Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
What loving game did Biggs and Wedge fall out of. I know their names are a wink wink nudge nudge but it feels like certain sets of characters were designed by completely different teams that never talked.

Aranea looks like a Soul Calibur reject but she's the most interesting person in this drat game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Well FF8 didn't really give you the tools or the knowledge to keep up with the scaling so that's fair. I was just musing that a complaint I've heard on and off the 'net was that naturally doing things like sidequests every once in a while leaves you woefully overleveled in this game. Level scaling is one way to do that, but everyone is right that it's done incorrectly more often than not.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

gently caress level scaling. I'd rather be overpowered.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

What loving game did Biggs and Wedge fall out of. I know their names are a wink wink nudge nudge but it feels like certain sets of characters were designed by completely different teams that never talked.

Aranea looks like a Soul Calibur reject but she's the most interesting person in this drat game.

There was a Wedge in FFX. Maybe a Biggs too? I don't remember. Wedge was nasty at blitzball though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Biggs and Wedge are in every* Final Fantasy

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

RCarr posted:

There was a Wedge in FFX. Maybe a Biggs too? I don't remember. Wedge was nasty at blitzball though.

In both FFX and X-2 Biggs and Wedge were Blitzballers. They were pretty good in X but were in your starter team and the first to be replaced in X-2.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Rascyc posted:

I think it's R3 or L3 to compare weapons which will show you the weapon graphic.

I think l1+r1 to activate Goku mode is the hardest for me. I have to hit it a couple times for it to finally stick instead of bringing up the tech menu. I think a control type change would fix this maybe but I don't feel like changing after 50 hours.

That's what it is for control type C. I think the button is listed on the bottom of the screen when in the Gear menu.

Activating Armiger mode is troublesome because you have to be on the ground and neutral (i.e. not attacking or anything). There's a prompt above the Armiger bar that appears and disappears when it's available or not. It's not ideal to take your eye off the action, but that's what's worked best for me.

Yodzilla posted:

Biggs and Wedge are references to Star Wars, though the fact that they look like German WW2 officers (I think?), but sound like English WW2 soldiers, well I can't reconcile that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rascyc posted:

I think it's R3 or L3 to compare weapons which will show you the weapon graphic.

I think l1+r1 to activate Goku mode is the hardest for me. I have to hit it a couple times for it to finally stick instead of bringing up the tech menu. I think a control type change would fix this maybe but I don't feel like changing after 50 hours.

If you actually do it when you see the 'L1+R1 for Armiger' on the screen it should go off. I think if you do it something like mid-animation you just get the tech menu instead.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Shoren posted:

That's what it is for control type C. I think the button is listed on the bottom of the screen when in the Gear menu.

Activating Armiger mode is troublesome because you have to be on the ground and neutral (i.e. not attacking or anything). There's a prompt above the Armiger bar that appears and disappears when it's available or not. It's not ideal to take your eye off the action, but that's what's worked best for me.

Biggs and Wedge are references to Star Wars, though the fact that they look like German WW2 officers (I think?), but sound like English WW2 soldiers, well I can't reconcile that.

They've been in tons of FF these are probably the most direct reference to FF6 where Biggs and Wedge were two imperial officers that were with Terra.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I really hope the eventual co-op is a Bayonetta 2 style mission mode that just lets you play as absolutely anyone.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

ROFL Octopus posted:

FF8 did this and it made leveling up actively detrimental.

No it didn't, it never did, you could finish the game easily at level whatever if you aren't a retard with junctions.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Shoren posted:

Yeah that's the part I'm talking about. Their actual designs are weird as hell and don't fit anything else in this game.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Nina posted:

I really hope the eventual co-op is a Bayonetta 2 style mission mode that just lets you play as absolutely anyone.

Early trailers had a person playing a Prompto manually targeting with a gun on the screen would of been fun.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

SpazmasterX posted:

No it didn't, it never did, you could finish the game easily at level whatever if you aren't a retard with junctions.

Junctions have nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Yeah of course you can junction to max out your stats, but leveling up gave enemies new techniques. So you're better off turning enemies into cards and just junctioning.

e: that being said, the game is easy as hell anyway

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah that's the part I'm talking about. Their actual designs are weird as hell and don't fit anything else in this game.

I agree that it's really weird. I guess the best explanation is that they were mercenaries working for the Empire, so their accents and garb would be attributed to where they're from, but we're never told that. They don't fit with any of the established nation-states that we're aware of.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If I go to chapter nine and then use the time traveling dog will that make the days not end at like 5pm or will it be the same as in chapter 8?

