Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Plumlee is sorta the Ricky Rubio of centers. He doesn't give you the normal shot blocking, great rebounding or big body that fans expect from a center. Because of that he's very undervalued.

But he was 6th in VORP, 6th in BPM, 14th in WS and 17th in WS/48 among centers last season.

So by pretty much any metric he's an average or above average starting center.

He was 12th in RPM last year (which is good!) but 24th in DRPM which is a concern for a starting-level center. I'm also concerned his efficiency has been declining year over year as he plays more minutes, one of the reasons I like him more as a 6th or 7th guy more than a starter.

The Rubio comparison is not a bad one. I think he takes a lot off the table (like Rubio does for scoring) and it's a question if you can stomach his downsides for his obvious upsides. I usually like centers who has a bit better track record as paint defenders. He also fouls a lot and isn't really getting better at it, another problem if you want to be a starting center in this league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hield probably has whatever disease Sauce got and will need just 2 years of crap play and almost getting cut in training camp to get it out of his system.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

Hield probably has whatever disease Sauce got and will need just 2 years of crap play and almost getting cut in training camp to get it out of his system.

If Sacramento can somehow cut Hield that will help, that seems to do wonders for a bunch of players.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

If Sacramento can somehow cut Hield that will help, that seems to do wonders for a bunch of players.

Trades for JJ Hickson
JJ Hickson sucks
Cuts JJ Hickson
Portland signs JJ Hickson
JJ Hickson plays well for like 2 months
JJ Hickson gets paid

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jesus, Gomez!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Major proclick.

Those passes starting at the 4:00 mark are otherworldly.

Bird was just an insanely good shooter and passer. His body control is really underrated too - both his incredible ball fakes of all kinds, and his ability to switch up his approach to the basket or to reorient into a pass midair. He probably wouldn't be nearly as bad in a modern defense either, he was at least really long.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

Bird was just an insanely good shooter and passer. His body control is really underrated too - both his incredible ball fakes of all kinds, and his ability to switch up his approach to the basket or to reorient into a pass midair. He probably wouldn't be nearly as bad in a modern defense either, he was at least really long.

He'd play a bunch of 4 today and be a nightmare. Bird was really, really good and underrated by a people in their 30s because they only watched him at the end of his career when he was still good but not nearly as good as he was.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Kibner posted:

Glad I had quintet rehearsal tonight

What do you play

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

EvanTH posted:

What do you play

The quintet, obviously.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dr.Radical posted:

Did anyone post this yet? It's Larry Bird's birthday I guess, and they put together a reel. It's basically just 9 and a half minutes of Larry Bird telling everyone to gently caress off.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/12/08/nbas-new-larry-bird-highlight-video-will-blow-your-mind/

Ohhh Larry you lazy bum you good for nothin' never did anything in your life why don't you do something instead of sitting around being a lazy goof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5kaRbokoo8
edit: cc's site sucks

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 9, 2016

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Spurs bad.
If they were good they'd never lose a game

last night was like the culmination of all the things that are worrying about that team. it was painful to watch

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

DeimosRising posted:

I don't remember him being long so much as just being ball-smart and knowing where the play was going before pretty much anyone ever but Magic.

Guess I need to watch that video.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

EvanTH posted:

What do you play

French horn and Wagner tuba.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

EvanTH posted:

Ohhh Larry you lazy bum you good for nothin' never did anything in your life why don't you do something instead of sitting around being a lazy goof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5kaRbokoo8
edit: cc's site sucks

make no mistake magic johnson, i will loving end you

lmao

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Hopefully part of that deal is pushing BJ Armstrong into a sinkhole

edit: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources-donatas-motiejunas-agrees-to-new-deal-with-rockets-165145947.html

So he went from $8mil guaranteed and the second year partially guaranteed (the Rockets last offer in November) to $9mil guaranteed and three nonguaranteed years. Not only that, but he can also be traded in three months. :bravo:

chunkles fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 9, 2016

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Kibner posted:

French horn and Wagner tuba.

Hell yeah, manage those bass notes. Everyone should play music, play sports and dance.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

quote:

One day after Carmelo Anthony was again caught in the crossfire of Phil Jackson’s provocative comments, Anthony took to social media Thursday to offer seemingly coded messages in response.

Jackson, the Knicks’ president, made some critical comments about Anthony’s play in an interview with CBS Sports Network on Wednesday, and that did not seem to sit well with Anthony.

“EGO is the only requirement to destroy any relationship,” Anthony wrote on Twitter, along with a picture of himself. “So, be a BiGGER person, skip the “E” and let it “GO.”

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Wow he really hates Eric Gordon

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Or the drug aspect of rave culture? Very cryptic.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Coming soon to a poster in a high school guidance counselor's office near you.

(c) 2016 Me7o: The World's First Digital Athlete

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

My dumb team is a dumb embarrassment.

