Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dunite
Oct 12, 2013
I wish someone could have done MWLL redux with a new engine.

Wouldn't have to give PGI any of my supremely valuable time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Honestly

I don't have trouble doing well with brawling mechs its still viable, the Griffin with an SRM loadout is still terrifying at point blank and if you know how to Torso twist you can take down Kodiaks 1v1 although don't because you'll get mauled event by bad pilots. This is situational if it gets down to a brawl 24x SRMS will pretty much with 1-2 shots kill anything with red armor left outside of maybe an Atlas. So some games I just end up firing volley's into structure and rack up 5-6 kills a match. Other times the brawl never starts until your side is pecked to death and you die doing nothing.

I honestly prefer the Locust to the Cheetah its size makes it really hard to hit although a couple of times a random gauss shot will insta gib you. You are smaller and faster and carry comparable firepower and ECM isn't as good as it once was Radar Dep. though is helpful as it makes life hell for LRM boats.

The Crab is if you like lasers probably the best laser vomit brawler outside of assaults in my opinion because you can run 5/8 with a standard engine and are smaller height wise than anyone but some lights.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
SRM40 Cyclops review:

it owns very hard

Soupisgood
Dec 5, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, I'll try that eventually but right now I'm just cobbling together poo poo with what I have on hand. I already had the UAC10s sitting around and I"m saving up to buy a real engine for it.

When you get the quad UAC 2s, just rename it the wirbelback and run around the map saying you'll take care of the allied aerospace cover.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Soupisgood posted:

When you get the quad UAC 2s, just rename it the wirbelback and run around the map saying you'll take care of the allied aerospace cover.

Nah, that's what you do when you put in the quad LB2X

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Pattonesque posted:

SRM40 Cyclops review:

it owns very hard

Build please?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Drone posted:

Build please?

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=435&l=75293ba023e795bf6a9d3391b579b62574b1e315

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I saw builds like that across last night. The cyclops pilots got a lot of kills. Of course half of them were pubbies so they did it while zoomed in, and got killed when the other team mobbed them. Still dangerous though.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Oh my god that is terrifying

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

ZenVulgarity posted:

Oh my god that is terrifying

Terrifyingly brittle. I tried it a couple of times, got XL-checked immediately, one of the worst experiences with a mech I've had in MW:O. The Cyclops is my least favorite mech out of all I have.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Drop a lot of non-torso armour and use a STD350.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
6 armour on the back is not enough.

Like that is borderline even for a light

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Banano posted:

6 armour on the back is not enough.

It's from metamechs, getting 1 shot in the back is like tradition using those builds.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

TjyvTompa posted:

It's from metamechs, getting 1 shot in the back is like tradition using those builds.

Have your drunken teammates scout

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I regularly run 8-10 armor on the back on my assaults. Dying to back shots is a pretty rare experience even while brawling.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
The Cyclops is very tanky despite the XL. I think for this build the speed you get out of the humongous(ly expensive) engine is more valuable than a safe standard engine. It's pretty amenable to spreading damage as well--only once or twice have I felt I've died significantly faster because of the XL. YMMV

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I rarely get backshot even in brawls.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I routinely run five back armor and die to rear shots rarely. Those extra points are way more valuable up front for trading.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
you really only need enough back armor to live through a single alpha from like a Cheetah or something

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah pretty much. If you're dying routinely to back shots you need better situational awareness. Get seismic, learn to look around when not in a fight, and try not to be in places where your teammates won't be able to cover you if something comes from an odd angle.

I'd say dying to a back shot is rarer than one in twenty games and I run less than ten armor and generally less than five on my builds. That means that having armor back there would help me less than 5% of the time. On the other hand, having armor up front helps me in every single game I play.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
I like that one guy who maxed the poo poo out of his Mauler's back armour while making the front paper thin, under the logic that anything in front of him was going to die anyways because of sheer dakka output

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Can someone explain why the gently caress people like Polar Highlands so much?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Drone posted:

Can someone explain why the gently caress people like Polar Highlands so much?

LRMs.

It's also not terrible if you're in a fast hill humper. I'm not hating it when I drop in my huchback 2

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Seismic needs to die, it's awful

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Just wanted to let everyone know that I played an hour or so of Mechwarrior 4: Mercs online last night.

Single-weapon boat pop-tartery abounds.

I SRM boated someone successfully exactly one time. All other times I was one or two-shot core'd from a weapon I've yet to identify (thanks MekTek 3.1).

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Just wanted to let everyone know that I played an hour or so of Mechwarrior 4: Mercs online last night.

Single-weapon boat pop-tartery abounds.

I SRM boated someone successfully exactly one time. All other times I was one or two-shot core'd from a weapon I've yet to identify (thanks MekTek 3.1).

Welcome to competitive MW4 play. The kind of poo poo every vet from that said they didn't want in MWO and then immediately jumped on as soon as it became available.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Pattonesque posted:

SRM40 Cyclops review:

it owns very hard

You can make a SRM42 Cyclops that owns even harder. Record so far is 2100 damage with it. Then a locust found me and I was powerless to stop him.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

NihilCredo posted:

Drop a lot of non-torso armour and use a STD350.

CP-10-Q

I'd drop more head armour but someone said these things have massive head boxes. You could lose more from the legs to put on the arms maybe, or for another heat sink (pushing it)

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 9, 2016

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Gaghskull posted:

You can make a SRM42 Cyclops that owns even harder. Record so far is 2100 damage with it. Then a locust found me and I was powerless to stop him.

It's more damage but probably less useful damage. Artemis is very noticeable on SRM6s.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

NihilCredo posted:

It's more damage but probably less useful damage. Artemis is very noticeable on SRM6s.

There is a solution for this, MORE MISSLES. Though you will overheat if you alpha strike two volleys. But it's a good "AAAH" button when you get surprised.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

does anyone else strip out most of their head armor? headshots are pretty rare so I feel safe cutting that down to like 6 or so.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Jack2142 posted:

does anyone else strip out most of their head armor? headshots are pretty rare so I feel safe cutting that down to like 6 or so.

Depends on the mech.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I take back everything bad I said about the CP-10-Q. Spent the GXP to elite it and kitted it out with modules. I am giving everyone the business now.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

TjyvTompa posted:

I take back everything bad I said about the CP-10-Q. Spent the GXP to elite it and kitted it out with modules. I am giving everyone the business now.

I am legit averaging 700 damage in it with several 1K games. Even if you get ambushed you can kill or core another robbit before going down

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Skoll posted:

The kind of poo poo every vet from that said they didn't want in MWO and then immediately jumped on as soon as it became available.

The kind of poo poo every vet from that said they didn't want (other people to use) in MWO so they could exploit idiots for easy kills.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Pattonesque posted:

I am legit averaging 700 damage in it with several 1K games. Even if you get ambushed you can kill or core another robbit before going down

I've gone head to head with kodiaks and survived, in the right conditions you feel almost invulnerable dishing out hot death to anyone that dares come within 300 meters.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Soupisgood posted:

What's this a reference to?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TheParadigm posted:

the Nazis

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

TheParadigm posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirbelwind

E:fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

TjyvTompa posted:

I've gone head to head with kodiaks and survived, in the right conditions you feel almost invulnerable dishing out hot death to anyone that dares come within 300 meters.

I think a secret side benefit of the Cyclops is since it takes so much fire to bring down it makes everyone firing at you hit their heat cap quick, which means your teammates can clean up

• Locked thread