Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

One week left to sign up for GWS Secret Santa. Do it sooner rather than later!

On a separate note, Happy Thanksgiving folks. May all your family dinners be perfectly prepared, and may all your liquor be sufficient to endure the other people at the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Not gonna GWS ss this year - because life tends to happen too much right now...

My oldest kid is right now in that phase of life where she is a drat hippie... It is fun to follow, even though she may be kicked out of the church because of her views (and entirely wrong questions)...

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I thought Danish churches were atheist.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Maybe she's being a bad atheist. Stop eating those wafers, kid!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Maybe she's being a bad atheist. Stop eating those wafers, kid!

Scandinavians are the agnostic kind of atheists.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It looks like broiling steaks is gonna have to do for me. I'm not sure how to get a crust going without overcooking the insides that way, though :( I'll experiment tonight with ~3 min per side broiling.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I deep fried SV burgers recently and loved them, maybe do the deep fry from frozen steaks?

This may also seem like it'll kill you th ough.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

On vacation in St. Thomas, and it's amazing how good the grocery stores have gotten. We have a full kitchen in our rental unit, and we haven't eaten out once yet.

I first visited here about 37 years ago, and I remember my mom packing a big cardboard box full of camping food: powdered milk, canned beans, dry cereal, Spam. Now there is a supermarket nearby, with an amazing selection and prices that rival markets back home. A full selection of Morningstar Farms, Indian food, Asian food, great veggies and meats.

They don't do a lot of farming on St Thomas, but there are some rasta farm shares on St. Croix. The hotel manager got us some local bok choy and arugula, and they are super yummy. The arugula is so intense!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I deep fried SV burgers recently and loved them, maybe do the deep fry from frozen steaks?

This may also seem like it'll kill you th ough.

Ive been giving a lot of thought to prepping SV burgs and then deep frying to order the next time I have a ton of people over. What was the timing like?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I fried for 1-1.5 minutes at 350. I could and will probably stretch that to 1.5-2 minutes next time. Patties were at room temp before the fry. The cheese wasn't very melty, but I wasn't using a goopy american. I think I did 129 for an hour in the SV, but don't exactly recall, freshground.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Crossposting between this and the general questions thread. Any suggestions on where to eat in the Seattle and Portland area? Heading there tomorrow through Sunday and figured I'd see what the Offal hivemind suggested.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

bartlebee posted:

Crossposting between this and the general questions thread. Any suggestions on where to eat in the Seattle and Portland area? Heading there tomorrow through Sunday and figured I'd see what the Offal hivemind suggested.

Du's
Ken's Artisan Pizza
Kim Jong Smokehouse

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Those all look great. Thanks!

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
so.. y'all have seen The 2016 Hater’s Guide To The Williams-Sonoma Catalog right? Because goddamn if it's not the highlight of my year, every year.

MOTHERFUCKING TRUFFLE OIL posted:

If you use truffle oil on ANY dish, Geoffrey Zakarian appears in a cloud of silver fog in your kitchen and slaps the living poo poo out of you.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Haha, I love truffle oil. It amuses me that it gets so much hate.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
How much should I tip? Should I even tip?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Croatoan posted:

How much should I tip? Should I even tip?

You don't tip the UPS guy for your Blue Apron box.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I tip the lady that checks my receipt at Costco

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I tip the lady that checks my receipt at Costco

Nice loving callback.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Rurutia posted:

Haha, I love truffle oil. It amuses me that it gets so much hate.

It's cool if you like it because compared to purchasing a product that has ever seen a truffle it's dirt cheap... but to me it tastes like plastic

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

so.. y'all have seen The 2016 Hater’s Guide To The Williams-Sonoma Catalog right? Because goddamn if it's not the highlight of my year, every year.

This guy is really mad about white people

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

pile of brown posted:

It's cool if you like it because compared to purchasing a product that has ever seen a truffle it's dirt cheap... but to me it tastes like plastic

I get why some people hate it, esp with the associations. It just amuses me because I love the poo poo out of it (a little drizzle on some roasted red pepper soup or popcorn or fries mmmmmmmmmmmm), and part of me just likes to revel in my bad (valley girl) taste sometimes. :lol:

I totally went to Tuscany and bought a bottle of truffle oil (it was truffle season), alongside some wines, aged balsamic, and olive oil straight from the vineyard. No shame.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Even if truffle oil is artificial and monotone compared to the real thing, it still tickles your nose in a rare way.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

AnonSpore posted:

This guy is really mad about white people

I mean, who shouldn't be.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
All that tartan poo poo looks awful for real

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I got a lead on next year's hot style

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Can I get one in brown?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We had those in avocado green at my house growing up.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

We had a pink and beige one, it was used to store the iced tea powder.

Why on earth did we drink so much 4C Iced Tea in my house when I was a kid...

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Yep, same here...stored our sugar and flour in them.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

The Midniter posted:

Yep, same here...stored our sugar and flour in them.

theres a will theres moe posted:

I got a lead on next year's hot style

Hello grandma's pantry

I'm waiting for someone to say, "Oh yeah those old containers were made of uranium and plastic so toxic that it melts your insides generations later."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MrSlam posted:

Hello grandma's pantry

I'm waiting for someone to say, "Oh yeah those old containers were made of uranium and plastic so toxic that it melts your insides generations later."

Only the yellow ones. The red ones are made of cadmium.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We had a complete set of brown and a complete set of green, plus some random orange ones. The best Tupperware ever.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

My mom had a full set of 60s Tupperware in that half-minty-green/half-hospital-green color. Most of it lasted at least 25 years, and I think she got 40 years out of the celery crisper box before she finally through it out.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I didn't know they made anything in that era in anything other than bright orange. Everything tupperware related in our house was bright orange. It makes sense, my family are super Broncos fans and even I, to this day, tend to buy things that are blue or orange.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I grew up with an old 60-something dodge motor home we called Bacon Butt. Entirely brown, orange, red, and white. I loved and totally miss Bacon Butt.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

For the hose unaware that I went back to college, I was just awarded the history department's thesis prize. My topic: a cultural history of beef in America.

Let me know if you have beef questions. :bigtran:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Mr. Wiggles posted:

For the hose unaware that I went back to college, I was just awarded the history department's thesis prize. My topic: a cultural history of beef in America.

I have a question: where's the beef?

but seriously, congratulations, that's a pretty huge deal!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I have a question: where's the beef?

Where do you want it? :bigtran::bigtran::bigtran:

quote:

but seriously, congratulations, that's a pretty huge deal!

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Well done!

That reminds me that in CineD someone worked at a cinema and listed the best wrong film titles people asked for. Beasts of the Southern Wild was asked for as The Best Beef In The South.

So, are you buying your Smithfield xmas ham from Costco?