Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I can't really blame people for thinking that people in power are secretly child molesters because that's literally a thing in the UK.

The question is why do they think child molestation is common among powerful people? Like, are kids really that awesome to have sex with? Is it like the ortolan of sex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well in the UK it probably has something to do with the fact that a really disproportionate amount of our ruling class went to the same school which basically has this weird culture of students raping each other or something and they think that's actually character building, and probably just developed some kind of weird taste for raping kids in the process.

Also like, wealth seems to have a deleterious effect on morality in general which doesn't help.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
The powerful like to violate the powerless.

I'm not sure if I'm joking or not. But if you told me powerful people were significantly more likely to be child molesters I would believe you.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Modrasone posted:

So it's day six or seven of this and where are we at now?

At this point we've had about a full month of Pizzagate. The Spirit Cooking stuff started about a week before the election, then evolved into Pizzagate when someone claimed to have cracked the "pizza" code.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Higsian posted:

The powerful like to violate the powerless.

I'm not sure if I'm joking or not. But if you told me powerful people were significantly more likely to be child molesters I would believe you.

I imagine that beyond a certain level of wealth or power you just become completely detached from normal human society and at that point anything goes. It's not like anyone's gonna stop you from doing anything. You can do any amount of drugs, gently caress any number of people, adults or children, for a price that's more affordable to you than a cup of coffee is to the average worker, and literally get away with murder. This should be enough of an argument to get people to topple the parts of the system that make billionaires possible, but it seems everyone is more concerned about the dark skinned guy who just escaped here from a war-torn country

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Modrasone posted:

The shooter guy has an IMDB page so that's the Crisis Actor angle taken care of. MKUltra has been invoked.

God, can you imagine how frustrated that guy must be? He goes to investigate some batty conspiracy and now he's all over his favorite conspiracy websites as being a part of it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kit Walker posted:

I imagine that beyond a certain level of wealth or power you just become completely detached from normal human society and at that point anything goes. It's not like anyone's gonna stop you from doing anything. You can do any amount of drugs, gently caress any number of people, adults or children, for a price that's more affordable to you than a cup of coffee is to the average worker, and literally get away with murder. This should be enough of an argument to get people to topple the parts of the system that make billionaires possible, but it seems everyone is more concerned about the dark skinned guy who just escaped here from a war-torn country

But what is it about children specifically? If you're all powerful and can gently caress whoever you want, why would that result in a predilection toward elementary schoolers? Why don't they just go the "hookers and blow" route or at least kidnap attractive 18-year-olds?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's either some kind of forbidden fruit thing ("it's super taboo therefore I want it"), or else latent pedophilia is really super common and nobody wants to admit it, and only the taboo aspect makes it possible for most people to hide it.

I really really hope it's the former, for the sake of this loving species.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
crimes involving children are especially prone for conspiracy theories and goofy behavior because it touches that part of the brain that wants to protect children. see: anti-abortion activists

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

But what is it about children specifically? If you're all powerful and can gently caress whoever you want, why would that result in a predilection toward elementary schoolers? Why don't they just go the "hookers and blow" route or at least kidnap attractive 18-year-olds?

Paganist life extension rituals. It isn't all that different from the people who think you can rid yourself of HIV by having sex with a virgin.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The ultra-taboo nature of it also serves as a bonding ritual. You and your child molesting buddies aren't going to out each other because then you'd be outed as a child molester.

From a CT angle, it's a modern spin on the older version where people at the Bohemian Grove would have hot man-on-man gay sex and as part of the initiation to the Skull and Bones, it initiate would get hosed in the rear end by superior members while they took photos. Even Nixon talked about how gay these events were and how he did not appreciate the homosexual deviancy at them.

"Sexual deviancy" is probably fairly common among the wealthy because the range of human sexual expression is much wider than than the 1950s ideal and the wealthy can protect themselves from the deleterious aspects of perceived sexual deviancy.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Kit Walker posted:

Once you reach a certain level of wealth you simply cannot improve your life anymore. A $100 meal is going to much better than a $20 eal, but you cant spend $1000 to get a meal 10 x better.

At that point all that is left is ruining it for other people.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

chitoryu12 posted:

The question is why do they think child molestation is common among powerful people? Like, are kids really that awesome to have sex with? Is it like the ortolan of sex?

I think it's safe to assume that incredibly wealthy and powerful people are more likely to find a way to satisfy their fetishes, whatever they are. A NYT article last year estimated the prevalence of pedophilic attraction as 1:100, so among the .01% top earners that would be 30,000 people in the US.

What would you define as common?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I think it's safe to assume that incredibly wealthy and powerful people are more likely to find a way to satisfy their fetishes, whatever they are. A NYT article last year estimated the prevalence of pedophilic attraction as 1:100, so among the .01% top earners that would be 30,000 people in the US.

