Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Tippis posted:

Beyond the point where you're doubling in sub-million credit ships and without wanting to kill yourself? No.
What you would consider “decent money” will scale with experience and will quickly go beyond what the game is willing to provide through normal means.

A single class 4 gimbaled multicannon costs the same as a base Asp Explorer. The money sinks in this game are ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

INTJ Mastermind posted:

A single class 4 gimbaled multicannon costs the same as a base Asp Explorer. The money sinks in this game are ridiculous.

There's no way that's tru-

Oh my god, he's right :stare:

It's been so long since I had to worry about money I guess I've forgotten.

>cash on hand drops below 500,000,000

>sweats

Giovanni0109
Apr 28, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Have there been any improvements to this in the last three or so months with respect to VR? Last time I tried it with my Vive performance issues were a serious problem, text was hard to read and trying to work the galaxy map was a private hell.

If you have a NVidia GPU, you now get asynchronous reprojection in SteamVR. That plus they have made Supersampling and HMD Image Quality settings available in the graphics options really leads to an improvement in sharpness. It's still pixelated because of Vive limitations, but it's definitely much improved in terms of readability. I recommend playing around with those two settings (I have a 1070 and play with SS=1.0 and HMD quality=1.5, occasionally turning down to 1.25 or 1.0 in really graphically intense situations). Overall, it's much, much better than it was.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Angrymog posted:

Here's a secret about engineers. If you're not doing serious PVP you don't need to engineer.

Also they cut back requirements and increased the amount of commodities you collect significantly.

Even if you don't give a poo poo about combat, you should at least do the FSD engineer upgrades. It's one of the easiest ones to do anyway and seriously increases jump range which you always want. Power distributor is really useful too. Everything else, whatever, do it if you are bored.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Normal person: "hey Frontier the costs of ships plus components are out of control, how do you balance that against the grind? If my rebuy is 20M Cr and it takes me 20 hours to make that much, I'm not going to engage in PvP/Open play."

Brown sea sailor: "you don't have to A-grade your ships :smug:"

What is wrong with these people?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Autism and disability checks.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Normal person: "hey Frontier the costs of ships plus components are out of control, how do you balance that against the grind? If my rebuy is 20M Cr and it takes me 20 hours to make that much, I'm not going to engage in PvP/Open play."

I saw someone on the brown sea respond to a complaint of "some of us have families and jobs and don't have time for hundreds of hours of grinding" with "make time" once. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Pilchenstein posted:

I saw someone on the brown sea respond to a complaint of "some of us have families and jobs and don't have time for hundreds of hours of grinding" with "make time" once. :v:

I feel the only sensible answer to that would be a short "OK, you're right. I'll go and make time for my family." Then log out, shut down the computer and go spend time with your family.

After a certain point there is nothing won from recognizing someone's stupidity, just pretend they said something worthwile instead and ignore them.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

I mean they're not wrong. Another thing this thread is obsessed with, can't fly a ship unless everything's A.

Two separate arguments thought; the inflated prices definitely are an issue.

I'd be fine with the costs of things and even the time it takes to get them if there was an actual fun process to get there. Currently there is no direction in gameplay and there is not enough there to properly have fun sandboxing your way to the upper 1/3 of ships and modules.

They need to be spending time and effort on personalization; they're designing some bastardized mmorpg which is fine, except there are basically zero RPG mechanics. Make me care about missions and factions, let me personalize my ship, etc.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

They need to be spending time and effort on personalization; they're designing some bastardized mmorpg which is fine, except there are basically zero RPG mechanics. Make me care about missions and factions, let me personalize my ship, etc.

One thing that I'd like to see is a set of pilot "skills" or "traits". Instead of the entirety of the game revolving around money, allow your pilot to have some kind of ability to fly or perform better after hundreds of hours of play.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Propagandist posted:

One thing that I'd like to see is a set of pilot "skills" or "traits". Instead of the entirety of the game revolving around money, allow your pilot to have some kind of ability to fly or perform better after hundreds of hours of play.
It'd just turn into "okay so I can do 0.005% more damage after thousands of hours of gameplay" instead of something that would make meaningful sense.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Propagandist posted:

The trouble with this is, the end result would be basically that new characters would fly or perform 'worse' somehow. Don't suggest to them they should make controls less responsive or something until you've 1000 hours flight time, or we'll be grinding that bastard next.

There's probably something somewhere they could add here, but I suspect it'd feel like a lack at lower levels rather than a bonus at higher ones.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mr. Crow posted:

I mean they're not wrong. Another thing this thread is obsessed with, can't fly a ship unless everything's A.

Two separate arguments thought; the inflated prices definitely are an issue.

