Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

TheKingofSprings posted:

I've been out of the legacy loop for a while, what's this deck do differently to justify the red and is it really better than UB Reanimator?

This is roughly what I've been running online:

4 Chancellor of the Annex
1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
3 Griselbrand
1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
1 Sire of Insanity
1 Tidespout Tyrant
3 Animate Dead
4 Dark Ritual
4 Entomb
4 Exhume
4 Faithless Looting
4 Lotus Petal
4 Reanimate
4 Thoughtseize
4 Unmask
3 Badlands
1 Bayou
4 Bloodstained Mire
3 Polluted Delta
3 Swamp

3 Abrupt Decay
1 Archetype of Endurance
1 Blazing Archon
2 Collective Brutality
2 Massacre
3 Reverent Silence
3 Stronghold Gambit

Pros:
- Lots of hands are capable of reanimating a T1 fatty with built-in protection in the form of Chancellor of the Annex
- Can actually cast Griselbrand/Sire of Insanity
- Badlands are way, way cheaper than Underground Seas
- Easy to splash other colors; green for Reverent Silence, white for Wear//Tear or Children of Korlis for the Tin Fins splash, blue for Show & Tell, or more red for Sneak Attack

Cons:
- No blue means it's much weaker to hate post-board; you can't counter or bounce your opponent's T1 Grafdigger's Cage, Leyline, DRS, Surgical, etc., and have to draw naturally into your hate-hate

It's a question of going under with a T1 Griselbrand vs. going over with T4 Griselbrand and Force backup. The best explanation I've seen is that the Legacy metagame has warped so much around Miracles, it's created an opening such that glass-cannon-style combo decks are stronger than they've been in the past. Leyline of the Void is the best card against it, and Eldrazi and Aggro Loam are basically the only decks that run it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Stronghold gambit is some neat sideboard tech.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Thanks. I guess you're playing alot of lands because of Bloodghast?

More because after board you have to cast your anti-hate spells consistently, and cabal pit takes the place of removal for priests/jailers. Also loam was amazing all weekend, rebuying pits or bazaars game 1 and being another way to rebuild your hand to keep bazaaring when digging for answers while keeping cards in hand after board.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

L0cke17 posted:

More because after board you have to cast your anti-hate spells consistently, and cabal pit takes the place of removal for priests/jailers. Also loam was amazing all weekend, rebuying pits or bazaars game 1 and being another way to rebuild your hand to keep bazaaring when digging for answers while keeping cards in hand after board.

And you found that DK is better than Flamekin Zealot?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

mcmagic posted:

And you found that DK is better than Flamekin Zealot?

Yes. Moat is a card, and being able to fly over token armies has been consistently relevant.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Fun fact: I own about 50 Stronghold Gambit because we were thinking it was going to be awesome in Sneak and Show/Know and Tell sideboards.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

I've been playing with this deck the last couple of weeks, and while I won't say it's tier one or even the best version of reanimator, it has a niche, and it's fun as hell to play. It's also only just over $300 to put together. I built this and Maverick at the same time, and I have yet to touch Maverick, because I've been enjoying this deck so much.

18 Swamp
2 Lake of the Dead

4 Grave Titan
1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
1 Griselbrand
1 Ashen Rider
1 Iona, Shield of Emeria

4 Reanimate
2 Animate Dead
2 Exhume
4 Entomb
4 Collective Brutality
2 Smallpox
4 Thoughtseize
2 Duress
3 Hymn to Tourach
4 Dark Ritual
1 Diabolic Tutor (still trying to figure out what this should be, but it's not been terrible)

Sideboard
4 Leyline of the Void
3 Helm of Obedience
1 Massacre
2 Dread of Night
3 Pithing Needle
2 Ratchet Bomb

I've taken it to two weeklies (at which I went 4-0 and 3-1). Deck's real. It's not too difficult to dismantle combo or fight through permission with all the discard. Graveyard hate is obviously bad for the plan, but it's not uncommon, because of Lake of the Dead, to hard cast a Grave Titan on turn 3.
Easily the toughest matchup, I've found is D&T, although I imagine any deck with Karakas and StP is tough going.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Trilas posted:

1 Diabolic Tutor (still trying to figure out what this should be, but it's not been terrible)

If you're willing to spend way the gently caress too much money Grim Tutor is a better card
also if you're willing to spend a bunch of money this deck seems like a solid home for liliana of the veil

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Elyv posted:

If you're willing to spend way the gently caress too much money Grim Tutor is a better card
also if you're willing to spend a bunch of money this deck seems like a solid home for liliana of the veil

I've always wanted Lilies but not "spend $90 per" want Lilies, and yeah, same goes for Grim Tutor. This is more my dumb, gimmicky combo deck to bring when I don't feel like playing fair. It's just more fun (and better) than I expected it to be.