I mean the pizzagate thing we've been talking about was "almost literally everyone connected to Hillary Clinton must be a pedophile" so that's how much the conspiracy theorists are thinking for common.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How soon we forget Subway Jared, Jerry Sandusky, and their 'charitable organizations'

Or maybe that explains why turnout is so low. We know our rulers all too well.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

fishmech posted:

I mean the pizzagate thing we've been talking about was "almost literally everyone connected to Hillary Clinton must be a pedophile" so that's how much the conspiracy theorists are thinking for common.

Pizzagate is what made me start thinking about how bizarre of an accusation it is. The whole "conspiracy" relies on everyone involved being a pedophile, to the point where Clinton and her whole camp (including her husband) is regularly making trips to an island retreat for pedophiles and flying aboard a plane with underage girls to gently caress on the way there. It suggests that pedophilia is so endemic to a major political group that they have a whole array of code words for different types of pedophilia.

Like replace pedophilia with a random fetish, like shoes. Imagine talking about the Clintons and Podesta and everyone else being part of a secret shoe fetish ring. You'd think "No way does everyone have this really specific fetish."

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Tell me more about the shoes.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Oh jeez. I never crunched the numbers myself but this is loving depressing

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

The ultra-taboo nature of it also serves as a bonding ritual. You and your child molesting buddies aren't going to out each other because then you'd be outed as a child molester.
Yeah, that's what Hunter Thompson was getting at. The idea that they'd take these people who were in positions of power, tell them "hey come to this awesome camp for a cool party time", get them all roofied up and turn them loose on some kids, film the whole thing and use it as blackmail. Like, "you ever say no to us and we out you as a kiddie raper".

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

fishmech posted:

Part of it is cultural. From ancient Athens to modern Afghanistan, loving kids has been the hep craze. While wrong in this case, it's not mistaken to think that a cultural paraphilia towards diddling can develop. If you assume there is a secret (hidden) culture of the wealthy, why wouldn't it include paraphilias? Especially if that particular paraphilia is something you associate with one (or more) decadent cultures (that may also be the enemy)?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

twistedmentat posted:

Looks like the pizzagate thing has actually resulted in an attempted mass shooting

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.59298d89c259

Probably lucky that the guy wanted to find the alleged tunnels before he started shooting I assume.

Also when reading about the debunking of Pizzagate, I found a lot of references to "pedophile symbols" and leaked documents from wikilinks which I am skeptical of because :tinfoil: types are always going on about symbols of Satanism or Pedos or whatnot, so I always am skeptical about hearing about a symbol of something bad being found somewhere.

Though straight up white power and nazi symbols are excused as being "just celebrating heritage" by the same people.

"Police said Welch proceeded to discharge the rifle inside the restaurant; they think that all other occupants had fled when Welch began shooting."

Well at least it ended a little better than the last time someone went into a pizza place to self investigate a sinister conspiracy.

quote:

On January 30, 1989, Kenneth Lamar Noid, a mentally ill man who thought the ads were a personal attack on him, held two employees of an Atlanta Domino's restaurant hostage for over five hours. After forcing them to make him a pizza and making demands for $100,000, getaway transportation, and a copy of The Widow's Son, Noid surrendered to the police.[4] After the incident ended, Police Chief Reed Miller offered an assessment to reporters: "He's paranoid."[5] Noid was charged with kidnapping, aggravated assault, extortion, and possession of a firearm during a crime. He was found not guilty by reason of insanity. Noid spent three months in a mental institution, and eventually committed suicide in 1995. This incident caused Domino's Pizza to discontinue advertising using the Noid as their mascot.[6]

I hope this Comet Ping Pong place doesn't have a semi-famous mascot, or this could get even uglier.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Today I caught a coworker trying to convince another coworker to buy gold buillion because the US government is about to be toppled by pizzagate

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Baka-nin posted:

Well at least it ended a little better than the last time someone went into a pizza place to self investigate a sinister conspiracy.

quote:

After the incident ended, Police Chief Reed Miller offered an assessment to reporters: "He's paranoid."[5]

Oh my god

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Remember when El Niņo first became a thing in the news in like 1997? It was causing all these storms and floods and wrecking people houses and poo poo. And this guy called "Al Nino" went on the news and talked about how people were calling him up and threatening him for being behind it all

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Prester Jane posted:

Someday I may do a write up on Alex Jones

I'd certainly be interested in you, of all people, doing a deep dive on Jones. I'm from Texas, have met him a few times, and have friends that knew him *real well* back in the 90's before he got big from the Bohemian Grove thing, but it's always been a casual fascination and after he started getting into the sales aspect of conspiracy culture I stopped bothering. He's so obviously taking advantage of people at this point that it's not worth my time.