I'd be fine with the costs of things and even the time it takes to get them if there was an actual fun process to get there. Currently there is no direction in gameplay and there is not enough there to properly have fun sandboxing your way to the upper 1/3 of ships and modules.

It's not a seperate argument because the power curve, prices and the reward structure are directly linked. A-rank suggestions usually come from people who have a specific perspective: If you're trying to be competitive, you want A-rank because that's what everyone else uses, outside of possibly trading/courier missions and lower challenge combat stuff. In PvP enemy players are potentially sitting on hundreds of millions and fly A-ranked, engineered ships. You can explore with an Asp-E without an A-rank FSD that costs as much as the ship but I can see how people don't think that's very fun. NPCs who have the equivalent of A-rank gear and engineered components quickly become a problem for average players without those things.

Even though you don't need them to have fun, there are going to be people who consider having A-rank stuff, an Anaconda or engineered mods to be fun, and then see there's no sensible path to most of this stuff - because gameplay rewards have been nerfed so much and because prices are set so high. Meanwhile a lot of people DO have those things from when it was easier to make money/faction rep. And they're the ones telling the other player to suck it up and enjoy their C-rank Cobra Mk.3 more.

Also, people aren't arguing this or that change is the end of ED or the straw that broke the camel's back, it's a gradual thing - FDev makes one step forward (improvements to engineers, ship transfer, module storage, new mission type) and 2+ back (engineer commodities, ship transfer cost/time, module storage cost/time/possible nerf to module resell value/massive nerf to mission income) every single time. I agree more personalization would be a cool thing, and there are other areas where the game could use improvements or new systems and features, instead they're busy doing dumb changes that actively hurt the game - the development goes in the wrong direction, it doesn't matter where everyone's breaking point is exactly.

Also nerfing module resell values is going directly against the notion that people should be happy with "less than A-rank" and upgrade gradually and organically. At 50% loss the example Asp-E's A-rank FSD becomes 25% more expensive if you upgrade E->D->C->B->A instead of E->A. Punishing the guy who doesn't have a huge bank account to upgrade right away, or who can't get the intended rank module in their current station is really silly.

orcane fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 9, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Propagandist posted:

This would work well in a RPG, Elite is a flight sim though, wrong genre my friend.

Or do you really want your joystick to work worse because you don't have learned Piloting lv. 10 yet?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Everything plus a tablespoon of autism. Stir as the pot simmers.

Slow cook over ten years while making star citizen jokes, nervously aware that the unthinkable may happen and star citizen may actually get released before elite is finished, especially on the current glacial timeline progress.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
What ED could learn from RPGs:

missions (+rewards),
customization in general:
  • cosmetic stuff, and I don't mean item store stuff no one can see
  • mess with your ship's performance without it being straight +1 upgrades (meaningless engineering penalties don't count, more like "downgrade core mods to decrease weight" but for other modules)

What ED really doesn't need from RPGs:
pointless stat systems of the "punch your dick 100 hours = 10% better at dick punching than the other guy" kind

:colbert:

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Yeah, you're probably right - I don't honestly have a solution for it. It just seems to me like you can hop in any ship you have the money for, and your progress is honestly tracked by how much money you have.

I guess what I would want is more general: a way to enhance your character or performance in a way outside of credits.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

orcane posted:

What ED could learn from RPGs:

missions (+rewards),
customization in general:
  • cosmetic stuff, and I don't mean item store stuff no one can see
  • mess with your ship's performance without it being straight +1 upgrades (meaningless engineering penalties don't count, more like "downgrade core mods to decrease weight" but for other modules)

What ED really doesn't need from RPGs:
pointless stat systems of the "punch your dick 100 hours = 10% better at dick punching than the other guy" kind

:colbert:

This was my thought. The best way to handle any sort of RPG mechanics would be to basically revamp engineers. Allow players to essentially do the baseline engineering changes (no special effects) and add some skill system around it. If you're lovely at FSD tinkering and try and make sweeping changes (which it should let you, risk/reward) there are negative consequences. Flat out blowing the module up, chances for misfires when using it etc.

Basically make it around being a mechanic. All of a sudden your ship is now YOUR ship as well and there is the meta game of ship maintenance that was completely removed from the design docs.

Add more interesting special effects to engineers, and make them guaranteed, you bring the mats and the reputation (which you can't lose because wtf lol) and give yourself heal guns or w/e.

There are honestly a million things they could do, like half the stuff from their design docs.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

orcane posted:

It's not a seperate argument because the power curve, prices and the reward structure are directly linked. A-rank suggestions usually come from people who have a specific perspective: If you're trying to be competitive, you want A-rank because that's what everyone else uses, outside of possibly trading/courier missions and lower challenge combat stuff. In PvP enemy players are potentially sitting on hundreds of millions and fly A-ranked, engineered ships. You can explore with an Asp-E without an A-rank FSD that costs as much as the ship but I can see how people don't think that's very fun. NPCs who have the equivalent of A-rank gear and engineered components quickly become a problem for average players without those things.

