Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Do orc knights/priests/sorcerrors eventually upgrade into the next tier of orcs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
There's a reason my little three sentence melee guide up there spends one of its sentences on how to kill a hydra.

On thing I've noticed in the last couple releases is that hand crossbows are really good and if you find an early one are a nice option for ranged with a shield.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Do orc knights/priests/sorcerrors eventually upgrade into the next tier of orcs?
Knights will become warlords, priests high priests, wizards sorcerers. ~the strat~ is to train up only like 4-5 melee orcs at once(so the XP is less split between them) into warlords and gift them all polearms(pref. 1H polearms)

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

IronicDongz posted:

Knights will become warlords, priests high priests, wizards sorcerers. ~the strat~ is to train up only like 4-5 melee orcs at once(so the XP is less split between them) into warlords and gift them all polearms(pref. 1H polearms)
As someone who hates playing orc jesus style and hasn't for several versions now, why would you prefer 1H polearms on your people? You can only gift them once so they wouldn't be able to benefit from getting a shield right? Do orc minions not all attack at a baseline 1.0?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Monster attack delay with a weapon is (10+[base delay])/2 ex: a monster attacking with a bardiche has an attack delay of 15 and one with a spear has an attack delay of 10 or 11 randomly. Basically the delay they will have is an average of the weapon's delay and 1.0.

This means your orc warlords will output more damage with a spear than a bardiche, because most of their damage per hit comes from their base damage(32), not their weapon, and they'll attack significantly faster. (32+6 at 10.5 delay=36.19 max damage per aut for spear, 32+18 at 15 delay=33.3 max damage per aut on average for bardiche) Then, on top of that, having a 1H weapon means they can get a shield, which is by a long shot the thing which improves their survivability the most(just think about how much more annoying it is to kill monsters with shields than monsters without).

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 9, 2016

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I guess that would explain why the knight with the vampiric trident was an unstoppable murder machine.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wow, I didn't realize Orc Jesus was Dwarf Fortress.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Yeah I'm up to like 45 followers at d:9.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
definitely ditch like all but a few by telling them to wait, going down a floor, and then just recalling a few. they'll level up far faster

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

definitely ditch like all but a few by telling them to wait, going down a floor, and then just recalling a few. they'll level up far faster

Alternately: Drown the unbelievers in a sea of blood.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
ps if there's like, an orc wizard or priest or whatever you don't want who keeps getting recalled before orcs you do want you can always kill them without incurring penance via standing in shallow water, using wand of flame on yourself to make steam, then switching spots with them so they get scalded to death.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

First floor of Spider has had 4 emperor scorpions and a ghost moth...

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

IronicDongz posted:

ps if there's like, an orc wizard or priest or whatever you don't want who keeps getting recalled before orcs you do want you can always kill them without incurring penance via standing in shallow water, using wand of flame on yourself to make steam, then switching spots with them so they get scalded to death.

This sounds almost cartoonishly uncrawl-like, maybe they should just let you dismiss allies on command

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

apple posted:

This sounds almost cartoonishly uncrawl-like, maybe they should just let you dismiss allies on command

Yeah like, "excommunicate" or "send to Orc valhalla" or whatever rather than this giant roundabout way to get rid of guys you don't want.

But I haven't played an Orc Jesus in forever.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Get 100 followers then use discord.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Jesus, had a good run going with a Troll Monk (as predicted as soon as I wanted Jiyva the altar wasn't at the lair entrance). Went down some swamp stairs and 4 hydras attacked me 30 times and I died instantly.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Oh, hey, Scrolls of Immolation are an awful idea when worshiping Beogh. Who knew!?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's about as bad as using scrolls of immolation when you're surrounded by popcorn without sufficient rF. Except in your case you're doing it to friendly popcorn!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

My only Orc Jesus win was to just be buff enough to beat everything by myself and let my orcs spawn and die around me. Whenever I needed to escape, I used them as meatshields to buy me time to tele or climb the stairs. When some of them got lucky to get names, I gave them my bad randarts (and eventually, Firestarter).

I tried recalling on the entrance while escaping with the Orb, but nobody came. I may not have been a very good Orc Jesus.