Also I tried the overwhelm/bow of the clever trick but it just ends up getting me killed and feels like it doesn't do that much damage, am I doing something wrong?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Welp just beat the final boss, holy poo poo the last couple missions are diabolical. The keycard corridor marathon was definitely one of the worst levels I've played in a game in years. I was making fun of the game to that point cause chapter 9-12 are like 15 mins long each with one or two fights then I was begging for a return to that.

Also I feel like the clunky combat system becomes pretty infuriating when every boss onehits you all the time, but I might just have been low level at 40 odd.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

If I go to chapter nine and then use the time traveling dog will that make the days not end at like 5pm or will it be the same as in chapter 8?

Also I tried the overwhelm/bow of the clever trick but it just ends up getting me killed and feels like it doesn't do that much damage, am I doing something wrong?

The days go back to the length they were in your youth

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

nopantsjack posted:

Welp just beat the final boss, holy poo poo the last couple missions are diabolical. The keycard corridor marathon was definitely one of the worst levels I've played in a game in years. I was making fun of the game to that point cause chapter 9-12 are like 15 mins long each with one or two fights then I was begging for a return to that.

Also I feel like the clunky combat system becomes pretty infuriating when every boss onehits you all the time, but I might just have been low level at 40 odd.

God chapter 13 is the absolute loving worst pointless exercise in wasting time imaginable. Just to introduce the lovely ring mechanic that you use for a half hour until you get a sword again and go back to hammering axemen to death with an actual weapon. That chapter alone actively soured me on the rest of the game up until that point.

I never understood why Ardyn wanted you to become powerful enough to fight him, unless his ultimate goals is "I want to die". It makes more sense to just use his Oracle Shank on Noctis the first time they meet, kill the little poo poo, and laugh your way into the world of ruin.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nina posted:

It'll be that garbage dungeon mode from that garbage game Ehrgeiz.

(It was a bad game but one character had an amazing ending video consisting of an infinite loop of him eating bowls of soup)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Barudak posted:

The days go back to the length they were in your youth

I'm not going that far forward, I just want access to Altissa. But the days in chapter 8 are like three hours shorter than in chapter 3 or 4. So I'm curious what will happen if I advance.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Biggs and Wedge fall under the "Captains" part in this chart. They're somewhat high-rankers in the Niff army, but don't need to actually fight since the MTs do all that.

DeathSandwich posted:

I never understood why Ardyn wanted you to become powerful enough to fight him, unless his ultimate goals is "I want to die". It makes more sense to just use his Oracle Shank on Noctis the first time they meet, kill the little poo poo, and laugh your way into the world of ruin.
Ardyn wanted to either/both A) deplete the crystal of its power and kill its Chosen One to spite the gods for robbing him of his identity and (after)life and B) die.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

ApplesandOranges posted:

Levels don't help as much as other FFs either. Like a swarm of crabs can still smash a Noct's face in even if he's substantially stronger.

The best benefit of more levels is the added health.

Thank God I'm not the only one. I outlevel those crabs outside the waterfall cave by a bit and still have to chug healing items to win. They make me feel bad at the game but I bring my a-game against those fucks.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Terper posted:

Ardyn wanted to either/both A) deplete the crystal of its power and kill its Chosen One to spite the gods for robbing him of his identity and (after)life and B) die.
Ardyn stuff
Yeah Ardyn was explicitly about proving the gods wrong with their whole chosen one buisness, he needed you fully powered up on Kingly power to prove that

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Deified Data posted:

Thank God I'm not the only one. I outlevel those crabs outside the waterfall cave by a bit and still have to chug healing items to win. They make me feel bad at the game but I bring my a-game against those fucks.

I think dodging/positioning is way more of an important factor in combat than I'm letting it be when I fight those crabs. They hit like a train, but their wind-up is so obvious and I just ignore it in favor of a couple extra whacks. I am probably undergeared which might be part of it, but between the fights getting longer because we do so little damage (except to magitek ODSTs, which I just whip out the bigass sword and whirl around to kill fast) and the increasing damage output of enemies, I'm starting to think I should try figuring out where in the world I should be so I can buy proper gear.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Stormgale posted:

Ardyn stuff
Yeah Ardyn was explicitly about proving the gods wrong with their whole chosen one buisness, he needed you fully powered up on Kingly power to prove that

RIP in peace bro :unsmith:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Are the 3 bar techniques worthwhile? Seems like they'd only be good on long fights and after you've gotten the skill to remove the damage cap.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

RatHat posted:

Are the 3 bar techniques worthwhile? Seems like they'd only be good on long fights and after you've gotten the skill to remove the damage cap.