Even though you don't need them to have fun, there are going to be people who consider having A-rank stuff, an Anaconda or engineered mods to be fun, and then see there's no sensible path to most of this stuff - because gameplay rewards have been nerfed so much and because prices are set so high. Meanwhile a lot of people DO have those things from when it was easier to make money/faction rep. And they're the ones telling the other player to suck it up and enjoy their C-rank Cobra Mk.3 more.

I think you're overstating the competitiveness.

A) What competition? Most players play in solo or private, and even then straight up PvP fights are pretty infrequent. This would be valid IF there was an active open world but... Well...

B) ESPECIALLY against npcs, your skill as a pilot and the specific ship your flying as well as WHAT modules you have will vastly outweigh your module ratings in a fight. Sure all things being equal module quality plays a huge role, but when you can destroy anacondas in E rated eagles (pre fighters anyway), the argument loses a lot.

C) A rated components are usually like what, twice the cost for maybe 10-15% improvement over B, you really think that's going to make a significant difference if you can't turn and leverage the boost/FFA off?

I'm not saying they don't matter, they definitely do, I just think this thread over values them.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Crow posted:

I think you're overstating the competitiveness.

A) What competition? Most players play in solo or private, and even then straight up PvP fights are pretty infrequent. This would be valid IF there was an active open world but... Well...

B) ESPECIALLY against npcs, your skill as a pilot and the specific ship your flying as well as WHAT modules you have will vastly outweigh your module ratings in a fight. Sure all things being equal module quality plays a huge role, but when you can destroy anacondas in E rated eagles (pre fighters anyway), the argument loses a lot.

C) A rated components are usually like what, twice the cost for maybe 10-15% improvement over B, you really think that's going to make a significant difference if you can't turn and leverage the boost/FFA off?

I'm not saying they don't matter, they definitely do, I just think this thread over values them.

The big reason you want A modules over B is that B modules are excessively heavy :eng101:

Also once your combat rank is high enough the only NPCs you meet are dangerous and up lol if you aren't flying a A rated engineered ship.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

Also once your combat rank is high enough the only NPCs you meet are dangerous and up lol if you aren't flying a A rated engineered ship.

Isn't that only true for interdictions and ships send after you by trading missions? The normal NPCs you see everywhere will stay a rather diverse bunch.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Libluini posted:

Isn't that only true for interdictions and ships send after you by trading missions? The normal NPCs you see everywhere will stay a rather diverse bunch.

Expert NPCs in a RES site are my unicorns.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Propagandist posted:

Umm, you're supposed to develop those skills yourself. ;)

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I always thought "A-rank ships" was just terminology for "top tier". Then again I tend to Play the Game Wrong(c) by planning out ships and then buying them instead of having one ship that I buy bad and slowly upgrade at random.

Mr. Crow posted:

Sure all things being equal module quality plays a huge role, but when you can destroy anacondas in E rated eagles (pre fighters anyway), the argument loses a lot.

While there's probably some challenge mode youtube clip of someone in an eagle spinning around a conda for 30 minutes I don't think crazy hyperbole hurts the argument that it's important to have good ships.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mailer posted:

While there's probably some challenge mode youtube clip of someone in an eagle spinning around a conda for 30 minutes I don't think crazy hyperbole hurts the argument that it's important to have good ships.

To agree and use an analogy from another spaceships game, I can say from personal experience you can spend half an hour whittling down a Xenon M6 with your M4 Argon Buster eventually if you're patient but in no way is it an experience you want to repeat.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

DancingShade posted:

To agree and use an analogy from another spaceships game, I can say from personal experience you can spend half an hour whittling down a Xenon M6 with your M4 Argon Buster eventually if you're patient but in no way is it an experience you want to repeat.

oh my god I thought i was the only one :hf:

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Einbauschrank posted:

Elite Dangerous: Why the hell are you torturing yourself?

At least in my case it was "Elite Dangerous: Because I Really Don't Want To Live On This Planet Anymore"

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Kavros posted:

At least in my case it was "Elite Dangerous: Because I Really Don't Want To Live On This Planet Anymore"

:same:

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

StarkRavingMad posted:

Even if you don't give a poo poo about combat, you should at least do the FSD engineer upgrades. It's one of the easiest ones to do anyway and seriously increases jump range which you always want. Power distributor is really useful too. Everything else, whatever, do it if you are bored.