Prester Jane posted:

Jones does not actually give the tiniest of shits about what he has to say in order to attract that audience. Jones knows exactly who is attracted to him and he knows how to slowly radicalize them and bring them into his fold.

So he's basically Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I actually came to post the most recent TEOTA video, he took a break from claiming Trump is the second coming of Jesus to talk about how Jesus is satan and probably pizzagate as well I dunno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMPelXXAaLE

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Shbobdb posted:

"Sexual deviancy" is probably fairly common among the wealthy because the range of human sexual expression is much wider than than the 1950s ideal and the wealthy can protect themselves from the deleterious aspects of perceived sexual deviancy.

Yeah it's still super common. There's elite swinger groups that recruit local college girls, the one I met was at the local Catholic college (of course), that are very protective of their membership and have a whole process new members and girls have to go through. And this is in Houston, I can't imagine what's it's like in a *real* big city where actual rich people live not a bunch of oil barons.

When you've got more money than you know what to do with and are working so little that you're bored with vacationing all the time, you start looking for other things to do.

504 posted:

Once you reach a certain level of wealth you simply cannot improve your life anymore. A $100 meal is going to much better than a $20 eal, but you cant spend $1000 to get a meal 10 x better.

At that point all that is left is ruining it for other people.

Basically, yes. The current crop of silicon valley assholes is a perfect example. They didn't grow up learning "how to be rich" like the east coast trust fund kids, so they've all turned into objectivist psychopaths that're bent on destroying what's left of worker rights in the US and creating private islands for whatever it is they want to do with the rest of their lives.

Data Graham posted:

Remember when El Niņo first became a thing in the news in like 1997? It was causing all these storms and floods and wrecking people houses and poo poo. And this guy called "Al Nino" went on the news and talked about how people were calling him up and threatening him for being behind it all

Humanity was a mistake, bring back the dinosaurs. The lizard people are the only ones mature enough to rule.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

QuarkJets posted:

Today I caught a coworker trying to convince another coworker to buy gold buillion because the US government is about to be toppled by pizzagate

Am I right in thinking when you buy gold bullion you just get a certificate stating you own XX gold to be collected when you want it?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

504 posted:

Am I right in thinking when you buy gold bullion you just get a certificate stating you own XX gold to be collected when you want it?

Yes. Also when people have bought these certificates and attempted to collect on them they have not been able to get said gold because, surprise, surprise, it's all a scam.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, my very first thought was "You give them money, they bank it earn interest and just give you back your money when you ask for your gold"

God drat I feel smart.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

504 posted:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yes. Also when people have bought these certificates and attempted to collect on them they have not been able to get said gold because, surprise, surprise, it's all a scam.

There's several different business models at work in the "buy gold/silver/whatever" area, in roughly this order of commonness:

1) The people who sell you coins. These are selling you legit high quality metal coins , just for quite a bit more than the value of the metal. You get the actual coins and keep them yourself
2) The people who sell you certificates and aren't scams. Yeah you're buying a "gold bar" or whatever but it stays in their middle of nowhere Nebraska warehouse or whatever. Part of what makes these profitable is 99.9% of their customers aren't going to spend thousands of dollars traveling to and from wherever the cheapest warehouse land in America is to get their hundreds of dollars worth of gold/silver/etc.
3) The people who sell and ship you the actual bulk metal, usually in bars. Tend to be super expensive because of the costs of shipping and insuring that stuff.
4) People actually just selling you a worthless certificate that doesn't have any gold or whatever in their warehouse. Reason this is least common? The cops tend to investigate if someone's getting into this.

Now of course, a lot of 2 are at risk of becoming 4, because sticky fingered employees might start stealing the metal. This happened to a big company in Texas not too long ago: http://www.mystatesman.com/news/local/downtown-austin-vault-precious-metals-turns-mostly-empty/mLSvlP6RmLy6EKfiPjzKfP/

Note that in the case of that business, they also had a thing where you'd trade the currency online, and accepted deposits of people's existing owned coins and bars.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

But #4 is what the GOVERNMENT is selling you with fiat currency!!!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I thought it was illegal for private citizens to own over a certain amount of gold because when FDR took the US off the Gold Standard, they confiscated gold stores that rich people had to prevent them from taking advantage of the Depression.

Because gold isn't as stable as the gold sellers would have you believe.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

twistedmentat posted:

I thought it was illegal for private citizens to own over a certain amount of gold because when FDR took the US off the Gold Standard, they confiscated gold stores that rich people had to prevent them from taking advantage of the Depression.