They're great if you need to kill lots of mobs, and I believe that on multi-part bosses they'll hit all the parts, racking up damage.

Gladio's Impulse is great for killing off those Thunder Bomb packs in Costlenark, for instance.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Hahaha, do the boys have any unique dialog for choosing an Ardyn photo? I'd imagine they would be a bit weirded out.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ApplesandOranges posted:

They're great if you need to kill lots of mobs, and I believe that on multi-part bosses they'll hit all the parts, racking up damage.

Gladio's Impulse is great for killing off those Thunder Bomb packs in Costlenark, for instance.

Yeah but are fights with lots of enemies even going to last long enough for that? Does that happen in endgame?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

RatHat posted:

Yeah but are fights with lots of enemies even going to last long enough for that? Does that happen in endgame?

Yes.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Holy poo poo you guys weren't kidding about chapter 13. I thought 4 thought 12 were bad but 13 is easily one of the least fun things I've played in a long, long while.

Also not going to use his name and it's too dumb for a spoiler but why did what's his face have a robot arm and die? Why should we care about any of this?

e: so many characters in this game are Stan from True Detective season 2. They get no screen time and have no backstory but apparently their deaths are supposed to mean something

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Tomie knows me posted:

Hahaha, do the boys have any unique dialog for choosing an Ardyn photo? I'd imagine they would be a bit weirded out.

They say something like I guess a King has to be forgiving....

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Yodzilla posted:

Holy poo poo you guys weren't kidding about chapter 13. I thought 4 thought 12 were bad but 13 is easily one of the least fun things I've played in a long, long while.

Also not going to use his name and it's too dumb for a spoiler but why did what's his face have a robot arm and die? Why should we care about any of this?

I think that was just another one of those rough seams where large sections of the back half of the game were basically excised with a hacksaw to get something out the door. Its not too hard to see where the original plan was for notvenice and the actual emperial lands were suppose to be their own open world sections and they had to be removed for the sake of actually releasing the game in our lifetimes.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
RIP Jared, you lived in a hotel I guess.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

e: so many characters in this game are Stan from True Detective season 2. They get no screen time and have no backstory but apparently their deaths are supposed to mean something

He had a robot arm because he burned his actual one off in Kingsglaive when he tried to take the Ring and keep his sister from dealing with the rites but wasn't of royal blood so he got his rear end burned. He was executed for purposely loving over the Empire's war efforts by actively making terrible battle plans with the intent of losing, since his sister eventually got to him and made him trust in Noctis

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Yodzilla posted:

RIP Jared, you lived in a hotel I guess.

hahahaha, best eulogy for his character possible.

Interesting read here about chapter 13. I always think it's cool to see games writers put this level of thought into articles regardless of if I agree with it completely or not.
https://www.wired.com/2016/12/final-fantasy-xv-patch/

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

He had a robot arm because he burned his actual one off in Kingsglaive when he tried to take the Ring and keep his sister from dealing with the rites but wasn't of royal blood so he got his rear end burned. He was executed for purposely loving over the Empire's war efforts by actively making terrible battle plans with the intent of losing, since his sister eventually got to him and made him trust in Noctis

yeeeeah, this all went completely over my head even though I watched Kingsglaive. I had some semblance of a notion that he had been turned around and become a good guy but didn't really realize he willfully torpedoed the Empire's war efforts. makes much more sense given this explanation

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Andrast posted:

gently caress level scaling. I'd rather be overpowered.

Yeah. If everything scales to your level, what's the point of the leveling your character up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

MMD3 posted:

yeeeeah, this all went completely over my head even though I watched Kingsglaive. I had some semblance of a notion that he had been turned around and become a good guy but didn't really realize he willfully torpedoed the Empire's war efforts. makes much more sense given this explanation

Also given the state of the bodies where you first happen upon his body: They never say specifically that he was executed, only that he faced corporal punishment. The way he looks when you first happen upon the blade makes it seem like he was making some sort of failed desperate last stand with the last of the non-corrupted imperial soldiers holding out against the daemons.

While we're talking about "poo poo in chapter 13 that pisses us off". Is anyone as as dumbfounded as I was at Prompto admitting appropos of nothing that he was some sort of Magitech creation? The whole reveal comes out of nowhere, does nothing about the implications of it, advances nothing, and is dropped almost immediately after he says it. His big reveal could of been "I'm secretly a miniature dolphin in a robot prompto suit" and the scene would of made just as much sense.

• Locked thread