, even more so.

I did cross shop them with an M235i though, and if you don't need a hatch and you're in that price bracket with the Golf R, you should think about checking that car out.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I didn't feel like the price difference between the '16 GTI and the '16 R was worth it to get the R. And with prices like they are for the '17 Sports, even more so.

I did cross shop them with an M235i though, and if you don't need a hatch and you're in that price bracket with the Golf R, you should think about checking that car out.

Yeah I've been looking at CPO M235i for around $38k and even new m240i's for $48k but I really want hatch convenience and 4 doors is better for me. If they sold the M140i hatch here in the US I would already have one.

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 14, 2016

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Radiohead71 posted:

If they sold the M140i hatch here in the US I would already have one.

:same:

This would have absolutely been at the top of my list.

On the AWD thing, I feel more than comfortable with nothing more than a winter wheel set. I spend a couple weeks in the mountains every winter and it also snows enough here in KC to get some use out of them at home. There have been a couple times AWD would have been nice but not to the point where it needed to have a major effect on a car purchase.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Checking fitment on the 17's from my TDI and there's not much room to spare. Not sure how comfortable I am with that. Weight placement would be massively important with the shapes of the calipers too. There's a bump towards the inner side of them that the weights probably wouldn't clear. I guess I'd have to tell them to only put weights next to the face or inside edge of the wheel?

That shows the bump that I'm talking about.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I test drove an r and a gti a couple years ago and the r didn't feel more fun or upmarket than the gti so the price difference didn't seem justified to me. So I got a Fiesta ST and regret a few things about it. Most notably, it's really uncomfortable and the ride is super harsh. My Miata is more comfortable to drive and it's not known as a particularly comfortable car. The other problem is the resale value. It tanked hard. At 2 years and 20k miles I'd be lucky to get $14k for it. I still owe more than that. Over the next couple years it's going to tank even more.

Long story short: back in January 2015 I should have gotten a used GTI instead of a new Fiesta ST.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I was cross shopping a Camaro 1SS 1LE with the GTI Sport. Got the GTI sport because of practicality. The Camaro though, was absolutely the winner of my heart. But I'm not the type of person to make significant expenditures based on what my heart wants. The extra $15k ish for the Camaro, plus how useless the interior and storage space is, plus how rarely if ever I would be able to use all the extra power, plus the extra insurance costs...

Just never made sense.

Meanwhile, I'm averaging almost 30mpg in the GTI, it is very fun, and down the road I'll probably do an APR stage 1 and eventually will upgrade the wheels to 18" lighter wheels and get slightly wider PSSs.

tijag fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

GutBomb posted:

...The other problem is the resale value. It tanked hard. At 2 years and 20k miles I'd be lucky to get $14k for it. I still owe more than that. Over the next couple years it's going to tank even more...

This is my problem with it. I don't drive the car anymore, I don't need the car anymore, and I don't want the car anymore. But despite putting over 1/5th the purchase price down on it, and paying nearly $500 a month on it, from the time I drove it off the lot it started sliding further towards being upside-down. I currently owe $13,800 on it, and the estimated trade-in value is around $14,100. Estimated private sale value is $15,700. At this rate, I'll be at break-even in another three months.