Those rules ended on January 1, 1975 and when they were in effect (1933-1974) the rules were almost entirely against owning it in traditional bullion form, especially the stereotypical bars. You could still own all of it you wanted in coin forms.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

fishmech posted:

Those rules ended on January 1, 1975 and when they were in effect (1933-1974) the rules were almost entirely against owning it in traditional bullion form, especially the stereotypical bars. You could still own all of it you wanted in coin forms.

Ah yes, the Scrooge McDuck act.

But seriously, I am not surprised that it happened during the Nixon years.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I first encountered Alex Jones on a cable documentary series on conspiracies. Alex Jones was on the one about that weird meeting place with an owl statue. He claimed that by exposing this secret cabal to the world he was confronted by two men in robes armed with daggers. Apparently Alex managed to fight them off bare handed, without getting a single scar or needing a hospital visit.

I wrote the guy off as a fantasist or con artist and forgot about him until I saw Scanner Darkly. He's the big loud mouth yelling incoherently in a megaphone before he gets tazed by the cops. The guy is very obviously a charlatan and that was before I knew about his media empire and merchandising arm.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So a friend( who's really given to dumb conspiracy poo poo) posted this video: https://www.facebook.com/Be7hechange/videos/547818588758588/?pnref=story

Can you help me explain to him why it's dumb? I'm pretty certain it's because the building did not actually collapse in 10 seconds, it just appears that way because of debris and windows blowing out.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Baka-nin posted:

I first encountered Alex Jones on a cable documentary series on conspiracies. Alex Jones was on the one about that weird meeting place with an owl statue. He claimed that by exposing this secret cabal to the world he was confronted by two men in robes armed with daggers. Apparently Alex managed to fight them off bare handed, without getting a single scar or needing a hospital visit.

I wrote the guy off as a fantasist or con artist and forgot about him until I saw Scanner Darkly. He's the big loud mouth yelling incoherently in a megaphone before he gets tazed by the cops. The guy is very obviously a charlatan and that was before I knew about his media empire and merchandising arm.

I absolutely love that story. What Jones leaves out is that he was there with another conspiracy theorist guy. But whereas Jones tried to sneak into the Grove, got lost and eventually got his sorry rear end dragged out by security, the other guy walked in the front door and ended up getting drunk and partying with the attending million/billionaires.

As much as a bellowing dipshit Jones is, the scary thing is just how much influence he's building. Jones clearly doesn't believe in his own bullshit, the extent of how hard he pushes his bullshit survival supplies and dick pills is testament to that, but people do and included in those people may be the goddamn President elect.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tias posted:

Can you help me explain to him why it's dumb? I'm pretty certain it's because the building did not actually collapse in 10 seconds, it just appears that way because of debris and windows blowing out.

first off, lol at establishing conclusive and precise timing of events based on youtube videos

second, freefall theory is dumb because people are trying to unravel how a building should collapse due to massive structural damage when, generally, the wtc towers are extremely rare examples of buildings collapsing from massive structural damage. im not sure what people are actually comparing this too as another example of this event, so you can make fun of your friend for thinking reality should happen like a michael bay movie or something. really lean into the hollywood cgi angle

definitely make fun of your friend. savage them. anyone still believing in 9/11 conspiracy theories deserves it

third, physics straight up doesn't work that way. force = mass * acceleration, right? buildings have to be built very robustly to hold up a lot of mass, because buildings are heavy. the trick to buildings is they tend not to accelerate much, if any part of your building is accelerating compared to any other part of your building then you're going to have a bad day. you can purposely build a structure heavier and sturdier than it needs to be for safety reasons, usually this is by a factor of three or so. 1m tons of building accelerating at the speed of gravity (9.8ms) generates almost 10m tons of force, way over this factor of three. this is basically unstoppable, which is why you dont want buildings to start moving in the first place. the idea of freefall theory is that all of that unmoving building should stop or slow the collapse of a structure, which, i mean, i dont even know how that makes sense. once a structure starts collapsing it usually finishes collapsing

SteelMentor posted:

As much as a bellowing dipshit Jones is, the scary thing is just how much influence he's building. Jones clearly doesn't believe in his own bullshit, the extent of how hard he pushes his bullshit survival supplies and dick pills is testament to that, but people do and included in those people may be the goddamn President elect.

jones' audience is a great example about how people will believe any god drat thing you tell them so long as you give them a little tugjob first. "yes yes, the world is awful and your leaders are corrupt, you are so smart for recognizing this and being an independent thinker! good for you! so how about you use my pills the man doesn't want you to know about, they restore low testosterone or whatever"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The ultimate irony in all this recent wave of nonsense is that we have an actual, massive conspiracy with dangerous ramifications in the form of the Russian Hackings just sitting there in the open, but these nuts will happily pretend it never happened because it helped them in the short-term.

• Locked thread