The legacy meta right now, at least in the Minneapolis area, is really fair, so I've not yet been punished for drawing a 4 mana tutor. Also, it was $.15

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Elyv posted:

I think that when you're mentioning the deck costs $300 it's because you're not looking to purchase a single card that costs $250.

I feel like a singleton buried alive would to a lot of work here, especially if you find yourself tutoring for a creature or entomb often.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

I think that when you're mentioning the deck costs $300 it's because you're not looking to purchase a single card that costs $250.

I feel like a singleton buried alive would to a lot of work here, especially if you find yourself tutoring for a creature or entomb often.

Yeah! I don't know why I didn't think of Buried Alive. I'll definitely get one and try that out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Maybe I should pick up my fourth CoBru...

Is it mostly there as a budget choice, or is Duress strong enough for Legacy play? I imagine that here it's enough that it can hit a lot of GY hate turn 1 on the play.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

C-Euro posted:

Is it mostly there as a budget choice, or is Duress strong enough for Legacy play? I imagine that here it's enough that it can hit a lot of GY hate turn 1 on the play.

Maindeck Duress can definitely backfire, but in terms of ability to do its job it's absolutely up to snuff; against Miraces or something it's basically Thoughtsieze. It's not really trying to be the same card as Collective Brutality. T1 Discard can pull apart someone's hand before they even get to start playing the game. Brutality gives that up for being flexible enough to serve as something besides just hand disruption.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Voyager I posted:

Maindeck Duress can definitely backfire, but in terms of ability to do its job it's absolutely up to snuff; against Miraces or something it's basically Thoughtsieze. It's not really trying to be the same card as Collective Brutality. T1 Discard can pull apart someone's hand before they even get to start playing the game. Brutality gives that up for being flexible enough to serve as something besides just hand disruption.

Oh no I wasn't trying to make a CoBru vs. Duress argument, I'm just trying to think what I would cut for a couple of Lilis.

E: CoBru is sweet and it's cool to see it in Legacy.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 10, 2016

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

C-Euro posted:

CoBru is fantastic in the deck, and it wouldn't work nearly as well without it. Discard a creature, take your Swords or counter is a great way to spend turn two. Sometimes, you even get to kill a DRS or a Mom with it, as well.

Edit: I guess if we're talking what to swap for Lilies, I'd say the Hymns? Even though Hymn is a really fun spell to cast, I'd say that's the slot where Liliana belongs, if you're including her. I don't know if she goes in there though? There are definitely games that you're just looking for one thing to get a reanimation (or just ram out a Grave Titan from your hand) that I don't know if discarding each turn is where you want to be.

Edit edit: actually, definitely Liliana goes in the Smallpox slot.

Trilas fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 10, 2016

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

C-Euro posted:

CB is pretty great even as a T2 play. In one spell, you can remove a counterspell, kill a Deathrite Shaman, and uncounterably throw a Griselbrand into your graveyard. It's an ideal tool for reanimator strategies.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I don't see why Duress would be considered a budget choice in that deck. You've already got 4 Thoughtseize and 4 CoBru, you want more 1 drop discard and the only other card that is arguably better is cabal therapy, but cabal therapy is typically strongest when you are trying to grab a specific card to go off on a specific turn, whereas the high quantity of discard here is really to grind them out. While it may have flashback potential off a grave titan, that's basically win-more.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

it's even better mainboard for those sickos running Burning Wish :wattup:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Tonight I got to watch Song of the Dryad enchant a Jace, the Mind Sculptor, and then the Jace tap to activate a Top.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

legacy is the best, after pauper

wizards please print JTMS at common

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

And Deep-Fried Elder.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

cube is the best of legacy and pauper

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

I don't have a lot of Legacy experience under my belt, but I'm guessing you bring this in for matchups where your opponent isn't going to have creatures in hand so you win by default, right?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

C-Euro posted:

I don't have a lot of Legacy experience under my belt, but I'm guessing you bring this in for matchups where your opponent isn't going to have creatures in hand so you win by default, right?