E:
code:
86356 | Zot:5    | Your ally Argrim died
 86356 | Zot:5    | Your ally Bogwik died
 86361 | Zot:5    | Your ally Herok died
 86362 | Zot:5    | Your ally Bogward died
 86363 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire
 86370 | Zot:5    | Your ally Warrok died
 86374 | Zot:5    | Your ally Boderik died
 86374 | Zot:5    | Your ally Olfrun died

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 9, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Got my first 15 rune win the other day. First time doing Pan, Hells, or a Zig. Thanks to the peeps in discord for the advice, especially to go in the zig to clear my malmutations. I had a couple holy-poo poo moments, once in hell at 25hp surrounded and fighting Dispater, and once in the zig facing a bunch of pan lords. Both times I managed to survive by spamming heals to get ~100hp and then going ham and just slicing everyone to ribbons with my axe. The DPS with finesse going was insane. !!!! hits all over.

code:
10305787 taqueso the Conqueror (level 27, 249/249 HPs)
             Began as a Formicid Warper on Dec 2, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Okawaru.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Dec 5, 2016!

The game lasted 19:33:24 (164279 turns).

taqueso the Conqueror (Formicid Warper)           Turns: 164279, Time: 19:33:25

Health: 249/249    AC: 39    Str: 23    XL:     27
Magic:  37/37      EV: 20    Int: 31    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   11327      SH: 28    Dex: 11    Spells: 1/46 levels left

rFire  + . .      SeeInvis +    b - +9 triple crossbow (velocity)
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    o - +6 storm dragon scales "Esmanei" {*Slow rElec rN+ Int+4 SInv}
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    y - +2 large shield {reflect}
rPois  +          Spirit   .    (helmet unavailable)
rElec  +          Reflect  +    C - +2 cloak {rPois}
rCorr  .          Harm     .    p - +3 pair of gauntlets of War {Slay+5}
MR     +++++      Clarity  +    (no boots)
Stlth  ++........               F - amulet of the Four Winds {rN+ MR+++ Clar}
                                B - ring "Wyss" {rF+ rN+ Str+6 Int+5}
                                W - ring "Vuoluwn" {Wiz rC+}
https://crawl.jorgrun.rocks/morgue/taqueso/morgue-taqueso-20161205-013444.txt

taqueso fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 9, 2016

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
How much damage is eight exclams? Because in the twenty seven swords game I got that once. Thanks boots of the assassin!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Jesus, had a good run going with a Troll Monk (as predicted as soon as I wanted Jiyva the altar wasn't at the lair entrance). Went down some swamp stairs and 4 hydras attacked me 30 times and I died instantly.

Now THIS...

is working as intended

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

cheetah7071 posted:

How much damage is eight exclams? Because in the twenty seven swords game I got that once. Thanks boots of the assassin!

All this information is according to the knowledge bots because I wouldn't even know where to start looking myself.

Ignoring ! (which is arbitrarily 7-17) each band has a start point twice as high as the last, so 18-35 for !!, 36-71 for !!!, etc.

This means eight !s is 1152-2303 damage. Even if you misread it and it was only 7, it would be 576-1151, which is still going to make a fine paste out of anything.

Prism fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 9, 2016

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Elaborately scalding your orc followers to death in an elaborate ritual is very orc Jesus though

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
My HOMo got a Jiyya altar on D2. I never found any armor better than the +0 ring mail i picked up on D1. By D6 I had maxed my piety, but found no source for muts beyond gifts. Then a hornet paralyzes me and I get murdered by 4 polearm wights.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This is my first time clearing out snake 4

Man it feels good to loving hammer these naga like a gong.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Floodkiller posted:

My only Orc Jesus win was to just be buff enough to beat everything by myself and let my orcs spawn and die around me. Whenever I needed to escape, I used them as meatshields to buy me time to tele or climb the stairs. When some of them got lucky to get names, I gave them my bad randarts (and eventually, Firestarter).

I tried recalling on the entrance while escaping with the Orb, but nobody came. I may not have been a very good Orc Jesus.

Winning with Beogh is about learning to treat perma-allies as disposable chaff. It's useful to have a reserve of powerful units but if you put effort into keeping them alive they're more of a liability than an asset.

And the allies are almost flavor compared to how game-changing smite is.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Why did nobody tell me how good Fedhas is?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Microcline posted:

Winning with Beogh is about learning to treat perma-allies as disposable chaff. It's useful to have a reserve of powerful units but if you put effort into keeping them alive they're more of a liability than an asset.