One complaint I have though is that that the game technology never really evolves.
Having the engineers is good, but with all the galactic news and game lore there's never a sweeping upgrade like "TransCom FSD has announced a breakthrough in frame shift technology that will increase jump range by 35%. Visit your TransCom ship outfitter today to upgrade your drive at a low cost." And then have all FSDs purchased after the announcement get a permanent upgrade.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Turmoil posted:

One complaint I have though is that that the game technology never really evolves.
Having the engineers is good, but with all the galactic news and game lore there's never a sweeping upgrade like "TransCom FSD has announced a breakthrough in frame shift technology that will increase jump range by 35%. Visit your TransCom ship outfitter today to upgrade your drive at a low cost." And then have all FSDs purchased after the announcement get a permanent upgrade.

Closest you're going to get is a community goal which goes well and gives a temporary discount to (stock) FSDs for a week in a particular station. That's about as dynamic as it gets.

Plus I'm sure the brown sea would find something to scream about because fun is bad.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
I'm playing other games and keeping an eye on this thread for someone to announce a new money pinata. Any news?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mailer posted:

I always thought "A-rank ships" was just terminology for "top tier". Then again I tend to Play the Game Wrong(c) by planning out ships and then buying them instead of having one ship that I buy bad and slowly upgrade at random.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufNIuXQPkKg

There are literally dozens of these videos; it's not hard and it certainly doesn't take 30 minutes. What would this thread be without rampant hyperbole :allears:

Like I said previously that specific example is probably less likely to happen now with fighters (I have actually hardly played in 2.2, but that video for instance... why wouldn't they player take over the fighter???); but your ship, skill, and module selection have much more significant roles than whether or not they're A rated.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 10, 2016

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Was that spiralling approach used to counter the old reverseroo trick? I like that, nice flying.

Shame fights like that are a bit contrived though, since unless I'm mistaken there's nothing stopping the conda from just pissing off whenever they want.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

tooterfish posted:

Was that spiralling approach used to counter the old reverseroo trick? I like that, nice flying.

Shame fights like that are a bit contrived though, since unless I'm mistaken there's nothing stopping the conda from just pissing off whenever they want.

But what about my Bushido Honor :cabot:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Do you have a video that's not just someone clowning on a lovely player with a bad loadout? I think most NPCs would have done better in that fight.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
I haven't played in a while, not since I Robigo'ed and Tamar'ed my way into an Imperial Cutter earlier this year.

Is there a reason for me to get back in the game? It seems that all the easy money making methods have gotten nerfed, and besides I already have a Cutter. I'm not really into PVP. Have the missions/exploration/planetary landings gotten more interesting? Are the engineer mods worth it, or is it more like +1% to jump range sort of thing?

Also what's going on with the barnacles?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Engineer mods are super worth it, at least get the thruster and FSD mods. Every ship needs to go faster and go further.

Edit: The end-game content now is basically grinding engineering mats for repeated rolls to min/max your build and keeping up with the latest exploit of the week.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

timn posted:

Do you have a video that's not just someone clowning on a lovely player with a bad loadout? I think most NPCs would have done better in that fight.

Sure http://bit.ly/2gxjQSZ

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mr. Crow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufNIuXQPkKg

There are literally dozens of these videos; it's not hard and it certainly doesn't take 30 minutes. What would this thread be without rampant hyperbole :allears:

Like I said previously that specific example is probably less likely to happen now with fighters (I have actually hardly played in 2.2, but that video for instance... why wouldn't they player take over the fighter???); but your ship, skill, and module selection have much more significant roles than whether or not they're A rated.

Anecdotal evidence is no argument, though. It's like MMO raiders pursuing BiS gear well above what the raids are balanced around. The caveat is the same - player skill and other circumstances have a bigger variance than eg. the 10% difference in gear/stats. However, you can directly control the latter by farming more gear/spending more, reducing the effects of the former.

Can you beat monsters and other players with inferior gear? If you're good, yes. Can you assume you're good enough/better than NPCs, let alone players if you assume your gear is equal or worse? Not necessarily.

ED adds the element of monetary loss, so do you want to gamble losing eg. 50m on the chance you're not actually better than the guy you have to assume has billions and flies A-rank everything while you don't? Or do you wanna increase your rebuy by 10m to A-rank your poo poo and at least equalize gear? A lot of people will say yes, doesn't matter if some didn't and are posting YT videos about it. It also doesn't matter if it's a minority of players even doing competitive stuff in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The brown sea is in this thread.

"It's entirely possible to experience all the content the game has to offer in a D rated Cobra so stop complaining about earnings, insurance costs or stats and just go enjoy the game" :smug:

*zooms off in half billion dollar tuned spaceship*

• Locked thread