It's mostly for other fast combo decks, especially Storm, but also surprisingly decks like Omnitell or 12-post. Their cheapest creature is often Kozilek or Ulamog, so your own Griselbrand still gets cheated into play. You could even Gambit in your Sire of Insanity against their Griselbrand and that might be enough.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Another one bites the dust.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 14, 2016

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Is anyone going to GP Louisville (or plays legacy) and wants to jam some matches on XMage? It would probably be a little later this month and im also not interested in buying into legacy on mtgo

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Is anyone going to GP Louisville (or plays legacy) and wants to jam some matches on XMage? It would probably be a little later this month and im also not interested in buying into legacy on mtgo

i'm not going to louisville but I'm generally down for legacy testing. Assuming you want to play against real decks, the thing I am most proficient with is elves.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

I'm hopefully going, although I'd rather avoid going solo, I'll install XMage when I'm home tonight.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

We just need a goon xmage presence, the newer patch of it makes it actually really good.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I'm going if I take down a GPT this weekend (I probably won't ;)).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Skyl3lazer posted:

We just need a goon xmage presence, the newer patch of it makes it actually really good.

:agreed: I've been loving around with it a bunch for the last month while I've been too busy to play in person, it's fun.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

okay cool. i'll install it when i get home from work on Thursday and we can coordinate in this thread

im trying to figure out if i should take steve's deck or just grixis delver. i don't think i have enough time to get proficient at storm

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

okay cool. i'll install it when i get home from work on Thursday and we can coordinate in this thread

im trying to figure out if i should take steve's deck or just grixis delver. i don't think i have enough time to get proficient at storm

Steve's deck is tier 0 so this isn't even a decision is it?

Edit: Also I'm suicidesteve on xmage.de when I'm on, which is never unless I get on to play with someone. Post here or send me a PM or text for the one of you who has my number if you want to play.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 14, 2016

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I'm really interested in playing some Legacy and/or Vintage but I don't live on a coast so I'd be down for some goon xmage leagues or something.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
I'm always down to xmage Legacy and am trying to make it to Louisville as well.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'd jam some legacy on Cockatrice if people want. I don't have xmage.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

I've been playing on xmage a lot. Mostly vintage.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I guess I'll reinstall it!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Finally made it to a Modern FNM and went 2-0-1 split for my troubles :toot: Running RG Titan Breach, first time taking it out (note: one Emrakul was an Urabrask for this FNM)-
Deck: Titan Breach

//Lands
2 Cinder Glade
2 Forest
6 Mountain
4 Stomping Ground
4 Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
3 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

//Spells
1 Anger of the Gods
2 Explore
3 Farseek
3 Lightning Bolt
4 Search for Tomorrow
3 Summoner's Pact
2 Summoning Trap
4 Through the Breach

//Creatures
2 Courser of Kruphix
3 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
4 Primeval Titan
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder

//Sideboard
2 Ancient Grudge
2 Anger of the Gods
1 Back to Nature
2 Choke
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Lightning Bolt
2 Obstinate Baloth
2 Relic of Progenitus
1 Unravel the Æther

Display deck statistics

Round 1 was against UR Pyro Delver. Game 1 he taps out right as I ramp up to six and I stick a Prime Time and ride it to a win. Game 2 he counters a Prime Time and I get to Summoning Trap...and whiff. I draw nothing but lands and ramp for a while but manage to keep his board free of creatures with Valakut. I get down to 4 but get him down to 15, and Breach->Emrakul with a ton of open mana (he had one card in hand and I knew it was a Mana Leak). 1-0 (2-0)

Round 2 was against UWr Control. Game 1 I have Breach & Emrakul in hand ready to cast on turn 4 but he has all his mana open. I decide to go for it...and he doesn't counter! Drop Emrakul much to his surprise, wipe his board, and he can't recover in time before I burn the rest off; he had a Ghost Quarter and I was right at five Mountains & Valakut in play so maybe he thought I'd drop Prime Time and he'd Quarter something in response? Game 2 I don't have the ramp but he only has a Clique for a few turns of beating before I get Titan and enough lands. I have to burn through a Spellskite to get to him but I win the damage race at 1 life, having opted not to play a couple fetches from my hand earlier in the match :sweatdrop: I think I mis-played one or two land grabs in this match, not doubling or tripling up on Valakuts when I had a couple chances. Got there anyway! 2-0 (4-0)

Round 3/Finals was against Ad Nauseum and we were both 2-0 so we split. Played it out for funsies anyway. Game 1 I hit a turn 4 Emrakul, Game 2 he combos off pretty quick and has a Pact of Negation when I try to Naturalize his Phyrexian Unlife in response. Game 3 we both go pretty slow but he hits his combo sooner, I Summoning Trap -> Titan in an attempt to burn him out with Valakuts but I goof by needlessly cracking a fetch before getting a second Valakut into play, which would've given me enough to burn him out (he showed me an Angel's Grace in hand after the match so w/e). But hey, practice. 2-0-1 (5-2), I play this guy every time I'm there and we always go to three games and I always lose, no matter what the matchup is :argh:

Fun deck though, and I won $34 which let me pick up my third Emrakul and a Leyline of the Void (thanks 25% off holiday sale!). Plus there was a new player who was running Mill which automatically made him my best bud, so I helped him out with his deck for a bit.