And the allies are almost flavor compared to how game-changing smite is.
this is incorrect

warlords will shred absolutely anything in a 3-rune game and you are hugely incentivized to keep them alive, while smite is useful but even with faith you can't use it all the time and it's mostly just a "once in a while for a problem enemy" thing.
you just have to have the presence of mind to not suicide to keep orcs alive, but that's not hard when you can retreat like normal and then recall to get them out of trouble(and also res them at high piety if need be)

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Hubris:
Just having ascended yet another FoFi^Chei (but this one without any amazing floorgod luck), I had the conceited thought to go for a streak. To make it hard for myself (but actually just because it was what I was in the mood for) I selected a MuIE^Sif Muna, not really expecting that much. I had a relatively early temple, and Psyche was kind enough to drop a +2 robe of resistance. Meanwhile I was finding out how frikkin fun 0.19 Sif Muna is. Divine Energy is a hell of a lot more fun and useful than it initially sounds. With 11 MP I was casting throw icicle without concern and later summoning ice beasts every few turns while retreating. I started actually feeling confident after clearing a hellish floor 10-12 to reach the Lair.

Of course, when I stumbled across a Volcano I had to go in. What was the worst that could happen? I negated rF weakness and they're usually pretty simple pushovers.

I didn't flee upon seeing the ogre mage. I killed the ogre mage. I didn't retreat upon seeing the two-headed ogres. I killed them. I didn't retreat upon seeing the hell knight. I didn't retreat upon seeing the hell knight take off oh, say, half of my health through an ice beast screen. I still didn't retreat until I was finally dead one more lucky bolt of fire later.

So I was high on Sif Muna. Once I started using Divine Energy right, it was addictive as gently caress, like Trog for magic. I also got amazingly power-drunk and stupid.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
How bad is Fedhas wrath, I'm loving tired of not having any fruits

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

this is incorrect

warlords will shred absolutely anything in a 3-rune game and you are hugely incentivized to keep them alive, while smite is useful but even with faith you can't use it all the time and it's mostly just a "once in a while for a problem enemy" thing.
you just have to have the presence of mind to not suicide to keep orcs alive, but that's not hard when you can retreat like normal and then recall to get them out of trouble(and also res them at high piety if need be)

I'm being a bit hyperbolic but I think letting Beogh affect your mentality is a mistake most players make the first few times. There's no god who turns the game into Fire Emblem. A warlord is an immensely powerful consumable (and a consumable that you get to keep if you win or run away early enough), but they're only valuable to the extent that they keep you alive.

Smite is unique in being (to my knowledge) the only 100% unmitigable way of removing a problem enemy. Even if you don't want to think about when to use it you can still trivialize every unique and player ghost in a 3-rune game.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Why did nobody tell me how good Fedhas is?

cheetah7071 posted:

How bad is Fedhas wrath, I'm loving tired of not having any fruits

lol

Fedhas summons hostile minions, and basically every god wrath that summons hostile minions is crazy deadly. Except Kiku because his summons depend on the level you're on.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Fedhas' wrath is pretty bad, but if you think you can survive Okawaru's wrath then you can probably survive Fedhas' pretty easily.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Fedhas' wrath is pretty bad, but if you think you can survive Okawaru's wrath then you can probably survive Fedhas' pretty easily.
The reason I want to switch is because I want a god that can make up for me being crazy weak. Fedhas was doing that till I ran out of fruit but I guess I'm stuck with him now

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Lost my first good character to panic. Had an orc warrior down at low health, but I was also at low health and out of mana from the rest of the orc band. I tried to kite it and kept spending mana as it generated on magic darts hoping to get one strong shot in to finish it instead of saving 3 for a conjure flame to escape down a hallway. I could have had a 100% chance of killing it later instead of gambling on a lucky shot as I ran away from it. Annoying, but I know what I did wrong at least.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

cheetah7071 posted:

The reason I want to switch is because I want a god that can make up for me being crazy weak. Fedhas was doing that till I ran out of fruit but I guess I'm stuck with him now

If you have disposable blink and are able to survive Abyss, do it. Blink like crazy away from summons and then just run. Works for Oka and Trog too.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Fedhas summons oklobs and wandering mushrooms around you (and the oklobs can fire through the wandering mushrooms), and occasionally creates spores from corpses.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I really dislike the anime loading screen. I hope its removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Jesus christ it is like V:5 has an endless parade of jerks. I've been stairdancing this for an hour, including 3 separate banishings.

• Locked thread