Same :)

27(!?) turnovers against the wizards last night

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

chunkles posted:

edit: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources-donatas-motiejunas-agrees-to-new-deal-with-rockets-165145947.html

So he went from $8mil guaranteed and the second year partially guaranteed (the Rockets last offer in November) to $9mil guaranteed and three nonguaranteed years. Not only that, but he can also be traded in three months. :bravo:

Not only that, but the deadline for the Rockets to opt-in to each of the remaining years on the deal is in mid-July, after free agency commences and the moratorium on signing is lifted. So the Rockets are free to shop for talent, and if they need to, they can simply waive D-Mo to make cap room if no easy trade materializes. Which kinda sucks for him, because the gold rush of free agency will likely be over, and teams that could have signed him will have likely allocated those cap dollars elsewhere.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Sheriff posted:

Not only that, but the deadline for the Rockets to opt-in to each of the remaining years on the deal is in mid-July, after free agency commences and the moratorium on signing is lifted. So the Rockets are free to shop for talent, and if they need to, they can simply waive D-Mo to make cap room if no easy trade materializes. Which kinda sucks for him, because the gold rush of free agency will likely be over, and teams that could have signed him will have likely allocated those cap dollars elsewhere.

I suspect if Houston waives him its because he cannot get on the floor. That contract is amazing for DMo if he can play.

I guess DMo gets a bit more money (which is important as this might be the last contract he can get) and Houston gets a bit more flexibility. BJ saves a little face, but this was still dumb drama that happened for no good reason.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
melo fuckin sucks go cleveland knicks

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

chunkles posted:

Um That seems like a better deal. 9 mil for one year.

If his body is actually broken that's more money. If it's not broken, then he has an extremely tradeable contract since it seems like he doesn't want to be in Houston anyway.

That contract essentially allows him to be a nuisance and easily get away from the team

Like this seems like the most ultimate gently caress you trade me or cut me contract I have ever seen in the world

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 9, 2016

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Unless DMo's back is so hosed he'll take medical retirement, that deal is going to be way less money for him over his career than the deal the Rockets offered before Nov. 24 or just taking the QO. And his agent is BJ Armstrong, not Dan Fegan, so he has no control over where he's going to be traded to.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Seems like DMo's only goal is to get the gently caress out of Houston. In which that deal will easily facilitate.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dexo posted:

Seems like DMo's only goal is to get the gently caress out of Houston. In which that deal will easily facilitate.

Again, if his goal was to get out of houston then he should have taken the QO. He'd be out of there in January.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

The deal the Rockets offered before was only 2 years long and 1 million dollars less guaranteed. Now he has no control over the next 4 years. I dunno what his feelings towards the Rockets are but they'll probably seem silly when he is grinding away on some 20-win team in 2020.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

chunkles posted:

The deal the Rockets offered before was 2 years and 1 million dollars less guaranteed. Now he has no control over the next 4 years.

Yeah, if he's good he gets to be picked up and traded wherever Houston wants him to. It's not like he can decide to be cut or traded somewhere specific.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

chunkles posted:

The deal the Rockets offered before was only 2 years long and 1 million dollars less guaranteed. Now he has no control over the next 4 years. I dunno what his feelings towards the Rockets are but they'll probably seem silly when he is grinding away on some 20-win team in 2020.

I think he'd be happy with that if it means he is playing basketball and getting paid. A lot of NBA teams thought there was little chance he'll still be playing by next year.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Sounds like Phil is trying to run Melo out of NY and convince him to let them trade him. He ran Jerry West out of the Lakers office so maybe it will work.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Phil Jackson should really just retire.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Im glad the NBA allows Kristaps to wear Tshirts NCAA style.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

euphronius posted:

Im glad the NBA allows Kristaps to wear Tshirts NCAA style.

I've been wondering about that: why is he allowed to wear shirts? It's definitely not some sort of compression thing.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Sounds like Phil is trying to run Melo out of NY and convince him to let them trade him. He ran Jerry West out of the Lakers office so maybe it will work.

Nothing would make me happier.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Jack's Flow posted:

I've been wondering about that: why is he allowed to wear shirts? It's definitely not some sort of compression thing.

Is there a rule against it? Kirk Hinrich once let a pile of compression sleeves in his jersey play for 8 minutes so I assumed there was no rule against what you wear as long as a ref doesn't call it a problem.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Jack's Flow posted:

I hate it
No loving shirts allowed
Mid major colleges wear shirts, not NBA players

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I will not stand for any slander of Every Grandma's Favorite Basketball Player, BJ Armstrong, on my forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

MourningView posted:

I will not stand for any slander of Every Grandma's Favorite Basketball Player, BJ Armstrong, on my forum

I like BJ Armstrong because we are both really bad at our jobs but have failed upwards

• Locked thread