I sided the Coursers out in all three rounds, either because it couldn't really block anything that was a threat (Rounds 1 and 2) or the incidental lifegain wasn't going to save me (Round 3). Will keep them mainboard for now but I could see one of them switching places with a SB Anger, the Delver player stuck a flipped Delver and Young Pyromancer which could've gotten ugly if I hadn't topdecked a couple Mountains to Valakut them away. I also overheard two regulars talking and apparently no one at my store plays Dredge, so the Relics might come out if that holds true.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Finally made it to a Modern FNM and went 2-0-1 split for my troubles :toot: Running RG Titan Breach, first time taking it out (note: one Emrakul was an Urabrask for this FNM)-
Deck: Titan Breach

//Lands
2 Cinder Glade
2 Forest
6 Mountain
4 Stomping Ground
4 Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
3 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

//Spells
1 Anger of the Gods
2 Explore
3 Farseek
3 Lightning Bolt
4 Search for Tomorrow
3 Summoner's Pact
2 Summoning Trap
4 Through the Breach

//Creatures
2 Courser of Kruphix
3 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
4 Primeval Titan
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder

//Sideboard
2 Ancient Grudge
2 Anger of the Gods
1 Back to Nature
2 Choke
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Lightning Bolt
2 Obstinate Baloth
2 Relic of Progenitus
1 Unravel the Æther

Display deck statistics

Round 1 was against UR Pyro Delver. Game 1 he taps out right as I ramp up to six and I stick a Prime Time and ride it to a win. Game 2 he counters a Prime Time and I get to Summoning Trap...and whiff. I draw nothing but lands and ramp for a while but manage to keep his board free of creatures with Valakut. I get down to 4 but get him down to 15, and Breach->Emrakul with a ton of open mana (he had previously revealed a Mana Leak and I knew it was his only card). 1-0 (2-0)

Round 2 was against UWr Control. Game 1 I have Breach & Emrakul in hand ready to cast one turn 4 but he has all his mana open. I decide to go for it...and he doesn't counter! Drop Emrakul much to his surprise, wipe his board, and he can't recover in time before I burn the rest off. He had a Ghost Quarter and I was right at five Mountains & Valakut in play so maybe he thought I'd drop Prime Time and he'd Quarter something in response? Game 2 I don't have the ramp but he only has a Clique for a few turns of beating before I get Titan and enough lands. I have to burn through a Spellskite to get to him but I win the damage race at 1 life, having opted not to play a couple fetches from my hand earlier in the match :sweat: I think I mis-played one or two land grabs in this match, not doubling or tripling up on Valakuts when I had a couple chances. Got there anyway! 2-0 (4-0)

Round 3 was against Ad Nauseum and we were both 2-0 so we split. Played it out for funsies anyway. Game 1 I hit a turn 4 Emrakul, Game 2 he combos off pretty quick and has a Pact of Negation when I try to Naturalize his Phyrexian Unlife in response. Game 3 we both go pretty slow but he hits his combo sooner, I'm able to Summoning Trap -> Titan to burn him out with Valakuts but I goof by needlessly cracking a fetch before getting a second Valakut into play, which would've given me enough to burn him out (he showed me an Angel's Grace in hand after the match). But hey, practice. 2-0-1 (5-2), I play this guy every time I'm there and we always go to three games and I always lose, no matter what the matchup is :argh:

Fun deck though, and I won $34 which let me pick up my third Emrakul and a Leyline of the Void (thanks 25% off holiday sale!). Plus there was a new player who was running Mill which automatically made him my best bud, so I helped him out with his deck for a bit.

I sided the Coursers out in all three rounds, either because it couldn't really block anything that was a threat (Rounds 1 and 2) or the incidental lifegain wasn't going to save me (Round 3). Will keep them mainboard for now but I could see one of them switching places with a SB Anger, Delver player stuck a flipped Delver and Young Pyromancer which had me sweating. I also overheard two regulars talking and apparently no one at my store plays Dredge, so the Relics might come out if that holds true.

I replaced my Courser with Oracle of Mul Daya. It's only one green and you get extra land drops. Sure, it's only a 2/2, but most of the time, I'm just looking to plow through lands. It was pretty decent last night, but I really need more testing with it. I really like the Urabrask in my maindeck. It offers me a beater and a lot of times, clears removal from their hand and lets the Primetime's run wild.

I went 2-1 drop (losing to Monogreen Tooth and Nail) because we wanted to go to the bar and get food and beer. I beat Martyr Proc and Lantern Control.